Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Dead Kings isn't hitting for me, either. :( I've got the game on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
It downloads through uplay when you try to launch the game, fyi.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Tried launching both through steam and through uPlay, and nothing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Do you actually try to play the game? Because I just hit Play on uplay and it started downloading.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yes. Hitting Play on uPlay just causes the game to launch.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is this game playable now?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Pwnstar posted:

Is this game playable now?

I just beat it and I can tell you, without a doubt, no. Don't even loving try.

That last mission- gently caress, that last sequence, was quite possibly the most frustrated I've ever been with a video game in over ten years. I'm literally speechless by how bad my experience has been with this game. I just keep milling it over in my mind- "there's no way it could be this bad! AC4 was so great! Am I doing something wrong?!" But, no.

IT'S THAT BAD. :smithicide:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A heads up that many people on the Ubisoft forums report that the DLC is bugged and can even erase your save files so back them up before playing. :ubisoft:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Palpek posted:

A heads up that many people on the Ubisoft forums report that the DLC is bugged and can even erase your save files so back them up before playing. :ubisoft:

Ever since an unfortunate incident involving Tomb Raider and a sudden power outage while it was saving 90% through the game.. I'm glad I do cloud backups nightly now.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Grimace posted:

That last mission- gently caress, that last sequence, was quite possibly the most frustrated I've ever been with a video game in over ten years.

Why do people keep saying this, the entire game is easy as gently caress

Also, it's still not downloading the DLC, either launching it through Steam or uPlay. Anyone else actually get it to work on PC?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 14, 2015

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Daily Forecast posted:

Also, it's still not downloading the DLC, either launching it through Steam or uPlay. Anyone else actually get it to work on PC?
Yup, was able to start the download about this time yesterday. Though I didn't buy it on Steam. A quick look through the steamforums seems to confirm that being the problem: http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/622954302098171609/

Regarding initiates/uplay-problems: I wish we would know if they'll ever fix the member list for the clubs. I still enjoy killing random redshirts in co-op and would love to at least grab the creed point boosts gained through the club objectives.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
So, the main plot of Dead Kings raises some questions:

In the opening, Arno arrives in Franciade and meets the Marquis de Sade in a tavern. He offers Arno passage on a ship to Egypt in exchange for retrieving an artifact from the local tombs. At this point, there is no explanation as to why Arno might want to go Egypt.

The bad guys are attempting to open an elaborate door leading to an underground temple. Veteran players will recognise the architecture and technology as reminiscent of the Precursor style, though Arno has apparently no idea at what he is looking at. Seems like the Assassins never told him anything about the subject.

The sought-after artifact turns out to be an Apple of Eden (Arno uses it to take down groups of enemies at once in a nod to similar scenes in previous games). Arno entrusts it to an Assassin courier and tells him to deliver it to Al-Mualim in Cairo. Apparently, Arno has reconciled with the Brotherhood and learned of their counterparts in Egypt offscreen. There is also a sequel setup with hints that Arno went to Egypt later.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 14, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Wooze posted:

A quick look through the steamforums seems to confirm that being the problem: http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/622954302098171609/

Man, that's fuckin' stupid. Though it seems that it installed today while I was at work so whatever I guess. Just funny that the store page makes a huge deal out of "FREE DLC TODAY BUY NOW" and then it's delayed until the next day.

Kopijeger posted:

tells him to deliver it to Al-Mualim in Cairo

The guy who's been dead for, uh, six hundred years?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
That's definitely what he said. It is probably being used as a title rather than a personal name.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

Why do people keep saying this, the entire game is easy as gently caress

The amount of snipers in that area is atrocious, and guns are impossible to dodge in this game when you're in free-roam mode. Even in battle, if I don't press the dodge button at the right time, that takes a huge chunk off of my health out of nowhere- not to mention the fact that over 50% of the time, the crosshair prompts don't even appear on my UI. I've made it a point to shank every single sniper in eyesight because of this. I'm legitimately surprised you did not have trouble with that during the final mission.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So is the DLC actually out on Steam? I can't find a concrete answer.

I get that its out on Uplay. I've restarted Steam, verified my AC:Unity install. Kind of at a loss for what else I can try...

EDIT: Haha...just as I post this I find my answer:

I'm a moron who preordered.

Preorder has a different product code or whatever in the Steam database than just regular Unity and Ubisoft, in their infinite wisdom, haven't added the DLC on Steam for people who preordered yet.

THANKS UBISOFT!*

*I got Farcry 4 for free, so I guess I can't complain too much. :shobon:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 15, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Grimace posted:

The amount of snipers in that area is atrocious, and guns are impossible to dodge in this game when you're in free-roam mode. Even in battle, if I don't press the dodge button at the right time, that takes a huge chunk off of my health out of nowhere- not to mention the fact that over 50% of the time, the crosshair prompts don't even appear on my UI. I've made it a point to shank every single sniper in eyesight because of this. I'm legitimately surprised you did not have trouble with that during the final mission.

You got spotted, that's your problem :smug:

edit: But seriously, I dunno, I just don't remember the last mission particularly being hard, but then again I do my best to stay out of conflict at all times, and I do remember circling the entire place and systematically stealth-killing every last one of them before proceeding. Maybe do that?

I died on the final boss a few times through so I still suck at videogames

Snuffman posted:

I'm a moron who preordered.

I'm a moron who preordered too, and I downloaded the patch when I was gone at work and left steam running. Try right clicking the entry in the steam list and "view DLC" and see if Dead Kings is in there.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 15, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

I'm a moron who preordered too, and I downloaded the patch when I was gone at work and left steam running. Try right clicking the entry in the steam list and "view DLC" and see if Dead Kings is in there.

