Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There are various reasons why I don't really frequent any of the forums for BGG but the constant cheerleading despite all odds is probably my main reason. Also I hate the wargaming community there, but not as much as I hate the 18xx community there.

Anyone that has every talked about 18xx there knows what I'm talking about regarding the latter statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The BGG facebook page is an even worse den of wide eyed neophytes, carebears and crotchety grognards.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lorini posted:

Orleans is available from Amazon.de from a French shipper who will ship internationally. It'll be pricey though, probably close to funagain.com's original $99 with shipping.

If you will be buying the "English/German first edition", keep in mind that it comes with some non-critical German text on it. It includes an English rulebook but all other "flavor" texts and player-aid (the tiny square thing on the last shot below) is in German. Perfectly playable if you don't mind it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Does Wil Wheaton actually like more complex games? He can't just play Ticket to Ride and Catan for Kids all the time, right? Maybe he is using Tabletop as some trojan horse, like the TV show equivalent of a gateway game, and now that he has some momentum he'll sneak Space Alert or Battlestar or something else amazing in there. I think more complicated games could really benefit from a studio with actual editing and graphics and stuff.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 14, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does Wil Wheaton actually like more complex games? He can't just play Ticket to Ride and Catan for Kids all the time, right? Maybe he is using Tabletop as some trojan horse, like the TV show equivalent of a gateway game, and now that he has some momentum he'll sneak Space Alert or Battlestar or something else amazing in there. I think more complicated games could really benefit from a studio with actual editing and graphics and stuff.

A friend of mine, who is practically a genius when it comes to card games and has multiple national and world tournament wins under his belt, would die a happy man if he only ever played Catan and maybe 7 Wonders for the rest of his life. This world is so corrupt.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there really a huge Dominion expansion with like 400 cards coming in 2015?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

A friend of mine, who is practically a genius when it comes to card games and has multiple national and world tournament wins under his belt, would die a happy man if he only ever played Catan and maybe 7 Wonders for the rest of his life. This world is so corrupt.

Some people genuinely like Monopoly and vanilla Risk and have no desire to play anything more than that. Compared to, what, ten years ago, someone playing only Catan and 7 Wonders would be seen as either remarkably progressive or remarkably nerdy or maybe some combination of the two.

I don't disagree with the criticisms of Tabletop but I also don't think it's out there to suggest that Tabletop is, in large part, Wil Wheaton playing games he thinks are cool and fun with his weird internet acquaintances that he also turns into a show and not part of a larger attempt to sneak-introduce people to the wider world of esoteric board games. That may, in large part, be why the show is full of inaccuracies and such, because instead of concerning itself with accuracy it's basically one step up from "Bob's Gaming Group Does a Podcast of Our RPG Session" with better production values.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

They have a long list of requirements for what they play on the show because it's primarily entertainment reality TV. Stuff with lots of hidden information or complicated cards or what have you is hard to film in their style and be immediately appreciated by people who haven't played the game before.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I don't think anyone believes Tabletop is anything other than that, but what is notable is how much it influences sales - there is a very clear 'Tabletop effect' that is the result of people rushing out and buying the games he showcases on there. His show has provided a big bump for some very lovely games, as well as some good ones.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

The End posted:

I don't think anyone believes Tabletop is anything other than that, but what is notable is how much it influences sales - there is a very clear 'Tabletop effect' that is the result of people rushing out and buying the games he showcases on there. His show has provided a big bump for some very lovely games, as well as some good ones.

Definitely. At the game store my gaming group plays at, they specifically have a "Seen on Tabletop" section. I don't like the show, but if it brings business to my FLGS, I'm all for it.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

The End posted:

Tabletop is the reason my sister bought me Munchkin a couple years ago, probably a few mere months after I got rid of the copy I had bought during my misguided high school years :saddowns:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Bubble-T posted:

They have a long list of requirements for what they play on the show because it's primarily entertainment reality TV. Stuff with lots of hidden information or complicated cards or what have you is hard to film in their style and be immediately appreciated by people who haven't played the game before.

I'd put more stock in this reasoning if they went to the effort of getting the rules right. Once you've given up on that, what does it matter if people can follow every detail?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'd put more stock in this reasoning if they went to the effort of getting the rules right. Once you've given up on that, what does it matter if people can follow every detail?

Just imagine how much they'd get wrong if they played games with more than 4 rules.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Bubble-T posted:

Just imagine how much they'd get wrong if they played games with more than 4 rules.

I'd watch a tabletop of Go.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Megasabin posted:

Is there really a huge Dominion expansion with like 400 cards coming in 2015?

Yeah, but isn't that fairly average sized for an expansion? Base Box and Intrigue have 500 each, and the non-standalone expansions are like 300+ right?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

Yeah, but isn't that fairly average sized for an expansion? Base Box and Intrigue have 500 each, and the non-standalone expansions are like 300+ right?

