Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just got out of the ER. They think it's just the sciatic nerve and not a disc. Waiting on my shop to send me a list of approved doctors so I can make a follow-up ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HotCanadianChick posted:

Actually, it was something I'd heard a long, long, long time ago and have never looked up or read about since (that milk makes acid reflux worse). Looking it up now, it's not that the milk is acidic, it's that unless you're drinking skim milk, the fat in the milk causes an increase in stomach acid production (as will any fatty food). So if it's skim milk it probably won't make it worse.

So part of the statement I made is still correct (drinking milk when you have heartburn or acid reflux is probably not that good of an idea), but the underlying reason I believed that statement was incorrect. Can't remember where I heard the bit about milk being more acidic than citrus juice, it was somewhere in my childhood and I'd never seen or read anything to correct that mistaken belief until I looked it up just now.

e: I'm beginning to think I've found the reason why old people often make ridiculous/stupid claims: you hear something once in your childhood, never get corrected on it, and then 35 years later you're pretty sure you've heard it somewhere but can't quite remember where. The difference is unlike a lot of old farts, I'm not someone who's unwilling to change his position when presented with contrary evidence. I like to be corrected, as I hate inaccurate info as much as anyone.

Or you're just full of poo poo, don't know how to duck out, and would rather double down.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

goatse guy posted:

I tried out the Liquid Cocaine shots recipe that Leica posted a few pages back. That was a mistake and I think my phone needs a breathalyzer attached to it.
Aka Rich dead nazi? My brother has been making these after work for the last week. I usually chase mine with a of a gallon of water so I don't wake up with a murderous headache. For laughs, we did the math on how many bottles of goldschlagger it would take to accumulate an ounce of gold. Something like 87 grand at 39.99/bottle later..

Beach Bum posted:

North Florida/Panhandle. Good neighborhood too; my mother, her sister, and their parents all live on the same street as this place. I'm not sure about living that close to that much of my family but for that kind of money I'm not sure I care.

At the time I was looking for a home, I was living in my parents basement, and I was considering everywhere within an hour of the city but I actually ended up buying a house less than 2 city blocks away. My brother later purchased his own house and now lives within a 10 minute walk. If you can tolerate your family then it's not a bad arrangement.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I plan on building whateverthefuck I want.

I wanted a TIG machine, and while inverters are nice they aren't all that great in the lower price ranges. I asked around and found that a guy that frequents the same bar is a retired machinist and has all kinds of poo poo in a sea container that he's been sitting on for nearly 10 years now. He doesn't necessarily want to part with any of it, but if it's going to a good home he'll reluctantly sell it as he needs extra cash.

He sold me that tank for $700. It came with a foot pedal ($250), 100 ft or more of 1/0 wire between the ground and stick stinger (another $300 or ), a cart, regulators and a full argon tank (owned not leased). So at that price I basically got the welder for free.

Having an inverter, especially for aluminum (variable frequency and the ability to set clean/penetration) would be awesome, but there's been a lot of just about everything welded with these old beastly transformer machines so I figure I can get by just fine.

Hilarity specs: it weighs 500+ lbs (it's got a lifting eye on it and I had to hook it with the engine crane to get it off the truck into my garage) and has a max amp draw in the low 80s at 240v.

I have been eyeballing one of those inverter based tig machines myself. Again, im not in production, but it would be fun to gently caress around with. But I would rather save up my funds for a plasma cutter.

How much service do you have to your shop? I know most homes are around 200 amps, and a giant majority of sub panels are 100 amp. I know your new shop is set up well though.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

goatse guy posted:

I did.

I was still drunk when I woke up. I went pretty hard on the paint for a Tuesday night. I don't know why I can't save my ragers for weekends like normal people.

What do you mean, for normal alcohol enthusiasts that's every night :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

What do you mean, for normal alcohol enthusiasts that's every night :v:

Holy poo poo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Work has been really busy
http://youtu.be/vbwxzE3H6HE

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have been eyeballing one of those inverter based tig machines myself. Again, im not in production, but it would be fun to gently caress around with. But I would rather save up my funds for a plasma cutter.

How much service do you have to your shop? I know most homes are around 200 amps, and a giant majority of sub panels are 100 amp. I know your new shop is set up well though.

Get both :getin:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What kind of tig do you have?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What kind of tig do you have?

Miller Dynasty 200 DX. Honestly, a $1500 used Syncrowave 250 would do 90% of what I want (and have a higher duty/amps, but is not portable).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thats why I plan on saving up. Get a small Hobart now to satisfy any cravings to fart metal together then eventually get some nicer poo poo. I just can't justify the costs of high end stuff right now. Nice set up by the way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
pshhhhhh. All your silly little clean, light, new TIG welders.

Here's the same one I have, but much cleaner and less beat :v:

Pretty sure mine was made sometime in the 60s or 70s. Upwards of 300lbs easily.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Phone posted:

Or you're just full of poo poo, don't know how to duck out, and would rather double down.
:rolleyes:

http://www.healthline.com/health/gerd/beverages

quote:

Because regular cow’s milk contains a considerable amount of fat and is hard to digest, Rodriguez recommends drinking goat’s milk products instead. Like all high-fat foods, full-fat cow’s milk may relax the lower esophageal sphincter, which can cause reflux symptoms.

Opt for the lowest-fat options possible if you have to go with cow’s milk products. The McKinley Health Center at the University of Illinois includes skim milk as part of its recommended GERD diet. The UMMC notes that the protein contained in low-fat or skim dairy products may help strengthen muscles in the esophagus, which can help limit reflux symptoms.

