Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

a pom defines what you want your project to be and maven makes that happen.

it would be nice if there were a lot more documentation that actually explained the "magic" parts, so that you had a better idea of what was going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you are writing scripts for a build you hosed up. you are doing it wrong. it is not 1970 you don't need to do that anymore. there is litterrally no reason to do what you are doing and you are making your code worse for everyone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

it would be nice if there were a lot more documentation that actually explained the "magic" parts, so that you had a better idea of what was going on

all you need to know is what you want to do, not how it works. I don't care how the war packager does what it does cause its irrelevant, I just want the project packaged in a war.

maven plugins are 3rd party libraries. you wouldn't write your own xml parser so why would you write your own war packager?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

all you need to know is what you want to do, not how it works. I don't care how the war packager does what it does cause its irrelevant, I just want the project packaged in a war.

maven plugins are 3rd party libraries. you wouldn't write your own xml parser so why would you write your own war packager?

it's probably because i do very little work in java, but i get confused about just how all the requisite files should be arranged and exactly what comes out the other end and how to modify things to get what i need :shrug:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

how do learn maven! book?!?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the best way to learn maven is to work with someone who knows maven. the second best way is to just use it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

if you are writing scripts for a build you hosed up. you are doing it wrong. it is not 1970 you don't need to do that anymore. there is litterrally no reason to do what you are doing and you are making your code worse for everyone

well don't you need a source control update then a mvn clean install

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

the best way to learn maven is to work with someone who knows maven. the second best way is to just use it.

that first thing sounds like it would kick major rear end, but i was in a situation where i had to figure it all out :saddowns:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats like a two lines right there. then you have to do something with the artifacts! thats another copy command!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

well don't you need a source control update then a mvn clean install

your ide will do that for you.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

i have no idea what maven is doing i've also never built a maven project or artifact or whatever that didnt already have all the crazy xml already there

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

your ide will do that for you.

automatic builds don't have an ide

of course if you use maven you'll only need to drag blocks around in jenkins so i guess thats not a script either

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

gonadic io posted:

i'm being a teaching assistant for first year beginner haskell again this term! another semester of saying "yes that's how you'd do it in c but haskell is different" and 50% of them them saying "it's different? it sucks!"

can't believe y'all have classes in Haskell. is it like a functional programming course or something? the only one you can take here is student taught(and it only happens if there's a student willing to teach it).

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what do build engineers do. is there supposed to be like a 30 step manual process to release a build. i have a feeling my company is rear end backwards in every way but im a terrible programmer so idk

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

i'm being a teaching assistant for first year beginner haskell again this term! another semester of saying "yes that's how you'd do it in c but haskell is different" and 50% of them them saying "it's different? it sucks!"

That's pretty cool but would first years really be like that? I thought that would be the best time to introduce them to a functional language before they have much/any experience with programming in general

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao so Xamarin willingly pushed an update to stable that included this issue and now you can't build anything, good job good effort

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25841

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

That's pretty cool but would first years really be like that? I thought that would be the best time to introduce them to a functional language before they have much/any experience with programming in general

that depends on your first years obv, when I was in school a large percentage of us going into computer science had many years of programming already under our belts (10 for me and many others who had learned Logo in elementary school)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

one semester is the perfect time for them to be convinced of how programming works by rote without them really getting the chance to think about it critically yet. i mean it's not so bad in general but there are always a few who spend far more time complaining about how hard a subject is more than doing any work on it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

a pom defines what you want your project to be and maven makes that happen.

ant is shell scripts in xml that may or may not have anything to do with your projects.

ant is garbage.

these things are all true.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Flat Daddy posted:

what do build engineers do. is there supposed to be like a 30 step manual process to release a build. i have a feeling my company is rear end backwards in every way but im a terrible programmer so idk

you start with a giant manual process and then you automate that

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

prefect posted:

you start with a giant manual process and then you automate that

yep

i guess i'm technically our 'build engineer' and it's just 'push button, receive software'

except in prod, they wouldn't let us set that up even if i wasn't the one pushing the button. i guess that's going to change though, or so i heard through the grapevine

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cold on a Cob posted:

yep

i guess i'm technically our 'build engineer' and it's just 'push button, receive software'

except in prod, they wouldn't let us set that up even if i wasn't the one pushing the button. i guess that's going to change though, or so i heard through the grapevine

keep chanting "continuous delivery" and talk about how etsy deploys code changes automatically if they pass tests -- takes a half-hour, i think

