Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Friday's Graham Norton show was excellent. Meryl Streep is amazing and seemed to be having a blast.

James McAvoy and Mark Ruffalo also rode unicycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Bogmonster posted:

For what its worth, I thought the second and third series of that were much better, primarily because they god rid of the awful hollyoaks actress from the first series. I may just have terrible taste though.

Yeah I got into it for the..third series maybe? Possibly the second actually. Anyway it was really good and I enjoyed it a lot.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Anyone see the awful talent show the week before The Voice resumed? It was called something like 'I Did It Their Way' (except in a way that makes more sense) and featured hopefuls performing Frank Sinatra songs for the chance to go on some bad tour of other Frank Sinatra acts. It is to The Voice what Britain's Got Talent's singers are to X Factor. Only one real performance in them, and continued exposure would just yield diminishing returns. The part that got my goat the most was the piety of the contestants. The show had chosen to ignore all the MGM era Sinatra that he enjoyed most success with, and focus on the only Frank we ever hear about - the boozy, womanising Las Vegas mob associate. Yet, all contestants' VTs were somehow obliged to inform us how they are so HARD AT WORK and DEDICATED they don't have time to have a social life or enjoy any of the pursuits so associated with the fetishised depiction of Frank Sinatra. What followed were some bland acts and some smarmy acts and it was all too much for me to watch it till the end.

This obsession with how much effort everyone makes, and how none of it is spontaneous is the opposite of how you make stars. X Factor 2014 second placer Fleur East today, having signed a record deal, was quoted as saying 'Now the hard work really starts!'. Who cares? Come into our world like an alien from another planet, not like you had work yourself to the bone just to catch the bus to Fame Island.

It's why no one wears tshirts with Alan Turing's face on.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I saw that while I was at my parent's house. They were bad. They were meant to be doing it in their own style, but about two thirds of them just sounded like they were on Stars in Their Eyes and trying to do an impression.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twoot posted:

Friday's Graham Norton show was excellent. Meryl Streep is amazing and seemed to be having a blast.

James McAvoy and Mark Ruffalo also rode unicycles.

To be fair, who wouldn't swoon for the Streep?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I've watched:

Luther
The Fall
The Game
Sherlock
Shadow Line
Hunted
The Hour
Red Riding

Any other great British drama series that have come along in the past 5 years worth checking out?

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 13, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you liked The Shadow Line, Hugo Blick the writer/director/producer did another recently, An Honourable Women, which is about Israel/Palastine. It's very much the same, maybe a bit better.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

PaybackJack posted:

I've watched:

Luther
The Fall
The Game
Sherlock
Shadow Line
Hunted
The Hour

Any other great British drama series that have come along in the past 5 years worth checking out?

I'd add Southcliffe to that list, but be aware that its pretty harrowing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mr. Squishy posted:

If you liked The Shadow Line, Hugo Blick the writer/director/producer did another recently, An Honourable Women, which is about Israel/Palastine. It's very much the same, maybe a bit better.

Wait, people didn't like The Shadow Line? That was awesome.

Bogmonster posted:

I'd add Southcliffe to that list, but be aware that its pretty harrowing.

Sounds good.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I don't know if I'm more offended by Ken Morley's language or his son's grammar.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I've watched:

Luther
The Fall
The Game
Sherlock
Shadow Line
Hunted
The Hour

Broadchurch! Series 2 just started!

(Speaking of, is there a thread for it? I couldn't find one. :( )

Also, not from within the past 5 years, but State of Play was very good and had a great cast!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 13, 2015

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I really enjoyed What Remains, a miniseries on BBC One with an amazing cast about a murder in a big house in which lots of different people live. Really creepy and awesome, if a touch melodramatic. (But that's what we all love, right?)

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

thexerox123 posted:

Also, not from within the past 5 years, but State of Play was very good and had a great cast!

Red Riding, a mini-series of 3 films was also pretty good (and seems more relevant now than it did then.) Might get you down a bit though..

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Black Mirror is not a traditional drama but well worth watching if you haven't seen it. Also Utopia, unless you don't like blood.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jonnty posted:

Red Riding, a mini-series of 3 films was also pretty good (and seems more relevant now than it did then.) Might get you down a bit though..
If he can make it through Southcliffe, he can definitely make it through Red Riding.

