Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Zhentar posted:

This Flir E6 and Seek Thermal comparison is pretty good (although the latest Seek app update improves the Seek image a bit). Basically, it's garbage in comparison to the professional tools but of course the professional tools are priced well above their value to a DIY'er.

On the other hand, you're apparently really bad at it, so maybe you do need something high power...

IMO, a "weekend warrior" is probably best served by a 12v cordless line. You generally don't need long battery life, and the rare cases you need more power, a corded tool will suffice, while the compact and light weight tools are much more convenient, and can fit into small areas where larger tools won't fit.

The FLIR eX series are great devices, but the trick to them is to understand from the e4 to the e8, it's literally the same exact hardware but limited in software .. oh and they add digital noise on the e4 to make the image less clear. Latest firmware was "hacked" .. there's a quick python script to run on 2.3.0 devices and it does the work for you. My e4 is now an e8 with 320x240 resolution for zero cost. The images are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'd love to have something like that but the cost makes no sense for me as someone who wants it 75% for the neat factor and 25% for DIY projects. The Seek is good enough to be fun to mess with and somewhat useful (to me anyway.)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

powderific posted:

Yeah, I'd love to have something like that but the cost makes no sense for me as someone who wants it 75% for the neat factor and 25% for DIY projects. The Seek is good enough to be fun to mess with and somewhat useful (to me anyway.)

Yeah, I can totally understand it. I am a pure DIY person, I work in IT so I have no need for this for work purposes. I do find myself doing a lot more construction stuff lately, such as remodeling my grandparents kitchen, main bath and laundry room due to bad water leaks and doing volunteer maintenance, so I kinda justified it because it will really aid in those areas. If I have to gut a place down to the floor joists, I might as well do things right on the way back up. :)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I think I have decided that I need to return the corded DeWalt drill, and get an M12 combo kit, I think this is the best one: $160 3/8" drill, 1/4" impact, 1 free XC battery

I've been trying to convince myself to maybe upgrade to the M12 fuel kit, but that would be $289. . . If anything, I think the best next step up would be an M18 non fuel kit for $199 since I think it would have similar power to the M12 fuel.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 14, 2015

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
There are two things I use every day all day in my shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LCT200W-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B000V2DSE2/

http://www.amazon.com/Swanson-SO101-7-inch-Speed-Square/dp/B00002255O/

Worth every penny.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think I have decided that I need to return the corded DeWalt drill, and get an M12 combo kit, I think this is the best one: $160 3/8" drill, 1/4" impact, 1 free XC battery

I've been trying to convince myself to maybe upgrade to the M12 fuel kit, but that would be $289. . . If anything, I think the best next step up would be an M18 non fuel kit for $199 since I think it would have similar power to the M12 fuel.

If you don't need it immediately, these combo kits were regularly going on sale for $99 before Christmas.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7430268-milwaukee-m12-12-volt-lithium-ion-cordless-drill-driver-impact-driver-combo-kit-2-tool-99-home-depot

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I hate to bring it back to the miter saw discussion, but this DeWalt DWS782 just went on sale at Lowe's. It doesn't have a light, or a precision laser to aid cutting (both of which I would've liked to have), but at a -$250 discount it's quite tempting. Any thoughts on this particular miter saw?

Also, I want to buy a miter saw stand. Is it possible to mix-and-match brands? ie. can a DeWalt miter saw be mounted onto a Makita brand saw stand?

(Thanks to the posters who discussed their miter saws in really great detail a few pages back, by the way).

melon cat fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 14, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

I have both of those and a second impact driver (wife and I do a lot of volunteer construction). We were able to pick that kit up for a steal from Home Depot .. including coupon it was like $160 about a year ago. Still, at the Amazon price it is 100% worth it. My speed square is one of my favorite tools now that I learned how to really put it to good use.

I bought a miter saw protractor the other day, quite surprised most of my walls are 45° .. will make crown much easier.

melon cat posted:

I hate to bring it back to the miter saw discussion, but this DeWalt DWS782 just went on sale at Lowe's. It doesn't have a light, or a precision laser to aid cutting (both of which I would've liked to have), but at a -$250 discount it's quite tempting. Any thoughts on this particular miter saw?

Also, I want to buy a miter saw stand. Is it possible to mix-and-match brands? ie. can a DeWalt miter saw be mounted onto a Makita brand saw stand?