Dominion, Intrigue, and Dark Ages are 500
Seaside, Prosperity, and Hinterlands are 300
Alchemy, Cornucopia, and Guilds are 150
Base Cards is 250
There are 66 promos, counting blanks.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jivjov posted:

Base set and Intrigue are 500 each, 200 of which are the base cards. The full-box expansions are 300 cards, the half-size expansions are 150 cards. The exception is Dark Ages, which is 500 cards but doesn't come with base cards. 400 is pretty big for a non-standalone - it would be the second-largest after Dark Ages in terms of non-base cards content.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FISHMANPET posted:

Question for those who've played Viticulture: is there any maintenance cost for workers or anything like that? AKA if I have the 4 Lira every turn is there any reason not to keep hiring more workers?

The main reason not to hire all your workers is that the game usually ends by year 6 or 7. If you're not careful you can end up spending $4 and an action to get one action back.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My understanding is that the explicit purpose of Tabletop is to try to popularize hobbyist tabletop gaming among the general public, so the odds that it will ever feature higher complexity games that particularly appeal to people who are already sold on hobbyist tabletop gaming are pretty slim, at best.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

The main reason not to hire all your workers is that the game usually ends by year 6 or 7. If you're not careful you can end up spending $4 and an action to get one action back.

There are also a number of visitors that let you hire workers in ways that are superior in some way to the basic hiring action, so it might be worth keeping at least one or two back in case you get one of those.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm just curious if he's interested in more complicated games outside of the context of the show or if Tabletop is simply his favorite games. Not trying to neuro or casual shame :colbert:.

I haven't watched any of the episodes since the first season. The second season looks a bit more interesting -- they've played Lords of Waterdeep, Shadows over Camelot, Stone Age, Star Wars Miniatures, Lords of Las Vegas, etc so it's not all Munchkin and Fluxx (with stuff like Catan Junior sprinkled in..). I don't see something like Space Alert or Galaxy Trucker as being way out of bounds. I bet they'll play Dead of Winter at some point.

Edit: I'm also super leery of a 400 card expansion of new cards. Not as confident that these would get the playtesting to match the rest of the sets.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 14, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I've seen him positively mention Agricola, Power Grid, Tzolk'in, Arkham Horror, BSG. He doesn't like TI3, I can't remember him saying a negative thing about any other games.

edit: lmao he rated Sorry! a 10 on bgg.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 14, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The complete list of games for season 3:

quote:

Tokaido – Jason Wishnov, J. August Richards, Chris Kluwe
Concept – Joseph Scrimshaw, Rett and Link
Roll For It and Sushi Go! – Jason Ritter, Jennifer Hale, John Ross Bowie
Forbidden Desert – Felicia Day, Alan Tudyk, Jon Heder
Love Letter and Coup – The Fine Brothers and Felicia Day
Hare & Tortoise and Council of Verona – Jessica Merizan, David Kwong, Alison Haislip
Sheriff of Nottingham – Meredith Salenger, Ashley Clements, Derek Mio
Stone Age – Nika Harper, Jesse Cox, Jordan Maron
Geek Out – Anne Wheaton, Bonnie Burton, Clare Kramer
Five Tribes: Jenna Busch, Richard Garriot, Satine Phoenix
Epic Spell Wars: Jonah Ray, Emily Gordon, Veronica Belmont
Mice & Mystics, Chapter One – Anne Wheaton, Ryan Wheaton, Nolan Kopp
Dread – Molly Lewis, Ivan Van Norman, Laura Bailey
Catan Junior – Emily Anderson, Brett, Baligrad, Adam Chernick
Libertalia – Karen Gillan, Seth Green, Clare Grant
Kingdom Builder – Yuri Lowenthal, Tara Platt, Paul Scheer
Dead of Winter – Dodger Leigh, Grant Imahara, Ashley Johnson
Legendary – Allie Brosh, Mark Fischbach, Brea Grant
Tabletop After Dark: Cards Against Humanity – Aisha Tyler, Ali Spagnola, Laina Morris
http://wilwheaton.net/2014/10/tabletop-season-3-the-complete-list-of-games-and-players/

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Richard Garriot and Five Tribes. For some reason, I already feel that's a comedy goldmine waiting to happen. No, seriously.

I'll actually want to check that and the Libertalia episode.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh poo poo, Chris Kluwe?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
OTOH, even the awesomeness of Allie Brosh won't be enough to get me to watch a playthrough of Legendary.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Somberbrero posted:

Truly a theme and a game worthy of each other; both keep going well after they've outstayed their welcome.
Somber, you stole my joke. :colbert:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Memnaelar posted:

OTOH, even the awesomeness of Allie Brosh won't be enough to get me to watch a playthrough of Legendary.

I am mighty tempted by this, must say.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
As much as I loathe Cards Against Humanity, I would totally play with Aisha Tyler.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm just curious if he's interested in more complicated games outside of the context of the show or if Tabletop is simply his favorite games. Not trying to neuro or casual shame :colbert:.

I haven't watched any of the episodes since the first season. The second season looks a bit more interesting -- they've played Lords of Waterdeep, Shadows over Camelot, Stone Age, Star Wars Miniatures, Lords of Las Vegas, etc so it's not all Munchkin and Fluxx (with stuff like Catan Junior sprinkled in..). I don't see something like Space Alert or Galaxy Trucker as being way out of bounds. I bet they'll play Dead of Winter at some point.

