Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Just replace with the original ones from a crashed car. Depending on the year you can reaim them easily yourself, there's a bolt on the back of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think I need new headlights. Is that something I can replace myself without needing to re-aim them? And what brand should I go for? I haven't replaced these things in the 5 years I've owned the car, and I didn't notice any mention of them being replaced in the notes the PO left in the manual last time I was looking through it.

Do you need whole new headlights or just bulbs?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think just bulbs. They have just gotten dangerously dim, I didn't realize how bad they were until I had to go up into the mountains a couple nights ago.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think just bulbs. They have just gotten dangerously dim, I didn't realize how bad they were until I had to go up into the mountains a couple nights ago.

Perhaps your plastic headlight lenses have hazed over?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Having not really driven in the snow much before, I was shocked at how dirty my headlights had become. I could barely see anything, even with the HIDs. Gotta get used to cleaning those before I drive now.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It sounds like they are glazed over, my Legacy needs them buffed about once a year. You can get a kit from any auto parts store that has sandpaper and a compound in it...you wet sand the glaze away and then use the compound to buff it out. It makes a huge difference.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 10, 2015

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
If I can't get subaru coolant what is the next best coolant to get?

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 10, 2015

si
Apr 26, 2004
Subaru coolant.

You can get it off Amazon.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wojcigitty posted:

It sounds like they are glazed over, my Legacy needs them buffed about once a year. You can get a kit from any auto parts store that has sandpaper and a compound in it...you wet sand the glaze away and then use the compound to buff it out. It makes a huge difference.

I did that maybe 8 months ago. I can give it a try again, but honestly I've never noticed a big difference with that stuff.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Got my first subaru wave in socal for 3 years!

Speaking of making my day, I walked into a high end dealership in socal to gawk at a carrera gt and the salesman kept talking to me about how awesome my wagon was.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The first time you deglaze your headlights it usually takes off the factory UV coating, speeding up the re-clouding process. Basically once you start, you have to keep at it, and more frequently over time. After a while it becomes easier to replace the housings than redo it every month, but there is a ways to go.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
My '06 wagon goes through headlight bulbs like nobody's business. I have no idea why. I got pulled over by the cops on the way to work two nights ago because one was out, and replaced it when I got to work. It was twelve degrees outside. It took a bit of time before my fingers felt normal again.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My '06 wagon goes through headlight bulbs like nobody's business. I have no idea why. I got pulled over by the cops on the way to work two nights ago because one was out, and replaced it when I got to work. It was twelve degrees outside. It took a bit of time before my fingers felt normal again.

Check your alternator output. Frequent headlight replacement is one of the first signs of excessive voltage from the charging system. Most radios and ECUs have their own internal regulation so the next most sensitive component to overvoltage is the headlight bulbs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I switched from those stupid higher output bulbs to cheap ones and they last way longer.
I need new headlights though, but 05 LGT headlights were a one year thing so I can't really get clean junkyard ones. One of mine had the clearnplastic melt inside so I can't clear them.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

si posted:

Subaru coolant.

You can get it off Amazon.

What is so special about Subaru Coolant? Built in Stop leak for headgaskets?

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

G-Mach posted:

If I can't get subaru coolant what is the next best coolant to get?

Pre-mixed Prestone (blue cap).

daslog posted:

What is so special about Subaru Coolant? Built in Stop leak for headgaskets?

Naw, just aluminum safe. The OEM "radweld" comes in a separate bottle (from the dealership).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

The first time you deglaze your headlights it usually takes off the factory UV coating, speeding up the re-clouding process. Basically once you start, you have to keep at it, and more frequently over time. After a while it becomes easier to replace the housings than redo it every month, but there is a ways to go.

I think there are UV sealants you can apply after sanding/buffing.

I wax my headlights, hopefully it will make them last.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Having not really driven in the snow much before, I was shocked at how dirty my headlights had become. I could barely see anything, even with the HIDs. Gotta get used to cleaning those before I drive now.

HIDs in particular seem to be affected by dirty lenses more than other kinds of lights; I don't know why.

I have noticed that in a lot of cars sold in the EU that HID headlights mandate the installation of headlight washers (for instance, the 06 STI has headlight washers in the UK, but not in NA), so maybe there is a technical reason for it and it's not just my imagination.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Think one of my front wheel bearings is toast. Timken (HA590315) is generally preferred for replacements, right? Amazon is slightly ahead of RA on cost, by about 3 bucks, so I'm indifferent.

Anything else to be aware of/be ready for? Straight forward replacement since it's a hub assembly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Subaru folk, enlighten me - anything else to make sure gets done on a 2008 (or 09, I can never remember) WRX for a timing belt service? Off the top of my head I've got all pulleys / tensioners / whatever, water pump, and cam/crank seals. Finally put my brother-in-law's car on ramps to discover that the steering rack is pissing fluid out of the steering input shaft seal, and after crawling around under there I think I'd rather chop off a toe than do the rack. It's also coming up on (or maybe already past?) 100k miles and doesn't have any records of a prior timing belt job.

