Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

For a german steel option there is the Victorinox 14" Slicer.

For harder japanese style steel there are Sujihikis, these have a tip and will be sharper but are shorter than the slicer above:

A somewhat flexible Suji: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar27su.html

A stiff one, a bit more expensive too: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpslkn27.html

Thanks dude, I'll probably end up getting one. I was unaware of this style of knife, but the edge should be good for my workload.
Got similar advice from some friends here in the bay area who recommended that, too - so it must be good if everybody's in agreement.

Think I'll try to find a 10 inch or so unit, since whole packers can be a bit wide and I'd really love to minimize the amount of slices I have to make.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Depending on how rough your bark is, and if you feel like giving a poo poo about upkeep, a yanagi might work. You will probably have to baby it apart from that though, and you will have to take it to a place that can handle uraoshi sharpening (or learn yourself).

and it will probably be out of your price range, too.

you can get a moritaka custom yanagi. These are a misnomer, moritaka yanagis are actually double beveled so theyre technically sujihikis. Ask for a 360mm if you want 14" though that is a pretty hilarious length.

This guy is probably SK5 but for beef it's probably fine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sakai-Takay...=item1c4827aa17

I've got plenty of experience with stones and sharpening, though little with hollow edge blades like yanigiba - since it'd be nice to not worry about switching between proteins with the same knife I think I'll probably skip the conventional yani knives you're talking about, for fear of trying to part out a rack of ribs and accidentally nailing cartilage. That moritaka is pretty rad, and i would probably never have found it, so thanks. Honestly 14 would probably be great since a brisket can be pretty wide, but you're right - that's a loving huge knife.

I'll let you guys know where it pans out. I'm willing to throw down a fair bit of cash, bbq is the only light in my pathetic existence so wasting cash in pursuit of nerdy perfection doesn't seem any more meaningless than every other waking moment of my life.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Woof! Woof! posted:

Thanks dude, I'll probably end up getting one. I was unaware of this style of knife, but the edge should be good for my workload.
Got similar advice from some friends here in the bay area who recommended that, too - so it must be good if everybody's in agreement.

Think I'll try to find a 10 inch or so unit, since whole packers can be a bit wide and I'd really love to minimize the amount of slices I have to make.

I've got plenty of experience with stones and sharpening, though little with hollow edge blades like yanigiba - since it'd be nice to not worry about switching between proteins with the same knife I think I'll probably skip the conventional yani knives you're talking about, for fear of trying to part out a rack of ribs and accidentally nailing cartilage. That moritaka is pretty rad, and i would probably never have found it, so thanks. Honestly 14 would probably be great since a brisket can be pretty wide, but you're right - that's a loving huge knife.

I'll let you guys know where it pans out. I'm willing to throw down a fair bit of cash, bbq is the only light in my pathetic existence so wasting cash in pursuit of nerdy perfection doesn't seem any more meaningless than every other waking moment of my life.

Hmmm, if you don't mind carbon steel this 12" Suji is a great deal: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tskasu30.html

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, if you don't mind carbon steel this 12" Suji is a great deal: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tskasu30.html

While I don't currently own a carbon steel blade, I am willing to probably deal with the added upkeep since I sharpen my slicing knives fairly often anyways.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the long rear end Victorinox fibrox slicer. It was cheap but it's awesome. You absolutely have to steel it every time you use it, but I would imagine that's common with such thin/flexible knives.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Woof! Woof! posted:

While I don't currently own a carbon steel blade, I am willing to probably deal with the added upkeep since I sharpen my slicing knives fairly often anyways.

I think you would like the aogami #2 steel used in that knife, it's formulated to hold an edge for a long time along with getting super sharp fairly easily.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just noticed that the Tanaka Kurouchi Blue#2 240mm and 210mm are on overstock sale at CKTG. The Tanaka knives are really well liked and I would recommend these to anyone looking to try out a fully carbon knife. I'd get one myself if I had the money to spare right now. :(
Hey, I need a 4th gyuto right? Sure I do :shepface:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I can not in good conscience, buy another knife. So, I'd better get drunk an buy that thing ASAP.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I can not in good conscience, buy another knife. So, I'd better get drunk an buy that thing ASAP.

