Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

blk posted:

I went for a poop but I am still standing here, perplexed.

I think you're supposed to AC Slater it. You'll know when you get it right because you'll hear an orchestra hit like Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You should be fine as long as its a class A. I wouldn't recommend a C.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Man, for $1 a pop, Taco Bell's new Crunchwrap Sliders are pretty loving awesome. They're cheap and the Spicy Chicken ones are pretty tasty. These things are rapidly becoming my "Cheap rear end lunch / dinner" mainstay for when I don't feel like making anything here :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

You should be fine as long as its a class A. I wouldn't recommend a C.

Yeah it's Class A. We rented a 15 passenger van last year and had 23 people crammed into it by the end of the night. The initial plan was to rent a Trolley bus but they're being babies about the weather and will only rent it for 5 hours.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

T1g4h posted:

The driving model in this game is really polarizing, I won't lie. I personally love it, it's easy to drift and rally down dirt roads once you get the hang of things. That being said, I know quite a few people absolutely despise it because the cars are somewhat quirky when it comes to cornering. It's... interesting. It takes some getting used to.
it reminds me a lot of TDU2 ... not exactly precision handling by any stretch, but it's good enough once you get used to it.

Of course, most of my time's been spent cruising around and exploring, without much in the way of racing. Haven't really cared too much about the whole 'game' part.

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

I went to go check parts prices from the BMW dealership today and when I left, a Maserati Ghibli and an Audi R8 had been parked nearby. Gosh dang, those cars look good.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Tomarse posted:

Thats a nice sounding bit of kit! I'd love to do an SSD array.

I work in educational IT, and this sort of VM chat makes me assume that I must do most of my work with very minimal amounts of kit!

How big are the systems you are running?

Here's the cluster I designed and deployed Q4 2014. The only picture I have is from my friends facebook wall, where he made me pose. Haha. Excuse the super geek. What's worse is the CIO blasted this around to the board of directors (at the company we installed this at.) Anyways, part of my job is building HPC environments. This deployment was 480 cores, 5TB DDR3 1600, connected via 40Gb Infiniband to three giant NAS providing 1.8PB combined SSD and Spindle storage. Sadly it's running... Windows... because of a massive gently caress up/failure on behalf of management. It's a long, frustrating story. But they are software locked for now. This thing running Cent OS 6.5 literally destroyed it's current Windows bloated self. /rant

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

the spyder posted:

480 cores, 5TB DDR3 1600, connected via 40Gb Infiniband to three giant NAS providing 1.8PB combined SSD and Spindle storage

:flashfap:

I need this in my life.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

AI Cross Country Tour!

I can't tell if everyone from AI got together in one RV whether we'd all get along really well or immediately want to kill each other.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Here's the cluster I designed and deployed Q4 2014. The only picture I have is from my friends facebook wall, where he made me pose. Haha. Excuse the super geek. What's worse is the CIO blasted this around to the board of directors (at the company we installed this at.) Anyways, part of my job is building HPC environments. This deployment was 480 cores, 5TB DDR3 1600, connected via 40Gb Infiniband to three giant NAS providing 1.8PB combined SSD and Spindle storage. Sadly it's running... Windows... because of a massive gently caress up/failure on behalf of management. It's a long, frustrating story. But they are software locked for now. This thing running Cent OS 6.5 literally destroyed it's current Windows bloated self. /rant

Beautiful. I wish I was still doing HPC work as well, but I got picked up by a small manufacturer as a Sys Admin. Its a comfortable job and lets be enjoy my hobbies while attending school.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 14, 2015

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
So we have a northeast and Canada AI thread, and I've noticed more than a couple TX goons- would there be any interest in an AI Texas thread? Or maybe just the southwest in general?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
For some reason my work decided long ago that 2nd level support analysts get 2 machines, a win7 laptop and a macbook. I just got my old macbook replaced by a new Macbook Pro 13, and holy poo poo its my favorite laptop I have ever used. Its just a work-funded 2000 dollar facebook machine, but hot drat if the screen isn't the best I have ever seen. The color depth and resolution are loving incredible.

I am not really a mac guy (although I certainly appreciate ios devices) but this is a nice piece of hardware.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BoostCreep posted:

I can't tell if everyone from AI got together in one RV whether we'd all get along really well or immediately want to kill each other.

