Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This is really weird but I follow a couple ~Disney People~ (fans mostly, no big time people per say) on Twitter and a lot of the their time is spent complaining how Disney World isn't the same it used to be or something. How they won't renew annual passes or something.

It's weird because half the time they get into these tirades of how Disney was better in the 80's or something. How they wish they could have been older around that time to experience it.

Whatever.

Just wanted to type this out for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It definitely has changed. The park, the cast members the people who visit but it can't remain the same forever.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
FWIW, me & the missus have been going to WDW regularly since 1999, and I've been following the message boards and fansites that whole time. Everyone has always complained about the current state of the parks. It was so much better when waaa waaa waaaaa. Everything sucks now waaaa. That's why people call annual passholders "Passholes."

The only real complaint I have ever had about the direction of any of the parks is Futureworld at Epcot, and that's the most inherently problematic park at Disney World. Animal Kingdom is a completely different (bigger, better) park now than it was the first time we went. Hollywood Studios is about to undergo a California Adventure-scale gut job. MK is always being improved and updated, and I don't even know how much New Fantasyland cost. They're pretty much always undertaking some sort of large-scale addition or improvement.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

the_worm_ posted:

Wait, wait, wait. They are doing Marvel meet and greets at a Disney park? Which one?

Edit: It's got to be DisneyLand

Yeah Disneyland. In Innoventions. It's still in the post Dark World, Winter Solider, IM3 world. So when you mention Phil Coulson, Cap gets all sad about his death

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

There was a good 20 year gap where I didn't go to Disney. When I went at the end of that gap it definitely was different than how I remembered it. That's not necessarily bad, though. I find that most people just really, really, really hate change. There are people right now swearing they'll never go to Disney again because Disney removed the waterfall from the Poly lobby. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm kind of sad about it, but I'm not going to gnash my teeth in anguish over it like some of these people are.

Basically, Disboarders are the most vocal faction of people who bitch about Disney. Nothing Disney ever does is right for those people. If they never did anything new, they'd complain that it was stale. When they change something, those people bitch that Disney is screwing everything up. Damned if you do.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I see things I don't like but Disney is Disney and they're gonna do it and you're gonna like the end result or you can just go do one of the other 198235723802934 things to do that will also drain your wallet and you will not care at all by the time you're done with those things that there's like 10 things that you think are stupid.

That is how Disney works. v0v

My things are more ride oriented and for right now god drat there is just so much frozen poo poo it's exhausting. I'm not even there. I just follow along with the news.. But it seems like every other month they roll out some other frozen themed major event and that's just too much even for a super successful film. That and them gutting DHS so hard all at once. California Adventure is a weak park as it is. Epcot's already in kinda meh shape. Don't beat up DHS too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Marty Sklar, one of the original Imagineers, and the dude who supervised all of EPCOT Center has a great quote that sums up my feelings on it. It's pretty blunt to.

"They aren't museums."

That along with Walt's "Disneyland will never be finished as long as there is imagination in the world" quote makes me think that change is something that is not only good, but should be encouraged.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
So if I told you that the sorcerer Mickey hat was being torn down and the Chinese Theater facade is going to be refreshed so it looks like the Frozen castle you would *insert here*...

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That along with Walt's "Disneyland will never be finished as long as there is imagination in the world" quote makes me think that change is something that is not only good, but should be encouraged.

So long as it's not Frozen.

That day you met me I had been taking every opportunity to say silly things like "Omg Olaf melted in front of the castle a few minutes ago!" or other cute sayings whenever there were princesses around. I was kicked twice by my wife.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 13, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

demonR6 posted:

So if I told you that the sorcerer Mickey hat was being torn down and the Chinese Theater facade is going to be refreshed so it looks like the Frozen castle you would *insert here*...

I'd be like "Hmm alright" cause I hate the great movie ride :v:

In all seriousness though, I'd be more sad about losing the hand prints on the ground than the theater. I saw the Robin Williams one there and was like :smith:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They aren't doing that by the way.. I think it would be a peasant revolt if they every announced even a rumor of doing that.

With the remodel of the soundstage where American Idol was at I am worried about where t handprints will end up.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If they did that I'd probably thud my head into my bed and sigh about it . Unless it was a non permanent thing.