You can never have enough knives. Just tell your significant other that your need one to assist you in the bathroom. To cut toilet paper of course.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Y'all might remember me from a week ago, and I think I might have hosed my knife already (woo! :sad: ) I had a few rust spots form, as I must not have dried it properly before putting it away. So I tried the lemon juice method from a few pages back and ended up with this:

Is this fixable? Or have I completely ruined my brand-new knife?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Uber Kosh posted:

Y'all might remember me from a week ago, and I think I might have hosed my knife already (woo! :sad: ) I had a few rust spots form, as I must not have dried it properly before putting it away. So I tried the lemon juice method from a few pages back and ended up with this:

Is this fixable? Or have I completely ruined my brand-new knife?

That is completely fixable. First try scrubbing it hard with a baking soda slurry, if that doesn't work try some Barkeepers Friend, that will clean drat near anything off. I have seen knives covered in rust with chipped to hell edges, usually a cheap carbon knife, taken back to pristine condition with some diligent cleaning using Barkeepers Friend, some steel wool and a good edge reprofile and sharpening.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Awesome, thank you!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Uber Kosh posted:

Awesome, thank you!

BTW. just to explain some stuff, the baking soda is used because it bonds with any acids and removes them, this helps with stopping any rusting, it also acts as a mild abrasive along with the scrubbing itself. It's hard to tell because of the lighting in your photo but that looks mostly like patina to me, ugly patina but patina nonetheless, some people like to clean it off but I prefer to just leave it but if there is anything reddish there then clean it off asap. Plain yellow mustard with a little water to thin it out makes a nicer looking patina, just put the mustard slurry on one side and leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash it off then repeat with the other side. You can also cut up a 5lb bag of onions and let that form a patina as you do it, just try to use the whole length of the knife so the patina is reasonably even. Cutting up red meat also gives a nice blue-ish patina.

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005
Thanks again for all the great information, everyone.

Cutting boards: feet or no feet?

Pros? Cons? Just buy a drat cutting board and shut up?

Discuss.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

vacuity posted:

Thanks again for all the great information, everyone.

Cutting boards: feet or no feet?

Pros? Cons? Just buy a drat cutting board and shut up?

Discuss.

The only feet I like much are the rubber ones that some poly boards like some of the sanjamar and oxo good grips ones have.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't like feet on thin boards because I don't like board flex. Damp towel works great for nonslip in that regard. Thicker boards, sure.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Does anyone have experience with the edge pro knockoffs? Is there anything inherently terrible about them? From what I've read people seem to be saying to buy the knockoff but then buy edge pro stones to replace the ones it came with.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I've got one. The stones aren't terrible, I use them. I'm going to replace them with Shapton pro stones eventually. Definitely recommend it though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

CrazySalamander posted:

Does anyone have experience with the edge pro knockoffs? Is there anything inherently terrible about them? From what I've read people seem to be saying to buy the knockoff but then buy edge pro stones to replace the ones it came with.

It's a decent product, you can definitely tell that it is cheaply made, but it does work. The stones are low quality and cut slowly, but they will work, especially on softer german steel.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Suggestions on the best 8" chef's knife in the $100 range? Bonus points if you please to offer knife + sharpening solution for ~$150.

Previous knives include Henkels 5 Star, Wusthof Classic, and Global G2, all 8".

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

bewbies posted:

Suggestions on the best 8" chef's knife in the $100 range? Bonus points if you please to offer knife + sharpening solution for ~$150.

Previous knives include Henkels 5 Star, Wusthof Classic, and Global G2, all 8".

Tojiro DP 8" Gyuto though I prefer the 9 and a half inch version.

