Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Any one have cool wedding ceremony ideas? We're not doing it in a church so their is no mass or anything. We'd like it to be quick, but I'd rather it not be just us saying I do and its over in 5 minutes. The only "rituals" I know of are the sand one, the hand tying one, and the candle one. Releasing doves/butterflies or whatever isn't really our style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We did a fruit joining, since we're silly foodies. Apples from new england, figs from california, eat them together and came up with a justification like "apples represent new england, the earth, fertility (we didn't mention that one), figs represent cali, etc etc". Find something, anything, that connects the two of you, and just create something out of thin air! It was pretty fun, too.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
^^^^^
e;fb I can't believe you beat me while I was thinking/editing. :v:

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Any one have cool wedding ceremony ideas? We're not doing it in a church so their is no mass or anything. We'd like it to be quick, but I'd rather it not be just us saying I do and its over in 5 minutes. The only "rituals" I know of are the sand one, the hand tying one, and the candle one. Releasing doves/butterflies or whatever isn't really our style.

We made up our own ceremony (since we also had a secular wedding) and it was a huge hit with the guests.

Things we did:
- Had our friend who introduced us to each other as our officiant
- Readings from parents on both sides (my parents did a reading in Chinese and his did a prayer in Hebrew)
- Wrote our own vows which we didn't run by each other but turned out both of us went with humor
- Instead of one of the "usual" unity things, we decided to do a foodie-unity-thing. Asked the caterers to provide some slices of figs and apples and "combined" them. It was part of the "meeting of the coasts" theme for us since I am native to California and he is native to New England

It was pretty quick. We nailed a lot of themes/ideas despite that and it was very "us."

So I would say like, think of things you share/resonate with and see if you can work that into a ceremony. If you have no restrictions, I think it's nice to see ceremonies that really reflect the couple and who they are together. Hope that helps!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

My fianc and I are doing a Sand Ceremony. It is basically a joined sand art project done in front of family and friends...

We were trying to research it online and there are a lot more that you COULD do involving everything from melted metal down to a painting, but they all seem kind of weird for us. We just wanted something simple that we could use as a decoration in the home, so sand just made sense...

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I think that we are doing something along the lines of s time capsule, we are going to put stuff in it and open it on our first anniversary.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I like the time capsule idea but I don't like wine and really don't like the note-writing at events anyway. I've been to far to many occasions where they have people write notes and we always feel like its a weird chore so we don't want to do that.

The Sand Ceremony was brought up and I think it's pretty cool. Her favorite color is purple and mine is green, so we could use that for sand. I'd just want to find sand that isn't NEON colored.

I mean I have 3 months to really think about it, I was just trying to see if there was anything that really jumped out at me as cool and different without being cheesy or overdone.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

I like the time capsule idea but I don't like wine and really don't like the note-writing at events anyway. I've been to far to many occasions where they have people write notes and we always feel like its a weird chore so we don't want to do that.

The Sand Ceremony was brought up and I think it's pretty cool. Her favorite color is purple and mine is green, so we could use that for sand. I'd just want to find sand that isn't NEON colored.

I mean I have 3 months to really think about it, I was just trying to see if there was anything that really jumped out at me as cool and different without being cheesy or overdone.

Eh the sand isn't hard to find in reasonable colors. The colors is the discussion my fianc and I can't seem to figure out. Do we do the wedding colors? Do we do our favorite colors? Her favorite color is black...my favorite color is orange, so of course I am against favorite colors because it will always look like a Halloween decoration.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

We did a ring warming ceremony at ours since we wanted audience participation, even if it was a little quiet thing they could do while the officiant was giving her blessings and stories and whatnot. The groomsmen kept an eagle eye on the rings, which were in a bag for easier handling.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

OssiansFolly posted:

Eh the sand isn't hard to find in reasonable colors. The colors is the discussion my fianc and I can't seem to figure out. Do we do the wedding colors? Do we do our favorite colors? Her favorite color is black...my favorite color is orange, so of course I am against favorite colors because it will always look like a Halloween decoration.

you could find naturally-occurring black sand from Hawaiian volcanoes and orange-ish sand from Ramla Bay in Malta that wouldn't look too much like Halloween. Not sure where to purchase that but it definitely exists.

Edit: I really like the idea of a unity cocktail or unity sandwich with each of the ingredients representing something significant, and then you can serve them at your reception.