Just man, frozen's a fine movie and all but it doesn't all have to be frozen.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

A whole Arendelle pavilion, guys. I know y'all are into that sort of thing.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

A whole Arendelle pavilion, guys. I know y'all are into that sort of thing.

Uh, that's not true. The plans are yes, but the pavilion is still going to be Norway. Stitch Kingdom is awful at reporting poo poo. Just terrible.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yeah, I figured. I don't normally frequent the rumor sites, I just wanted to stir the pot.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I vomited a little inside when I thought of a fake country being built, more so Arendelle and Frozen because you know.

Fake edit: Illegal immigrants from the Mexico pavilion would most certainly cross the border and before you know it Arendelle would be dealing with drugs and gang violence.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

demonR6 posted:

I vomited a little inside when I thought of a fake country being built, more so Arendelle and Frozen because you know.

Oh man, I thought I was the only person who vomited from excitement!! Good to know other people suffer that affliction as well.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
We are heading down to Disney World on the 28th and I'm getting nervous about the weather. It's been complete poo poo here in southern Georgia so I hope all this cold mist and rain goes away.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

LoG posted:

We are heading down to Disney World on the 28th and I'm getting nervous about the weather. It's been complete poo poo here in southern Georgia so I hope all this cold mist and rain goes away.

The mist and rain never go away in central florida. That said cold and moist never bothered me much at WDW. They provide enough cover and temperature control that getting a bit wet and cold when you're making your way between point A and point B is never a really big deal. And of course it never gets real actual cold down there. Buy a poncho before you go just in case. The ones at WDW are probably 25 dollars by now.

My favorite trip to WDW was during November when a hurricane was slowly but surely making its way there. It was in the 50s and 60s and NOBODY was there it was amazing. And occasionally one of the frontal pressure waves of the system would coast through and dump sheets of water but honestly that just added to the adventure of gaggling our way through the dead-empty parks like a group of excited gradeschoolers. WDW is definitely best when you have it all to yourself.

That appreciation for emptiness lasted through my CP stint as well. I loved working private functions and late night events because without any other management but the ones I personally knew around I always felt all, "AHAHAHHAHA MY DOMINION!" like a mad carnie king.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Yeah, we will definitely pack the ponchos and shower curtains for the stroller. Hopefully the crowds won't be bad, apparently that last week of January is supposed to be dead.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

LoG posted:

Yeah, we will definitely pack the ponchos and shower curtains for the stroller. Hopefully the crowds won't be bad, apparently that last week of January is supposed to be dead.

Yes, if my memory serves from the end of christmas season and the first to the beginning of spring break is the deadest time of the year generally.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Still can't get a drat reservation for Be Our Guest tho :( The wife loves it, I'm pretty ambivalent about it. Been trying for the last couple of months.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're headed to WDW in 6 weeks hoping for light crowds and good weather :)

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

LoG posted:

Still can't get a drat reservation for Be Our Guest tho :( The wife loves it, I'm pretty ambivalent about it. Been trying for the last couple of months.

You couldn't even get the lunch Fastpass?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Edit: we are doing some character dining thing for lunch the day we are at Magic Kingdom.

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 14, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It seems like all we're going to do when we go to WDW is eat.

Fri - Ohana
Sat - BoG
Sun - 1900 Park Fare
Monday - T-Rex cafe (lunch)
Tues - Akershus (bfast)
Tues - Chef Mickey
Wed - Tusker House (bfast)
Wed - Biergarten
Thur - Hollywood and Vine (bfast)

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I'm sad to not see Le Cellier on your list, but that's a pretty great setup :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I really wanted to go there, but my kids are 5 and 3 so we're trying to maximize character dining as much as possible. We have Monday night free, and Granny is coming with us, might try to squeeze something in there with just me and the Mrs. maybe.

edit: How much parental stress is normal before going to Disney? I've never been, but my kids have negative attention spans. I can barely keep the 3 year old in line for 2 minutes at the Carousel at a local amusement park, I have no faith in my ability to keep him in line for more than 10 minutes at any point of the trip. The 5 year old is a future diva in training... We're going for them to have a great time but I can't shake this feeling that I've just spent over 7 grand to be miserable and stressed out for 8 days/7 nights...

