Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

infernal machines posted:

c) a viable business model

d) a spine so we can throw the homeless people and meth cooks out instead of spending eight months having meetings about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

maybe when they shut down the company that buys all of their things will re-open it but instead of noisebridge it will be nosebridge and it will just be a place for you to buy your anatomically correct models of noses and such

src

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sweevo posted:

d) a spine so we can throw the homeless people and meth cooks out instead of spending eight months having meetings about it

i'm not sure if they're really spineless or just complete idiots that truly believe in their anarchist philosophy

or both. the results would be the same regardless (see: occupy)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what is monkeybrains and sonic

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

3d printers save lives http://makezine.com/magazine/hands-on-health-care/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

what is monkeybrains and sonic

ISPs

i have no idea how they're connected to the amphetamine hackers though

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

infernal machines posted:

ISPs

i have no idea how they're connected to the amphetamine hackers though

connection to silk road 5.0

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

"[Noisebridge-discuss posted:

Printing out the TCP standard"]
Someone did in fact print out the entire TCP standard (all 200+ pages), which I know was from a PDF.

The donation jar next to the printers is empty.

We're down to the last ream of paper

Whats a neat way to make that not happen again?

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc793.txt

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

it's a do ocracy so do buy more paper instead of complaining.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
print it again but through figlet this time

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

"But wait, hold on. Didn't we just raise $27,277 in that Reboot IndieGoGo?"

Correct. And we spent it all, and a little bit beyond that. Here's a rough breakdown:

* $1,347 in stickers for IndieGoGo and restocking
* $4,800 for new t-shirts and hoodies
* $23,000 in electrical work
* $2,500 for paint, drywall, safety supplies, tools

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
twenty three thousand dollars in electrical work?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every time they put copper in the walls it kept getting stolen

and nobody had the introspection to think whether they should just give up and burn noisebridge to the ground forever

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cocoa Crispies posted:

is the mission that bad of a neighborhood or is it just ANARCHY ABOVE ALL ELSE?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

have you, like, read the thread at all?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

maniacdevnull posted:

why can't it be both

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Cocoa Crispies posted:

at first i thought you were joking
then i remembered the guy living and making GBS threads below the elevator

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they had to have two electricians tear out most of the electrical wiring and redo it practically from scratch, and they had to shut down for most of the summer to do the electrical work. the place wasn't originally built to be a hackerspace, and naturally instead of calling a professional whenever they needed electrical work done, they just grabbed some tools and customized the electrical setup themselves so basically nothing was up to code

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/File:Proposed_scope_for_noisebridge_v2.0.pdf

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Testiclops posted:

at first i thought you were joking

:ssh:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

of course, if anyone died from the bad electrical work they would just blame the person in question and throw the body into the elevator secret hidden room

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
pretty sure there wasn't actually any stolen copper wire, just that all this work takes mucho dinero

quote:

Proposal For Noisebridge Electrical Work – Start-Date: June 24, 2014
Overview:
NoiseBridge is preparing for a SF Building Inspector's Survey on July 8th. Below is an Initial Scope of Electrical Work to be completed prior to the Survey. Prior to this Survey, we'll eliminate obvious “red-flags” (ie major safety or code violations) in advance, to give the inspector less to order corrected. (For the Survey, we'll leave the power-rails in place, since they may be OK'd, letting the inspector tell us what she/he will allow or require regarding power outlets. During the Survey, the Inspector will likely issue a “Corrections Notice” specifying needed repairs or permits, & other code-violations. We will address this Notice as part of a 2nd (post-survey) Scope of Work.

Phase One – Initial (Pre-Survey-Inspection) Scope of Work

1. Non-Code-Compliant Panels
Label all breakers in all panels; Decommission and remove Panel A (@Top of Stairs); Refeed existing 120 Volt branch circuits, as needed, from existing Panels B or C (@ Elevator or @Shop)

2. Shop
(Panel C) Explore existing EMT to determine if it will pass inspection; Repair existing conduit-wiring as needed;

3. Emergency/Exit Lighting
Explore existing system to validate functionality & make recommendations; Install new exit sign over door to stairs at rear egress; install new exit signs and emergency lighting at (2) locations @Turing & Church, extending existing emergency EMT-wiring as necessary. (Assumes
existing circuit/system is functional)

