Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Three Olives posted:

AT&T had the Tab S cover on sale for $30, picked one up and I thought it used a magnet locking system but it actually uses buttons in the case that hold it incredibly securely.

Yes, Just to be clear it uses buttons to secure the case to the Tab S. It uses magnets on a flap to keep closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
- Why does Spotify spaz out every time I swipe away a notification
- Why does the launcher crash out and redraw itself every 5 minutes? It shouldn't take a tablet with 2gb of RAM 5 seconds to go back to the home screen
- Tablet app problems: clicking a new tab in Chrome by default highlights the reload page control, and not the address bar. Which means you actually need to tap the address bar before you start typing a new URL. Stupid, stupid, stupid
- Inbox is great for phones and awful for tablets

Question: I've never played with a Samsung device before, but it seems like they know what they're doing when it comes to software optimisations for bigger devices. Does Samsung have its poo poo together with respect to their tablets? This thing has me crawling up a wall.

Also, good feedback about the Nexus 9 keyboad case: This is about the smallest keyboard I've ever used, but it is usable and nicer to use than the on-screen keyboard. Keys have good travel and it just feels nice overall.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

primitive posted:

- Why does Spotify spaz out every time I swipe away a notification
- Why does the launcher crash out and redraw itself every 5 minutes? It shouldn't take a tablet with 2gb of RAM 5 seconds to go back to the home screen
- Tablet app problems: clicking a new tab in Chrome by default highlights the reload page control, and not the address bar. Which means you actually need to tap the address bar before you start typing a new URL. Stupid, stupid, stupid
- Inbox is great for phones and awful for tablets

Question: I've never played with a Samsung device before, but it seems like they know what they're doing when it comes to software optimisations for bigger devices. Does Samsung have its poo poo together with respect to their tablets? This thing has me crawling up a wall.

Also, good feedback about the Nexus 9 keyboad case: This is about the smallest keyboard I've ever used, but it is usable and nicer to use than the on-screen keyboard. Keys have good travel and it just feels nice overall.

Android.txt.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So for something I want to just bring to work with me and be able to browse forums / read PDFs, would the iPad mini 2 or Nexus 7 2013 fit the bill better? Or is there something else I should consider?

edit: drat, comparing price wise, the iPad mini 2 32gb ($350) is $170 more than a refurbished n7 ($180).

Etrips fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 14, 2015

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Etrips posted:

So for something I want to just bring to work with me and be able to browse forums / read PDFs, would the iPad mini 2 or Nexus 7 2013 fit the bill better? Or is there something else I should consider?

edit: drat, comparing price wise, the iPad mini 2 32gb ($350) is $170 more than a refurbished n7 ($180).

I don't have one yet but based on what I've read (on the forums, from reviews, and friends), the HP Stream 7 is decent. In the US it's (I think) $99, and it's a Windows 8 tablet - 1gb RAM, Intel Atom Quad-Core processor, and 32gb HD. May or may not be what you're looking for, but it could work. The display copy I handled at the store handled PDFs well, for sure. I'd at least look into it and read up on it.

EDIT: Hope it's okay for me to post this semi-recommendation though I don't yet own the device. I just thought that this poster may not have heard of the Stream 7, heh.

EDIT: Also, just in case it's not clear, the Stream 7 has both Windows app capability *and* Desktop mode. Basically a Windows PC in Tablet form

Renzian fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 14, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

Go to a store and try similar content on both. IPad mini is bigger and has a different aspect ratio, which could be worth the price increase if that makes reading what you want to read much better.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm in a similar boat. I want something for note taking and google docs productivity on the go. Generally other use would be web browsing, comic, and PDF reading. I'm looking at either a refurb mini 2, HP Stream 13, or splurging for that Toshiba Chromebook 2 HD.

Here's what I've worked out on my own:

i-pad mini
Pros: app store, gorgeous looking screen, tablet versatility.
Cons: lovely bluetooth keyboard, lovely multitasking, tiny screen.

HP Stream 13
Pros: Windows 8 and associated multitasking and software selection. pretty chassis,
Cons: lovely screen, disappointment when I install for serious Windows software/games that then run like crap.

Toshiba Chromebook 2 HD
Pros: Beautiful display, multitasking, faster+double the RAM of the Stream
Cons: Much more expensive than my other options. Chrome OS, Trackpad on store model was garbage.

I think I've mostly talked myself out of the Chromebook at this point.

Do any of you have guidance on this decision? Might crosspost this in the SHSC laptop thread since it's kind of bridging the gap.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
Recommend me a tabet!