Only one person can drive an RV at once, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's now a Breaking Bad/Spaceballs themed party.

Any other famous RVs I should add in?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I went and ate pho with a bunch of VW drivers, pho was good, conversation was interesting and most importantly I learned about this place

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/small-business/article2623946.html

Rent your own bay for $20/hr :aaaaa:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
They just opened something similar to this in Des Moines. I have been saying this is a great concept for years, I am just curious about the liability.... but I am sure you sign off saying if you drop the car on your head you are poo poo out of luck.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well poo poo. I ordered a replacement screen for my phone last week, just replaced it, phone turns on, new screen works, data works, text messages work, but it says voice is out of service and won't make or receive calls.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any reason NOT to buy a Hobart Auto Arc 130? http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hobart-auto-arc-130-wire-feed-mig-welding-kit/0000000031165

This seems to be a pretty decent deal, the only thing I would rather have is better regulator, but that can be upgraded down the road.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

rscott posted:

I went and ate pho with a bunch of VW drivers, pho was good, conversation was interesting and most importantly I learned about this place

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/small-business/article2623946.html

Rent your own bay for $20/hr :aaaaa:

I still can't believe that in this day and age of lawsuits and insurance bullshit that these DIY garages are not only surviving, but thriving. The one that I know of in town is always busy in spite of being staffed by the crankiest loving South African I've ever met.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrChips posted:

I still can't believe that in this day and age of lawsuits and insurance bullshit that these DIY garages are not only surviving, but thriving. The one that I know of in town is always busy in spite of being staffed by the crankiest loving South African I've ever met.

DIY Indy has a 17 page waiver you have to sign and like 4 single page release forms. A dude did knock his car off the lift and tried to sue. He did not win.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I think they have specific insurance. The local one let's you do anything except weld, but the owner will weld things for you. He claims it's for insurance reasons.

You can also use their ac machine for $5.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any reason NOT to buy a Hobart Auto Arc 130? http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hobart-auto-arc-130-wire-feed-mig-welding-kit/0000000031165

This seems to be a pretty decent deal, the only thing I would rather have is better regulator, but that can be upgraded down the road.

I dont know about that one specifically but I just got a Handler 190 and its soooo nice. Really impressed with Hobart so far.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MrChips posted:

I know right? This place makes you sign a waiver and watch a safety video before you can do poo poo but gently caress the tool list is pretty much everything you could want:
code:

Other Shop Equipment

Hydraulic Press
    Coil Spring compressor
    Engine Pick
    Engine Hoist
    Transmission Jack
    Fuel Tank Support
    Screw Jack
    Aqueous Parts Washer

Brake Lathe
    Rim Clamp Tire Machine
    Wheel balancer
    Battery Charger
    OBDII Code Reader
    Air compressor

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

See if you can find a 140/135/130 or the Miller equiv. Those lunchbox size machines lack the nice stable arc of the larger/heavier transformer machines. And it's a small price difference. Used ones hold their value, so some times it's easier to wait for a sale like Zoro tools just had. 30% off made the HH140 $420 shipped. But that sale only happens a few times per year.

You care about three things when Mig welding. Amps, wire speed, duty cycle. Power means nothing if it only lasts 30 seconds at 70%. Also, don't cheap out on a welding helmet. Your eyes are worth more then a $40 HF auto-dark. Trust me.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 14, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am just going with a regular dark shield instead of the auto dark stuff. I used to stick weld with a regular helmet, figured I can use a standard one for the time being then buy a nice auto darkening hood later down the road.

I plan on just using it for auto body work, so I shouldn't be pegging out the duty cycle. And if I do need access to heavy duty stuff, fiance's dad has a shop with higher end Miller stuff. I don't know where I will land house wise, so I would much rather have the 115v flexibility for now then upgrade down the road.

Plus in this area, every one treats Miller like its beyond gold, and asking 1000+ for machines at the middle of their life, and 500 for broken machines.