4. Egress Lighting
Explore existing egress lighting wiring to assess ability to reuse/re-power & make functional; Install 4-way switching for control at all entry/exit points, as required

5. Turing & Church Classrooms
Remove non-code-compliant EMT & wiring;

6. Kitchen
Add 2nd 20A GFI-protected branch circuit at existing receptacle outlet for refrigerator/MW/Toaster, from Panel D; Explore existing EMT & validate that it will pass inspection; remove non-code-compliant EMT or make needed repairs; Install (1) new 120 volt 20A GFI-protected circuit to power 4-plex receptacle at coffee station; remove & reinstall power feed to existing oven to meet code

7. Pantry
Install new fused switch on existing water heater and re-feed to code; remove EMT at entry door; install new pull-chain light fixture at entry door; recommend any other needed enhancements to meet code

8. Server Room
Install (1) new dedicated 120 volt 20A branch circuit from Panel B to ceiling junction box & refeed existing server room receptacle; Explore server room wiring to validate that it will pass inspection

9. Member-shelving Area
Explore need for existing Panel E with members; Assess existing EMT & wiring from Panel E (@Member Shelving) to validate that it will pass inspection; remove any non-compliant EMT & wiring or make needed repairs; make Panel E accessible (volunteers to remove shelving in front of Panel E);

10. Hackatorium Lighting & Central Switching
Make existing central switching functional; Install separate switch for ceiling lighting at Hackatorium; make recommendations for needed enhancements to provide for future receptacle branch circuits at workbenches, as needed per inspector's order;

Hacker Alley
Install (3) new 120 volt 20A branch circuits in EMT from Panel B to power (3) new 4-plex receptacle outlets at workbenches, mounted on (2) 2'x4' studs from ceiling to workbenches (mounting studs to be installed by NB volunteers)

12. Access Control
install (1) new 120 volt 4-plex receptacle, on existing branch circuit, at new shelf above bicycle rack (to be installed by NB volunteers) to power existing access-control devices; remove & re-install existing non- compliant EMT switch/receptacle at entry door

13. Lounge Area
Remove existing non-compliant EMT switch & receptacle; install (1) new 4-plex receptacle on existing branch circuit;

14. Library
Install 4-plex at existing pole in EMT from existing branch circuit at ceiling

15. Permit & Inspection
(4) Provide Electrical Permit & Conduct Survey Inspection; Coordinate with inspector to identify needed corrections; review inspectors correction notice & make recommendations to address needed enhancements

Phase Two – Pre-Final-Inspection Scope of Additional Work (TBD)
16. Ceiling Lighting
Install (6) 2'x4' 4-lamp dimmable LED fixtures with single-pole switching @ Lounge, Hackatorium, Kitchen & Member-shelves, Sewing Area, & 3D printer-world;

17. Shop
Install new switch at shop entry door to control shop lighting; Provide (3) new 120 Volt 20A branch circuits in (3) new 4-plex receptacle outlets at workbench height for tool power

Turing & Church Classrooms
Install (6) new 4-plex receptacles powered on (4) new 120 volt 20A branch circuits run in EMT from Panel C (@ shop) or Panel D (@Kitchen); Install (1) new 120 volt duplex receptacle at Church ceiling for projector power; Install (1) new switch for ceiling lighting & reinstall existing florescent fixture, as needed; Convert existing fixtures to 4-dimmable LED tube lamps each (20)

19. Hackatorium
Install duplex receptacle at ceiling for projector screen powered on existing branch circuit from existing junction box, extending EMT from ceiling as needed; make recommendations for needed enhancements to provide for future receptacle branch circuits at workbenches, as needed per inspector's order (TBD);

20. Inspector-Ordered Scope
Make a plan on how to address required repairs ordered by inspector

21. Permit & Inspections
Most of these items will be specified on the original electrical permit; others may be added to address inspector's Correction Notice; Conduct final electrical inspection & receive electrical inspector's sign-off