(Thanks to the posters who discussed their miter saws in really great detail a few pages back, by the way).

Mine is similar to this, but much older that I inherited from my dad when he died. It is about 15 years old and powers through anything I need to cut .. I don't think you'll go wrong with this one either.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

melon cat posted:

Don't feel like you're in a rush on it though, $450 CAD appears to be "regular price" on amazon.
http://ca.camelcamelcamel.com/DEWALT-DWS782-12-Inch-Slide-Compound/product/B00ITS6NCY

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Stumbled across a harbor freight DC already upgraded with the Wynn filter the other day on craigslist, can finally contemplate running a table saw or planer in the basement shop.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have that DC, what's the story with the filter?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Yeah, I only want to drive screws into wood. . . I really don't care for working on cars ($$$, greasy, too cold/hot, etc) so I will probably never need to combat rusted on bolts or other stuff requiring lots of torque. But I am also up for considering DeWalt 20V drills if my B&D brand battery and charger are compatible.

I don't think the Dewalt will be able to use the B&D battery. They are close but the manufacturers change the bits around it to make it only fit their brand. This really pisses me off.

I bought a Porter Cable 20v bare metal jigsaw because it looooked like the B&D battery would fit with a small modification with a dremel but it didn't work and I lost the appetite for cutting off bits and bobs after about 10 minutes. I ended up getting another PC cordless drill with 2 batteries and a charger for $99 and I love it. It's nice having a second cordless and the battery in my really old Dewalt is getting weak anyway.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Bad Munki posted:

Supposedly the bag filter that comes with the harbor freight DC (or really any other brand) doesn't do a great job of keeping the really fine particles out of the air. Since my shop is in the basement I figure maximum filtration is key. Wynn filters are the go-to recommendation for an upgrade.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

I don't think the Dewalt will be able to use the B&D battery. They are close but the manufacturers change the bits around it to make it only fit their brand. This really pisses me off.

I bought a Porter Cable 20v bare metal jigsaw because it looooked like the B&D battery would fit with a small modification with a dremel but it didn't work and I lost the appetite for cutting off bits and bobs after about 10 minutes. I ended up getting another PC cordless drill with 2 batteries and a charger for $99 and I love it. It's nice having a second cordless and the battery in my really old Dewalt is getting weak anyway.

I later found out on an Amazon page for one of the batteries where the seller asked if a B&D lawn tool battery would fit a B&D Dewalt drill and the seller just said "No they are completely incompatible" - which honestly could easily mean that they just need a dremel mod, but that is too much effort IMO.

In the end, I decided to get a $169 M12 fuel impact driver kit with the driver, 2 batteries, and a charger. Then I found the M12 non-fuel drill/driver on Amazon for $40, so for $200 I'm getting the larger fuel batteries, a higher power brush less impact driver, and a compatible drill. I can sell the drill later if I really want to upgrade it to a fuel drill, but I doubt that will be necessary. Total with shipping and tax everything is about $220 vs $289 + tax for a fuel kit from home depot. What did surprise me was how Amazon wanted about $200 for the impact driver kit and HD was cheaper. I also looked at a couple other suppliers, they were all the same or higher - sears was the worst at $256 for the fuel impact driver kit :lol: I guess they must have to mark it up to make the Crapsman line look better.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 14, 2015

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Mine is similar to this, but much older that I inherited from my dad when he died. It is about 15 years old and powers through anything I need to cut .. I don't think you'll go wrong with this one either.
Thanks for the info on that. It's good to hear that your late father's tools are as helpful to his son as they once were to him! Just out of curiosity- are there any features on your inherited version that are missing on the current version?

canyoneer posted:

Don't feel like you're in a rush on it though, $450 CAD appears to be "regular price" on amazon.
http://ca.camelcamelcamel.com/DEWALT-DWS782-12-Inch-Slide-Compound/product/B00ITS6NCY
Heh, I just noticed the same thing. Amazon Canada has it for about $10 cheaper, and Lowes Canada tells me that they'll match it in-store. I seem a bit hurried because I'm starting some renovations in February, but it's good to know that I can take my time in choosing a miter saw.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

Thanks for the info on that. It's good to hear that your late father's tools are as helpful to his son as they once were to him! Just out of curiosity- are there any features on your inherited version that are missing on the current version?

