Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stringent posted:

how common is "bluegum" down there?

gently caress the south, seriously

"purple lip" cracks are more common tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

mainstream financial/business press are turning my yospos posts into stories

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-01-12/google-is-the-new-microsoft-and-that-should-freak-it-out
http://www.businessinsider.com/larry-page-nightmare-2015-1?op=1
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-google-is-slowing-2014-10

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

ok katie benner (formerly of the information) definitely reads yospos

quote:

The most valuable thing that the official moonshot incubator, Google X, has produced isn’t innovative products that will maintain Google’s search dominance. It’s good PR. It codified the idea that Google is always trying new stuff and failing because that’s what true, crazy, bountiful innovation looks like.

With the Google X mythology, Google has cover for all sorts of (sometimes expensive) failures, including the aforementioned smart glasses. It also has cover for failed products that could be more germane to the core business' success, like social networks (R.I.P. Google Plus and Google Buzz), payments (Google Wallet, in remembrance) and storage (wither Google Cloud Platform?).

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
but that would imply that anyone reads you are posts

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Boxturret posted:

but that would imply that anyone reads you are posts

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

jfc how long has chrome had my first name in the top right corner???
maybe year, if you mean new tab tab

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

google docs seem to constantly loose connection while i have internet and poo poo et. al. ???

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

protip: business insider isn't the actual press

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

qirex posted:

protip: business insider isn't the actual press

its the buzzfeed of people who pretend to watch bloomburg, but even that is a bit insulting to buzzfeed

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
buzfeed bought the old pick 'n save on vine street and made it into buzzfeed motion pictures

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kalstrams posted:

maybe year, if you mean new tab tab
he means the profile picker which hit mainstream chrome on the last update. disable it by doing chrome flags enable new profile management system > disable

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Blue Train posted:

you should not stay signed into google, you should also stop using gmail

use fastmail or be a sperg like me and buy a vps and set up postfix and dovecot

email janitoring... good god

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

remember when project aria was coming out within a year?

well now it's still coming out in about a year.

they say they are aiming for a 25% hit to performance and battery due to the modular design.

the modules will be held in by magnets. so who's the target market?

the poor. people who don't already have a cellphone. not nerds who want to put anemometers on it.

oh, and you can custom print modules with 3D printers, which i guess will also need to be abundant and cheap in loving nigeria now.

there is a pretentious dude you'll wanna punch in a vid at the bottom

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/14/7546841/google-project-ara-prototype-2015

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 14, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PleasureKevin posted:

well not it's still coming out in about a year.

they say they are aiming for a 25% hit to performance and battery due to the modular design.

the poor. people who don't already have a cellphone. not nerds who want to put anemometers on it.

oh, and you can custom print modules with 3D printers, which i guess will also need to be abundant and cheap in loving nigeria now.

there is a pretentious dude you'll wanna punch in a vid at the bottom

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/14/7546841/google-project-ara-prototype-2015

pandoroid

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

PleasureKevin posted:

drop your phone, spend 30 minutes collecting all the pieces

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PleasureKevin posted:

wow just in time to compete with the $39 bare-bones chinese anroid smartphones that are already flooding the developing world

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

"custom print your own modules with 3d printer" == you can replace one of the electronic modules with a functionless colored plastic cube if you want

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sagebrush posted:

"custom print your own modules with 3d printer" == you can replace a functionless colored plastic cube with a functionless differently-coloured colored plastic cube if you want

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

"custom print your own modules with 3d printer" == you can replace one of the electronic modules with a functionless colored plastic cube if you want
ultimate anroid endstate is in sight now guys

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Dolomite posted:

drop your phone, spend 30 minutes collecting all the pieces

just carry a really powerful electromagnet with you in case you drop ur phone :science:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
25% battery hit sounds like a lot .......

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intua_p4kE0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smythe posted:

I discovered that my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact has a mode called "Stamina" which disables mobile data whenever the screen is off. tried it out and it turns out to be fine for me because idgaf about instantaneous updates of the moment an email arrives (turn the screen on and after like 5 seconds it goes "plink" and all the updates appear). using this mode i got 3.5 days of usage without charging.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

just carry a pocketfull of spare battery modules and snap them in as required

or just plug two three or more battery modules into your phone in the first place

the possibilities are endless smythe

i think i am beginning to see the true power of anroid

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LastInLine posted:

he means the profile picker which hit mainstream chrome on the last update. disable it by doing chrome flags enable new profile management system > disable

:toot:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

you have to turn your phone on some time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

LastInLine posted:

nice the old profile switcher is way better

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i charge my iphone while i sleep. it's quite need suiting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PleasureKevin posted:

hmm yes, a modular design will definitely be cheaper than a single mass-produced one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

btw loving right click -> search with google is messed up for days now. it will do the search, then redirect to the same search with %0a appended if there's a linefeed in the search string, which breaks because a search for "whatever%0a" gives lovely results. gently caress!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

google have promised to upgrade their attention span so there is at least one revision of blocks you can upgrade to the year six months after you buy the backplane and the original components.

