Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I just got this, but am I missing something or are you not able to take things like sinks off of grid snap? My first house I bought and I can't line up my counters while having my sink under the window. Overall though really enjoying this over 3, some pretty big improvements.

My first house I just had one guy and gave him nerd stat, and all he does all day is sit on the computer talking on forums. So there I was sitting on my computer watching some guy sit on his. I invited a girl over that I met at the park, she comes in and my character goes straight to the computer and plays some games while she stood around. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Any idea when the Outdoor Retreat pack is releasing? I know it's this week, but I'm wondering if the actual day is known.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Harminoff posted:

My first house I just had one guy and gave him nerd stat, and all he does all day is sit on the computer talking on forums. So there I was sitting on my computer watching some guy sit on his. I invited a girl over that I met at the park, she comes in and my character goes straight to the computer and plays some games while she stood around. Amazing.

Although your Sim met a girl at the park and you didn't, so he's still ahead of the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Did you know "insane" is now an ableist slur? Me neither, but if you want it changed, there is a helpful mod to do just that! It also apparently fixes other horrible ableism like "gloomy" and "stupid".

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 13, 2015

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Doc Morbid posted:

Did you know "insane" is now an ableist slur? Me neither, but if you want it changed, there is a helpful mod to do just that! It also apparently fixes other horrible ableism like "gloomy" and "stupid".

Ah yes, I do like changing the Sadness Hotline to Suicide Hotline! Nothing I like more in my lighthearted games than reminders of suicide and depression.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Doc Morbid posted:

Is that the mod that changes "bro" with "wanker"?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm the "ace/aro" trait

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Actually no I'm the titty slider with the boundaries modded in that pic

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of depression, this game is definitely feeling too realistic at times. My sim spends most of his days shitposting on SA forums, then I decide he should go to the bar so he does and spends 100 bucks getting plastered while dancing (badly) with a bunch of random women. Of course, he is too much of an awkward goon to actually get to know any of those girls (and gets tense in crowds, naturally), let alone try to hit on them, so eventually he goes back to his lovely house and gets to bed at 4 AM. He wakes up for work a few hours later, feeling like complete poo poo, and has a couple of glasses of orange juice for breakfast.

At least he gets paid decent-ish cash to write his blog, so he is still doing better than me :gonk:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Initially I thought it was a dumb mod but if someone feels offended or uncomfortable with those words for whatever reason, it's pretty good that there's a mod that makes the Sims 4 more enjoyable for them. It seems like there are plenty of people who appreciate it in the comments.

I still don't get what weird censorship of "ins*ne" accomplishes though.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpx72bF4GFY

The video has gone out. The patch is live. The gameplay pack isn't out... yet at the time of this post. But will be today I guess, since they launched the trailer today

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Eruonen posted:

Initially I thought it was a dumb mod but if someone feels offended or uncomfortable with those words for whatever reason, it's pretty good that there's a mod that makes the Sims 4 more enjoyable for them. It seems like there are plenty of people who appreciate it in the comments.

I still don't get what weird censorship of "ins*ne" accomplishes though.

Makes it so you can pretend it's the N*Sync trait.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The DLC is out now, $20 in the US.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Welp. Spoke too soon.

https://www.origin.com/en-ca/store/...PjcL_D8sCCamUJA

I have purchased it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpx72bF4GFY

The video has gone out. The patch is live. The gameplay pack isn't out... yet at the time of this post. But will be today I guess, since they launched the trailer today

Yeah, the end of the trailer said "get this game pack now!" so I assume it'll be up as soon as the Origin servers roll over to the new day.

e: well, look at that. I'm real excited to see y'all's impressions of it!

Man, that new world looks gorgeous. Over four months later and I still can't get over how nice and vibrant this game's art direction is. The new outdoors aspiration and the whole general theme is going to be really good for one of my Sims who I intended to be an outdoorsy type but didn't really have much of an opportunity to do that aside from sending him fishing a lot.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just posted on Twitter:

@TheSims posted:

The Sims 4 is coming to Mac next month. Spread the news!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

First impressions!

The new items and clothing are really nice items. The clothes fit the outdoors very, very well. The items also will make it a lot easier to make a good old fashioned cabin look. There's a couple of items that are locked until you finish the achievement for getting a gold in a new event type, which is weenie roast.

The new hood can only be travelled to by taking a vacation. You can't just travel there on a whim. Of course, you can probably edit the lots without travelling there, since if you are there, you can't just enter buy mode to get the items you need to take a vacation. For example, the campground which I sent my sims to first costs $111 a night, but upon arriving there, the only thing standing there was a campfire, a bbq, a horseshoes pit, and a picnic table. No tent for you! But you can go to the ranger hut nearby and purchase the items you need to enjoy camping. Dragging and dropping them from your inventory in order to use them.

Now the downside. There's only one new world, and that is Granite Falls. You can't build a new house there. It's just to travel to in a vacation. They said two new neighbourhoods, but of course they consider the venues, the park, the house locations as neighbourhoods in the single worlds. The national park also was quite laggy. At least it looks nice. But it just seems so small being a national park.