Heh, I just noticed the same thing. Amazon Canada has it for about $10 cheaper, and Lowes Canada tells me that they'll match it in-store. I seem a bit hurried because I'm starting some renovations in February, but it's good to know that I can take my time in choosing a miter saw.

I was able to have several of his tools and each has been put to good use more and more. The model I have is the DW708 and it seems very similar to the model you listed. Same size motor (15 amp), same blade size, sliding, compound miter. My dad always had a habit of buying good stuff, but that is a logical choice when those are your bread and butter. I don't think you'll go wrong with this saw.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bad Munki posted:

I think the benefit is supposed to be better air flow than a bag, less resistance. Plus they look cool. I suspect the latter sells more filters than anything else.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
From what I've heard the bags don't get the smallest particles, which are also the most dangerous ones. I dunno how paranoid one ought to be about wood dust, but I can have a cough for days afterwards I've spent time in my shop. Using my full face respirator though I get nothing at all. And it doubles as eye protection (that never fogs over).

I'm currently looking to build my own blower and a thien separator, I am still unsure if I ought to just send the air outside or get a good filter and return it back. How long do those filters last? And can they be cleaned?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know if they are better than bags. I've seen bags down to .5 micron, not sure what the canisters handle. A quick google search will say but I don't care that much. I want to vent my DC to an outdoor separator which will make MERV and microns irrelevant.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wormil posted:

I don't know if they are better than bags. I've seen bags down to .5 micron, not sure what the canisters handle. A quick google search will say but I don't care that much. I want to vent my DC to an outdoor separator which will make MERV and microns irrelevant.

That's my ultimate goal as well (well, actually, just putting the DC unit itself outside, so I don't have to hear it.) But in the mean time, for the next few years, I'm probably going to need something better than the basic HF bag, since it's going to be running a lot of DC on the 4x4 cnc router I'm finishing up, and that's gonna be cutting lot of MDF, and gently caress MDF forever.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Is there a place that will rent me a FLIR camera for a weekend? I'd love to get one during a cold snap, but don't see myself using it more than a couple of times.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

PuTTY riot posted:

Is there a place that will rent me a FLIR camera for a weekend? I'd love to get one during a cold snap, but don't see myself using it more than a couple of times.

Home Depot, I think they quoted me $70 a day.

Think I started from http://www.flir.com/homedepot/

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 14, 2015

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You don't really need to wait for a cold snap, either. The recommendation I've seen is to have at least a 20 degree difference between the interior and exterior, which you can get even in mild weather by cranking the thermostat.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

uwaeve posted:

Home Depot, I think they quoted me $70 a day.

Think I started from http://www.flir.com/homedepot/

Owned by The South again. Thanks though, maybe the local rental place has them.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

You can buy an add-on laser for $20-30 that does an acceptable job. I've been using one professionally for a few years now, and just had the batteries die a month or two ago. It's only on the left side of the blade, but it's still really handy.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

I'd always planned to just vent outside, but finding a DC with a filter takes that project off the list for a while. Also moving 1500 or whatver CFM out of the shop could make it awfully chilly in the shop this time of year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah when it's -15C I kinda don't want to send my expensive heated air outside, but when it gets warmer I really couldn't care, so I am thinking of putting some kind of switch so I can direct the air out or back in via a filter.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

swampface posted:

I'd always planned to just vent outside, but finding a DC with a filter takes that project off the list for a while. Also moving 1500 or whatver CFM out of the shop could make it awfully chilly in the shop this time of year.

I've talked to several people who vent outside and all of them said they don't notice any temp loss. One of them is a retired engineer who has a long winded explanation but what I took away from it was that all the machines and materials hold the heat and what is lost through the air is insignificant.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

On the plus side, venting warm air and taking in cold air = dehumidification.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

One Legged Ninja posted:

You can buy an add-on laser for $20-30 that does an acceptable job. I've been using one professionally for a few years now, and just had the batteries die a month or two ago. It's only on the left side of the blade, but it's still really handy.
That's actually a good idea, but all of my online research is showing that DeWalt's add-on laser only fits specific models (and it looks like the DWS782 isn't among them). :suicide:

Unless there's an 3rd party alternative that I'm unaware of.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 15, 2015

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

I've talked to several people who vent outside and all of them said they don't notice any temp loss. One of them is a retired engineer who has a long winded explanation but what I took away from it was that all the machines and materials hold the heat and what is lost through the air is insignificant.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm still glad I can avoid doing it for now though!