He's supposed to be calling around a few shops to get quotes but I want to make sure he's not going to get a halfass job done and have to go back in again so that I don't have to hear the endless bitching from my wife's sister.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

MalleusDei posted:

My 2005 Legacy GT has/is developed/developing a whine, starting about 30mph or so. Its a 5 speed, and the noise becomes obvious in 3rd. Curiously, the noise is present clutch in, or clutch out. I can't remember if I've tried shifting to neutral and coasting at the speed where it becomes obvious. Seems to get louder during shifts, when the gear lever is moved all the way, i.e. shifting in to 4th and pulled all the way to the rear.

Anybody have any ideas about what this might be? I haven't noticed an difficulty shifting or anything, its just a bit noisier than it used to be.

After some research, I'm leaning towards a bearing in the transmission. Should I take this to any old transmission shop, or should I hit a Subaru specific place?

Any recommendations in the Seattle area for either?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

IOwnCalculus posted:

Subaru folk, enlighten me - anything else to make sure gets done on a 2008 (or 09, I can never remember) WRX for a timing belt service? Off the top of my head I've got all pulleys / tensioners / whatever, water pump, and cam/crank seals. Finally put my brother-in-law's car on ramps to discover that the steering rack is pissing fluid out of the steering input shaft seal, and after crawling around under there I think I'd rather chop off a toe than do the rack. It's also coming up on (or maybe already past?) 100k miles and doesn't have any records of a prior timing belt job.

He's supposed to be calling around a few shops to get quotes but I want to make sure he's not going to get a halfass job done and have to go back in again so that I don't have to hear the endless bitching from my wife's sister.

Spark plugs and drive belt are the only other things I can think of. You're supposed to do all that at 60k, I'm impressed it's lasted this long without it. Did it shoot a rod yet or is it outside if the vin range for that particular issue?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timing belt service isn't at 60k, it's at 105k.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

bull3964 posted:

Timing belt service isn't at 60k, it's at 105k.

Oops, that's an "inspect" item, you're right.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Just wanted to report that I drove 20 miles to work this morning in freezing rain and 27 degrees on Continental ExtremeContact DW's and experienced no traction loss. This is the first year I've run summers on the legacy and I decided to chance an NC winter on them, so far I'm beyond impressed, especially given how much better they grip than all-seasons when it's warm. I mean I was cautious and wasn't driving like as much of an rear end in a top hat as usual but still, it surprised me.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

daslog posted:

So whats' the verdict on Gates water pumps? Are they still good or has the quality dropped to Lower grade Chinese garbage?

From what I gathered when researching this, the Gates timing belt kits have a version that does include the water pump and one that does not, and the Gates pump that comes in the kit isn't the same one that is sold outside of the kit. I could be completely wrong on this. I'm about to do the timing belt on my FXT and am rolling the dice with the Gates pump I bought separate of the kit.

I don't drive very far though. Hell I put gas in it for the first time in 6 weeks today.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Question for Forester crew:

Do you all keep that stupid plastic guard that's underneath the engine? I took it off to diagnose an issue and I'm debating on whether or not to put it back. I live in Florida so salt is a non-issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's an aerodynamic issue as well and it probably factors into sucking warm air out of the engine bay.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
That panel has been beat to gently caress in my legacy and I've gone at it with tin snips a few times just to get rid of broken pieces hanging down. The back half is currently missing. My car's not even that low!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
the last time I had to gently caress with mine I found out it was being held up by only 3 bolts, the rest of the holes had all been torn out and were hanging loose.

does anyone make a metal skid-plate that replaces it?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Scrambles posted:

That panel has been beat to gently caress in my legacy and I've gone at it with tin snips a few times just to get rid of broken pieces hanging down. The back half is currently missing. My car's not even that low!

mine's missing all of the access doors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

the last time I had to gently caress with mine I found out it was being held up by only 3 bolts, the rest of the holes had all been torn out and were hanging loose.

does anyone make a metal skid-plate that replaces it?

Primitive does. I've had two of their skidplates. They're great.

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skidplate/skid_forester.htm

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was actually surprised to see that my BRZ is metal rather than plastic under there. Are the new Imprezas/WRX like that since they don't need access to the oil filter?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've taken some decent hits with the thick one on the rally car without issue.

I've also got one for my wagon I only throw on occasionally. I do generally see better fuel economy with it on though.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Awesome. Now to take care of all the other $200 fixes the drat thing needs before I can start saving up for that skid-plate...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I was actually surprised to see that my BRZ is metal rather than plastic under there. Are the new Imprezas/WRX like that since they don't need access to the oil filter?

I have a plastic thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have to ask, why don't the new WRX's need access to the oil filter?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I have to ask, why don't the new WRX's need access to the oil filter?

2.0L engine has filter access from under the hood.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
The e-brake lever in my 06 outback is kind of sticky. If I yank it up and then put it back down, it seems to lose all tension until I wiggle it a few times with the button depressed and/or press the brake pedal a few times. Can I just replace the return spring, or should I look at the brake shoe assembly behind the rotor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

bull3964 posted:

My 2015 WRX is mostly plastic, but right in the middle of all the front aero bits is a big aluminum skid plate covering the turbo. There's also a couple beefy looking aluminum rails supporting it (and only that plate) as well.