Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I hope the new tank gear in wod is a little less overburdened with accuracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

What I really want to point out, though: isn't that god damned Norio Wakamoto voicing Nidhogg at the end? :stare:

Sign #42 a game is doing goddamn well for itself: they can afford to hire Wakamoto to voice something.
I followed up on this because I am a seiyuu nerd. It's Taketora who's voicing Midgardsormr and Fafnir (yes, Nidhogg should be missing an eye but isn't so it's his twin Fafnir in the video). You might know him as.. GOUKI.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Erg posted:

It's $22.50 on the PS3 if you're willing to go through the upgrade to PS4 process. How long does that offer last by the way? I know they've extended it once already.

I don't want to clean out enough HD space on my PS3 just to buy the game, download the client, register then transfer the account back up to the PS4 I'm already playing the trial on. I hate that it's a $7.50 convenience tax, but them's the breaks.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

ilifinicus posted:

I followed up on this because I am a seiyuu nerd. It's Taketora who's voicing Midgardsormr and Fafnir (yes, Nidhogg should be missing an eye but isn't so it's his twin Fafnir in the video). You might know him as.. GOUKI.

Oh poo poo he's a Sentai VA too, I thought he sounded familiar

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

That isn't even to scrape the surface of Hildebrand's father entering the storyline and having SE force the homonormative privileges of today's tumblr generation upon the FFXIV community.

"Please help ban Hildibrand because Godbert is making me question my sexuality thanks."

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > FINAL FANTASY XIV: the homonormative privileges of today's tumblr generation

I never thought people could be so wrong about video games until all of the OF safari quotes.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I have returned to raid and prepare for my eventual kingship of Triple Triad. I'm relearning the game and haven't really touched my Paladin job, picking Monk up instead. What's the best way to go about getting gear at 50 now? Used to be run Amdapoor Keep, get your Relics, and hit up Binding Coil (My group got to Turn 5 before they fixed it, and that's where I stopped due to travelling and real life crap).

edit: jesus christ that link

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

gearing at 50 is now a lottery in expert dungeons and then you spend soldiery on gear when you don't win the lottery because some other nerd wants seals for his relic

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I've geared most of my off classes with running ST a bunch of times. Most people are running it for Sands/Oils these days, so Greeding on all the equipment drops will fill you up in not a whole lot of time. There are 36 drops in ST, and even just running as a Tank, I've picked up 22 of them, giving me 3-4 pieces of i100 gear for free for each class besides DRG, which I have no pieces for at all somehow.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Huh, when I go to FFGoons.com, all I get is a plain white webpage with the words "Welcome to nginx!" at the top. Is there a way to get invited into DGKK since I can't access the forums to go through that auth process in the OP, or is this a super temporary thing and the forums'll be up soon?

EDIT: vv Heheheh, I love how the CHANGE.ORG petition has a whopping two people.
FFGoons.com should be back up now.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ilifinicus posted:

gearing at 50 is now a lottery in expert dungeons and then you spend soldiery on gear when you don't win the lottery because some other nerd wants seals for his relic

If you're concentrating on one class I'd say you use your Poetics for left side, and Sol for right side, running CT2 for Oils and getting i100 drops to fill in the gaps (you can also grab i90 stuff from running ex dungeons too). Depending on how far back you are on the Relic train, Grab yourself a UAT and Sand from CT2 as well for a fairly quick i110 weapon.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I got to i100 in like 2-3 weeks after hitting 50. It's definitely a fast process, considering I'm a dumb idiot who wasted tons of time on atma fates.

Spiffeh
Dec 24, 2005

:v:
as realm reborn is only £3 on PS3, can I just buy it now on PS3 and upgrade it straight to the PS4 edition rather than pay £30 for the PS4 edition without actually having played it before now?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Spiffeh posted:

as realm reborn is only £3 on PS3, can I just buy it now on PS3 and upgrade it straight to the PS4 edition rather than pay £30 for the PS4 edition without actually having played it before now?
Yes, you can. The offer was extended till March 31st 2015.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

This is the worst thing I have read this side of Belzac's posts. gently caress you, official forums.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

"Please help ban Hildibrand because Godbert is making me question my sexuality thanks."

You don't grasp sarcasm very well do you.

That post you are referring to is the best drat post on the OF.

