Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Volmarias posted:

Yes, the truly poor corporations, like Amazon, and Google, and IBM, and

Microsoft

sfwarlock posted:

"You just haven't given Server 2012 a chance. You need to embrace change, because it's inevitable anyway."

Also, a popular excuse for Windows 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
"Give it a chance" doesn't mean burning down your existing infrastructure and switch everything over wholesale.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

ConfusedUs posted:

GUIs and CLIs both have their places.

It's really nice to be able to just click a button and fix something, or to compare two things side by side. GUIs are good at these things!

It's also really nice to find a common task, write a script for it, and set that sumbitch to run whenever neccssary. CLIs are good at these things!

It's even okay to prefer one over the other. I really prefer working in a GUI whenever possible. Fiddling with conf files and manually writing out stuff sucks! But even so, I have absolutely written a few Powershell and batch scripts to automate repetitive, common tasks.

Absolutely. I usually prefer a GUI as well. Somehow at work I've become the CLI guy, though, I'm the only one loving with Powershell (manually deploy this software for testing? gently caress THAT I'll write a script) and Linux terminals, or getting into our switches, to get poo poo done.

Hell, I'm the general "poo poo we don't know" guy it seems, given that I'm the only one there that also knows Mac OSs and Linux anymore. The other two guys are basically all Windows/Windows Server GUI, all day.

I think it's the same with OSs too, actually. I've transitioned most of my work over to Mac and use it way more than my Windows machine now, but I still have that on my desk for when I need it. Sometimes it's just the better option.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 14, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

The recruiter changed his mind and submitted me to the client. He said that my argument that unlike the online test the questions the client really needs answered can't be Googled, and that I already have all those answers made sense to him. I don't know if he's going to sell me as strongly as I deserve but I'm counting this as a small victory. I appreciate all the support I get here. It has helped so much, allowing me to shed the angst I had from the last job and keep my head in the game.

Glad you posted this DT, because the advice I was going to give was to say "gently caress the recruiter" and go to his boss and tell him how much of a cock-up the recruiter is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Glad you posted this DT, because the advice I was going to give was to say "gently caress the recruiter" and go to his boss and tell him how much of a cock-up the recruiter is.

I was thinking "you dodged a bullet if their hiring process is stupid enough to give assessment tests to a role that senior".

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

I was thinking "you dodged a bullet if their hiring process is stupid enough to give assessment tests to a role that senior".

Agreed. I used an online test when I was hiring for entry-level techs, basically to weed out the guys who were "real good with cars" and assumed that carried over to computers. For positions that required independent thought, I used this crazy thing called a "phone interview" to see if it was worth our time (and theirs) to come in for a face-to-face.

I thought I'd miss that kind of work when I left that job and went back to basically being a sysadmin. I don't. At all.

J
Jun 10, 2001

jim truds posted:

This weird job posting.

How many lines about printers can one job posting have? Holy poo poo. gently caress printers.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Dick Trauma posted:

The recruiter changed his mind and submitted me to the client. He said that my argument that unlike the online test the questions the client really needs answered can't be Googled, and that I already have all those answers made sense to him. I don't know if he's going to sell me as strongly as I deserve but I'm counting this as a small victory. I appreciate all the support I get here. It has helped so much, allowing me to shed the angst I had from the last job and keep my head in the game.

I suspect this was an attempt in trying to poo poo on you a bit so he can argue you down from whatever salary point you wanted. It's the only logical line of thought for using a standardized test for something as specialized as IT. But then I'm cynical like that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Raerlynn posted:

I suspect this was an attempt in trying to poo poo on you a bit so he can argue you down from whatever salary point you wanted. It's the only logical line of thought for using a standardized test for something as specialized as IT. But then I'm cynical like that.
I was thinking the recruiter had a bunch of other people fail that lovely test too and had to readjust his lovely criteria

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm seriously wondering if the recruiter went to the IT director and gave him the bad news, and when he mentioned it was because of a stupid assessment test, got his head handed to him and told him to get DT back on the phone right the gently caress now.

I mean, it's a faint hope, but it's there :shobon:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

lampey posted:

Have you seen the new xps 13? 15 hour batter life, 5th gen haswell, super light, great screen.

