Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

toymach1ne posted:

ATTENTION: next week is Soundgarden DLC! (5 Pack)

I'm going to spend so much money next week on this and the packs that I haven't gotten yet since November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

toymach1ne posted:

ATTENTION: next week is Soundgarden DLC! (5 Pack)
Oh man. That's awesome.

.I was really hoping to get gift cards/cash for xmas JUST to buy dlc for rocksmith. Alas it wasn't to be.

Guess there is always my birthday.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Superunknown
Rusty Cage
Spoonman
Jesus Christ Pose
Uncovered

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Superunknown
Rusty Cage
Spoonman
Jesus Christ Pose
Uncovered

Those aren't bad songs, and I know they were their most popular ones, but those are about the last 5 songs I'd want from them.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

No Ty Cobb :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've never heard Uncovered played on anything but the album. I love that song. Superunknown's fun to play and so is Spoonman. But Jesus Christ Post and Rusty Cage aren't fun enough to make me want them considering how 'single' they are. Same with Black Hole Sun and Fell On Black Days. I'd love to see Ty Cobb, Burden In My Hand, and the no-way-in-loving-hell Mind Riot or Searching With My Good Eye Closed. Drawing Flies, Limo Wreck, My Wave, Sleep Tight... gently caress, we're gonna need another pack.

But I guarantee you Black Hole Sun is going to be in it. I hate that fact but it's probably they're most air-played song, it has a pretty hefty solo in it, and even if you aren't into grunge or Soundgarden it's a song everyone knows and loves. :(

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 10, 2015

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Got the PS3 version,. Haven't played much with the bass since 2012 (dislocated my left elbow, did not play for all of 2013 due to it).

I can feel the calluses coming back. It's so goddamn fun. I think the first pack I will buy will be the The Cure pack. I've always liked their basslines.

Alternatively, could also start trying to guitar, I guess.

Edit: Would it be worth getting the PC version now that I have a cable? Might get it on steam on the summer sale.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Luisfe posted:

Edit: Would it be worth getting the PC version now that I have a cable? Might get it on steam on the summer sale.

I'd bet the PC version will have more longevity than the PS3 version does, but I could just be talking out of my rear end there.

You should be able to get it at (or close to) winter-sale prices by doing a bit of googling. Or check this thread and see if hiddenmovement can get it for you discounted.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'd say that the PC version is better due to:

1) CDLC. If you want to learn a song using Rocksmith that never gets made officially there's a decent chance someone made a custom for it. That said, customs are a loving crapshoot on quality so have fun with that poo poo.

2) Cheaper poo poo. Steam likes doing sales and if you have patience you can probably pick up far more on the PC for far less than you would on PSN.

3) Maybe cool poo poo like mods or added tools or whatever. Who knows what the :pcgaming: MASTER RACE :pcgaming: will cook up for this!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lumpy posted:

Those aren't bad songs, and I know they were their most popular ones, but those are about the last 5 songs I'd want from them.

Imagine the tuning complaints otherwise though!

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'd say that the PC version is better due to:

1) CDLC. If you want to learn a song using Rocksmith that never gets made officially there's a decent chance someone made a custom for it. That said, customs are a loving crapshoot on quality so have fun with that poo poo.

2) Cheaper poo poo. Steam likes doing sales and if you have patience you can probably pick up far more on the PC for far less than you would on PSN.

3) Maybe cool poo poo like mods or added tools or whatever. Who knows what the :pcgaming: MASTER RACE :pcgaming: will cook up for this!

^ I agree with this guy. I had both games on PS3 for years then I finally snagged the PC version on a Steam sale and I'm sold. CDLC is awesome, the program runs way smoother/faster IMO, and Steam sales. I'm going to suck it up next sale and repurchase the first RS and official DLC and completely abandon my library on PS3. I also love the fact I can play the PC version of RS on my laptop from anywhere.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Man this game rules. I finally got my tone cable yesterday and was able to start. It was a little humbling at first, but 2 hours later I felt pretty decent (except for the tips of my fingers on my left hand). This afternoon I settled in for day two by playing some Blitzkrieg Bop. It started me off much more advanced than yesterday, throwing some chords at me, but I went through the riff manager thing for a bit on 80% speed until I got comfortable with the motions, and in the end did far better than I thought I would. I've got the song at like 85% completion and it actually feels like I'm really playing an actual song.