:ohdear:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Subjunctive posted:

these things are all true.

except for the shell script bit, ant is terrible at everything shell is competent at

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Did they push out a Maven build that supports Java 8 yet? Because :lol:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tef posted:

except for the shell script bit, ant is terrible at everything shell is competent at

ok, pretend he said tcsh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Flat Daddy posted:

what do build engineers do

regret their career choices.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the nice thing about the shell/python/whatever build system is that it takes all the magic out of the build and makes it explicit. that's a nice feature of ant, but unfortunately as pointed out ant, in what is probably the stupidest idea I can think of right now, tries to wedge a scripting language into XML of all things

maven is nice, but there are too many hidden things in it for my tastes.

just write your build scripts in whatever actual scripting languages you like best.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Shaggar posted:

all you need to know is what you want to do, not how it works.

Shaggar posted:

that's ruby talk

maven is amazingly reliable and consistent, but the documentation is frequently poo poo and ime will mostly tell you that a tag exists but nothing about how to properly use it or even where it goes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
build scripts are the worst cause now you have to manage the scripts + the environment in addition to your code.

w/ maven the goal is to make your builds repeatable. it doesn't matter if its 3 years later and your build server is completely different because your pom defines specific plugins + libs to build your code.

w/ ant its all about hunting through the ant scripts to make sure the environment is setup in what you think is the same way and that you have the right libs cause when they originally did this script they assumed the libs lived on the build server.

I mean yeah eventually you might be able to get a working build that you think is the same thing, but who knows and you wasted a day working on it.

meanwhile the maven project from 3 years ago was checked out and built w/out issue.

I cant think of any legitimate reason to be using build scripts in 2015

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the stuff that's hidden in maven is the same stuff hidden in cp or mv or scp, etc..

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I'm not about to have an actual software discussion with shaggar so:

Shaggar posted:

also the stuff that's hidden in maven is the same stuff hidden in cp or mv or scp, etc..

lol

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

we use buck for our android stuff b/c the guy who set it up was ex-facebook, i don't have the slightest idea how to work with it beyond "buck build", do you have a good resource re: that

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i finally got pressured to start using cmake b/c of clion, and i don't want to write a regular makefile ever again

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

in fairness, i didn't really want to write them before

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fritz posted:

we use buck for our android stuff b/c the guy who set it up was ex-facebook, i don't have the slightest idea how to work with it beyond "buck build", do you have a good resource re: that

I learned enough from http://facebook.github.io/buck/ to convert a project , when we first released it. (my team built it, but I hadn't used it myself so I tested the docs.)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

I'm not about to have an actual software discussion with shaggar so:

lol

"how is this maven plugin copying the files?!?! I just don't know and i cant deal with it!"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

build scripts are the worst cause now you have to manage the scripts + the environment in addition to your code.

w/ maven the goal is to make your builds repeatable. it doesn't matter if its 3 years later and your build server is completely different because your pom defines specific plugins + libs to build your code.

w/ ant its all about hunting through the ant scripts to make sure the environment is setup in what you think is the same way and that you have the right libs cause when they originally did this script they assumed the libs lived on the build server.

I mean yeah eventually you might be able to get a working build that you think is the same thing, but who knows and you wasted a day working on it.

meanwhile the maven project from 3 years ago was checked out and built w/out issue.

I cant think of any legitimate reason to be using build scripts in 2015

i cant imagine any legitimate reason to spend time trying to compile code from 2012

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i cant imagine any legitimate reason to spend time trying to compile code from 2012

ship stuff people use for more than a year

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

"remember that time when we did that thing which was a demo but then we showed it to a customer and you spent a week cursing and drawing diagrams with those silly faces on all the whiteboards? i know you said that was just in a 'branch', but we can still do that right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

but don't bitch out with "the pom says what version" and hope that the maven hivemind will have the same thing waiting for you, and that there aren't javac or jvm changes. if you're serious about reproducibility, you check in the toolchain and all deps. every version of every compiler that MSFT has ever used to ship something outside the company is in their big repository of all-knowingness. need to build *exactly* XP SP1 with a single value changed? yeah, they can do that, and they can count on the fact that they did it.

• Locked thread