I'm guessing but "Trackpad that's still a crime against nature just like every PC laptop ever"?

Dick Trauma posted:

I did tell him that in the real world if I have a question I can't answer I just use my highly refined Google skills and would easily get 100%. It's up to him to decide how important that dumb test is in comparison to what I've been doing the last fifteen years.

Anyway I'm just going to chalk this up to experience and be ready if someone else tosses a test at me. I haven't taken a drat computer test since the 1990s.

"I didn't hire this Nascar champion to drive my stock car because he turned out to be bad at football. I know it's not related to the position but a good sportsman should be able to play any sport".

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dudley posted:

I'm guessing but "Trackpad that's still a crime against nature just like every PC laptop ever"?

It doesn't look like it has separate buttons, so probably.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's certainly one of the 3 problems I tend to have.

the other 2 being that they're always tiny compared to the mac ones and that they never really understand multitouch gestures properly.

It's pretty much the only reason I still have a 5year old Macbook even though I don't really like OSX.

EDIT : Oh yeah, the other problem, track pads that are off centre. Especially when it's to the left. I'm right handed damnit!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so used to tap to click and two-finger tap = right click that going back to a mousepad that doesn't have either of those things (or god forbid, forces me to actually use it's left/right click buttons) confuses the hell out of me. I don't even use OS X.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

BurgerQuest posted:

I'm so used to tap to click and two-finger tap = right click that going back to a mousepad that doesn't have either of those things (or god forbid, forces me to actually use it's left/right click buttons) confuses the hell out of me. I don't even use OS X.

It's all set in the driver, not in the touchpad itself. Just download the latest Alps or Synaptics driver, and every touchpad from the last 10 years will have it.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Our userbase is so entitled that literally running out of paper and having to put it in themselves is impossible, so we're hiring a guy to do that for them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

LordVorbis posted:

Our userbase is so entitled that literally running out of paper and having to put it in themselves is impossible, so we're hiring a guy to do that for them.

Please have 10 years experience in putting paper into a printer.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

luminalflux posted:

My ordering process for HP owns. I call my salesperson at my VAR, say "I need 3 more servers exactly like I bought last month and VMware licenses for them, let me know when they're ready for delivery to the datacenter and I'll give you a delivery number".

you're probably doing it wrong

If I need a single server, or a complete preconfigured 15 machine end-to-end environment (databases, webservers, nginx, esb, etc.) for testing, it's just a single command line tool and waiting a couple a few minutes. Then, they're automatically killed at the end of the business day. I'm just a dev, and I can spin up whatever machines I need.

If the production servers need scaling out, that's changing some limits in configuration files, and redeploying.

We used to run in 3 datacentres, now 2, this year, it'll be 1 + Amazon, and I expect next year, purely on other peoples managed hardware.

i was sceptical, but there's just no comparison in terms of speed of configuration, scalability and flexibility.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Dudley posted:

"I didn't hire this Nascar champion to drive my stock car because he turned out to be bad at football. I know it's not related to the position but a good sportsman should be able to play any sport".

I think/hope it's closer to not drafting a QB because he can't tell you what teams are in which divisions in the NFL. It's a little unnerving but ultimately probably not a signal of anything at all with regards to quality.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dear Users,

I can deal with your stupidity, but when you outright refuse to try to help yourself with my troubleshooting steps, your problem is going on the bottom of my pile. If that problem requires a site visit, due to your refusal to let me walk you through the solution on the phone, you're going to learn how hard it is for a solo admin to find time to get out of the office to visit one of our 16 remote sites during the course of a normal IT week. And if you never actually submit a ticket for your issue after bitching to me over the phone, God help you.

Sincerely,

Sirotan

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

jim truds posted:

If this happens please send a screenshot of the posting.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

I think/hope it's closer to not drafting a QB because he can't tell you what teams are in which divisions in the NFL. It's a little unnerving but ultimately probably not a signal of anything at all with regards to quality.

It reminds me of a rumor at my school of a "Computer Application Systems" professor whose final exam involved hand-drawing, from memory, the Word toolbars. (This was pre-ribbon.)