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

btw loving right click -> search with google is messed up for days now. it will do the search, then redirect to the same search with %0a appended if there's a linefeed in the search string, which breaks because a search for "whatever%0a" gives lovely results. gently caress!

bs

works for me doggie

haev you tried a vastly superior browser, such as Oprah? :smuggo:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

hmm yes, a modular design will definitely be cheaper than a single mass-produced one.
also, each cell phone will be made right in the store with 3d printers, this will be cheaper and more practical than mass production

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
a ecig mod android mod !!!!!!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-sees-self-drive-car-on-road-within-five-years-1421267677

quote:

Google Inc. threw the auto industry another curve ball Wednesday, saying its autonomous cars should be on public roads within five years without having to drive through a thicket of regulatory red tape.

Speaking at a conference in Detroit, the chief of the software giant’s autonomous-car project, Chris Urmson, indicated widespread auto industry concern about regulation of self-driving cars is overblown. The onus, he said, is on developers of these vehicles to tackle safety challenges and work to boost public acceptance.

“We don’t think there is a regulatory block,” Mr. Urmson said. Google is working with U.S. regulators on testing driverless cars and “the worst thing possibly we could do is surprise them.”

Google shed a spotlight on self-driving cars in 2009, when it began testing its own autonomous cars. The autonomous-car project is part of Google X, the innovations labs behind new and novel technology like Google Glass Web-connected eyewear.

Several auto makers, including Tesla Inc. and Daimler AG , have pointed to concerns about how regulators will view self-driving cars as one of the chief hurdles they face. On Tuesday, for instance, Tesla CEO Elon Musk told the same conference that a lack of clarity on the part of regulators could delay fully-autonomous vehicle introduction until at least 2022.

“We believe there are places in the U.S. where this is legal,” Mr. Urmson said, declining to elaborate further, such as how the cars are licensed.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration hasn't set firm rules on this segment of vehicles, although most car companies have them under development.

“Just like any car built for use on U.S. roads, any autonomous vehicle would need to meet applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards, which falls under NHTSA’s jurisdiction,” an agency spokesman said. “The agency will have the appropriate policies and regulations in place to ensure the safety of these types of vehicles.”

In addition to safety and public acceptance, Mr. Urmson said the expense of such vehicles is also an obstacle. The cluster of radars and lasers that sits above the car costs about $75,000 today, but that cost is likely to come down with higher production volumes.

Google has been knocking on doors among the more established auto industry players to find help making a driverless car on a larger scale. General Motors Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles are among the auto makers who say they have discussed the topic with Google.

“We’re definitely not in the business of making cars,” said Mr. Urmson, who says he typically rides his bicycle to work.

Google also has forged partnerships with auto suppliers like Continental AG and Robert Bosch GmbH to engineer prototypes. No matter how much work on sensors and other components the partners do, the cars won’t be completely crash proof, Mr. Urmson said.

“There will be failures of these vehicles,” he said. “We need to get to the point where we accept that.”

Mr. Urmson said Google isn’t interested in developing semiautonomous features. Rather, it wants to fully automate driving. Mr. Urmson said Google’s safety threshold is being developed internally. “We still have work to do,” he said.

I take his point, and frankly I doubt that automated systems could be much worse than human drivers (especially on highways), but I figure y'all will want to have at it, so yeah.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
maybe i'm wrong but wouldn't magnets gently caress with the phone's storage and memory?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the point he's making is good, because he's right that people will get hilariously up in arms the first time a driverless car crashes, even if under identical conditions they can prove that a human-operated car is 10 times more likely to get in an accident or something. that attitude is something that needs to be overcome before they become accepted.

it's also rapidly becoming moot because high end luxury cars today already have features that can drive themselves hundreds of miles without touching the controls. it seems likely to me that cars will just gradually become more and more autonomous until one day you realize you haven't done any more than back out of your driveway in weeks, and people won't really remember where it switched over.

that seems more likely than everyone suddenly deciding to sell their honda and pick up a google derp-car with no steering wheel, anyway.

tremendous lol at the "developers just need to fix these bugs, then it'll be safe" how's that's working out for you so far, google?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

maybe i'm wrong but wouldn't magnets gently caress with the phone's storage and memory?

no, flash memory and ram are not affected by magnetism. the only things in your phone that could theoretically be damaged by a magnetic field are the speaker and microphone, and those would take a much stronger field than these little rare-earths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

only at levels where the magnets would also be picking up metal chairs from across the room

• Locked thread