A friend is looking for a tablet.
Budget is no more than $300 USD

Idea is to replace an aging laptop for Uni duties as well as entertainment. Mainly going to be used for taking notes and browsing the web. The ability to create and modify PowerPoint docs would be appreciated.

Any good options?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mariguana posted:

Recommend me a tabet!

Idea is to replace an aging laptop for Uni duties as well as entertainment. Mainly going to be used for taking notes and browsing the web. The ability to create and modify PowerPoint docs would be appreciated.

Any good options?
A chromebook?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mariguana posted:

You could get a ASUS T100 for around that price if you know where to look but the included keyboard is going to be a little cramped.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mariguana posted:

Recommend me a tabet!

Any good options?

Buy a laptop for that money if you're doing any kind of work, cheap tablets are janky, won't run that software well, and you'll have to budget for a separate bluetooth keyboard and stand to carry around everywhere.

I can't fathom attempting to go to Uni with just a tablet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wooger posted:

Buy a laptop for that money if you're doing any kind of work, cheap tablets are janky, won't run that software well, and you'll have to budget for a separate bluetooth keyboard and stand to carry around everywhere.

There's a number of Windows 8.1 tablets that are basically detachable netbooks.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

wooger posted:

To clarify. They have a laptop already, a MacBook, that will be used for any serious work. It's an older model but still works. They just don't want to haul it around campus and would prefer a tablet for note taking and the like.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mariguana posted:

To clarify. They have a laptop already, a MacBook, that will be used for any serious work. It's an older model but still works. They just don't want to haul it around campus and would prefer a tablet for note taking and the like.

This doesn't require a keyboard?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

i-pad mini
Pros: app store, gorgeous looking screen, tablet versatility.
Cons: lovely bluetooth keyboard, lovely multitasking, tiny screen.
Unless you're against Bluetooth keyboards, in general, any Bluetooth keyboard will work an an iPad, so it's as good or as lovely as you want. Granted, if you want one that is also a case, your options become more limited, and you're probably never going to find anything particularly usable in that size.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I'm in the mobile game business, and I need an Android tablet for when I meet with Google. How is the nVidia Shield? Does the streaming poo poo work? I still have flashbacks to the ngage.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I think it's pretty fantastic if you can't/don't want to wait for the Nokia N1. My understanding is the streaming stuff works pretty well but you don't actually need a Shield for it, just an nvidia card + one of several public apps.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's a nice basic Windows 8 tablet? Primarily used for reading comics whilst pooping. It's been a giant pain in the rear end getting my android to read comics via a network share and sync read/unread with my PC, so I'm considering just getting a windows one as I already use ComicRack on my PC.

Edit - oops forgot to add I'm looking at 10"

Medullah fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 19, 2015

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Any opinions on the Yoga Tablet 2? Particularly the Android version.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Looking for a tablet that is mostly for hearthstone, reading, and maybe video calls. My budget is $500 tops, and I'm leaning toward android since I have some games on my android phone already. I've looked around a little, is the nexus 9 as bad as the forums make it sound?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm going to look at the Nexus 7 or 9

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 20, 2015

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Looking for a tablet that is mostly for hearthstone, reading, and maybe video calls. My budget is $500 tops, and I'm leaning toward android since I have some games on my android phone already. I've looked around a little, is the nexus 9 as bad as the forums make it sound?

I like the galaxy tab 4. Or if you don't mind spending the extra money the Tab S is awesome.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I found this on newegg, SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2, anyone have any experience with it? I think i'm going to go for it since there's a refurbished one for cheap currently.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131830&cm_re=samsung_tab_2_pro-_-34-131-830-_-Product

Edit: Just realizing the pro is the older model than the s, guessing that really hurts it?

Brutor Fartknocker fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 20, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Edit: Just realizing the pro is the older model than the s, guessing that really hurts it?

Nope they're fine machines.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

jadeddrifter posted:

I like the galaxy tab 4. Or if you don't mind spending the extra money the Tab S is awesome.

The Galaxy Tab line (no Pro, no S, no Note) is the budget line, I wouldn't recommend any of them. They're not the best budget tablets and they're definitely not the best tablets if you want to spend $400-500.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

If I just want to spend like... $200ish the Nexus 7 2013 is a good choice?

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Rv, what's budget line about the galaxy tab s? I can't really find anything that makes the nexus 9 seem much better, if at all. Is it because it's still on the older android os?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Rv, what's budget line about the galaxy tab s? I can't really find anything that makes the nexus 9 seem much better, if at all. Is it because it's still on the older android os?