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Pissing me off. Customers who send random emails to our ticketing mailbox, which means that a ticket is created, and now I have to follow up on their email asking if anyone is logged into system x, provide regular status updates, and keep the ticket open until I have documentation proving that the issue was resolved to their satisfaction and they approved case closure.

Oddly enough, since there is nothing wrong and they don't even know they created a ticket, they are not very good about getting back to me.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Trammel posted:

If I need a single server, or a complete preconfigured 15 machine end-to-end environment (databases, webservers, nginx, esb, etc.) for testing, it's just a single command line tool and waiting a couple a few minutes. Then, they're automatically killed at the end of the business day. I'm just a dev, and I can spin up whatever machines I need.

If the production servers need scaling out, that's changing some limits in configuration files, and redeploying.

We used to run in 3 datacentres, now 2, this year, it'll be 1 + Amazon, and I expect next year, purely on other peoples managed hardware.

i was sceptical, but there's just no comparison in terms of speed of configuration, scalability and flexibility.

Are you implying he's talking about VMs?

because uh

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Dear Users,

I can deal with your stupidity, but when you outright refuse to try to help yourself with my troubleshooting steps, your problem is going on the bottom of my pile. If that problem requires a site visit, due to your refusal to let me walk you through the solution on the phone, you're going to learn how hard it is for a solo admin to find time to get out of the office to visit one of our 16 remote sites during the course of a normal IT week. And if you never actually submit a ticket for your issue after bitching to me over the phone, God help you.

Sincerely,

Sirotan

Willful ignorance is basically the only user trait that drives me up the wall. I know you're not good with computers, let me help you. Tell me what's on the screen. Don't absolutely refuse to follow my directions because "I'm not a computer person, you'll have to figure it out."

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Are you implying he's talking about VMs?

because uh

He was suggesting that the other poster was "doing it wrong", because the solution was simply calling your supplier for hardware if you need a new server. Then presumably waiting a few days. There's other solutions now.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

mewse posted:

Willful ignorance is basically the only user trait that drives me up the wall. I know you're not good with computers, let me help you. Tell me what's on the screen. Don't absolutely refuse to follow my directions because "I'm not a computer person, you'll have to figure it out."

I teach training courses in a software to empower business day to day users to create charts and visualization.

Some classes people self select into. Those are great. Others are paid for by offices who shove everyone into the class who can fit. These tend to have people who get lost quickly, get flustered, care immensely about how they look in front of their co workers, and go as far as accusing me of making it hard on purpose to mess with them.

They'll also bring their laptops from their docking station two floors up to the room, but fail to bring their mouse and complain that the touchpad is too difficult to use. Also they frequently cannot log into their own laptop and I don't have a clue as to how that can happen.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Trammel posted:

He was suggesting that the other poster was "doing it wrong", because the solution was simply calling your supplier for hardware if you need a new server. Then presumably waiting a few days. There's other solutions now.

I'm aware of this - I use most of my physical machines to run VMware. :yayclod: or rented VM solutions sadly aren't always the best given certain criteria, and sometimes you need physical hardware in a specific location. (In my case EBS performance wasn't up to scratch for Postgres when I built it out, and rented VMs with the SLA I needed would cost more than running it myself with less overall suckage)

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 14, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mewse posted:

My two largest customers are in healthcare, so I deal with a lot of nurses. As is pretty normal in the field, most of them are women. The number of times I hear something like "I'm a girl so I don't know any of that computer stuff, you men can figure it out" drives me up the wall. No, the bits between your legs have nothing to do with your lack of interest in learning skills that are becoming more and more relevant to your job as electronic medical records become the standard.

The old farts who just don't care and happily admit it I can deal with a lot better, at least they're not trying to make a lovely excuse by reinforcing stupid stereotypes.

Sometimes I wish I could pull off a convincing female voice over the phone just to get them to cut that crap out.

Also pissing me off, Zendesk. There have been feature requests for years asking for an option to split tickets, since a large number of users are apparently incapable of separating their thoughts and/or starting a new email and will end up stacking a single ticket with everything under the sun. We have merge to deal with the other class of idiot who never hits the loving reply button and starts a new ticket with every response, but the need to split tickets has been consistently ignored.