Spiffeh
Dec 24, 2005

:v:

ilifinicus posted:

Yes, you can. The offer was extended till March 31st 2015.

wow thats awesome and a bit ridiculous, cheers

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Sorry all, apparently the ffgoons server reset itself like right after I went to bed. For some reason whenever that happens nginx boots before apache which keeps it from binding to port 80 and keeps the forums from coming up. Every time this happens I try some thing to keep that from happening only to find months later it didn't work :v:

It's on an old server cluster and the hosting provider wants to move it and it could probably stand to be upgraded to the latest LTS, so with this I'll probably do some heavy maintenance during what will assuredly be a long maintenance window for Heavensward launch to upgrade the version, move it to the new cluster, and drive a steak through the nginx once and for all.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If I haven't played in ~a year A) would my character still exist and B) would it be worth continuing that character or is there enough new stuff I should just start another?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Spiffeh posted:

wow thats awesome and a bit ridiculous, cheers
You do have to pay the cost of installing it on PS3 once and logging in there to go hit the thing to get the PS4 code though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saint Freak posted:

If I haven't played in ~a year A) would my character still exist and B) would it be worth continuing that character or is there enough new stuff I should just start another?

Yes and you might as well stick with them, no point in doing that stuff again. Generally speaking the new content is back-loaded anyway.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Boten Anna posted:

and drive a steak through the nginx once and for all.

Or you could just configure nginx to bind to some other port and just give up. :v:

(You can't just uninstall it?)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Boten Anna posted:

Sorry all, apparently the ffgoons server reset itself like right after I went to bed. For some reason whenever that happens nginx boots before apache which keeps it from binding to port 80 and keeps the forums from coming up. Every time this happens I try some thing to keep that from happening only to find months later it didn't work :v:

It's on an old server cluster and the hosting provider wants to move it and it could probably stand to be upgraded to the latest LTS, so with this I'll probably do some heavy maintenance during what will assuredly be a long maintenance window for Heavensward launch to upgrade the version, move it to the new cluster, and drive a steak through the nginx once and for all.

Thanks Anna

It seems its time for another "here's how you catch up after not playing for a year" post. I'll make one after work if no one has beaten me to it.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Klungar posted:

I've geared most of my off classes with running ST a bunch of times. Most people are running it for Sands/Oils these days, so Greeding on all the equipment drops will fill you up in not a whole lot of time. There are 36 drops in ST, and even just running as a Tank, I've picked up 22 of them, giving me 3-4 pieces of i100 gear for free for each class besides DRG, which I have no pieces for at all somehow.

I'm in the same situation (left when no one had beaten T5). So im just sporting full valor and a zenith.

Just curious what ST stands for. Sunken Temple hard?
I just unlocked the hard Roulette since I had missed so much. At ilvl 86 can I just focus on Expert instead?

Also gently caress atmas. I can't imagine how lovely it was before they raised the drop rates. I spent a few hours at it last night and have none. :(

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 14, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Syrcus Tower. It's a 24 man raid.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I'm in the same situation (left when no one had beaten T5). So im just sporting full valor.

Just curious what ST stands for. Sunken Temple hard?
I just unlocked the hard Roulette since I had missed so much. At ilvl 86 can I just focus on Expert instead?

Syrcus Tower, Crystal Tower 2, basically a 24 man raid zone.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
"ST" won out over "CT2" in most circles, and Sunken Temple is now "Qarn" or "Qarn HM".

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Syrcus Tower. It's a 24 man raid.

Awesome, thanks!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

orange juche posted:

You don't grasp sarcasm very well do you.

That post you are referring to is the best drat post on the OF.

I realised afterwards when I saw their follow up posts, but coming from the OF it was pretty believable.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

At ilvl 86 can I just focus on Expert instead?

Yes. It also drops i90 gear. I would do Expert for poetics, and ST for i100 upgrades to slot between the poetics gear.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Also gently caress atmas. I can't imagine how lovely it was before they raised the drop rates. I spent a few hours at it last night and have none. :(

Atmas weren't bad for me, except the first and the last one. North shroud took me 8 hours, I was this close to just tossing the relic idea "increased drop rates my rear end", then it dropped. Then the next 10 dropped in <2h. Then the last also took 6 or 7 hours again.

RNG is a retarded "mechanic".

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 14, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

Or you could just configure nginx to bind to some other port and just give up. :v:

(You can't just uninstall it?)