Edit: I'm also super leery of a 400 card expansion of new cards. Not as confident that these would get the playtesting to match the rest of the sets.

All of those are still pretty lightweight (except maybe the Star Wars minis, I dunno), as these things go. Though, for that matter, so is (unexpanded) Galaxy Trucker, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that either. Space Alert is likely to make entertaining viewing but it has enough of a learning curve that I don't know if it's likely.

I have no idea what Wheaton's into in his personal gaming time, but I don't think we can deduce too much from what he chooses to put on Tabletop for previously mentioned reasons.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

reddit posted:

Recently Munchkin has been ruined for me.

I used to think it was a fun, light-hearted game that was relatively quick to play. However, my wife and I were invited to a New Year's Eve party and asked to bring Munchkin. We brought two copies, because we knew there would be a fair number of people there.

When everyone decided it was time to play, there ended up being twelve people who wanted to play. I suggested we split into two groups, otherwise the game would drag on for way too long. The dynamics of the game aren't designed for that many players.

I was outvoted and literally five hours later I played the "It's my game, and I'm ready to go home" card. It wasn't my most shining moment, but I couldn't take it any more.

Hail satan :unsmigghh:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

That thread is full of people realising super obvious flaws in games they like, it's hilarious.

Like the OP seems surprised someone had massive AP playing Five Tribes as though it wasn't a scientifically engineered experiment in causing AP.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 14, 2015

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Tabletop actually got me interested in board games. After I watched the Tokaido episode a few months ago it looked so fun that me and my friends decided to check out a board game cafe. To be fair we started with the stuff they've featured on Tabletop like Betrayal at House On the Hill and Pandemic since that was in our comfort zone. But just this week we've played a dozen games of Dominion, and our first games of Mage Knight and Twilight Struggle.

So I guess Tabletop "worked" for me in terms of having that stepping stone in between just knowing the existence of Monopoly and maybe Catan, and sinking 5 hours into Mage Knight. Also I would love to see Battlestar Galactica on Tabletop, especially since Wil Wheaton could probably invite the cast of the show on and that's something that I would die to see.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Bubble-T posted:

That thread is full of people realising super obvious flaws in games they like, it's hilarious.

Like the OP seems surprised someone had massive AP playing Five Tribes as though it wasn't a scientifically engineered experiment in causing AP.

I have this problem with one my friends - he takes like 5-15 minute turns in games like Dominion and Castles of Burgundy :psyduck: And God help you if try to play any heavy eurogames as he has to math out every single move he can take. With no hyperbole, I can say a game of Five Tribes would take more than four hours.

I don't enjoy playing games with him anymore.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I have two friends who are notoriously slow. One lives interstate so I don't play with him much, the other one we just give a bit him a bit of poo poo every time we play. I occasionally feel a bit bad about it because it's like we're picking on him and he's just trying to not get destroyed when he learns a game but seriously.. it should not take 9 loving hours to play a 3 player game of Agricola and a 3 player game of Caverna even if you eat lunch in the middle.

I don't mind people having a bit of a think about options they understand mind you, it's just when someone is doing their best impression of Buriden's rear end except they don't even know enough about the game to tell whether the options are equal. If you have a decision to make between two things you don't properly understand then it doesn't actually matter which one you pick! Just do something and learn!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Big McHuge posted:

As much as I loathe Cards Against Humanity, I would totally play with Aisha Tyler.

Noooope.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Combaticus posted:

What would you guys like to see in a review?

I want to see someone who's willing not just to give their personal opinion on a game but also figure out who it's for. Very few games are 100% crap, I want to know what it's trying to do and why it does or doesn't work. Things like "game Y does this mechanic better, but this game is easier to start playing and finishes an hour faster."

For the most part SUSD does this, or at least tries to. Sometimes they get sidetracked with "make it entertaining" or just don't seem to have put in the effort that week, and then there's the D&D 5E "review" which read like a direct quote of the marketing ad copy, but I can usually figure out whether something they review is for me. On the other hand I could probably get that information from watching anyone review a board game, as long as they're watchable, I do most of the analysis myself.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Durendal posted:

I have this problem with one my friends - he takes like 5-15 minute turns in games like Dominion and Castles of Burgundy :psyduck: And God help you if try to play any heavy eurogames as he has to math out every single move he can take. With no hyperbole, I can say a game of Five Tribes would take more than four hours.

I don't enjoy playing games with him anymore.

The problem with games in which there is an optimal move for a given player in a given situation is that some players will actually take the time to try to find it. Pure randomness is the only solution. Replace all of your board games with a single d20, and see who can guess the rolls.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Any good pirate or viking themed games floating about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Probad posted:

The problem with games in which there is an optimal move for a given player in a given situation is that some players will actually take the time to try to find it. Pure randomness is the only solution. Replace all of your board games with a single d20, and see who can guess the rolls.

Then you just play it like poker and figure out the EV for every possible scenario. Get wrekt no luck havers