Both are dope though.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you're into crime, Messiah's a bit older but well worth it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
People also dug The Missing, but as it's about an abducted child, I wrote it off as too depressing to consider watching.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are people genuinely enjoying Still Open All Hours, or is it just a case of nostalgia mixed with happiness that David Jason is still working? The whole thing feels like Roy Clarke was frozen at the end of the original run and thawed out to write this. It just feels awfully dated, but I guess that's its charm? It was a struggle to watch the first episode, all the jokes were tired and the inclusion of the 'yoof character' felt unbelievably forced and out of place.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Still Open All Hours is David Jason's way of getting revenge for Ronnie Barker saying he would never be a leading man.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Are people genuinely enjoying Still Open All Hours, or is it just a case of nostalgia mixed with happiness that David Jason is still working? The whole thing feels like Roy Clarke was frozen at the end of the original run and thawed out to write this. It just feels awfully dated, but I guess that's its charm? It was a struggle to watch the first episode, all the jokes were tired and the inclusion of the 'yoof character' felt unbelievably forced and out of place.

The latest private eye says this very thing. Apparently the original writers wrote the comeback, which might indicate why it feels dated.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

They should have got harry hill to write it

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I've watched:

Luther
The Fall
The Game
Sherlock
Shadow Line
Hunted
The Hour

Black Mirror
Utopia

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gorn Myson posted:

If he can make it through Southcliffe, he can definitely make it through Red Riding.

Both are dope though.

I have seen Red Riding. I actually didn't like it very much. Not the content, I just didn't find it as compelling as the other shows on my list.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Second series of broadchurch continues to disappoint

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Inside Men was pretty good, although I missed the last episode. About a mint robbery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGCVlFB-CA

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Got a 4-DVD set of The Tripods, the BBC '84-5 sci-fi series. It isn't worth a thread on its own but I'll do an effort post in this thread if enough of you request one. :effort:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

PaybackJack posted:

Peaky Blinders

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Got a 4-DVD set of The Tripods, the BBC '84-5 sci-fi series. It isn't worth a thread on its own but I'll do an effort post in this thread if enough of you request one. :effort:

I bloody loved those books as a kid, go for it

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I've watched:

Luther
The Fall
The Game
Sherlock
Shadow Line
Hunted
The Hour
Red Riding

Happy Valley and Line of Duty. BBC1 crime dramas from last year, if Sarah Lancashire and Keeley Hawes don't at least get nominated for a couple of BAFTAs I'll be appalled. Both turned in astonishing performances in both shows.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

there were two things that scared the ever-living crap out of me as a kid. One was one of the big metal tentacles from one of the Tripods putting those metal squares on my head. The second was Thundercracker from Transformers popping up behind the trees in my back garden and blasting me to death

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Irisi posted:

Happy Valley and Line of Duty. BBC1 crime dramas from last year, if Sarah Lancashire and Keeley Hawes don't at least get nominated for a couple of BAFTAs I'll be appalled. Both turned in astonishing performances in both shows.

Definitely echo this. Both absolute crackers. Southcliffe and Honourable Woman are both fantastic too .

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

justcola posted:

About a mint robbery.

Sound tres boring.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

justcola posted:

Inside Men was pretty good, although I missed the last episode. About a mint robbery.

Sounds interesting, you have to do this sort of thing at night, usually. Did they do it after eight?

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I Liked the This Is England tv show. Although I'm not sure how much someone not from the UK would appreciate it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Looks like a British Drunk History started this week. Any good?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
There was a clip on the comedy central website with a story being told by Russell Kane.
It was awful.

Rather than a drunk person telling a story about a person or event that they were passionate and eager to talk about, and it being funny because they were drunk and "embellishing" it, it was a story about someone he didn't seem to give a toss about which was peppered with lol funny abusive wacky one-liners and it was totally outrageous because he was wasted lol.

It may have just been him missing the point though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

DaWolfey posted:

There was a clip on the comedy central website with a story being told by Russell Kane.
It was awful.

Rather than a drunk person telling a story about a person or event that they were passionate and eager to talk about, and it being funny because they were drunk and "embellishing" it, it was a story about someone he didn't seem to give a toss about which was peppered with lol funny abusive wacky one-liners and it was totally outrageous because he was wasted lol.

It may have just been him missing the point though.

If this is going to be the case, not going to give a poo poo.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

DaWolfey posted:

Russell Kane.
It was awful.

That's all you needed to say. Guy is a total twat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It'd be a drat sight better if they actually got comedians with an interest in history.

I'd love to see Al Murray do it. Or David Mitchell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Looks like a British Drunk History started this week. Any good?

Rob Beckett was funny, but the story he was telling was so messed up to begin with it wasn't hard.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It'd be a drat sight better if they actually got comedians with an interest in history.

I'd love to see Al Murray do it. Or David Mitchell.

I think a blind- drunk David Mitchell trying to talk about history would be the greatest thing ever put to screen.