I did uninstall it but it just won't die. Apt insists that it doesn't exist, but its still there. This time I ran the command that's supposed to keep it from running at bootup (that I swear I did last time) and as the output of that doesn't fill me with confidence, I also renamed the config file. Here's to hoping next time the server shits itself.

If this doesn't kill it I'll keep doing poo poo and rebooting until it works properly during the aforementioned planned Heavensward launch downtime maintenance.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Robo Reagan posted:

A lot of the English VAs sound dumb. Like, they either overact or put on a goofy voice to the point where Alphinaud is the only one that sounds okay but gently caress Alphinaud

Gaius's English voice work is great and I'll cut anybody who says otherwise. Though in fairness Richard Epcar has more VA experience than most of the rest of the cast combined.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Truga posted:

Atmas weren't bad for me, except the first and the last one. North shroud took me 8 hours, I was this close to just tossing the relic idea "increased drop rates my rear end", then it dropped. Then the next 10 dropped in <2h. Then the last also took 6 or 7 hours again.

RNG is a retarded "mechanic".

As annoying as Animus and Nexus stages were I liked both more than Atma simply because you had control over your progress. Atma's RNG means you ultimately didn't control your own pace for getting the stuff and that is dumb as hell. It's the most blatant padding. I don't doubt that the dungeon atma requirement for the i125 zodiacs is in part due to people tearing rear end through Nexus in a couple days when it was added. It's technically possible to do that with the newest stage but only if the RNG is kind to you. If you spend a dozen or so runs per dungeon atma then not so much.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Evil Fluffy posted:

As annoying as Animus and Nexus stages were I liked both more than Atma simply because you had control over your progress. Atma's RNG means you ultimately didn't control your own pace for getting the stuff and that is dumb as hell.

It's very dumb, but I would have rather done Original Atma over again than light farming. Oh my god light farming is so bad.

For me, what it boils down to is the bell curve. Will some people get hosed over really hard? Absolutely, and that's terrible design. But the majority of players will fall in those first two stdevs on the bell curve, and the peak of the Original Atma curve was way fewer hours than the average light farming campaign.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

RNG is still really dumb, I'm 0/10 on AV and that's 10 AV too many.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Evil Fluffy posted:

As annoying as Animus and Nexus stages were I liked both more than Atma simply because you had control over your progress. Atma's RNG means you ultimately didn't control your own pace for getting the stuff and that is dumb as hell. It's the most blatant padding. I don't doubt that the dungeon atma requirement for the i125 zodiacs is in part due to people tearing rear end through Nexus in a couple days when it was added. It's technically possible to do that with the newest stage but only if the RNG is kind to you. If you spend a dozen or so runs per dungeon atma then not so much.

Gonna toss in Novus as a really dumb step as well. I get that it shouldn't be short. But infusing an item that says "Crit +2" and only getting +1 out of it is really really dumb. I'd argue that the map portion is completely arbitrary too, but that's just because I've lost 3 of them.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Nexus is by far the worst step right now until they increase drop rates by at least triple.

Not only is the light rate poo poo as is. It's also RNG dependant on bonuses to make farming worthwhile. Even while trying to farm it, it took me about a good week and a half of solid play, and it came close to about a month total as some of it I was still in school before winter break. Atma? I did it before drop rates got fixed and in a single weekend. I realize the RNG was probably nicer to me than some people. However at this point pretty much everyone I see in my guild that attempts it gets Atma done within days.

Last Zodiac step? Took me about a week. The drop rate on them is totally fine and getting the required Soldiery was actually the longest step.

gently caress Nexus forever. Hope you like primals.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Nexus is by far and wide the worst step and there's F2P MMOs with better hellgrinds than it

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
So do we think that the 2.51 Zodiac step will bump them to i130 or i135? Would the raid community be too :qq: about i135?

I doubt our group will have T13 done by 2.51 (though I'd like to be close), but I'd be fine with i135 relics, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I maintain that Novus is the worst step, it's grinding on the level of all the other ones as well as a horrifically expensive materia sink, with there still being no real good way to spiritbond and farm your own materia IVs or really be able to afford them in casual play. You can casual past this with sub-optimal melding, but that sucks and I'm working on fixing having done that but I need something like 20-30m gil worth of crit and det iv materias to finish it and it's :smithicide:

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 14, 2015

• Locked thread