Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DoctorWhat posted:

I could still REALLY use some help.

OKAY I FOUND A FIX.

This requires comfort with using the Task Scheduler. We will be creating a .vbs file, a .bat file, and a Windows Task.

First, create a .bat file (here called "keyboardfix.bat") containing the following code:

code:
echo off
echo Fixing keyboard repeat rate
mode con: rate=31 delay=1
timeout 2
In the above code, "rate" equals the repeat rate, and "delay" sets the initial delay before the repeating starts; see the below image for a guide to setting your own variables.

I suggest placing keyboardfix.bat near to the root of your OS drive/volume. I've placed it at "C:\Fixes\keyboardfix.bat".

Next, we create a .vbs file that calls keyboardfix.bat. This allows us to prevent the CMD window from opening up whenever keyboardfix.bat is called. We'll call this .vbs file "callkeyboardfix.vbs", and it's as simple to create as a .bat; just create a new .txt file, edit the contents in Notepad, and rename it afterwards.

callkeyboardfix.vbs should contain the following code:

code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell" )
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\Fixes\keyboardfix.bat" & Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing
Of course, you can change the filepath that the .vbs calls depending on where you choose to place the .bat. I'd also recommend placing the .vbs in the same "Fixes" folder, for easy reference.

Next, we open up the Task Scheduler:

• Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools > Task Scheduler
  • Create Task. Name: "Keyboard Repeat Fix" Description: "Fixes Y50 keyboard repeat issue when woken from sleep."
  • Triggers Tab > New > Begin the task: Set "On workstation unlock" to "Any user".
  • Triggers Tab > New > Begin the task: Set "At log on" to "Any user".
  • Actions Tab > Start a program > Browse > select the callkeyboardfix.vbs file (make sure you saved it all properly).
  • Conditions Tab > Uncheck "Start the Task only if computer is on AC Power".
  • Conditions Tab > Uncheck "Start only if the following network connection is available:".
  • General Tab > Select "Run whether user is logged in or not".
  • General Tab > Select "Run with highest privileges".
  • General Tab > Configure for: "Windows 8.1" (if applicable).
  • General Tab > Select Ok, and enter your administrative password, to create the task.

And voila! You'll never have to manually fix the keyboard repeat-rate on your Y50 again!

The Iron Rose, you may benefit greatly from this!

So I'm bookmarking this because that's legit good info. Seriously thanks for the work.

Problem is I have no idea what it's fixing :v:

I never noticed a problem on my machine, but it's entirely possible I'm just oblivious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Iron Rose posted:

So I'm bookmarking this because that's legit good info. Seriously thanks for the work.

Problem is I have no idea what it's fixing :v:

I never noticed a problem on my machine, but it's entirely possible I'm just oblivious.

Basically, in Windows, the keyboard-controller hardware itself is expected to keep track of how often to send repeat key-presses when a key is held down; it's NOT a process the OS handles.

The keyboard-controller gets sent the configuration at power-on (and whenever the settings are altered, i.e. by the "Keyboard" option in the Control Panel) and is expected to retain that configuration until the system totally shuts down.

Some (most?) y50 keyboards, however, for ~whatever reason~, don't properly retain that configuration when the machine goes to sleep. So whenever the machine wakes from sleep, the "key repeat rate" re-initializes to a painfully low value, regardless of what you have set in the Windows control panel. That means back-spacing and arrow key-based text navigation slows to a crawl, and using the arrow keys to scroll through webpages and/or documents becomes slow and choppy. The only way to set the repeat-rate back to your actual preferences is to go into the Control Panel and change the settings back, and that's only a temporary solution.