Hurf. I just loaded AC:U and it was there. No idea when it downloaded, perhaps when I verified cache?

:downs:

Whatevs. I'm enjoying it so far, and it seems to be running just fine. Yay. More SassyCreed!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I thought I was done with cockades! Now I have Napoleon hats to collect. Motherfucker.

If you're an idiot like me and you loved this game then this is literally more that. The new Raider gear, available to buy as soon as you start, is pretty rad looking.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

That's one thing they really did get right. I love all of the robe fashions.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

For me Steam started downloading a patch yesterday evening. One day late r than promised but hey.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Grimace posted:

That's one thing they really did get right. I love all of the robe fashions.
I need robes with longer tails. The phantom coat is cool, but I'm not a fan of the lapels. The prowler is much more reserved and thereby much more my style, but it's too leather. The musketeer one is perfect... except it doesn't have the iconic jacket physics that I love.

Basically what I'm saying is I'll buy AssCreed games until they make one that isn't a cape simulator

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Wasn't expecting an actual new city to run around in, with some cool Assassin's Creed II-esque dungeon segments to boot. Solid for the price of free.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is Dead Kings a side thing or is it meant to be played after you finish the main story?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The Grimace posted:

I'm legitimately surprised you did not have trouble with that during the final mission.

You'll maybe pick up from his posts that Daily Forecast has managed to be the only person on the planet to get a perfect copy of this amazing game.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

muscles like this? posted:

Is Dead Kings a side thing or is it meant to be played after you finish the main story?

It takes place after the main game.

As for the final mission, if people had trouble with it because of glitches, then that sucks and I sympathize. The actual mission design wasn't especially harder or easier than the rest of the game, though. Take out some roof guards, sneak in, kill target. Not a big departure from the norm IMO.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kin posted:

You'll maybe pick up from his posts that Daily Forecast has managed to be the only person on the planet to get a perfect copy of this amazing game.

Nah, plenty of other people have posted saying that their experience has been as relatively bug-free as mine. Maybe we're the only people not trying to run the game on a loving hamster wheel?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Daily Forecast posted:

Nah, plenty of other people have posted saying that their experience has been as relatively bug-free as mine. Maybe we're the only people not trying to run the game on a loving hamster wheel?

I guess Ubisoft is a great developer after all! Sorry for all the hassle we've caused you. Thanks for proving us wrong.

:tipshat:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

What settings are you using? What resolution? What's the actual framerate the game's running at? What hardware do you have?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kin posted:

Sorry, I found the game surprisingly easy and that last battle wasn't nearly as frustrating as the other guy is making it.

I had one bad night early on with terrible framerates. Then patches made it better and for the back half of the game I had no problems with performance. Ps4 digital copy.

The most frustrating thing in the game is the collecting of the pieces in the helix missions. That just isn't fun.

I'm at 96% complete. I will probably finish the last few % before the next iteration comes out.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Arno is the most aggressively milquetoast protagonist, even more so than Desmond.

The Assassin's Creed franchise continues to sap whatever goodwill I have for it with every product launch (though I usually never buy them at full price)

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Honestly, I like Arno as a character. Still no Ezio, but I find him to be far more interesting than every other AC protag. If anything, it surprises me that he's not being accepted as well as Ubisoft had expected.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, I dig Arno, he's cool enough. I mean, he doesn't have a charismatic uncle or QTEs where he undresses a chick, but that's already been done anyway. I just finished Sequence 7 and I loved how they did it, but I'm also kinda worried that they won't be able to top it.

I had to buy Staggering Strike in the middle of the mission, though :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Grimace posted:

Honestly, I like Arno as a character. Still no Ezio, but I find him to be far more interesting than every other AC protag. If anything, it surprises me that he's not being accepted as well as Ubisoft had expected.

If they had kept his pre-Assassin personality he would have been great but instead once you break out of the Bastille its almost like he's a different person.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sequence 7 was the weirdest. It was a good final mission that somehow ended as the middle of the game.

The game story as a whole is baffling from a craft point of view. The one plot resolution comes in the middle of the game and then it has to build momentum all over again, lots of arcs are set up and never really resolved, others spring out of nowhere... the coop plot does not fit the singleplayer one and in fact kind of contradicts it...

Design by comity I suppose.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Kuiperdolin posted:

Design by comedy I suppose.
FTFY

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Arno's okay, but Elise is pretty cool. I was pretty disappointed I wasn't playing as her, honestly.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Crappy Jack posted:

Arno's okay, but Elise is pretty cool. I was pretty disappointed I wasn't playing as her, honestly.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ubisoft had an early design sketch with Elise as the main character and Arno in a supporting role, but some suits walked in and said "But our sales projections say we can't do a female lead! CHANGE IT! CHANGE IT!"

(I think that argument's a load of poo poo, but there've been way more stupid arguments voiced by developers of this game already.)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Well, I'll be damned. Got a notification from GeForce Experience that it had suggestions for "optimal game performance" and when I let it optimize my game, it cleared up the stuttering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

PoshAlligator posted:

I guess Ubisoft is a great developer after all! Sorry for all the hassle we've caused you. Thanks for proving us wrong.

:tipshat:

Wow, you sure do seem angry about something. I'm sorry for enjoying videogames in your presence, fun police!

Seriously, get over yourself

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

What settings are you using? What resolution? What's the actual framerate the game's running at? What hardware do you have?

Mostly high settings, a few turned down to medium, I forget exactly which. Resolution is 1920x1080. Getting between 45-60 depending on what's going on- if I'm at the top of a view point and looking over Paris then it's on the lower end, street level and indoors tend to be smoother. I'm running an i5 2500k, Radeon R9 270X, 8 GB of ram. Fanciade runs better, probably because it's smaller.

• Locked thread