At some point they added an "app" using their API and a special hidden field to allow you to create a linked ticket, and they seem to believe that this is now the solution to all problems. It works well for the cases where one main ticket has tasks that need to go to different groups and such, but still doesn't really handle the "moron user" case.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Trammel posted:

I mean, AWS, Rackspace, Azure, and other providers are great if you don't already have capital invested in a datacenter. This makes a lot of sense for startups (and post-startups like Pinterest/etc), but zero sense for established businesses who existed before it was a thing.

If you do, and you don't have a need for incredible on the spot scaling (or you can shove a few racks for openstack compute nodes in), AWS and friends are a total cost failure.

And if you're judicious about killing extra instances. Otherwise you end up with $5k/month of unutilized instances (not that this can't happen in real life, but at least you can resell that to recoup some money)

The other solutions aren't always better. It's getting closer, but it's not there yet for a lot of businesses.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

My experience is that older people may give up and quit but they blame themselves. Younger people blame you. I hate people my age who are tech incompetent.

I hate it worse when they're the analysts. What exactly are you analyzing? You can't build a report or a chart.

The answer is they make other people do it and read the results. I know a lot of people in tech are not savvy at the business level, but I'm pretty sure even the most robotic tech guy can produce a trendline with a little context behind it.

All that's left is comparative advantage or sticky labor as an explanation. That is, the good analysts are worth too much to hire so you hire a human version of a dumb terminal to read reports and the tech side produces those reports for multiple dumb terminals. Or the idiot can't be fired because federal employee.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

mewse posted:

"I'm not a computer person, you'll have to figure it out."

Personal pet peeve right here. You spend 8 hours of your day sitting in front of a computer. Learn the basics of how to use it and what all the basic parts of it are called.

People spend considerably less time driving in a day yet seem to know what brakes, gas, oil and windshield wipers are. If you went up to a mechanic and said "my make seer while rainy thingie isn't working" he'd probably think you are retarded, and I think the same thing when you don't know what a loving mouse is called.

Second pet peeve is people hitting a dumb button then claiming they didn't do anything. Look this call will be over much faster if you just tell me what dumb button you hit. I'm not going to get you in trouble as that requires far more effort than I'm willing to put into making someone elses day lovely. I just want to unclick the button so I can go on to do other things.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

Personal pet peeve right here. You spend 8 hours of your day sitting in front of a computer. Learn the basics of how to use it and what all the basic parts of it are called.

People spend considerably less time driving in a day yet seem to know what brakes, gas, oil and windshield wipers are. If you went up to a mechanic and said "my make seer while rainy thingie isn't working" he'd probably think you are retarded, and I think the same thing when you don't know what a loving mouse is called.

Second pet peeve is people hitting a dumb button then claiming they didn't do anything. Look this call will be over much faster if you just tell me what dumb button you hit. I'm not going to get you in trouble as that requires far more effort than I'm willing to put into making someone elses day lovely. I just want to unclick the button so I can go on to do other things.

Counterpoint: people also suck at driving and it's like the leading killer of said people. They will remain so ignorant that it's dangerous.

Ataraxia
Jun 15, 2001

Champion of nothing.

wolrah posted:

Also pissing me off, Zendesk. There have been feature requests for years asking for an option to split tickets, since a large number of users are apparently incapable of separating their thoughts and/or starting a new email and will end up stacking a single ticket with everything under the sun. We have merge to deal with the other class of idiot who never hits the loving reply button and starts a new ticket with every response, but the need to split tickets has been consistently ignored.

At some point they added an "app" using their API and a special hidden field to allow you to create a linked ticket, and they seem to believe that this is now the solution to all problems. It works well for the cases where one main ticket has tasks that need to go to different groups and such, but still doesn't really handle the "moron user" case.
You're talking about the 'Linked Ticket' app yes?

We use the 'create ticket on behalf of' feature in enterprise and split out tickets manually, also good for throwing poo poo that people send in via other channels than the helpdesk, into the helpdesk. Mainly it's a user education issue though and maybe you're in the position to say "if there's no ticket there's no problem" and ignore anything outside that... but probably not..