The above method makes that quick-fix automatic every time the y50 wakes from sleep. It doesn't fix the underlying issue with how the keyboard-controller retains (or, rather, fails to retain) the repeat-rate, but it does prod the keyboard-controller with the correct configuration, thereby Fixing Its poo poo before the user runs into any problems. It's a quick-fix, which is just a polite way of saying "a kludge-y hack that gets the job done", but it's a huge quality-of-life improvement.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 12, 2015

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
I've never even considered increasing the speed with which my cursor could move through a line in a text document. That sounds pretty nice. I don't really care about webpage scroll speed though; for any page that arrows scroll too slow, I just use Page Up and Page Down. Though I can see why someone, especially a power user, would want to tweak that setting.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Basch lives. posted:

I've never even considered increasing the speed with which my cursor could move through a line in a text document. That sounds pretty nice. I don't really care about webpage scroll speed though; for any page that arrows scroll too slow, I just use Page Up and Page Down. Though I can see why someone, especially a power user, would want to tweak that setting.

If you do a lot of text editing you should crank it up as fast as possible. Once you get used to it you'll be more productive.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DNK posted:

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that Skylake is coming out in the second half of 2015 and will absolutely crush everything before it.

Q4 2015 will have some fuckin sick laptops on the market. If you can manage to contain your electronics lust,

Yeah Skylake is the generation I plan on buying my first Apple laptop in 14 years since 2001 (and promptly load Windows 10 on it). Looking forward to buying a Skylake-powered i7-equivalent 11 or 13" Macbook Air Retina.

Copper Vein posted:

I feel like what I really want to do is remote access my real PC from a laptop that I can move around my home and sit on my lap when I'm on a couch or in bed. Like 10 years ago a good friend of mine was all always using his PC from his macbook, so surely I can do the same thing now over improved Wifi, right?

How well a laptop performs on its own in the rare case I take it out with me is not important, and I'll always use a wireless trackball with it.

My general workflow on my work from home days is desktop -> remote desktop on laptop (has VPN access setup) -> remote desktop on work desktop -> remote desktop on VM terminal server that our group shares for administrative tasks like remoting in to additional windows servers. That's 4 deep on remote desktoping.

I'm getting ready to setup a VM with the VPN connection so I can access it from any machine on my network via RDP or VPN in to my home network from abroad and access the corporate VPN from there (corporate VPN blacklists most countries that aren't Western Europe, and some that are, like the netherlands).

For general desktop applications it works fine, for web browsing without flash video or audio it works fine. Modern Remote Desktop (RDP) is pretty amazing stuff especially over a LAN with unlimited bandwidth.

The only issue I've run in to is my steam chat windows, if you have font smoothing turned off (it speeds up RDP tremendously for some reason), most apps will recover and turn back on font smoothing, but the font in steam chat windows loses font smoothing and looks like windows 98 fonts and won't turn back on. I think this is due to the cross platform system Steam is built on top of.

Obviously you're going to want to limit your gaming over RDP to things like solitare or the dosbox version of monkey island.

Gaming over steam streaming is amazing even on an older HD4000 GPU and wifi so long as you're not playing a twitch shooter like counter-strike. Just Cause 2 and Need For Speed stream great.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Hadlock posted:

Remote Desktop Stuff

Sounds like I'd loving hate it.

I've already got an Ergotron monitor arm. Think I'm just gonna mount that thing on some sand-filled PVC and carpet sliders and buy some more long-rear end cables from Amazon.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there a tablet megathread or some such? Just looking for the best bang for the buck tablet that can do some web browsing, run adobe applications, and maybe watch some movies or something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah there's a Nexus 7 thread called "Android Tablet Thread: 24/7 Nexus 7 case chat", the TL;DR is buy a Nexus 7 don't even bother looking at anything else.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Etrips posted:

Is there a tablet megathread or some such? Just looking for the best bang for the buck tablet that can do some web browsing, run adobe applications, and maybe watch some movies or something.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=192

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I feel paralyzed by choice because specs for my budget seem quite similar across all manufacturers but I don't want to drop £350 until I'm totally sure. Is there any specific thing I should absolutely avoid? Like I dunno a certain maker or chip-set that has known huge problems? The op says avoid ACER but ASUS is alright, is that still true? Otherwise gently caress it I'm just going to go to PCWorld and get something nice that covers my checklist and has a warranty.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 13, 2015

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just as expected I was happy to see lenovo announce the x250. But with Skylake just around the corner is it even likely that lenovo will either announce an x260 or and update the x250 in the coming months? I could ride out my little x121e a little bit longer.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Ended up pulling the trigger on the 16 gig Y50 with the 4 gig GTX 860M. I figure that should last me a good 2-3 years the way I use them, and that screen swap is always an option if I don't like the TN panel... I've had to do it before for my current laptop when some dickhead cracked the screen on the bus.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dell Outlet just sent out a 35% off sale.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

The Dave posted:

Dell Outlet just sent out a 35% off sale.

