Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I use AirPlay + AirServer at work on occasion. I'll double check if it gives me a native resolution option.

I got AirServer installed, but not sure now how to display my MacBook Pro screen on my PC.

[edit]
Whoops, I figured it out after some more searching. But I can't use the keyboard and mouse on my PC yet while mirroring.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I got AirServer installed, but not sure now how to display my MacBook Pro screen on my PC.
If your MBP not a newer model that supports AirPlay Mirroring?

edit: Also this won't allow you to control the Mac. It's just leveraging AirPlay to act a second monitor.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If your MBP not a newer model that supports AirPlay Mirroring?

edit: Also this won't allow you to control the Mac. It's just leveraging AirPlay to act a second monitor.

Gotcha, I didn't fully understand. This gets pretty close to what I was looking for though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Gotcha, I didn't fully understand. This gets pretty close to what I was looking for though.

Use Synergy with it. It's a network based KM switcher. I've been using it for a while. I use it to share the same keyboard and mouse across multiple systems. It's $10 for a single user perpetual license for as many systems as you want to use.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Does Spotify not support retina resolutions still? I'm trying to put a full screen Spotify window on my iPad via Duet Display and the content windows are all janky in Spotify when I set the resolution to retina.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
This is a very niche recommendation, but for any of you guys with reading problems/dyslexia, Overlays on the app store is a great app to help with it (also has a Windows version). It's definitely been a great app for me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I dug out my old iPad1 out of its box too, but then I saw that you need iOS7+ :(

Back in the box you go.

They listed it as iOS 5.1 five days ago or so . . . When I bought it for my iPad 1. :argh:

Still deciding if I want to bother loving with the refund process.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wooger posted:

Firefox doesn't support html5 Netflix, as it requires a proprietary DRM plugin, which as far as I'm aware only exists for Chrome.

You can get html5 Netflix with Safari too.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
How would I go about hosting a SOCKS 5 proxy from my OSX server?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Triglav posted:

How would I go about hosting a SOCKS 5 proxy from my OSX server?

Not sure what version of SOCKS, but you can set up a SOCKS proxy using the -D option in ssh.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

I think I remember reading that it was SOCKS 4? In any case, I don't fully understand it.

Do I do ssh -D on my server, and then connect with my client machine using my server's address, login name, and password?

If I want to turn the proxy off, do I do ssh +D?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Triglav posted:

I think I remember reading that it was SOCKS 4? In any case, I don't fully understand it.

Do I do ssh -D on my server, and then connect with my client machine using my server's address, login name, and password?

This is old, but probably still applicable

https://www.mikeash.com/ssh_socks.html

EDIT: Not sure if the latest SSH shipping with OS X supports SOCKS 5, but give it a shot. The commands are the same.
Just set your client browser SOCKS proxy settings to the IP of the server running the SOCKS instance.

Just run it in a term on the OS X server. Either close the term or ctrl-C back to the prompt.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 12, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Triglav posted:

Do you have SSH server running on your server? If you can SSH to it from your laptop, you're almost there.

a) Check your /etc/sshd_config file on the server to make sure tunnelling is enabled.

b) SSH to your server from your laptop, using the -D switch in your command, and specifying the port you want the proxy to run on.

c) point your laptop's browser at a socks proxy at localhost:port and enjoy.

Ultimately, read the openssh man pages.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wooger posted:

Do you have SSH server running on your server? If you can SSH to it from your laptop, you're almost there.

a) Check your /etc/sshd_config file on the server to make sure tunnelling is enabled.

b) SSH to your server from your laptop, using the -D switch in your command, and specifying the port you want the proxy to run on.

That's it! Sorry for confusing the issue. I remember using this way long ago before I started using the VPN built into OS X server, just not the particulars.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

wooger posted:

a) In my OSX server's /etc/sshd_config file I've gone and uncommented and changed these lines:
PasswordAuthentication yes #default no and commented
Tunnel yes #default no and commented

b) I'm connecting from Windows, and I have tested that the server is connectable through PuTTY.
c) The specific program I'm tunneling just sits there trying to connect via proxy forever. I suspect it's because OSX has SOCKS 4, and this program asks for SOCKS 5.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Triglav posted:

a) In my OSX server's /etc/sshd_config file I've gone and uncommented and changed these lines:

b) I'm connecting from Windows, and I have tested that the server is connectable through PuTTY.
c) The specific program I'm tunneling just sits there trying to connect via proxy forever. I suspect it's because OSX has SOCKS 4, and this program asks for SOCKS 5.

I *think* firefox still support 4. You can try with that.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

It does, but I am not tunneling a web browser.