For sharpening a good, cheap solution is one of the edgepro knockoffs, the stones are not all that great but they will work, just more slowly than high quality stones, luckily you can buy better stones for it at some point if you feel that the basic ones don't fit your needs.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
So maybe I'm just not that great at internetting but I'm not seeing the CCK small cleaver available from a ton of places. Looks like chefsknivestogo has it for around $70. Is there a common online vendor that sells them that I'm missing? Seeing lots of other cleavers and am happy to take suggestions if the OP is just out of date and there is a new hotness floating around.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

E-Money posted:

So maybe I'm just not that great at internetting but I'm not seeing the CCK small cleaver available from a ton of places. Looks like chefsknivestogo has it for around $70. Is there a common online vendor that sells them that I'm missing? Seeing lots of other cleavers and am happy to take suggestions if the OP is just out of date and there is a new hotness floating around.

CCK is still where it's at but the internets have driven demand up like mad and they are no longer the great deal at $30 they used to be.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
A good friend of mine is moving away to that cursed wasteland called California and we're looking to get him a nice gift to make his time in purgatory more bearable. We're avid fish murderers in Washington, freediving and spearfishing, spoiled on the freshest dungeoness crab, black rockfish, cabezon, and of course salmon! As such I thought an excellent fillet knife would be a good choice, any recommendations around $150? I suppose the case may be that a $30 knife might work perfectly well but it is a gift after all. John Neeman makes a beautiful example, but other than being art work I can't really verify it has all the properties to perform the job well, i.e. thin and flexible.

I know of a custom knife shop that would add a nostalgia factor, so if someone could lay out the specifications of their favorite fillet knife, (blade width, steel type, handle shape, etc...) perhaps I could have one made.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Crimpanzee posted:

A good friend of mine is moving away to that cursed wasteland called California and we're looking to get him a nice gift to make his time in purgatory more bearable. We're avid fish murderers in Washington, freediving and spearfishing, spoiled on the freshest dungeoness crab, black rockfish, cabezon, and of course salmon! As such I thought an excellent fillet knife would be a good choice, any recommendations around $150? I suppose the case may be that a $30 knife might work perfectly well but it is a gift after all. John Neeman makes a beautiful example, but other than being art work I can't really verify it has all the properties to perform the job well, i.e. thin and flexible.

I know of a custom knife shop that would add a nostalgia factor, so if someone could lay out the specifications of their favorite fillet knife, (blade width, steel type, handle shape, etc...) perhaps I could have one made.

This one will be a very good performer going by my experience with the 150mm Artifex petty knife. It's very plain but it would make up for it in performance and it's not too expensive at $80. You could also look into having a custom handle put on it but that would up the price considerably.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Crimpanzee posted:

If you've got a guy who can make custom knives for 150 can you send me his info.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

get a yanagiba, lol

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Just got off the phone with the custom guy and welp, not terribly impressed but we may go with him anyways because of the aforementioned nostalgia factor. He charges $189 for a 6.5" blade and $225 for an 11" blade fillet knife but only works in 440 steel.

Woof! Woof! if you're interested it's Ray Rock Springs Custom Knives off Highway 2 near Leavenworth. No website just search for his name and grab the phone number off yelp or something. Real nice guy though!

GrAviTy84 posted:

get a yanagiba, lol

I did mention to everyone that http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka11.html is the same price :getin:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Crimpanzee posted:

Just got off the phone with the custom guy and welp, not terribly impressed but we may go with him anyways because of the aforementioned nostalgia factor. He charges $189 for a 6.5" blade and $225 for an 11" blade fillet knife but only works in 440 steel.

Woof! Woof! if you're interested it's Ray Rock Springs Custom Knives off Highway 2 near Leavenworth. No website just search for his name and grab the phone number off yelp or something. Real nice guy though!

I did mention to everyone that http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka11.html is the same price :getin:

yeah but the moritaka isn't a ~~true~~ yanagi since it's double beveled. Still, like 85% of people don't know that, and like 99% of people don't care

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I heard this interesting piece on The Splendid Table and got a laugh out of this:

quote:

But when those war-like Americans in warships got there, the Japanese observed that Americans were eating meat. It started to grow in interest and popularity. Then we reached this incredible moment in 1872 when the emperor of Japan ate meat in public and started to advocate the eating of meat. He said, "As a nation we need to get bigger and healthier and stronger." They started to eat meat at that time.

