Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I had to tell my uncultured swine roomie/bf and the young whippersnaps third roomate who Werner Herzog is and why I was freaking the gently caress out.

Oh man, so good. Still firing off weird neurons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Between hearing Werner Herzog talk about selling his house so he can move to Orlando and be closer to Disney World and hearing Amy Poehler do an extended impression of Megan Mullally I can't remember the last time Parks and Rec made me laugh this much. This was the best possible way to start the final season.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Glad they jumped right in and that the triplets aren't a big thing. I can work with this, bravo good writers and such.

Also, good god, Megan Mullally is a hot dish :heysexy:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

swickles posted:

Am I the only one who hopes we never find out what Morning Star actually is despite numerous references to it?

It'll probably turn out to be something really mundane and trivial, and everyone else has totally forgotten about it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Those were two really good episodes to start out with. I'm really glad about where everyone was in life except Leslie and Ron not having been friends for two years got me right in the heart, but they're using it for great comedy effect.

Even Jamm, who was maybe my least favorite Parks character ever, was great. I'm so glad we got one more Tammy Two episode before the end.

And we even got some Trevor Nelsson, which made me particularly happy since I'm such a huge fan of Marc's. :)

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
My favourite thing about the second episode was Harris Wittels (the animal control dude) being in Joan's rehab group.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Ron being Leslie's last big opponent before the series ends makes a lot of sense to me. Of course those two were gonna clash at some point.

Though at this rate I don't see it lasting all season.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Wow, strong start to the season.

Segway Rave posted:

My favourite thing about the second episode was Harris Wittels (the animal control dude) being in Joan's rehab group.

Hahahaha. Everyone who doesn't know the backstory should listen to this: http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-236-harris-wittels-returns/

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there anywhere to get a print of the wildflower mural?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

AsInHowe posted:

More sabermetric terms!

Sabr terms and GRITT!

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/the-best-fake-law-firm-name-weve-ever-seen-added-some-n-1679388738/+bubbaprog

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I have a folder that says BIRD CENSUS 1984.

It is empty.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
"My son sells them on Etsy. He's a huge disappointment."

I love how nerdy the show is.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

PotatoJudge posted:

This season is all fan service

And I love it

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm honestly not feeling the new season too much yet. The jokes were funny, but the show didn't feel like the show, and some things - like Leslie slapping Jamm over and over - felt really out of character. I've never been a person who really liked sitcoms to have big wrap-up finales though. A few more regular episodes would have been fine with me.

errad
May 31, 2013

PotatoJudge posted:

This season is all fan service

And I love it

If they want to truly serve the fans, there should be a healthy dose of Perd Hapley in every episode.

I was really excited to see that Jamm was in the episode, then really disappointed that he wasn't the Jamm that I grew to know and love.

Edit - I guess I agree with the poster above. No need to mix it up.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I predict that we never see Leslie and Ben's children this season. Or at worst they are just in some shots when celebrating the park or whatever but they aren't involved directly with the story.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timett posted:

I predict that we never see Leslie and Ben's children this season. Or at worst they are just in some shots when celebrating the park or whatever but they aren't involved directly with the story.

Babies are really expensive to cast, so you may be right. I'd rather they spent the money on Jon Hamm instead.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Babies are really expensive to cast, so you may be right. I'd rather they spent the money on Jon Hamm instead.

Then they'll have to make a product placement deal with Subway.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There was another really blatant piece of product placement in one of the episodes, but I can't remember what it is now. It was weird, they didn't show the thing, but they mentioned it really explicitly a couple of times, so I wasn't sure if it was paid-for.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

There was another really blatant piece of product placement in one of the episodes, but I can't remember what it is now. It was weird, they didn't show the thing, but they mentioned it really explicitly a couple of times, so I wasn't sure if it was paid-for.

Grizzle?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sweetums?

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

There was the time they all blatantly used Windows phone, despite it being totally out of character for Tom and Donna.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also, Pawnee is clearly an Alta Vista town, gently caress google.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Timett posted:

Not saying I don't like Ron vs Leslie or this parade of old side characters and sweet cameos but I really hope they manage to squeeze a scene of Leslie convincing a bunch of kids that peas turn into cupcakes after you eat them in there.