I've successfully installed cntlm but gently caress if I can figure this thing out.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I don't know if this belongs here, or elsewhere so feel free to tell me where it should go!

I'm trying to download some pdfs from a website and there are about 300 so doing it by hand is a pain. I tried using SiteSucker to download them, but it's failing for some reason.

The files are located in

code:
http://www.fpoe.at/fileadmin/Content/portal/NFZ/YY/nfzNNYY.pdf
The YY varies from 05 to 14 (2005-2014) and the NN goes from 01-52, but they don't each have 52 pdfs.

I tried googling for automated downloading with a mask, but get nothing. I've got a Parallels Windows install if there's something there that'd be easier.

edit : With a bit of SublimeText magic I made a txt file with 520 urls and I'm feeding that into wget.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 12, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Triglav posted:

It does, but I am not tunneling a web browser.

I've successfully installed cntlm but gently caress if I can figure this thing out.

cntlm is only needed if you want to tunnel through a proxy server that requires NTLM authentication.

To start from first principles, when I ssh from machine A to machine B:

ssh -D 8080 coxy@B

A SOCKS proxy is created on A:8080.
On machine A you can test this by using say firefox, going into the network settings, and selecting a SOCKS proxy which is 127.0.0.1:8080.
Is that all working?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

I guess not? Whenever I do ssh -D 8080 user@server from my client, I end up getting a terminal for the server and a "non-responsive proxy" in Firefox.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Possibly it is assuming from the port 8080, or from you putting the proxy ip and port in the wrong field, that it's trying to talk to an HTTP proxy and not a SOCKS proxy?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

empty baggie posted:

You've got adware. Use this: http://www.adwaremedic.com

This solved the problem I had and scored me some brownie points at work. Much appreciated. I also donated to TheSafeMac.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Sad Panda posted:

I don't know if this belongs here, or elsewhere so feel free to tell me where it should go!

I'm trying to download some pdfs from a website and there are about 300 so doing it by hand is a pain. I tried using SiteSucker to download them, but it's failing for some reason.

The files are located in

code:
http://www.fpoe.at/fileadmin/Content/portal/NFZ/YY/nfzNNYY.pdf
The YY varies from 05 to 14 (2005-2014) and the NN goes from 01-52, but they don't each have 52 pdfs.

I tried googling for automated downloading with a mask, but get nothing. I've got a Parallels Windows install if there's something there that'd be easier.

edit : With a bit of SublimeText magic I made a txt file with 520 urls and I'm feeding that into wget.

code:
for YY in {05..14}; do
    for NN in {01..52}; do
        curl -fO http://www.fpoe.at/fileadmin/Content/portal/NFZ/${YY}/nfz${NN}${YY}.pdf
        if [ "$?" -eq 22 ]; then rm -f nfz${NN}${YY}.pdf; fi;
    done
done
Error 22 from curl is when it detects a 404 so it removes the file it gets (which is the 404 HTML page).

If you're feeling nice, put a "sleep 5" or something before the first "done" so you're not just hammering their servers.

Written in zsh, pretty sure bash supports the {x...y} syntax though. If not, replace with $( seq -w x y ).

(e: added -w option to seq, and removed bbcode url tags which got added automatically)

JamesOff fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 13, 2015

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Triglav posted:

"Tunnel yes" sounds like a ssh client-side option to request tun(4) device forwarding, which is essentially a bare-bones SSH-based VPN and needs a bit more configuration at both ends to be useful. The corresponding sshd_config keyword should be "PermitTunnel".

But I think your sshd_config should have

AllowTcpForwarding yes

If this is not set, then sshd will reject all -L, -R and -D forwarding requests.

If there is a PermitOpen keyword, it should be commented out or list the allowed port forwarding destinations (or "any").

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
For awhile now I've been running into an issue with WiFi on my rMBP. Every so often it stays connected but does not allow me to load pages. Even something as a simple ping doesn't work, if I do a ping it does not even give me the timeout message. It can be fixed by turning on and off WiFi. It's a bit annoying and have no idea why it is doing this. Any suggestions? Should say I'm Yosemite and up to date on everything.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

calandryll posted:

For awhile now I've been running into an issue with WiFi on my rMBP. Every so often it stays connected but does not allow me to load pages. Even something as a simple ping doesn't work, if I do a ping it does not even give me the timeout message. It can be fixed by turning on and off WiFi. It's a bit annoying and have no idea why it is doing this. Any suggestions? Should say I'm Yosemite and up to date on everything.