"We need to get bigger and healthier and stronger." That's a pretty drat solid public health policy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crimpanzee posted:

Neat, I've driven past this place so many times over my whole life and never thought to stop in.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Just got a set of Victorinox Fibrox knives, they seem fantastic for the price. Granted, I've been using some horrid blue-light-special Cuisinart knives since college, so any knife sharpened within the past decade would probably seem like a lightsaber to me.

Would a ceramic honing rod damage the softer steel of the Victorinox knives? Is there a particular honing rod recommended by thread regulars? Would a 320 and a 1k Sharpton stone be appropriate for these knives?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Just got a set of Victorinox Fibrox knives, they seem fantastic for the price. Granted, I've been using some horrid blue-light-special Cuisinart knives since college, so any knife sharpened within the past decade would probably seem like a lightsaber to me.

Would a ceramic honing rod damage the softer steel of the Victorinox knives? Is there a particular honing rod recommended by thread regulars? Would a 320 and a 1k Sharpton stone be appropriate for these knives?

1k is probably plenty. You only need lower grit for repairing chips. Ceramic honing rods are fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

1k is probably plenty. You only need lower grit for repairing chips. Ceramic honing rods are fine.

Yeah, agreed. I only take my Victorinox up to 2k, I haven't seen any real improvement going up to 5k on it. Mostly I just use my ceramic rod, I find that that gets it plenty sharp 90% of the time. A 1k stone will give a really nice edge on softer steels and because they are fairly soft you don't need the fast cutting speed of a 320.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I ordered a victorinox santoku recently and have been using it for everything since its so sharp. How long can I expect it to remain this sharp?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Jose posted:

I ordered a victorinox santoku recently and have been using it for everything since its so sharp. How long can I expect it to remain this sharp?

Hard to say, it greatly depends on what ingredients you are cutting often. I would get a ceramic hone for it, that will put a good edge on it when it gets dull and it's easy to use if you don't want to spend the time and money it would take to learn how to sharpen.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I got the Dojo 90mm paring knife, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Some of the rivet holes are too big, and the imprinting on the blade is only partially stamped in. The craftsmanship on my Tojiro gyuto is way better, so I'd have expected more from the Dojo.

It's also very dull, but I'm guessing that's not unusual for Japanese knives out of the box. There's a sharpener in the area with an extremely good reputation, so hopefully when I get it back from him it will be sharp enough to use at least.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Caddrel posted:

I got the Dojo 90mm paring knife, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Some of the rivet holes are too big, and the imprinting on the blade is only partially stamped in. The craftsmanship on my Tojiro gyuto is way better, so I'd have expected more from the Dojo.

It's also very dull, but I'm guessing that's not unusual for Japanese knives out of the box. There's a sharpener in the area with an extremely good reputation, so hopefully when I get it back from him it will be sharp enough to use at least.

The Dojo knives have very cheap handles, the blade should get plenty sharp in the hands of a good sharpener though. And yeah, some makers don't really put much of an edge on because they expect the buyer to put an edge that they like on on their own.

BTW anyone looking to drop some dough on a really nice knife, the Masakage lines on CKTG are on sale for 15% off so now would be a good time to buy one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hard to say, it greatly depends on what ingredients you are cutting often. I would get a ceramic hone for it, that will put a good edge on it when it gets dull and it's easy to use if you don't want to spend the time and money it would take to learn how to sharpen.

Ok cool. I kind of wish I'd paid to get a wusthof since the handle on the victorinox leaves a lot to be desired

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Alright, just ordered myself the Victorinox Chef's Knife and a Wusthof Paring Knife. Time to learn to cook finally.

I was going to work on breaking down a whole chicken this week. The chef's knife should be fine for cutting through the wishbone and such right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

goodness posted:

Alright, just ordered myself the Victorinox Chef's Knife and a Wusthof Paring Knife. Time to learn to cook finally.

I was going to work on breaking down a whole chicken this week. The chef's knife should be fine for cutting through the wishbone and such right?

Yes, I have the same knife and it has no problem cutting through a wishbone.

• Locked thread