It's objectively better than the Nexus 9 with the exception screen ratio (Personal preference), not being a Nexus device, Lollipop (Samsung has said the S Tablets are getting Lollipop at some point) and general hate for Touchwiz.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nah, Samsung's naming is just awful; I tried to be clear ("The Galaxy Tab line (no Pro, no S, no Note) is the budget line"). The budget line is the "Galaxy Tab" line, like Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, etc. Then the current high end line is Galaxy Tab S, with several sizes. In the past, the Galaxy Tab Pro line and Galaxy Note line have been their high end tablet. But anything that is just "Galaxy Tab [numbers]" is bad: 1024x600 display on the 7", 1280x800 display on the 10.1", slow and bad.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Oh, ok, cool. Good to know then, thanks guys. I'll report back when I have a sweet new galaxy tab s then.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Hey guys, we are looking to buy 20 iPad Minis by summer for our business, scaling up to about 50 by the end of the year. We need data plans for these iPads, and we're trying to decide between the major carriers. Basically, which one is cheapest? We need maybe 500 megs/month in data for each iPad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

retpocileh posted:

Hey guys, we are looking to buy 20 iPad Minis by summer for our business, scaling up to about 50 by the end of the year. We need data plans for these iPads, and we're trying to decide between the major carriers. Basically, which one is cheapest? We need maybe 500 megs/month in data for each iPad.
Depending on what you're trying to do, you might be best just looking at AT&T and Verizon since the coverage of Sprint and T-Mobile aren't nearly as good. In any case, if you're looking for that many plans, you should really talk to the carriers' business people, since they'll be able to offer you the best contract for your needs, and few people on here will really have a good idea what that will look like.

I would say don't bother with Sprint in any case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

retpocileh posted:

You can barter a good rate for that many lines, basically you get a pooled data plan and scale up the data as you need it.

If you happen to be near East PA send me a message and I could help you. Otherwise, here is an example of AT&T (and verizon is probably similar):

30GB of data (they double the 15GB plan): $130
20 ipads: $10 each, so $200
$130 + $200 = $330. Discount wise could float from $10 to $25 a month off depending on what they get approved.

You can have up to I think 30 lines on the 30GB plan and then you have to scale up to 40GB, then 60 (or do two different pools, whichever is better math wise).

You should very likely do either AT&T or verizon, sprint and Tmobile have lower coverage, and both carriers are pretty aggressive on business pricings.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I was just at Best Buy and noticed this Unbranded 10.1" Windows 8 Tablet

Anyone know anything about this? It basically seems like the top half of Asus Transformer for way cheaper.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mango sentinel posted:

I was just at Best Buy and noticed this Unbranded 10.1" Windows 8 Tablet

Anyone know anything about this? It basically seems like the top half of Asus Transformer for way cheaper.

Intel® Atom™ processor
With 1.33GHz processor speed and 2GB memory for optimal performance.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Intel® Atom™ processor
With 1.33GHz processor speed and 2GB memory for optimal performance.

I checked the specs in store. It's an Atom Z3735F.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

me your dad posted:

Is there any reason not to get the Kindle Fire HD 7 for my aging mom who just needs the simplest way to get on the web, check email and do mom things? It's $109 on Amazon right now.

A friend of mine got his mother one to do the same things your looking for and it works great. Plus it has gotten here in to some games and they seem to be helping her to think throughout the day which she was having trouble with before the tablet.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm replacing a 10" Nook HD+ and I'm considering a Note tablet even though I dislike touchwiz.

What I need:
Great display for media.
Decent web browsing performance
Good battery life
Android

What I'd like:
Basic support for drawing apps - what tablets come with digitisers now?

What I don't really need:
3d graphics/gaming capability
Lollipop

I really liked the Nook for its price, but it's starting to pant a bit on fairly basic websites, and forget anything with gifs.

Budget: £400 ($600)

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 24, 2015

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm looking for a cheap Android tablet with a large screen I can use with Synthesia. I've already got a 2013 Nexus 7 that I'm happy with for tablet-y tasks, so this tablet is going to be spending 90% of its time on a digital piano. As long as the hardware is capable of running that one program at full speed and has USB OTG support, I can deal with whatever flaws it might have in other respects. I'm willing to go used, if that'll help get the price-point down further. Price point is "cheaper/around the price of a basic wall mounted monitor and a long HDMI cable to my PC".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Is the original surface pro worth it for $150-180 (including the keyboard attachment)? I always thought it looked cool but I don't really need it for anything, I just have a bulky laptop and wouldn't mind something lighter to lug around town.