Again, I had heard (somewhere in my childhood, so at least 25-30 years ago) drinking milk was bad for acid reflux, but the root cause of this that I had previously believed was incorrect (that milk was highly acidic, which obviously at a pH of 6.8 is untrue), and I admitted as such. It is good to know that some people define "admitting you made a mistake" as "doubling down", however.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Whole cow milk is delicious. I don't care if it kills me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I need a welder so bad :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yes you do. Making parts from scrap metal is loving awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Whole cow milk is delicious. I don't care if it kills me.

Since you're local: get thee to AJs. Or the dairy itself if you live way out west.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

I hear that. I looked into the local community college's offerings for welding and whatnot and you have to hit their whole loving program to get to the welding classes. Metallurgy 101 and the like. I'm sure that would be helpful and endlessly educational, but I really just want to find a welding class. My dad was a professional welder for years and he doesn't even own one.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
gently caress customers. Make an impact wrench faster, smoother, quieter, more powerful, and more reliable and the customer thinks it's not longer as powerful because it doesn't make their ears bleed and give them hand-arm vibration syndrome.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Same.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I hear that. I looked into the local community college's offerings for welding and whatnot and you have to hit their whole loving program to get to the welding classes. Metallurgy 101 and the like. I'm sure that would be helpful and endlessly educational, but I really just want to find a welding class. My dad was a professional welder for years and he doesn't even own one.

I was thinking about taking a class at our local JC because you can just do it either with or without a cert in mind.

keykey fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 14, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, I'd love to just take some basic classes on welding techniques. I've welded before, but I am by no means 'skilled' at it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Part of its a little bit of book reading but from what every one says its just practice practice practice.

I have never mig welded before, but I could do decent with a stick, and from what I have been told, if you can do stick, mig is a breeze.

kastein posted:

God drat, thats bad rear end. I had a Forney welder, but was stolen along with a bunch of stuff back in 2005, and I just have been rebuilding my tool supply steadily ever since.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Part of its a little bit of book reading but from what every one says its just practice practice practice.

yes. Don't weld on zinc poo poo either.

Hey you. Come buy this LS powered piece of poo poo rover.

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/4832166629.html

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well, if it was about 1500 cheaper it wouldn't be a bad idea.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
about 3000 cheaper I'd go drag it home. till then he can piss up a rope.

bet I know which case that thing has too. :can:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

about 3000 cheaper I'd go drag it home. till then he can piss up a rope.

bet I know which case that thing has too. :can:

Oh wait... its that piece of poo poo? Pass.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh wait... its that piece of poo poo? Pass.

well yeah. Only way you'd crack a LT230 is drop it on rocks. There are guys running LQ9s in front of em without harm.
The bergwerner? LOLOLOLOL I can split one of of those looking at it funny.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

There's something like that here in North Texas, but the only location is almost an hour away. Oh, and they closed in June, according to the website, supposedly to reopen some time. Oh, well.

There's one in Denton.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HotCanadianChick posted:

:rolleyes:

http://www.healthline.com/health/gerd/beverages

Again, I had heard (somewhere in my childhood, so at least 25-30 years ago) drinking milk was bad for acid reflux, but the root cause of this that I had previously believed was incorrect (that milk was highly acidic, which obviously at a pH of 6.8 is untrue), and I admitted as such. It is good to know that some people define "admitting you made a mistake" as "doubling down", however.

Again, let me make a million excuses and try to save face.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo.

What?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I don't get it either.

Wish I had a welder so I wasn't sleeping on a busted bed frame held up by bricks. (Yes I'm a fatty, but the bed is about 20 yrs old)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

goatse guy posted:

I did.

I was still drunk when I woke up. I went pretty hard on the paint for a Tuesday night. I don't know why I can't save my ragers for weekends like normal people.

Because why feel like dogshit on your own time?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Welder Chat: Bought this last spring I think, haven't used it as much as I planned but drat it's nice to have when I need it.

wow lovely phone pic ahoy

Found a small local shop just down the road from my house to turn down the wheels hubs to fit the new rotors, less than 5 minutes from my house. Have a feeling I'll be using him for stuff I don't feel like attempting in the future.

Got that drat swaybar mounted, what a pain in the rear end.

poo poo just realized VW must have used different rear brakes on the MK4 golfs. Ordered a set and they aren't even close to the right shape. VAG:argh:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 15, 2015

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Welders are pretty much the greatest. Besides all of the bodywork I've done with my tiny Lincoln MIG it's also pretty capable for bigger stuff; like for when I got bored and made a computer desk out of some stuff I had lying around:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Since you're local: get thee to AJs. Or the dairy itself if you live way out west.

:stare:

Oh my god why did I not know about this? Buying this tonight. Post haste.

Edit: Is that rootbeer milk?!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat I've had good luck lately with craigslist, just sold a bunch of poo poo for the asking prices with no haggling, and just picked up a set of Yakima towers, crossbars and cargo carrier for $130 in like new condition because I ended up knowing the guy that was selling it! Now all I need is a hitch and hitch mount bike rack and the Camry is ready for camping hells yeah gently caress SUV's.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Welders are pretty much the greatest. Besides all of the bodywork I've done with my tiny Lincoln MIG it's also pretty capable for bigger stuff; like for when I got bored and made a computer desk out of some stuff I had lying around:

Christ that thing looks like it could withstand a cartoon style 1ton weight being dropped on in from orbit. Solid.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MonkeyNutZ posted:

drat, I like this desk. Nice work sir.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That is one bad rear end desk. I need to make something like this once I organize the garage for a work table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I keep on telling myself I'm going to make a desk that I don't have to hunch over one of these days. 6'4" makes workplace ergonomics a hoot.

Once when I had an office space and a nice desk, I had the whole thing up on 4x4 blocks and it was amazing.

• Locked thread