Also kinda bummed out that Tom's former love interest they decided to bring back isn't Tatiana Maslany.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

I'm honestly not feeling the new season too much yet. The jokes were funny, but the show didn't feel like the show, and some things - like Leslie slapping Jamm over and over - felt really out of character. I've never been a person who really liked sitcoms to have big wrap-up finales though. A few more regular episodes would have been fine with me.

I think this is why I liked the episodes so much. When the people behind a show know their time is up and they can say "we're going to get weird" they tend to churn out their best stuff. It ends up being pretty polarizing though

Poehlerizing.

Something.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

I'm right there with you. There were definitely some good moments (Johnny Karate TV show, April and Andy still young at heart, etc) but those two episodes were missing something. I don't like that they changed the formula for what works. Also its only two years in the future, this holographic phone tablet and other Back to the Future-esque stuff is dumb and annoying and dumb.

The entire scene with Werner Herzog and Leslie's Tammy impression was loving incredible though.

GaiaShell fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 14, 2015

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was the ep where Ben gave Leslie a stuffed Little Sebastian toy, and NBC put a pop up telling viewers it was for sale at NBC.com.

pincky
Oct 28, 2010
Perfect season start! I only know the phrase Fanservice from Animes, so I don't know exactly what you guys are talking about in the context of a sitcom (very few panty-shots in the 2 episodes). :madmax:

Jammy was amazing, Tom's romantic interest was set up very well. We got to see PaR in Chicago!!!
Leslie vs. Ron is a fantastic springboard for a number of stories.

April & Andy becoming a boring couple and buying a house from Werner loving Herzog?

If Fanservice means fulfilling all the wishes of the viewers while keeping the Show intact... bring on the Fanservice!!!

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I mean I'm fully aware that the show's gone into fan pandering mode, and if this was a regular season I'd rightly be criticizing them for it, but considering it's the last season and the show ends in a little over a month I'm willing to give them a pass and just get a whole bunch of fanservice and happy endings as long as the show finds a way to deliver them in an entertaining way (Like Poehler's Tammy impression, holy poo poo).

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wait why are they airing this over a month?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

keevo posted:

My guess is they're making room for new shows and just want to get the final season out of the way ASAP, but I haven't really seen any official reasoning.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It would make sense if something like the Olympics was coming on and was going to pre-empt it, but that's not what's happening so I have no idea.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think my favorite part of the two episodes may have been the futuristic see-through Iron Man tablets that everyone has because it's the future.

edit: also, the McDonalds sign that just says "HUG THOSE DADS"

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 15, 2015

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I think complaining about Jamm being out of character for (most of) the second episode is missing the entire point of both Tammys and how they turn their lovers into completely different people.

They set up Jamm/Tammy 2 in the last episode of last season (especially the extended version) and it had too much potential not to revisit. And it was all worth it :allears:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love how even Jamm's beard returned complete the day after. Was a really fun storyline for both characters, and didn't feel forced as a way to give them both something to do in the final run.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Timett posted:

If I recall correctly, the driving motivation behind the time-jump was that Amy Poehler had no desire to either work with or write stories about tiny babies because they are boring and overdone, which is absolutely true. So many shows have major characters get pregnant in later seasons and this essentially condemns them to jokes about diapers and sleepless nights for the rest of the show unless you're twenty seasons long like Gunsmoke or really sneaky about speed-aging your kids like Modern Family.

For me, I love the fact that they've expertly dodged any obligation to waste a second of these remaining 13 episodes on cliched ~*First Time Parents!*~ humour. I fully expect callbacks and references to childrearing, obviously, but this show has always been about the characters' jobs and their dedication to and ambitions for them.

It's like a more extreme version of how they dodged a Very Special Baby Episode with Ron and Diane's pregnancy by just having Ron show up one day with a baby.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

drainpipe posted:

Wow, strong start to the season.

Hahahaha. Everyone who doesn't know the backstory should listen to this: http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-236-harris-wittels-returns/

This was amazing to listen to. Definitely worth it.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Harris is truly the Terry of doing drugs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

keevo posted:

Because NBC is bad at decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Because NBC is bad at decisions.

Should be the name of the thread.

• Locked thread