You can Sign-up to Help NoiseBridge ReBoot!
Member Workgroup—Clean-up/Organize/Remove/Store Items For Inspection
•Clear debris at rear exit at top of stairs all the way to the front sidewalk
•Remove all items in area in front of shop Panel C
•Remove shelving in member-shelves area from in front of Panel E
•Remove door at member-shelves area
•Remove LED fixture in Shop
•Remove Laser Engraver Cutter
•Remove 3D Printer Etc.
•Remove LED fixture above Hackatorium
•Remove Plotter at Turing
•Remove Washing machine at Pantry
•Remove everything an inspector might view as a safety hazard (e.g. items with exposed high voltage wiring etc)

Member Workgroup—Electrical & Carpentry
•Provide skilled assistance to electricians, on request
•Remove track lighting fixtures
Remove non-code-compliant EMT & wiring, after disconnected by electricians
•Remove Church Projector
•Remove old feeder (for range) from Panel D, after disconnected by electricians
•Install mounting studs at Hacker Alley per item 11
•Install new shelf at access-control equipment per item 12

Member Workgroup—Data-Communications Cable
Re-route and re-support all data communications cable using cable trays or plastic-ties
•Support every 4-6 feet where wall or ceiling-mounted
•cable should not be run across walkways or along the floor for more than 6-10 feet without protection
•cable should not be run within 24” of electrical conduits for more than 36” linearly
•cable should cross electrical conduits at a ninety degree angle (ie perpendicularly)

Member Workgroup—Paint
•Paint all new electrical conduits and junction boxes
•new conduits shouldn't stand out, when compared with older, existing conduits;
•Using various colors is fine

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

uggggggggggggg

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
spoke too soon, maybe there was some theft after all

quote:

[Noisebridge-discuss] Electrician's radio is missing.

Has anybody seen it or used it recently?

--
Rayc

no responses, of course

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
whats the difference between the hackatorium and hackers alley?

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

hackers alley is where the cool kids hang out, the hackatorium is for loving nerds

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

whats the difference between the hackatorium and hackers alley?

hackers alley is where you go to buy your stuff back after it gets stolen out of the hackatorium

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

hackatorium, two nerds enter!!

everybody else shuts the door behind them and locks it so we don't have to deal with them anymore

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

electrical codes are just another thing we don't need in our anarchist paradise

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

tbh i'm surprised the whole place wasn't just power strips chained together going back to one socket

and a bolt on place of the fuse

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
they're already at it again, wiring random poo poo up without any concern for electrical codes or best practices

quote:

[Noisebridge-discuss] Gate buzzer being rewired

Seems that the wireless buzzer didn't work out.

Today I rewired the door strike itself with some brand new wire, and trimmed
up the connections to the control box up top.

Things still to finish:

* Cleaning up the individual floor buttons/speakers/buzzer lines
* Running a new dedicated button line from downstairs to the space that can be
easily tied into as a door button sensor thing
* Reconnect the upstairs speaker to the buzzer

Took a bit longer than expected so I had to bail in the middle of it for other
commitments, but yeah, its totally my fault that the door wiring is different
than before.

Still broken, so at least I didn't break it any further.

quote:

The door buzzer is finished. I also got the elevator buzzer to work again, and
replaced the burnt out indicator bulb that showed when the elevator is wedged.

Only one of the buttons downstairs is wired up to the buzzer, just as it was
ages ago. Needs labeled but that can get sorted out later.

Cheers~

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

maniacdevnull posted:

electrical codes are just another thing we don't need in our anarchist paradise

something something i'm a poo poo-b-gon man as pick shards of glass out of my orange juice and deposit my tiny gold cube into my neighbor's toll booth

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Buzzers are probably low voltage though right. (how do you gently caress up a wireless buzzer)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Buzzers are probably low voltage though right. (how do you gently caress up a wireless buzzer)

quick check says that most buzzers are 10V, doorbells are 16V. i have a wireless doorbell that takes a 9V battery so ymmv

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Main Paineframe posted:

Needs labeled but that can get sorted out later.

megalol

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Should just made one of those pvc talkin tubes you can shout into and someone will hear on the other end.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Should just made one of those pvc talkin tubes you can shout into and someone will hear on the other end.

they had one but the pvc was stolen to make bongs out of

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

qirex posted:

they had one but the pvc was stolen to make bongs out of

christ, you're not joking

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dolomite posted:

hackatorium, two nerds enter!!

one nerd leaves

through the drywall

Adbot