Is it worth $20?

I guess. It's not going to revolutionize gameplay, and it's NOT an expansion. It's like a combination of a stuff pack and a neighbourhood with a couple of premium items to add a little bit of gameplay. It adds more stuff than the digital deluxe items, and gameplay, and is a little bit more than the upgrade.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The new update is failing to download for me, is anyone else having this problems? At 300 megs, it seems quite large for a patch.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Ha, they didn't fix the bartender bug in the patch.

The bartender bug is when the bartender doesn't work at all. Sims stand infront of the bar raising their hands to order a drink. But nothing happens. The bartender stands there doing absolutely nothing. It only works if you personally have your Sim bartend, then they work properly. But the community lot ones? Enjoy seeing your simoleons drain because the bartender will take your money doing nothing.

EA has noted the bug exists, but doesn't seem like they care to fix it. Or their QA is like "well, the bartender serves 1 drink. I don't see the problem" then goes to a different thing.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Do mods still break every patch like in TS3?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Eruonen posted:

Do mods still break every patch like in TS3?

It's not like there's Core mods that WILL break every patch. There's mods that if the xml changes, the mod will no longer work.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
$50 on the NZ Origin store?! What the hell.

(That's about US$38, for reference.)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chocolate Milk posted:

It's really expensive to send all those 1s and 0s all the way across the Pacific. Or at least the sellers pretend it is because they can get away with it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Gotta be friends with bears.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Don't date bears man, come on.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Chamale posted:

It's really expensive to send all those 1s and 0s all the way across the Pacific. Or at least the sellers pretend it is because they can get away with it.

That's pretty much it. We pay more for physical copies of games, therefore we are willing to pay more for electronic copies.

Not only are we paying more than Americans, but we're paying more than Aussies, who pay AU$40 (about US$32) for the pack. :psyduck:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Chamale posted:

Although your Sim met a girl at the park and you didn't, so he's still ahead of the game.

Ouch.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

Sims on Mac

FINALLY.

is it next month yet? :f5:

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Chocolate Milk posted:

Is there a way for non-US people to buy this on the US Origin store?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't date bears man, come on.

Don't kinkshame his love of bara.

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

I broke down and bought S4 during the half price sale over Xmas, and everything has been fine up until this week. I logged on after about a week's absence and now my ctrl key doesn’t work to remove paint. It works fine for everything else, just not paint. I'm at a loss, and google is failing me. Anyone else had this issue and/or know how to fix it?

Note: This was without mods.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Tell Origin to verify the install/files/whatever and that should fix it.

If not, remove everything back up saves and reinstall.

That's really your best bet sadly. :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chocolate Milk posted:

That's pretty much it. We pay more for physical copies of games, therefore we are willing to pay more for electronic copies.

Not only are we paying more than Americans, but we're paying more than Aussies, who pay AU$40 (about US$32) for the pack. :psyduck:
Yeah, it's AU$40 in Australia. For comparison's sake, I paid $60 for the Digital Deluxe base game during the Origin sale!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EA has "fixed" the expansion pack prices in Australia and New Zealand. Outdoor Retreat is now AU$30 and NZ$40. If you paid the higher price, the difference will be refunded.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

The Kins posted:

EA has "fixed" the expansion pack prices in Australia and New Zealand. Outdoor Retreat is now AU$30 and NZ$40. If you paid the higher price, the difference will be refunded.

Now we're only being overcharged by US$5 and US$10 respectively. :toot:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm not exactly an outdoors person myself, but decided to pick up this pack anyway. I didn't give my sim the "Hates the Outdoors" trait, so maybe he will actually enjoy himself!

Littered campgrounds, folding chairs, feed Doritos to the bears...

IAmTheRad posted:

Ha, they didn't fix the bartender bug in the patch.

The bartender bug is when the bartender doesn't work at all. Sims stand infront of the bar raising their hands to order a drink. But nothing happens. The bartender stands there doing absolutely nothing. It only works if you personally have your Sim bartend, then they work properly. But the community lot ones? Enjoy seeing your simoleons drain because the bartender will take your money doing nothing.

EA has noted the bug exists, but doesn't seem like they care to fix it. Or their QA is like "well, the bartender serves 1 drink. I don't see the problem" then goes to a different thing.

So that's what was going on there. I was wondering why no one at the bar actually seemed to be getting any drinks.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 14, 2015

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I haven't gone to the new world yet because I need more money (I have enough for two days in the cheapest place), but the new clothes are fantastic.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well, Lazy Game Reviews has posted his opinion/review of the addon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zhfM1H3Eg

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

Chocolate Milk posted:

My husband purchased The Sims 4 using the much cheaper alternative, "Mexican Proxy" method. Maybe it'll work for you Aussies as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQ5BDwpxjk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

IAmTheRad posted:

Well, Lazy Game Reviews has posted his opinion/review of the addon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zhfM1H3Eg
Ha, he remade his Duke Nukem sim for the Sims 4.