Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heathen posted:

Monet St. Croix has the worst codename. M. "Initial" makes a better codename.

After a while nobody was using their codenames in GenX anyways. How many times did they actually call Chamber "Chamber and not Jono?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

How are we all forgetting that there's a character named Man-thing? That's the best awful name by far.

He also had the best comic book title. Giant Sized Man-Thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
KGBeast has a ridiculous codename. Wait, strike that, reverse it.

I've always thought all the Fantastic Four's names kind of sucked. And it seems like pretty much everybody agree since practically none of them go by said names anymore, besides Johnny Storm occasionally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I've always thought all the Fantastic Four's names kind of sucked. And it seems like pretty much everybody agree since practically none of them go by said names anymore, besides Johnny Storm occasionally.

Uh, since when is The Thing not the Thing?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

TwoPair posted:

Check out Norm MacDonalds "Origin of the Fantastic 4"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMg_GWiBt0

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

Skin might as well not have had a real name with the way that was treated.

At least he never joined the Fantastic Four.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm slowly working my way through early Fantastic Four, and it's kinda hilarious how under utilized Sue Storm is. She's basically useless for most of it, and if I have my time line right, she's married with a child for decades and they're still calling her Invisible Girl.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Okay. In Soviet Russia, a ridiculous codename has KGBeast!

I don't know why you wanted that so badly. Doesn't really seem to work that way around.

Skwirl posted:

I'm slowly working my way through early Fantastic Four, and it's kinda hilarious how under utilized Sue Storm is. She's basically useless for most of it, and if I have my time line right, she's married with a child for decades and they're still calling her Invisible Girl.

It isn't until Byrne that she really starts getting developed. I don't know where you are in the series, but you probably have a long way to go until that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, forever on the Good Things side of Byrne's ledger is that he went "you dumb motherfuckers, Sue Storm is the most powerful member of the Four, see look at what I'm doing right here, do this from now on P.S. stop calling her Invisible Girl, that's demeaning". I mean, he did it by brainwashing her evil and giving her a slutty costume, but still.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

No one calls Luke Cage Power Man anymore.

Mainly because there's another guy running around on the same team called Power Man.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Luke should get his jheri curl back and change his name to Fight The Power Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Okay. In Soviet Russia, a ridiculous codename has KGBeast!

I don't know why you wanted that so badly. Doesn't really seem to work that way around.

It isn't until Byrne that she really starts getting developed. I don't know where you are in the series, but you probably have a long way to go until that.

Kirby's gone, but Lee is still on words. It's gonna be a long haul.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man it is hard to read that old stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Mainly because there's another guy running around on the same team called Power Man.

Luke Cage hasn't gone by Power Man since before Bendis put him on the New Avengers, more than a decade ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Luke Cage hasn't gone by Power Man since before Bendis put him on the New Avengers, more than a decade ago.

He very briefly used the name again during the 1997 Heroes 4 Hire series but has otherwise just been CAGE since like 1990.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pretty sure he in-universe abandoned the alias after he was framed for Iron Fist's murder when their series wrapped up in the late 80s.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul, your new avatar reminds me, did you read the 12 Reasons to Die comic? it was actually really super good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Uh, since when is The Thing not the Thing?

I mean, civilians call him Thing, but it just seems like every time I see him comics these days he just goes by Ben. Guess it's because he's hanging out with more superheroes than average dudes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Kirby's gone, but Lee is still on words. It's gonna be a long haul.

You've got about 120 issues of stuff that tops out at "okay, I guess" before you get to good stuff again, sorry. Say hello to "Gaard" for me. (He's counter-earth Johnny Storm turned into a cosmic hockey goalie and is the most ridiculous thing that sticks with me from that decade of FF.)

Edit: Oh my god, I googled it to make sure I was remembering how to spell that name correctly and it turns out they gave him an XTREME 90's make over in Fantastic Force.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 14, 2015

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Is anyone else reading Warren Ellis' "Trees?" I've really been enjoying it but the latest issue is a total gut-punch, and it's making me wonder if the various story threads are actually going to interconnect, or if they're just a sort of slice-of-life vignettes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Waterhaul, your new avatar reminds me, did you read the 12 Reasons to Die comic? it was actually really super good.

I remember when it came out originally giving it a miss cos I wasn't expecting great things but I've been listening to the album a lot lately so should really give it a shot.

