Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm playing WoTB on an iPhone, and though I've seen people mention specifically for Blitz the utility of turning on the "look around" mode so you can observe the area without rotating your turret. This would be huge because I play TDs with fixed guns so have to rotate my whole vehicle to look around me. I checked out everything in Settings but not seeing any option for "look around". Am I missing something?

I'm on the Andriod version so might not be the same, On mine it's the general settings page called 'Lookout Area' on the right hand side below the volume slider, beside the auto-aim toggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The E4 loads slow and doesn't a great lot going for it besides having a turret which happens to one of the best things a TD can have. So you can work around its limitations.

The E4 is for the driver who can't afford to run the E-100

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Waffles and FVs can ruin a single tank if they blunder into them without support, but that's where it usually ends. The FV is like Maus speed now and has a gunner with epilepsy. The WT is almost impossible to miss and everybody and their mother is going to focus it if it's spotted. With all the BA arty around they don't have very long in the open.

You make it sound like there's teamwork and coordination in pub matches; these two vehicles will annihilate the first tier 8 or 9 vehicle they see, usually from a long standoff distance, and the buffed 215b front is quite difficult to pen now in case it doesn't finish you, while most times the 100 will actually kill you before you finish aiming at it. Even better, after the first tank dies most pubbies are so terrified they will refuse to advance while it is reloading, and instead stop and hide. This also presupposes they actually get spotted when shooting, which they typically don't until well into the battle. I don't actually recall the last time I saw a deathstar do sub-3k damage with an orange driver, and even green drivers are typically throwing down 6k damage a battle when I see them. Only the reds seem to be able to gently caress it up often enough to be noteworthy

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Aramoro posted:

I'm on the Andriod version so might not be the same, On mine it's the general settings page called 'Lookout Area' on the right hand side below the volume slider, beside the auto-aim toggle.

gently caress me, it's scrollable. The only hint is a slightly lighter gray line on the far right of the screen. I scrolled down and it shows Auto-Aim, Lookout, Push Notifications Minimap, Second Fire, Second Fire Button, etc.

The SFB actually I could really use, as I hate trying to move my turret and drop my thumb down to hit fire.

Thanks for prodding me to look more closely; it seems like such a simple thing, but if you don't notice that page is scrolling there's no way to find those options.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Cardiac posted:

Rossmums argument is basically saying that the E4 is hosed if someone gets behind in contrast to other tier10 TDs like the E3.
Also, that armour is kinda meh for tier10 since it gets penned from the front unlike other tier 10 TDs.
So, yeah.

No, my argument is that its front doesn't bounce anything and its turret is no benefit to it if it gets circled anyway, so you may as well drive something with no turret but actual armour.

Seriously the E4 is frontally pennable by T9 and 10 mediums at any range they can see it from, and it has those wonderful T110 sides that can be penned from the front if it's even a little angled.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I'd rather play the T30, at least it has a proper turret that bounces things.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

E4 used to be like that :smith:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The turret at least makes corners not suck.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Correct. The T30 also has gun depression.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

rockopete posted:

I can't remember the exact name of the option, it's in one of the normal menus, not even a mod, and switching it means that you will always turn in the same direction regardless of whether you're reversing.

Uh, what you're describing there is the way the control scheme currently works. Do you mean there's an option letting you turn different ways with the same button, depending on whether you're reversing or going forward?

Ninjaedit: think I found it, under controls, below mouse sensitivity, Reverse inversion.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

rossmum posted:

No, my argument is that its front doesn't bounce anything and its turret is no benefit to it if it gets circled anyway, so you may as well drive something with no turret but actual armour.

Seriously the E4 is frontally pennable by T9 and 10 mediums at any range they can see it from, and it has those wonderful T110 sides that can be penned from the front if it's even a little angled.

Nah , the front is hardly autoaim and auto pen even at tier 10. The armour is hardly reliable but you can expect a fair number of bounces especially from non-heat e100s. 750 alpha also means you will come out ahead when trading damage versus most other tier 10s.
As for it having problem when circled , well it has that in common with all other tanks and especially the e3 is horrible in that regard.
Also last time I checked a lot of tier 9 mediums have tier10 guns.

The debate is kinda funny, since what the proponents of the e4 is saying is that it is a perfectly ok tank to pub stomp in. Which is apperently provocative.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

It doesn't need to be "autoaim autopen", because your poo poo gun handling forces you to sit still showing that big stupid turret with a comparatively small mantlet for longer than most mediums need to get off an accurate shot at any distance. Pubbies being incapable of aiming may well be one thing, but anyone who knows what they're doing will only bounce an E4 if they get unlucky RNG into the mantlet or UFP. The lower front, entire turret front that isn't covered by the mantlet, and the cupola are all autopen for T10 medium guns (remembering several T9 mediums now get said guns).