It might be this issue:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-you-can-do-to-fix-it/

But I dunno if you really want to apply the fix, which is (for now) to basically install mDNSResponder from 10.9 into 10.10 and disable some stuff in 10.10. The other possible temp fix is to kill discoveryd and restart it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 13, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Triglav posted:

OSX uses OpenSSH, same as on any BSD or Linux.
your choice for the first line in a) is insecure, I recommend changing it, and the 2nd line should be PermitTunnel, as mentioned already.

You understand that the proxy tunnel will only be open when you have the ssh connection (via putty or whatever ) live, right?
If you're on windows, and you have putty, you'll want to make a copy of your current connection, then modify it by going into SSH->Tunnels

Configure the port, and choose dynamic for the destination.

You can also stop it from opening a prompt elsewhere in the options, though it make no difference to functionality.

It works fine for me as a socks5 proxy from Firefox.
localhost:51367

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So my NetNewsWire demo apparently lapsed, it seems months after I installed it. I was looking at it's website, and it's only $10, but hasn't had an update since March, and it's still a "pre-purchase".

I have some AppStore credit, so I was wondering what's good. Even better if there's an iPhone version I can sync with as well. Any recommendations?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Reeder with Feedbin as the backend

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

IUG posted:

So my NetNewsWire demo apparently lapsed, it seems months after I installed it. I was looking at it's website, and it's only $10, but hasn't had an update since March, and it's still a "pre-purchase".

I have some AppStore credit, so I was wondering what's good. Even better if there's an iPhone version I can sync with as well. Any recommendations?

I switched from NetNewsWire to ReadKit. It's pretty similar to NNW, but it syncs with a bunch of different services (I use Feedly).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The Sweet Setup has a rundown and they like Reeder, as do I: http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-rss-reader-os-x/

For the backend, Feedbin is nice. The web interface is very good if you have to turn to that.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

cbirdsong posted:

The Sweet Setup has a rundown and they like Reeder, as do I: http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-rss-reader-os-x/

For the backend, Feedbin is nice. The web interface is very good if you have to turn to that.

I've been on feedly for the backend to Reeder. Any particular reason I should switch?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Cross posting in the Mac Hardware megathread since I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue.

I am running a Macbook Air (MacBookAir6,2) that has a weird issue with the trackpad. I use it closed, at my desk, with a Cinema Display, Apple BT Keyboard and Apple BT Trackpad. When I leave my desk for a meeting, and open it up, the trackpad is very wonky.

The curser barely moves on screen and I have to physically click & hold & drag the trackpad in order to get the curser to move. The only thing I can do to fix it is to restart the computer, and when I restart it ALWAYS says that Skype is unresponsive.

I'm going to install the latest version of Skype to see if that fixes anything, but does anyone know what else I can try? Or what the heck is going on?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I've used OS X since the very first public beta and I've never seen this window before in my life.

God bless you, Mail.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Choadmaster posted:

I've used OS X since the very first public beta and I've never seen this window before in my life.

God bless you, Mail.

mail is stupid. how much HD space do you have free?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Bob Morales posted:

mail is stupid. how much HD space do you have free?
Im pretty sure it's not hard drive space. Our test rMBP at work developed this issue (with Calendar rather than Mail) going from DP5 to DP6 using the delta update from the store and that had 300GB+ of free space on it the whole time.

I dunno if Choadmaster is using an Exchange account at all but that's all we had set up on the rMBP at work (email through Office365 if it makes a difference). The problem went away when I did a fresh install of Yosemite when the GM release was available so at the very least a clean install will probably fix it (although it'd be a pain in the neck).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mercurius posted:

Im pretty sure it's not hard drive space.
I just asked because I have seen a few machines where they get a nasty memory leak and they will eat up virtual memory until they run out of HD space

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
No Exchange. 1.5 TB free on the drive my mail files are stored on and 60 GB free on the SSD boot drive. Edit: well, yes, it clearly filled the boot drive with the virtual memory. The mystery is why...

It's never happened before, and it seems to be running fine now. Unless it happens again I'm not going to worry. If it does I'll give the clean install a shot.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Choadmaster posted:

God bless you, Mail.

How the heck did you use OS X before System 10.2 and not have seen that window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

No Exchange. 1.5 TB free on the drive my mail files are stored on and 60 GB free on the SSD boot drive. Edit: well, yes, it clearly filled the boot drive with the virtual memory. The mystery is why...
Nasty memory leak. You could submit it to Apple but I don't know if you'd be able to give them enough information to make it worth their while.

Saw this a few times with iCloud sync of contacts on new macs out of the box after Mountain Lion or whatever came out.