Is this something you get via email?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah, but I believe if you just go to their website they have a page that shows all of their available coupons.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
500 gig 850 EVO is on sale for $230 at Newegg for the next day and a half.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Etrips posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575393&perpage=40&pagenumber=82
But seriously get an Android tablet or iPad, unless you're springing the big bucks for a Surface.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

My old netbook finally died, I'm looking for a replacement but I don't see any info in the thread on tiny budget laptops. I'm looking for the closest thing possible to a netbook: integrated keyboard (no tablets), Windows OS or Windows capable (no chromebooks), under 12" screensize (no fullsize laptops), and under $300 (no ultrabooks).

Right now I'm leaning towards the Acer Aspire V5-131-2497. It juuuust meets my needs, and has a few things that stand out, like the HDD and 3 USB slots. I modded my Aspire One to hell and back, but even a dog like this will be a big improvement, and even has a little room for upgrades or messing around inside the case.

Is there anything major I'm overlooking, or is this about as good a turd as I'm gonna get, given my criteria?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Syd Midnight posted:

My old netbook finally died, I'm looking for a replacement but I don't see any info in the thread on tiny budget laptops. I'm looking for the closest thing possible to a netbook: integrated keyboard (no tablets), Windows OS or Windows capable (no chromebooks), under 12" screensize (no fullsize laptops), and under $300 (no ultrabooks).

Right now I'm leaning towards the Acer Aspire V5-131-2497. It juuuust meets my needs, and has a few things that stand out, like the HDD and 3 USB slots. I modded my Aspire One to hell and back, but even a dog like this will be a big improvement, and even has a little room for upgrades or messing around inside the case.

Is there anything major I'm overlooking, or is this about as good a turd as I'm gonna get, given my criteria?

Whatever you get (unless it's from Apple), rip out the original spinning hard drive and replace it with a Samsung 840/850 EVO

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Syd Midnight posted:

Right now I'm leaning towards the Acer Aspire V5-131-2497. It juuuust meets my needs, and has a few things that stand out, like the HDD and 3 USB slots.

I wandered in to the Microsoft Store and they had an insanely priced $179 Asus X205 which is basically an intel based chromebook with Windows 8.1 running on a 32GB SSD/eMMC (same thing) with about 20GB of free hard drive space. They go for about $200 on Amazon but I was rather impressed with the quality given it's under $200 and runs a legit x86 version of Windows 8.1 Trackpad was pretty decent too. Only 2GB RAM but hey it's a $200 windows laptop that's not atrocious build quality. It looked more slate gray than purple to me, but maybe that's just the lighting.

32GB may be too small for many people though but it has an SD card so you can easily bulk up to 32 gb + 128 gb sd for a few bucks more

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I wandered in to the Microsoft Store and they had an insanely priced $179 Asus X205 which is basically an intel based chromebook with Windows 8.1 running on a 32GB SSD/eMMC (same thing) with about 20GB of free hard drive space.

Thanks. That's almost perfect. 2 usb ports is cutting it close, and a 32gb boot drive is pretty cramped. Cant beat the price though. That would indeed seem to be the modern equivalent of the cheap windows netbook.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

wooger posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575393&perpage=40&pagenumber=82
But seriously get an Android tablet or iPad, unless you're springing the big bucks for a Surface.