I was kind of burned on Ghostface and comics when Wu-Massacre ending up having Ghost, Method and Chris Bachalo art and I still ended up being disappointed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I remember when it came out originally giving it a miss cos I wasn't expecting great things but I've been listening to the album a lot lately so should really give it a shot.

I was kind of burned on Ghostface and comics when Wu-Massacre ending up having Ghost, Method and Chris Bachalo art and I still ended up being disappointed.

yeah plus past attempts at Wu Tang comics have not been great. i checked out 12 Reasons to Die because it was written by the same dudes who write Menu, which is also really good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

You've got about 120 issues of stuff that tops out at "okay, I guess" before you get to good stuff again, sorry. Say hello to "Gaard" for me. (He's counter-earth Johnny Storm turned into a cosmic hockey goalie and is the most ridiculous thing that sticks with me from that decade of FF.)

Oh, man, Fantastic Four in the 1970s. The decade that brought about one of the worst supervillain teams there's ever been (courtesy of Len Wein) in the form of Salem's Seven.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

NotAnArtist posted:

Is anyone else reading Warren Ellis' "Trees?" I've really been enjoying it but the latest issue is a total gut-punch, and it's making me wonder if the various story threads are actually going to interconnect, or if they're just a sort of slice-of-life vignettes.

I stopped reading 2 issues ago. Too slow, had planned to pick it up in trades a few years down the line. What happened?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Anyone read/reading Wrenchies? I'm about half-done and enjoying it!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

I've honestly never understood Scott's insistence on "CODENAMES IN THE FIELD".

He's a dork.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Was Taters posted:

It is an amazing work, should be read by everyone even vaguely interested in comics, the level of craft and imagination put into it is very inspiring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel's variant qualifying system is so loving irritating.

"Exceed 150% of initial order on a totally unconnected book and you may order ONE copy of this variant cover"

Ugh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anybody read Starwars #1?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It wasn't as good as #4.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Anybody read Starwars #1?

It was not amazing, I feel the uninspired artwork is the weak link. Much more looking forward to the Leia book.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Was Taters posted:

Its good, real good.

I've read Omega - The Unknown, which was also drawn by Farel Dalrymple. Has anybody read that? It was also pretty good, but I'm not too sure what to make of the ending. The final issue is a wordless montage showing without resolution the continued struggle between the kid Omega and the robot guys. There is also the rather melancholic final shot ending with the original Omega homeless and broken on this cargo cult TV set being run by the crazy, also homeless ex-henchmen down in the sewers. The obvious imagery at the end there is of homeless war veterans, I assume the ending is a commentary on the continuous nature that wars and conflicts can take and that one day the kid himself will be an empty spent wreck ? Its been a little while since I read it so my memory may not be super great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It was not amazing, I feel the uninspired artwork is the weak link. Much more looking forward to the Leia book.

That's the one Waid's on, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

That's the one Waid's on, right?

Yes, with Terry Dodson on art.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Was Taters posted:

Bends narrative to the breaking point, but with fun stories and hangout diagrams!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Soonmot posted:

I stopped reading 2 issues ago. Too slow, had planned to pick it up in trades a few years down the line. What happened?

I'll give you that it's slow, but I'm still interested. The Arctic story thread has me keeping on.

Just about everyone involved is in a state of hosed. I won't spoil more if you plan on reading more, but issue eight ends on a pretty big cliffhanger for each of the vignettes.

Edited because strikeout is not spoiler :downs:

Just finished watching The Dark Knight Returns parts one and two. My LCS owner stands by the "9/11 broke Frank Miller" but he was pretty nutso beforehand. It's hard not to read into his opinions on politics when the Reagan figure is so, uh, Reagan-y.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 15, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
9/11 revealed Frank Miller, what we once saw as biting satire is actually his ideal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
All of the elements were there before 9/11 (eg 300) but it tipped him over the edge.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Prior to 9/11 he was mostly a tuffguy libertarian, what with authority figures (politicians, businessmen, gangsters on the intersection of the first two) being villains, from Reagan in DKR to Lex Luthor using digital smoke-and-mirrors to fool the world in DK2. 300 is fash in its mild clash of cultures narrative, but it is an exception from the whole body of work. Now, in Holy Terror it is full-on hard right poo poo with trusty Mossad bros, sexy muslim exchange students blowing up cities and underground lairs of turban villainy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

9/11 also revealed Dr. Doom to be a big crybaby.

• Locked thread