I guess maybe you could make it work pubstomping but I wouldn't trust it. If I was to pick a T10 TD to pubstomp with it would be the 263 or 268 or maybe the E3, not the E4. The risk of running into someone who can aim is too great to justify it, especially when a better version of the same concept exists (the T30).

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

saintonan posted:

As far as I know this doesn't exist. I don't see it in-game, and searching for it only returns posts about people wanting it.

It's weird, I found one post advising me to turn it on and telling me where it is, and now of course when I google for it all I get are posts like you describe. Anyway it does exist, I'm using it, I just can't remember the exact menu option. I do know that it's a check box, I think it has the word 'reverse' in it, and the checkbox is by itself, outside a box shape containing other options/checkboxes, and on the right side of the menu window, maybe down a bit. I'll post a screenshot when I get home today.

e: beaten, Valle found it. Try playing with it on, it takes some getting used to but overall I think it works better, no need to switch keys to maintain a turn arc if you suddenly need to reverse nope, in fact the opposite :downs: but it does help with rotating to avoid/deflect incoming fire.

Also I've read some people saying apparently it's closer to how real tracked vehicles operate? If that matters, shrug. Maybe it will make the Archer more drivable? haven't tried that one yet.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 14, 2015

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

rossmum posted:

Wrong, once again, the turrets makes the E4 so much more flexible then any other T10 TD. Not having to turn your tank around corners/hard cover is what makes it.

and best armor is not getting shot in the first place. E4 shots through anything and can expect the same thing in return. no problem there, and with a 750 alpha you can trade shots with almost anything.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Descar posted:

Wrong, once again, the turrets makes the E4 so much more flexible then any other T10 TD. Not having to turn your tank around corners/hard cover is what makes it.

and best armor is not getting shot in the first place. E4 shots through anything and can expect the same thing in return. no problem there, and with a 750 alpha you can trade shots with almost anything.

Sidescrape out from the corner. You have the armor for it. There, turret problem solved

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

rockopete posted:

e: beaten, Valle found it. Try playing with it on, it takes some getting used to but overall I think it works better, no need to switch keys to maintain a turn arc if you suddenly need to reverse.

But...you don't need to switch keys if you keep it off! Turning it on means you WILL need to switch keys! :confused:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Descar posted:

So you can instead battleship out around the corner and get tracked broadside rather than at an angle showing your front, or best case, sidescrape (which does absolutely nothing for you since your side armour is so thin and your turret is the big problem anyway, not your hull armour).

Descar posted:

750 alpha every what, 10 seconds? 12 seconds? In that same amount of time a T-62 can put about the same into you, and it has a much better chance of dodging your shot than the reverse.

I'm not saying the E4 is totally useless and nobody should ever play it, I'm saying it doesn't intimidate me at all and it is the easiest T10 TD to fight. Whether I can flank it or not, I know I can pen it anywhere from a long enough range that it may not even be able to see me, let alone hit me. For that reason, I'd rather be in any other T10 TD.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

gently caress pubbies

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

no rossmum,

unless your a tomato and placing yourself in the open grassfield, there shouldnt be any problem trading shots.
If there is a t62 wanting to trade a 320 shots for a 750, then thats my point. your not gonna stand there, takin next shot, because then your back behind cover.
The turret gives you that advantige over turretless TD's, you dont need to turn to shoot. reload doesnt matter, can be 20+ sec whatever

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

That might sound fine in theory but in practice it just isn't good enough, especially on maps where there isn't a whole lot of real good cover or safe positions for the E4.

That and you still need to aim, which takes long enough that a medium can pen your turret and disappear back into cover. Peek and poke only works against tanks with worse aimtime or agility than yourself (or both). By the time the E4 aims in a T-62 has already fired and ducked back into cover, and if you snapshot and miss you've just signed your own death warrant. A T-62 trading 320 for 750 doesn't happen outside of the T-62 having a poo poo crew or being driven by an idiot, because it can fire while it's moving for all it cares and still hit. The E4 sure as poo poo cannot, even at close range.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Russian mediums are pretty overrated for pub matches.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:
The best pub stomping T10 TD is the E-100, unless you doing a mission that explicitly requires TDs.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Valle posted:

But...you don't need to switch keys if you keep it off! Turning it on means you WILL need to switch keys! :confused:

Really? Mine started with it switched on, weird.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

rockopete posted:

Really? Mine started with it switched on, weird.

I use WASD, when I hit W and A I go forward and turn left. When I hit S and A I go backwards and turn left. Just like a car with a steering wheel really. If the option is not turned on in settings, that's how it should be...

Valle fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 14, 2015

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

rossmum posted:

750 alpha every what, 10 seconds? 12 seconds? In that same amount of time a T-62 can put about the same into you, and it has a much better chance of dodging your shot than the reverse.

My e3 reloads in 14 seconds and the e4 is longer than that.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 14, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Soviet Space Dog posted:

The best pub stomping T10 TD is the E-100, unless you doing a mission that explicitly requires TDs.

