Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

there's a poster in here that bought soylent off kickstarter then fed it to their toddler. lmao

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

infernal machines posted:

the next 'trepaneur body hacking
trepanatr, drilling bluetooth enabled holes in your skull since 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

there's a poster in here that bought soylent off kickstarter then fed it to their toddler. lmao

good lord.

i hope someone called CPS on them. seriously.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Necc0 posted:

speaking of have the original vaxxers recanted or have they stuck to their guns? you'd think the resurgence of long-defeated diseases would be enough to convince anyone

jim carey said he only did it b/c of his (ex) wife so there's that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

holy loving poo poo.

i'm going to whitelabel some vanilla slimfast and pitch it as the next 'trepaneur body hacking powermeal that's disrupting the 3 squares a day market

i can even include some fda approved studies showing it to be 5x more effective at not killing you with stupid nutritional imbalances than soylent

my gf is a hospital dietitian and the whole idea that soylent is some cutting edge new product provides her with much mirth. there are so many nutritionally complete medical food products that their biggest problem normally involves trying to come up with ultra specialized use cases to sell their formulas. "oh this formula is for young adults recovering from 40-60% burn coverage" and such.

soylent's competition if they want to make money isn't McDonald's or frito lay but Abbott Labs. yet soylent isn't positioned to enter the medical market because that involves very strict regulations re: not killing you.

that said soylent is somehow better than the strange formulas that patients and parents of patents whip up by self educating themselves online.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I hate Sam Altman so loving much

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shifty Pony posted:

soylent's competition if they want to make money isn't McDonald's or frito lay but Abbott Labs. yet soylent isn't positioned to enter the medical market because that involves very strict regulations re: not killing you.
yeah, if i want to drink a white goopy mixture containing all of the day's calories and nutrients, i can just roll on over to the corner drugstore and buy a sixpack of ensure (est. 1973).

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
in the toddler-feeding guys defense, he was drinking some and his toddler came up and was like 'what's that?" and he's like "here have a taste" and that was that, it's not like he switched his toddler's diet full time to it.

allegedly.

also it wasn't me, i only have cats. whom i would never feed soylent.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Beast of Bourbon posted:

in the toddler-feeding guys defense, he was drinking some and his toddler came up and was like 'what's that?" and he's like "here have a taste" and that was that, it's not like he switched his toddler's diet full time to it.

yeah lemme give this non-inspected non-regulated "food" i bought off the loving internet to my kid

in any amount

right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shifty Pony posted:

"oh this formula is for young adults recovering from 40-60% burn coverage"

haha this reminds me of terrible drug commercials. "You know, Karen, I've been living with moderate to severe joint pain not related to arthritis too!"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

FMguru posted:

yeah, if i want to drink a white goopy mixture containing all of the day's calories and nutrients

text me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shifty Pony posted:

my gf is a hospital dietitian and the whole idea that soylent is some cutting edge new product provides her with much mirth. there are so many nutritionally complete medical food products that their biggest problem normally involves trying to come up with ultra specialized use cases to sell their formulas. "oh this formula is for young adults recovering from 40-60% burn coverage" and such.

that said soylent is somehow better than the strange formulas that patients and parents of patents whip up by self educating themselves online.

i guess what i don't understand re: vc investment in soylent is what value does this provably inferior product have?

it would take literally a single google search to find out about hundreds of better researched products that exist in exactly the same market space at an even lower pricepoint. how are these loving idiots investing money in something without doing so much due diligence as a lazy highschooler writing a book report.

there is literally no need or niche for soylent to fill that isn't already filled cheaper and more effectively by another product.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

also i don't see what niche soylent occupies that ensure doesn't, aside from the fact that one is marketed to dysfunctional manchildren who can't work a saucepan and the other is meant for invalids and folks with no teeth

lol type faster, me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i guess what i don't understand re: vc investment in soylent is what value does this provably inferior product have?

it would take literally a single google search to find out about hundreds of better researched products that exist in exactly the same market space at an even lower pricepoint. how are these loving idiots investing money in something without doing so much due diligence as a lazy highschooler's book report.

there is literally no need or niche for soylent to fill that isn't already filled cheaper and more effectively by another product.

DISRUPT

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

it would take literally a single google search to find out about hundreds of better researched products that exist in exactly the same market space at an even lower pricepoint. how are these loving idiots investing money in something without doing so much due diligence as a lazy highschooler's book report.