Edit: from my understanding with Illinois tool owning both Miller and Hobart, they are pretty similar in features, but the Hobart is a model year or two behind the Miller equivalent. It could be total horse poo poo as well, but I did check out the auto arc in the store today, and it had Miller on the torch. heh, beaten vvvv

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 14, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Hobarts are essential last gen Millers. They are great little machines. The 140/135/130 are all 120v. See if any local welding supply shops will let you demo a machine. I just bought a MM140 for dedicated .25 sheet metal work, but I wish I had saved $250 and just bought the Hobart.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
550v excitation. :flaccid: goddamn.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
They were calling 4160V "Medium Voltage" in the meeting today :psypop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Versus 'Well Done' Voltage :smug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A gnat's hair away from $10 to fill up from half a tank.

I can deal with this.

Adiabatic posted:

Technically, 4160V is medium voltage, when it comes to generation and transmission. Most of the lines you see along city streets are either 7kV or 13.2kV.

This lists IEEE standards for low/medium/high/etc.

e: VVV holy gently caress, we posted the exact same thing?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 14, 2015

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

There are a bunch of definitions for low/medium/high voltages but I think most of the reasonable ones would have that as medium. I don't think I ever want to be in anyway involved with extra-high voltages :stonk:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

T1g4h posted:

Man, for $1 a pop, Taco Bell's new Crunchwrap Sliders are pretty loving awesome. They're cheap and the Spicy Chicken ones are pretty tasty. These things are rapidly becoming my "Cheap rear end lunch / dinner" mainstay for when I don't feel like making anything here :v:

Thanks, dick. Now I know about these and have a reason to hate myself tomorrow. :v:

Just kidding I don't need a reason.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

jamal posted:

Well poo poo. I ordered a replacement screen for my phone last week, just replaced it, phone turns on, new screen works, data works, text messages work, but it says voice is out of service and won't make or receive calls.

Do a full system reset from scratch, pull SIM and reflash stock firmware. Do over.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

I DON'T NEED A CDL TO DRIVE AN RV???

HELLO BEAUTIFUL

I thought this would be more your style:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

T1g4h posted:

I saw that commercial. I can't figure why they're sticking junk food into already junk fast food. Frito's in a junk taco? Ick.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 14, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

West SAAB Story posted:

Do a full system reset from scratch, pull SIM and reflash stock firmware. Do over.

Ok thanks. I kinda mangled up the antenna getting the back of the case off so I'm thinking that's the problem, although like I said data, wifi, and texts still work. Have a new one coming. It is stock firmware but I'll do a reset if the antenna doesn't fix it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You guys getting excited about the tech specs of that generator, here's another mind blowing fact - two decades ago (when I was sort of involved in that industry) those things generated around $30,000 worth of electricity every hour. Back before Y2K when everyone was flipping their poo poo over the possibility of software generated blackouts, I just sat back and laughed. As if the power company would let that kind of coin slip through their hands over a software glitch.

I used to design maintenance equipment for things like that, where they talk about downtime not in days or weeks but millions of dollars. Just to drive the point home. One of our customers did a test retrofit replacing a GE turbine with a Siemens turbine, and the project budget was 83 million bucks. Siemens had to promise that the gain in efficiency would pay the 83 mil back in 2 years. They paid it back in 8 months. And that was the improvement plus downtime over the GE turbine. Pretty mind boggling.

Re-read this, I made a few glitches and have edited it like 3 times. Sorry.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

LloydDobler posted:

You guys getting excited about the tech specs of that generator, here's another mind blowing fact - two decades ago (when I was sort of involved in that industry) those things generated around $30,000 worth of electricity every hour. Back before Y2K when everyone was flipping their poo poo over the possibility of software generated blackouts, I just sat back and laughed. As if the power company would let that kind of coin slip through their hands over a software glitch.

I used to design maintenance equipment for things like that, where they talk about downtime not in days or weeks but millions of dollars. Just to drive the point home. One of our customers did a test retrofit replacing a GE turbine with a Siemens turbine, and the project budget was 83 million bucks. Siemens had to promise that the gain in efficiency would pay the 83 mil back in 2 years. They paid it back in 8 months. And that was the improvement plus downtime over the GE turbine. Pretty mind boggling.

Re-read this, I made a few glitches and have edited it like 3 times. Sorry.

Neat, my grandfather was involved in y2k fixes in a lot of nuclear facilities around the country before he retired. The budget of these type of things is mind blowing.

• Locked thread