VVV From Tahiti, then: https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=EXFTAHBLKSND

PopRocks fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 12, 2015

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

PopRocks posted:

you could find naturally-occurring black sand from Hawaiian volcanoes and orange-ish sand from Ramla Bay in Malta that wouldn't look too much like Halloween. Not sure where to purchase that but it definitely exists.

Edit: I really like the idea of a unity cocktail or unity sandwich with each of the ingredients representing something significant, and then you can serve them at your reception.

The black sand from Hawaii is technically illegal to remove from the beach...its a protected state park. I remember when I went as a teenager I wanted to take some and they warned it would be confiscated if they caught me with any. I'd also need like a couple pounds of the sand so I don't really want to deal with that headache.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I'm thinking of doing a honey unity ceremony with local honey from where we live now and from where our families are. It also fits in with Zoroastrian traditions, since my fiance is Persian.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I was contemplating doing a sand ceremony but instead using spices but I can't imagine that will look very good.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I don't think we are going to write the notes there in the spot, we haven't really worked out the details but I think the idea is to have some items ready to go ahead of time and just put them in a night joint box, that's what I got out of the discussion we had anyways.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
I kind of have to gush, but I officially booked our photographer today and I'm so excited but have nowhere to funnel this energy so it's here! I've probably mentioned this a million times, but we're going to city hall on our anniversary with our immediate families so there wasn't really much to do to 'secure' the date, except get a photographer, so this is the one thing that ties us to that date (besides it being our current anniversary, I guess) and it's so exciting to finally have it finalized so there can't be any changes. Now it's just rings and a dress for me and we're set. Just gonna twiddle my thumbs until October, I guess :P

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I was contemplating doing a sand ceremony but instead using spices but I can't imagine that will look very good.

Check this out: http://offbeatbride.com/2011/04/unity-ceremony-options

Fourth one down is a spice ceremony, they used white peppercorn and lava salt rocks. It looks really cool.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The fiance liked the idea of the salt ceremony. When I said "you can tell which salt is which and it becomes just one thing" she thought it was cute, so I think we'll end up doing something like that.

SIDE NOTE: Does anyone else hate saying the word fiance?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

The fiance liked the idea of the salt ceremony. When I said "you can tell which salt is which and it becomes just one thing" she thought it was cute, so I think we'll end up doing something like that.

I used to hate the word fianc until I started using a browser and OS that automatically put the ` above the e for me. Now I don't care because I don't see finance every time I type it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Financé?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Tough it out for a couple months, because then it's husband/wife/hubby/snuffleplums for the rest of your life :haw:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It takes a bit of time to get used to, I think. I'm still too used to saying "partner" automatically, but more and more I find I'm defaulting to "fianc".

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We sometimes just call eachother husband or wife or whatever because we just feel pretentious

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
"Wife-elect".

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I hate fianc as a word. It sounds so foo-foo and the next question is ALWAYS "oh when are you getting married" and the answer to that is "whenever we can be bothered to plan it / afford it i.e. not this year" and I am so bored with that conversation. Whenever it's useful I also refer to him as my husband but I like the gender-neutral queer-identified "partner" because I am a queer woman even though I'm getting married to a dude (someday, when we can be bothered to plan it).

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

It took my fiance ~1 month to stop referring to me as his girlfriend 100% of the time. Now it only slips out every so often rather than every time. I do feel like it's an awkward title, but then again we refer to each other as 'boo' more often than not because names aren't our thing, either.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ilysespieces posted:

It took my fiance ~1 month to stop referring to me as his girlfriend 100% of the time. Now it only slips out every so often rather than every time. I do feel like it's an awkward title, but then again we refer to each other as 'boo' more often than not because names aren't our thing, either.

I feel weird that I've never had a pet name for my fianc. He's had one for me from the beginning (not always the same one), but I dunno, maybe I'm just weird. Nothing comes out naturally and I can't think of one that fits.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I used to use the words Boyfriend and Husband interchangeably depending on my mood. I probably confused a lot of people.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was engaged for seven years and boy howdy was I sick of saying fiancée by the end. And the start. And I live in a place where French is an official language.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
I dunno, fianc sounds a lot better than "boyfriend" to me, since we've been together for years and aren't in middle school, gives the relationship some weight, without being as ambiguously business-like as "partner".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"partner" is something that is really chill and really more radical. Both my wife and I are heavily involved in social justice. She's a social worker, so much more her than me. I call her my "wife" and since the circles I work in are heteronormative as gently caress, that makes sense and helps us advance. My wife, on the other hand, tends to call me her "partner". Since she works with sexual assault survivors and is organized as gently caress, people assume she is dyky as hell. But playing with that amiguity is a good career move for her. I like "partner" I wish I could use it more.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

the terminology is so arbitrary, sexuality is so fluid. and everything just goes to hell at the vernal equinox. no point putting labels on everything

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My husband and I were engaged for about a year and a half. I felt like as soon as my brain finished making the switch from Boyfriend to Fiance, that's when I had to switch again to Husband.