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

Unless there's an 3rd party alternative that I'm unaware of.

This thing is what we use. It just replaces the washer that holds the blade on. It isn't dead on the cut line, but after a little practice you get used to lining up with the side of the pencil line instead of right on it. For framing and other rough stuff it's fine, and for anything that demands more precision, it only takes another second or two to line a tooth up. That one says unavailable, but I'm sure any of them work just as well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

swampface posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I'm still glad I can avoid doing it for now though!

I have been in that guys shop in the winter with the DC running and didn't notice any drop in temp but he does have a fair size shop. I don't heat my shop so in any case it wouldn't matter to me.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Lowes Canada is having "Buy One Get One Free" sale on some of their miter saws. I'm tempted to buy this Kobalt 10" miter saw because it comes with a miter saw stand.

Tell me why I shouldn't buy this. I plan on using the miter saw to cut baseboard moulding, do some laminate flooring, and eventually make furniture for my cats. Please help me with my indecision. :suicide:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 16, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

Lowes Canada is having "Buy One Get One Free" sale on some of their miter saws. I'm tempted to buy this Kobalt 10" miter saw because it comes with a miter saw stand.

Tell me why I shouldn't buy this. I plan on using the miter saw to cut baseboard moulding, do some laminate flooring, and eventually make furniture for my cats. Please help me with my indecision. :suicide:

Ha, I love how lopsided the Dewalt deal is .. buy a 10" jobsite saw and get a blade for free! While the Kobalt is buy one saw get another saw .. just funny.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I did consider that saw when I got my miter saw, it is $199 US and does not come with a free stand. The Ryobi I got from Home Depot was $199, so since they were the same price and value, I assumed it might be higher quality to go Ryobi instead of Kobalt mainly because Ryobi is not a store brand.

Looking at them closer, I see a few differences - The Kobalt has a handle at the back of the slider, the Ryobi does not (I want that feature!), the Kobalt has more substantial table extensions, the Ryobi ones are just loops of metal bar. From the picture, it also looks like you can lock the blade guard open on the Kobalt, I'm not sure if that is a useful feature but it might be nice to have. Also the slider mechanism on the Kobalt is either really complex or enclose, I am not sure if I like it or not. The biggest difference I can find between the Kobalt and Ryobi is weight, 36lbs for Kobalt, 44lbs for Ryobi. Lots more features and less weight for the same price as Ryobi could mean better engineering/value or lower quality, I will let you decide. . . But if Lowes had that same deal in the US I would do it. Actually, what I would really do is the table/miter saw because how often can you say that your BOGO was a miter saw?? And a 7 1/4" miter is probably useful enough, if it wasn't free I would still prefer at least a 10".

They are sure proud of Kobalt wrenches, I can buy a 22 piece metric/sae set from Harbor Freight for $20 (they can't screw up wrenches, right?) I went with a $12 Crescent 9-piece set from Menards.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Harbor freight wrenches are freaking awesome values and solid as a rock. I will arm wrestle anyone who says otherwise.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Ha, I love how lopsided the Dewalt deal is .. buy a 10" jobsite saw and get a blade for free! While the Kobalt is buy one saw get another saw .. just funny.
Yeah, it really is odd. I thought the exact same thing.

I think you're right. The table saw + miter saw is a pretty good deal. I realize that Kobalt isn't exactly top-notch quality, my understanding is that Lowe's return policy with Kobalt branded purchases is quite good. And if I ever need to cut larger wood in the future, I'll just buy/rent a proper 12" miter saw.

Thanks for helping me narrow things down. Pullin' the trigger on that deal. :homebrew:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 16, 2015

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

melon cat posted:

.. I realize that Kobalt isn't exactly top-notch quality, my understanding is that Lowe's return policy with Kobalt branded purchases is quite good.....

Kobalt is Lowes in house brand, so yes generally they will have a decent return policy, also make sense why they are doing the deal the way they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Crotch Fruit posted:

And a 7 1/4" miter is probably useful enough, if it wasn't free I would still prefer at least a 10".

My miter saw is a non-sliding 190mm and so far I've only once or twice needed to make a cut beyond its reach. It'll do compound cuts in what equates to a 2x4.
For general home improvement stuff and some hobby carpentry I've not needed a bigger saw. Besides for long cuts it's easy enough to DIY a track for a regular circular saw.