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 15, 2015

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Quite a few rides like Winnie the Pooh have interactive lines with little activities to do while you wait. My son tried to eat the led honey wall, that was fun.

Edit: don't stress anything. It's the happiest place on earth.

Edit2: hell the Dumbo ride has a whole mini carnival area you play in while waiting.

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 15, 2015

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Try to make the most of FPs and interactive queues. Bring snacks. Maybe some little toys to play with while you stand in line. Sedatives?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

Try to make the most of FPs and interactive queues. Bring snacks. Maybe some little toys to play with while you stand in line. Sedatives?

Tiny, tiny dildos for your billfold so disney isn't the only thing loving it.

E: (I say that with all the love in my heart)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

LoG posted:

Quite a few rides like Winnie the Pooh have interactive lines with little activities to do while you wait. My son tried to eat the led honey wall, that was fun.

Edit: don't stress anything. It's the happiest place on earth.

Edit2: hell the Dumbo ride has a whole mini carnival area you play in while waiting.

Interactive Queues are going to become the standard it seems. Mine Train opened with one and they are becoming more popular. I think Splash Mountain might be getting one too, but that's speculation.

I love showing off the Pooh queue, just because it's really cute and fun. Except the drums. Goddamn drums.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Interactive Queues are going to become the standard it seems. Mine Train opened with one and they are becoming more popular. I think Splash Mountain might be getting one too, but that's speculation.

I love showing off the Pooh queue, just because it's really cute and fun. Except the drums. Goddamn drums.

Splash Mountain has been rumored to get a interactive line for a while now. I remember hearing it all the time. Same goes with a camera part in Thunder Mountain and a proper gift shop at Thunder also.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Splash Mountain has been rumored to get a interactive line for a while now. I remember hearing it all the time. Same goes with a camera part in Thunder Mountain and a proper gift shop at Thunder also.

Thunder is going down for refurb in a bit for like...a week, so thats possible. I want them to get the final lift hill effects from Disneyland, but it's unlikely. :(

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

...That and them gutting DHS so hard all at once. California Adventure is a weak park as it is. Epcot's already in kinda meh shape. Don't beat up DHS too.

I haven't been keeping up with Disney Park news all that much, mind bringing me up to speed?

I remember back when I did, there were rumors that Hollywood was going to be revamped with an expanded Star Wars section, possibly a Marvel themed section, and some hope with an equally expanded Pixar section. I also remember hearing about the hat coming down and maybe being repositioned at the exit into the park (It would certainly work driving back, seeing that thing lightened up).

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Disney Park news all that much, mind bringing me up to speed?

I remember back when I did, there were rumors that Hollywood was going to be revamped with an expanded Star Wars section, possibly a Marvel themed section, and some hope with an equally expanded Pixar section. I also remember hearing about the hat coming down and maybe being repositioned at the exit into the park (It would certainly work driving back, seeing that thing lightened up).

Star Wars getting new stuff is a certainty, it's just a matter of when. Disney wants to have new Star Wars stuff be synergistic with the new movies coming out. The first new addition to Star Wars in the parks will be an update of the new Star Tours featuring segments that are inspired by The Force Awakens.

You won't see Marvel stuff on this coast unless a lot of money changes hands. Universal has the rights to Marvel on this side of the Missisipi and they enforce it pretty hardcore. Marvel almost sued Disney for the Avengers paint job they did on a monorail, so Disney had to ensure that the monorail train in question would only be on a loop that would never enter a park. A small possiblity is this: The contract is nearing it's end for Universal, and now they have to go to Disney to renew it. Disney is going to jack the price up, for sure, so Universal may balk and give Marvel back to them, and potentially convert the Superhero Island area of Islands into another comic book company (wild rumor time: Universal may try and get the Orlando rights to the DC comics, since we have no Six Flags here)

The Hat could be put somewhere else (I do think the exit/entrance plaza before the ticket booths and bag check would be a great place for it) but it's likely just going away.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
From today's construction it looks like instead of being disassembled they've been cutting it down. I doubt it's going to be reconstructed.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
And from WDWNT.com, here's more on the Anna and Elsa meet-and-greet addition to Epcot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Magic Band whores rejoice!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/01/new-retail-magicbands-and-accessories-to-kick-off-2015-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

I'll be taking orders soon. ;)