There's another app called 'Proactive Tickets' which will let you do this I think - I don't know, we have a hub & spoke setup for multiple brands and they added some custom app stuff to handle ticket creation & flow. The hub & spoke is a whole other can of worms but we're ditching it soon thank gently caress. They are in limited rollout of multi-branding within a single instance, which I will be looking at tomorrow.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Over the last three hours our maintenance guy has called twice asking to speak to my colleague. Said colleague is in an all day meeting, and I told maintenance that, and asked, "Can I help you?" First time he said no and hung up. Second time he said he really need to speak to my colleague so I advised sending an email. He replied with, "I don't understand all this technology that's impossible for me. I'll just have to wait." and then hung up.

About an hour later another person from the floor he's on walks downstairs to my desk and tells me that the maintenance guy came to her to ask if she "was any good with computers?" He had made his toolbar in lotus notes hidden and couldn't get it to come back. I showed her where view toolbars were on my machine and asked if this was what he needed to speak to my colleague about. Yup. For four hours.

I don't mind people who don't understand computers. I don't even mind people who go, "ho ho ho, technology isn't for me." but when I'm literally offering to help you and you'd rather do nothing for four hours? Actually, I don't mind that either. Didn't cost me anything, and probably shaved some years off that guys life from stress.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

jim truds posted:

Yo! :smith:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ataraxia posted:

You're talking about the 'Linked Ticket' app yes?

We use the 'create ticket on behalf of' feature in enterprise and split out tickets manually, also good for throwing poo poo that people send in via other channels than the helpdesk, into the helpdesk. Mainly it's a user education issue though and maybe you're in the position to say "if there's no ticket there's no problem" and ignore anything outside that... but probably not..

There's another app called 'Proactive Tickets' which will let you do this I think - I don't know, we have a hub & spoke setup for multiple brands and they added some custom app stuff to handle ticket creation & flow. The hub & spoke is a whole other can of worms but we're ditching it soon thank gently caress. They are in limited rollout of multi-branding within a single instance, which I will be looking at tomorrow.

Yeah it's the Linked Ticket app, in all the threads requesting proper splits that's what their people have been posting to use recently. We do use the create ticket on behalf of feature a lot, it's just one of those things where it seems like it should be so easy to just have a button that removes the selected comment or comments from the current ticket, moves them to a new one, and leaves a note saying that happened.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LordVorbis posted:

Pet peeve here: Users at my work put paper in the printers themselves.. But they never put in more than half of the ream, then leave the other half laying around. I've tried telling them that the magazine is designed to take exactly one full ream, but they just go :downs: durr, but it looks like it won't fit.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Collateral Damage posted:

Pet peeve here: Users at my work put paper in the printers themselves.. But they never put in more than half of the ream, then leave the other half laying around. I've tried telling them that the magazine is designed to take exactly one full ream, but they just go :downs: durr, but it looks like it won't fit.

I had this "issue" as well, but when they started chucking the paper in, they started stuffing a full ream in, and then some. So now I get to tell people to not put in more than a full ream as I'm yanking bits of hot paper out of a printer.

oh oh, I got told to do an inventory on our systems here to find out how many systems are under 8 gigs of ram. So I figure I get to play around with this new fangled spiceworks that our admin put up a couple of weeks ago and see if I can finish the project with lots of time left over. NOPE, spiceworks can only see half the f'n network. Now I'm using powershell to pull the information and I only know how to get it done one system at a time. ugh.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I had this "issue" as well, but when they started chucking the paper in, they started stuffing a full ream in, and then some. So now I get to tell people to not put in more than a full ream as I'm yanking bits of hot paper out of a printer.

oh oh, I got told to do an inventory on our systems here to find out how many systems are under 8 gigs of ram. So I figure I get to play around with this new fangled spiceworks that our admin put up a couple of weeks ago and see if I can finish the project with lots of time left over. NOPE, spiceworks can only see half the f'n network. Now I'm using powershell to pull the information and I only know how to get it done one system at a time. ugh.

Just download PDQ Inventory.