As for ceremony stuff, I hunted all over to find a really pretty wooden chest for our memory box. Our wedding party pitched in for a nice bottle of wine for us and we wrote secret letters to each other the night before the wedding. During the ceremony our officiant handed us the letters we'd written and we placed them and the wine in the box. Now I've put a couple more items in it like our wedding certificate, an unused invitation and a few pictures of the house we just moved into last month. We'll open it each anniversary and read the letters and write new ones. And anytime anything big happens in our life we'll add to it too. I really like the idea and I can't wait to see what it contains many years down the road.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Buggiezor posted:

My husband and I were engaged for about a year and a half. I felt like as soon as my brain finished making the switch from Boyfriend to Fiance, that's when I had to switch again to Husband.

As for ceremony stuff, I hunted all over to find a really pretty wooden chest for our memory box. Our wedding party pitched in for a nice bottle of wine for us and we wrote secret letters to each other the night before the wedding. During the ceremony our officiant handed us the letters we'd written and we placed them and the wine in the box. Now I've put a couple more items in it like our wedding certificate, an unused invitation and a few pictures of the house we just moved into last month. We'll open it each anniversary and read the letters and write new ones. And anytime anything big happens in our life we'll add to it too. I really like the idea and I can't wait to see what it contains many years down the road.

This is a really cute idea. :3:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

I bought my dress, probably way too early. I've mentioned a million times, but we're going to City Hall so I didn't want anything too ~wedding~ but I did want something nice (didn't want white, ended up with ~ivory~ when I changed my mind and decided I really wanted white) to acknowledge the special occasion. I ordered it online on sale and had it shipped to my parents house so I don't have to worry about my fiance seeing it (even though we'll be heading downtown together and getting ready together the day of, I want that to be the first time he sees what I'll be wearing) and so I can try it on and get it altered easier, I just hope it fits as the reviews say it runs small.

Now I'm on a hunt for shoes and a headpiece so a[n awesome] goon can make my custom nail polish for that day. I've also been practicing makeup because I don't want to spend money to have someone make me look like someone I don't look like normally, I have another goon giving me no makeup makeup tips and I'm so excited and I'm rambling now :)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone have a recommendation for wholesale flowers? We are doing our own for budget reasons. We live in the twin cities if that matters at all. All the wholesale places I can find don't sell to the general public.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Have you tried Costco? They have pretty drat good prices.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Has anyone here made their own veil/headpiece? I want something like this but I'm having a real hard time justifying spending that much on something I'm sure I could make myself with some quick tips. https://www.etsy.com/listing/174056521/wedding-veilbandeau-birdcage-veilrussian

I'd probably buy a comb like that, so it's the actual birdcage veil part I'm curious about.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

kri kri posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for wholesale flowers? We are doing our own for budget reasons. We live in the twin cities if that matters at all. All the wholesale places I can find don't sell to the general public.

Porkchop Express posted:

Have you tried Costco? They have pretty drat good prices.

We got the flowers for our table arrangements from costco and some of my mother's friends got together and arranged them for us :3:

I think they turned out pretty well! The vase filler is just a clear hydrobead or aquaball type thing.

AzureSkye fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 20, 2015

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah Costco is pretty great, the only reason we aren't using it is because we got a friend of a friend type deal from a local florist that came out to be cheaper with arranging and delivering the flowers.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I got mine from https://www.fiftyflowers.com

I would not recommend them, I ordered equal amounts of 3 different colors, they hosed up and sent 2/3 of one color and 1/3 of a second color and none of the third color. The stems also have artificial dye in them that will seep out into the water in your vases.

They were cheap though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I got a little catalog from weddingpaperdivas that came with a 20% off coupon code. Anybody need one? I'm getting our invites designed on etsy, printed somewhere else.