The E-100 costs too many credits to use, even with premium, that's why the E4 is the poor mans E-100

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011
Ross, in response to your excelsior vid and thinking out getting one, DO IT! This is an old replay that I posted on here before, but it just too good not to post again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgiWOxmVry4

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

The E-100 costs too many credits to use, even with premium, that's why the E4 is the poor mans E-100

I make money in my E100 firing 100% Gold.

Steps to achieve this:

1. Maintain 85% hit rate
2. Win

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 14, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Saint Celestine posted:

Steps to achieve this:

1. Maintain 85% hit rate
2. Win

So you're saying click red tanks. Gotcha.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

So you're saying click red tanks. Gotcha.

No, I'm saying be really really good at clicking red tanks.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

rossmum posted:

That might sound fine in theory but...

It doesnt just sound fine, it works.

This game isnt about 1on1, you dont sign any "death warrant" by missing shots. what signs your death warrant is not useing the terrain as cover. Most likely id drive my e4 out when i see that you allready have shot at something else, then if you peek out again, you get a 750shot, and maybe you hit a snapshot back.. Effectivly lockin down your position, you'll proberly relocate then take a E4 shot, so suddenly I have control over that area.

E4 is really flexible tank, good on all maps.

Im not familiar with the difference between EU and NA servers, but i get a feeling that there's alot worse/smaller playerbase in NA, and you have to play smarter in EU to stay in the top.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Saint Celestine posted:

Steps to achieve this:

1. Maintain 85% hit rate
2. Win

You mean 85% damage rate, not hit rate, HEAT shells have a tendency to vanish into spaced armour and tracks despite best efforts, plus occasional bounces.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

You mean 85% damage rate, not hit rate, HEAT shells have a tendency to vanish into spaced armour and tracks despite best efforts, plus occasional bounces.

Don't fire HEAT into spaced armor and tracks then? Regardless, As long as 85% of your shells are doing damage, you should make enough with a victory to make a bit of credits.

Also, E100 fights, if the other E100 is firing heat, just full on turn your side to it battleship mode and angle your turret. It makes no sense, but it confuses the poo poo out of people when they see easy side shots and your spaced armor absorbs it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Saint Celestine posted:

Don't fire HEAT into spaced armor and tracks then?

So you're saying skip the shot in order to reload AP? Because that's not a quick reload time

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Who loving cares if you lose a couple thousand credits in a T10 match? Drive an FCM or Type 59 once and pay for 10 T10 battles worth of losses. I'm an abject shitter myself and when I played I lost money on only the bottom 20% of my lovely matches.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Overwined posted:

Who loving cares if you lose a couple thousand credits in a T10 match? Drive an FCM or Type 59 once and pay for 10 T10 battles worth of losses. I'm an abject shitter myself and when I played I lost money on only the bottom 20% of my lovely matches.

Because for me it's 2 average battles or 1 great battle in a T34 to make up for an E-100 loss, it's not just a couple thousand credits. Just not sustainable when I really want to be playing a tier 10 in tier 10 battles, not a tier 8 in tier 10 battles, not to mention i'm still 40 million credits short of buying everything i have unlocked.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

So you're saying skip the shot in order to reload AP? Because that's not a quick reload time

No? Just hold your shot. You don't HAVE to fire if you know that what you're currently aiming at is going to for sure bounce/not pen.

Wait till your opponent makes a mistake or shoot at something else.

Hypothetically, if you turn the corner and see an IS-7 hull down, it'd be stupid to waste ammo firing at poo poo you know you cant damage, so why bother. Go somewhere else.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Valle posted:

I use WASD, when I hit W and A I go forward and turn left. When I hit S and A I go backwards and turn left. Just like a car with a steering wheel really. If the option is not turned on in settings, that's how it should be...

Ah I'm utter poo poo at articulating. The setting I have it at means that A will always turn my tank's nose to the left, regardless of forwards or backwards movement. Meaning that if I'm trying to rotate my front end to face someone, I use the same directional key going forwards or reversing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Saint Celestine posted:

No? Just hold your shot. You don't HAVE to fire if you know that what you're currently aiming at is going to for sure bounce/not pen.

Wait till your opponent makes a mistake or shoot at something else.

Well that's totally absurd, what if it's either shoot HEAT at the side of an IS-3/7 or lose your artillery to it and potentially the game? That's ok, I'm holding my shot waiting for a better opportunity.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

Steps to achieve this:

1. Maintain 85% hit rate
2. Win

Winning Solo would be the problem doh, not the hit rate.
Get a platoon, win close to every game = profit in any tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Well that's totally absurd, what if it's either shoot HEAT at the side of an IS-3/7 or lose your artillery to it and potentially the game? That's ok, I'm holding my shot waiting for a better opportunity.

So fire your shot, have it bounce, and then lose the game/arty regardless.

Or, hold your shot, try to either reposition to get a better angle, or to aim at a weakspot.

Sounds like you've already lost in the situation you first described.