Thanks, can't believe I didn't check that sub.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

blowfish posted:

Whatever you get (unless it's from Apple), rip out the original spinning hard drive and replace it with a Samsung 840/850 EVO

Ultrabooks are hard to swap things around with, right? If you were to get an ultrabook, would it be better to just buy an external SSD?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't see any point in an external SSD - you won't get full speed off it, cant practically install the OS there and you ruin the entire appeal of the ultra book (portability)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

10 Beers posted:

Ultrabooks are hard to swap things around with, right? If you were to get an ultrabook, would it be better to just buy an external SSD?

An external SSD is pointless, since it's going to be a grave for bulk data for which a cheap 5400rpm spinning HD is usually more than enough. The point is to put wandows windows and the most commonly used applications on it so the computer starts up really fast, is really snappy to use, doesn't break as easily, and lasts a bit longer on battery power.

It's worth checking out whether you can change the hard drives in your laptop with reasonably low effort, which is true for Lenovo (all thinkpads, I'm not sure if there's exceptions in their budget craptop lines), Dell, and anything that has an externally visible hard drive slot cover (though you may technically void your warranty in some cases). Only go with manufacturer-provided SSDs if you absolutely can't replace the hard drive with your own SSD, since the latter is going to be way cheaper and gives you a free spinning hard drive to bury data on.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

blowfish posted:

An external SSD is pointless, since it's going to be a grave for bulk data for which a cheap 5400rpm spinning HD is usually more than enough. The point is to put wandows windows and the most commonly used applications on it so the computer starts up really fast, is really snappy to use, doesn't break as easily, and lasts a bit longer on battery power.

It's worth checking out whether you can change the hard drives in your laptop with reasonably low effort, which is true for Lenovo (all thinkpads, I'm not sure if there's exceptions in their budget craptop lines), Dell, and anything that has an externally visible hard drive slot cover (though you may technically void your warranty in some cases). Only go with manufacturer-provided SSDs if you absolutely can't replace the hard drive with your own SSD, since the latter is going to be way cheaper and gives you a free spinning hard drive to bury data on.

How about Asus? Thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KTHGRIS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1421236718&sr=8-1&dpPl=1&dpID=41qFrS3revL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

I know there's some involved stuff with putting Windows on the hard drive and all that, but I figure there's probably a ton of videos out there.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 14, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

10 Beers posted:

How about Asus? Thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KTHGRIS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1421236718&sr=8-1&dpPl=1&dpID=41qFrS3revL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

I know there's some involved stuff with putting Windows on the hard drive and all that, but I figure there's probably a ton of videos out there.

That Asus laptop already has an SSD as well as a reasonable amount of RAM and a good resolution screen. 128GB is not great, but it works since you probably won't be installing giant games on it. I think Asus Zenbooks have reasonable build quality so it's fine.

Installing windows 7 or windows 8.1 is really loving easy, literally follow the instructions on the screen and click buttons-easy. The only thing that you may need to do is set the boot device in the BIOS/UEFI to the DVD drive, and that should take like one minute.

If you bought a Samsung 840 EVO/850 EVO to replace some other laptop's hard drive (and you should buy no other SSD unless it's either free or for a very specific use) you can use the Samsung data migration software and the cheapest external HD enclosure you can find, then it's literally "click button to transfer wandows to new disk"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're going to get an external SSD, look at an SSD-quality SD card. For about the same price as a 128GB SSD you can get a 128GB SD card with ~200MB read/write which is faster than a rotational drive and about average for a mid-tier SSD from 2013. They're also tiny and fit flush in the SD slot of the Ultrabooks equipped with SD slots (like Macbook Airs)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

If you're going to get an external SSD, look at an SSD-quality SD card. For about the same price as a 128GB SSD you can get a 128GB SD card with ~200MB read/write which is faster than a rotational drive and about average for a mid-tier SSD from 2013. They're also tiny and fit flush in the SD slot of the Ultrabooks equipped with SD slots (like Macbook Airs)

200mb/s from a SD card? Show me.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

blowfish posted:

If you bought a Samsung 840 EVO/850 EVO to replace some other laptop's hard drive (and you should buy no other SSD unless it's either free or for a very specific use) you can use the Samsung data migration software and the cheapest external HD enclosure you can find, then it's literally "click button to transfer wandows to new disk"