"One less excuse for your rockstar coders to stop working" is the unspoken capitalist endgame of Soylent.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

"One less excuse for your rockstar coders to stop working" is the unspoken capitalist endgame of Soylent.

yeah but even this could be done better and without killing anyone using an iv drip total parenteral nutrition solution.

just wire'em up and make sure they sleep eight hours of every 24. hook 'em to a catheter and they never have to move. you could stack them like cord wood.

and you still don't need soylent to do it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it would take literally a single google search to find out about hundreds of better researched products that exist in exactly the same market space at an even lower pricepoint. how are these loving idiots investing money in something without doing so much due diligence as a lazy highschooler writing a book report.

they backed an ultrasonic charging system which to reach promised charge rates would have to run at such a high volume it would most likely kill you if you were in the same room as it.

these are not smart people, just rich.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for some reason i always assume someone with that amount of money has a wealth manager/financial adviser that handles their finances for them.

the sort of person who would be tasked with looking at "investments" like this and saying wtf? lol no.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they could be smart people, they just toss a mil into everything because gently caress it who knows maybe that ultrasonic company will pivot into something that makes money and this was my one chance? or maybe they just toss a couple mil at every company that crosses their desk because gently caress it my times worth more than that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

for some reason i always assume someone with that amount of money has a wealth manager/financial adviser that handles their finances for them.

the sort of person who would be tasked with looking at "investments" like this and saying wtf? lol no.

who i really wonder about is the board, though i guess they could all be passive

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the promise of vc is big risk, big reward of course it seems kind of dumb to me because only people who are already rich can participate anyway but I'm one of those people who would unironically go "I've got enough" at some point

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

they could be smart people, they just toss a mil into everything because gently caress it who knows maybe that ultrasonic company will pivot into something that makes money and this was my one chance? or maybe they just toss a couple mil at every company that crosses their desk because gently caress it my times worth more than that

there was an article recently about how a vc took some money and invested half in what the flavor of the month was and half into what he seriously researched

they got about the same rate of return

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Shifty Pony posted:

Also have to compete against Nutriset. Granted, this is for malnutrition.

http://www.nutriset.fr/en/homepage-nutriset.html

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Burning Man’s Salesforce Administrator will oversee our Salesforce platform, systems that integrate with Salesforce, and data processes, policies and projects associated with the platform. This role performs system customizations and configurations while working closely with functional leaders and staff to supports new business processes. In order to enable ongoing adoption and use of the platform, this person will provide training, guidance and mentoring for new and power users of the systems. This person will lead a cross-team and multi-organization group of Salesforce power users and help grow a team of delegated function area administrators to provide governance of our shared data repository and related policies. This person will oversee vendor relationships and licensing for Salesforce and integrated products and apps.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
you can show your quantum-powered free-energy device to a hundred rich potential backers, and 97% of them will walk out saying "what a scam". that three of them are dumb enough to stick around and write you a check doesn't mean that rich people are particularly dumb or smart

also, this is what happens in bubble markets. tech is one of the few sectors showing some life, so a disproportionate amount of investment money is pouring into it. that money has to go somewhere (because no vc will ever say "we couldnt find anything viable to do with your money so were giving it back") so all kinds of terrible ideas are getting funded. theres a great yospos fable about a slice of bread and some pigeons - well we are at the part where huge flocks pigeons are flying in from across the country because they heard about all this free bread and are making GBS threads on everything in sight

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

there was also a good article from one of the women who did the "fly single women from NYC to Silicon Valley" dating thing. there was a party where a bunch of the backers were talking about how they knew it was dumb as hell but were backing it on the off chance that the guy running it then went on to do something better. in that case they would have connections that let them get in first round.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

what do you get when you give a bunch a manbabies a bunch of money and no consequences?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

qirex posted:

Burning Man’s Salesforce Administrator will oversee our Salesforce platform, systems that integrate with Salesforce, and data processes, policies and projects associated with the platform. This role performs system customizations and configurations while working closely with functional leaders and staff to supports new business processes. In order to enable ongoing adoption and use of the platform, this person will provide training, guidance and mentoring for new and power users of the systems. This person will lead a cross-team and multi-organization group of Salesforce power users and help grow a team of delegated function area administrators to provide governance of our shared data repository and related policies. This person will oversee vendor relationships and licensing for Salesforce and integrated products and apps.

nothing says radical self-expression and decommodification like forming an army of salesforce drones

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

what do you get when you give a bunch a manbabies a bunch of money and no consequences?

swap.avi

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

WIRED Ones:

I need a few minutes of your attention to talk about how we treat the workspace we’ll fully occupy on Jan. 5.