Can you use this Samsung Data Migrator for other disk vendors?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This page claims 280/250 read/write but the only time I've handled an SD card in the last 4 years was inserting one in to a Pi or Beagle Bone

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083950-REG/delkin_devices_ddsduhs232gb_32gb_sdhc_uhs_ii_u3.html

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
The Asia zenbook has a half length msata spot to install a second ssd. 22x42 are the dimensions I believe. I have not put one in mine yet because I don't use a lot of space.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

This page claims 280/250 read/write but the only time I've handled an SD card in the last 4 years was inserting one in to a Pi or Beagle Bone

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083950-REG/delkin_devices_ddsduhs232gb_32gb_sdhc_uhs_ii_u3.html

Tom's hard a bench mark of some card that was like 6x the price of a 'normal' card and was able to peak > 200mbs

But in general they aren't nearly that quick. Plus your reader might be slow depending on your device. Real slow on random read/write and I'm not sure if the endurance is close to what it would be on say a Samsung 840

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4544/6/49-sd-and-microsd-cards-tested-theres-a-difference-test-results-10-gb-writing

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Just saw this
Lenovo Y50 Touch 4K UHD Laptop Computer - 59423621 - Intel Core i7-4700HQ / 256GB Solid State Drive / 16GB RAM / 15.6" UHD MultiTouch 3840x2160 Display / NVidia GeForce 860M 2GB / Dual Band Wireless AC / Windows 8.1 $999.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LT1JQ5Y?tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=[t|link[p|1679461558[a|B00LT1JQ5Y[au|5727177402741770316

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

jadeddrifter posted:

Just saw this
Lenovo Y50 Touch 4K UHD Laptop Computer - 59423621 - Intel Core i7-4700HQ / 256GB Solid State Drive / 16GB RAM / 15.6" UHD MultiTouch 3840x2160 Display / NVidia GeForce 860M 2GB / Dual Band Wireless AC / Windows 8.1 $999.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LT1JQ5Y?tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=[t|link[p|1679461558[a|B00LT1JQ5Y[au|5727177402741770316

I'm in the market for a PC mostly focused on gaming and am mildly interested in the idea of a laptop for it since I travel a ton. Any opinions on this? Is it going to be a pretty competent gaming PC? Do deals like this show up often?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Golashes posted:

I'm in the market for a PC mostly focused on gaming and am mildly interested in the idea of a laptop for it since I travel a ton. Any opinions on this? Is it going to be a pretty competent gaming PC? Do deals like this show up often?

That laptop owns and the only thing separating it from a maxxxed last generation is
a slight processor bump (like 0.3ghz)
SSD space (from 256 to 512)
the gfx from 860m to 880m (a considerable performance gap, but also pricing issues)

The one thing it's missing with its current specs is 4gb of dedicated video ram (it has 2gb), but with 16gb of system it's pretty ehhhh who cares.

The only consideration / "hold up" point of contention is that it's the very last item from the last generation. Broadwell is out now and Skylake is coming soon... even so, it's sexy.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Keep in mind that with an 860m running games at 4k resolution will be generally pretty difficult at any decent settings. Obviously you can set the resolution to 1920x1080 but you may not like how it looks stretching that resolution.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Coolwhoami posted:

Keep in mind that with an 860m running games at 4k resolution will be generally pretty difficult at any decent settings. Obviously you can set the resolution to 1920x1080 but you may not like how it looks stretching that resolution.

This is my one concern but honestly I'll probably have it hooked up to my 1920x1080 monitor half the time anyway. I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger and if I get buyers remorse in the week it takes to ship I'll return it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Most games look okay scaled arbitrarily anyway, and as that system has 1080px2 it should look pretty good.

Interested to hear your thoughts when it arrives though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
if 1080p at that screen size looks good, scaling to 2x with 2160p should look exactly the same, right?

Also kind of bummed because I just got my Y50 from Lenovo today, I paid $889 or something (with the B&N store) but I would have gladly paid an extra $100 to get that Amazon model.