We made a big investment in the construction and design of the new floor — more than $3 million over 10 years — to create a home worthy of our ambitions and a place that’s fun to come to in the morning. There are zones to work together, and quiet spots for focused work. There are drawers for personal items, and tons of storage for our materials and technologies. I believe the new 3rd floor will give us every opportunity to do what we do best, which is create content that’s a source of surprise and delight to more than 45 million community members.

Unfortunately, too often the place where we do that important work looks, at best, like a dorm room.

It’s an embarrassment: coffee stains on walls (and countertops and desks), overflowing compost bins, abandoned drafts of stories and layouts (full of highly confidential content), day-old, half-eaten food, and, yes, I’m going to say it, action figures. Please. WIRED is no longer a pirate ship. It’s the home of world-changing journalism. It’s the West Coast home of Condé Nast. And it’s increasingly a place where we, and our New York colleagues and owners, host artists, founders, CEOs, and advertisers.

We all treasure our photos of loved ones. Mementos of personal accomplishment. I encourage you to proudly display a few small items at your desk because our workspace reflects who we are. It reflects our values. But how we treat our workplace is a manifestation of how seriously we take our work. When we stop caring for our shared spaces, we demonstrate a lack of respect for the space and for each other. When you leave stains on countertops, it’s disgusting for your colleagues and embarrassing for visitors.

When we take occupancy of the full floor, we’ll walk through the specifics. I think you’ll be delighted to see that we’ve engineered spaces that are designed to get messy, entire rooms for the implements of creative inspiration and expression. The common newsroom and community spaces are not those places.

We’re going to see a significant uptick in office visitors next year. Please make every effort to protect the sensitive information you are working on. Do not leave content of any sort on your desk at the end of the day. We have flat files, vertical files, and locking cabinets spread across the entire floor. Please use them. Secure your work.

Every day, publicists send us all a lot of promotional, er, uh … crap: books, tchotchkes, sales mailers. If there are DVDs or books you need to do your job, please do make use of them. But make sure the items you don’t need make their way off of horizontal surfaces and into the appropriate recycling or refuse containers at the end of the day, or simply take them home.

I love your custom-made/vintage/neon sign/one-of-a-kind lighting appliance. But it’s not right for the design of this new space. Please use the brand-new desk lamp we just purchased for you. And yes, we know there are areas that could use better overhead illumination. Our architects are working on it, I promise.

We went to great expense to purchase elevated laptop stands and monitor arms for all desks. Please do customize the setup to optimize your workspace. I want you to be comfortable and productive — we work long hours — but know that the elevated platform is for your laptop, not your phone.

Clean your dishes, and please remove the food from your dishes from the sink. Among many things, Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner is infamous for walking through the office handing out demerits and tongue lashings to people with messy desks strewn with half-eaten food, towers of music, and stacks of assorted crap. Martha Stewart once issued edicts about the three types of approved writing instruments allowed at the Omnimedia studios. I’m not going to do any of that — although my OCD can sometimes get the best of me — because I’m confident you’ll understand exactly what I’m saying here and clean it up, not just for me but for all of us.

Thank you,

Scott

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

WIRED is no longer a pirate ship. It’s the home of world-changing journalism.

lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ooooo 3 whole million on their new office! hahah that's like one room of this place

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the best part of soylent is that there's sites where you can share recipees for mixtures. then you just go to walmart and gnc to get the stuff

the most popular one is a GNC multivitamin pre-workout powder+some fancy grain powder. plus cacium/magnesium and if you're feeling fancy some fish oil :v:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

so most people are going to DIY with things that are pretty much already ensure powder

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if soylent takes off at all there's hundreds of supplement companies with existing supply chains and sales orgs who will beat it in the market and offer different flavors, high protein version, added caffeine, etc. and beat it on price

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

here is how you get into the food market without an existing foothold: you flush a big pile of money down the toilet, produce some inedible crap, sell it to two friends and then wait for kraft, walmart, the fda or gsk to take your house

the end

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

if soylent takes off at all there's hundreds of supplement companies with existing supply chains and sales orgs who will beat it in the market and offer different flavors, high protein version, added caffeine, etc. and beat it on price

but ~**~*~**~*~*~*~*~*disruption~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

market opportunities for soylent would either depend on a secret formula [lol oops] or high-end custom versions for rich fat people [but how is that not medifast then?]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it turns out being a first mover isn't much of an advantage when you painstakingly document your entire product development process on the web as you're doing it

• Locked thread