I've tried to teach myself guitar off and on for years, and almost feel like I've gotten more out of today's 90 minutes with Rocksmith than I have out of any single session I'd ever tried before. Game owns. Whatever unsureness I felt about this earlier is basically gone.

Edit: also seriously have to learn how to relax my left hand. When I first started trying to learn guitar, it was on an acoustic that had really high action and I had to press down quite hard on the frets.. not really the case at all with an electric guitar, at least not with mine. All the pressure I feel like I instinctively have to apply is murdering my fingers.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 10, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Drone posted:

Man this game rules. I finally got my tone cable yesterday and was able to start. It was a little humbling at first, but 2 hours later I felt pretty decent (except for the tips of my fingers on my left hand). This afternoon I settled in for day two by playing some Blitzkrieg Bop. It started me off much more advanced than yesterday, throwing some chords at me, but I went through the riff manager thing for a bit on 80% speed until I got comfortable with the motions, and in the end did far better than I thought I would. I've got the song at like 85% completion and it actually feels like I'm really playing an actual song.

I've tried to teach myself guitar off and on for years, and almost feel like I've gotten more out of today's 90 minutes with Rocksmith than I have out of any single session I'd ever tried before. Game owns. Whatever unsureness I felt about this earlier is basically gone.

Edit: also seriously have to learn how to relax my left hand. When I first started trying to learn guitar, it was on an acoustic that had really high action and I had to press down quite hard on the frets.. not really the case at all with an electric guitar, at least not with mine. All the pressure I feel like I instinctively have to apply is murdering my fingers.

I also got serious about my guitar after getting RS, after having a guitar sitting unused for 3-4 years in my apartment. It's definitely a good way to get started. Now that I'm playing regularly with other musicians I find that I spend less time with RS, but I will often boot it up when I don't feel like practicing any of the songs that we're currently playing.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Superunknown
Rusty Cage
Spoonman
Jesus Christ Pose
Uncovered

Black Hole Sun?

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
I would've expected 'My Wave' to be on that list. It's about time for nostalgia to hit the millennials, before you know it flannel, Big Muff Pi, and drop-D will be the new black again.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

YeahWhatevah posted:

I would've expected 'My Wave' to be on that list. It's about time for nostalgia to hit the millennials, before you know it flannel, Big Muff Pi, and drop-D will be the new black again.

i just bought a big muff pi and am wearing flannel :ohdear:

i like eb though drop d, meh i dunno

Bubba77
Jan 10, 2010
As I go through lessons and learning songs I feel like my hands are not wide enough to play the way rocksmith wants me to. Hammer on for example. 3rd and 5th fret. I should be using my pointer and ring finger for that. Im 6 feet tall and dont have small hands, but I can not make my ring finger hit 5th fret. I need to use my pinky. Is this going to hold me back as I progress? Should I be doing some exercises to stretch out my fingers or something?

Thanks!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

baka kaba posted:

Imagine the tuning complaints otherwise though!

Huh? Isn't every soundgarden song drop-D? Or did they switch to normal for the later stuff? I only know / figured out songs from the first couple albums.

Now I want the pack to just be the entirety of Ultramega-OK.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 11, 2015

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bubba77 posted:

As I go through lessons and learning songs I feel like my hands are not wide enough to play the way rocksmith wants me to. Hammer on for example. 3rd and 5th fret. I should be using my pointer and ring finger for that. Im 6 feet tall and dont have small hands, but I can not make my ring finger hit 5th fret. I need to use my pinky. Is this going to hold me back as I progress? Should I be doing some exercises to stretch out my fingers or something?

Thanks!

Hammer on from the 9th-11th fret for 5 minutes using your index and ring.
After a little break, hammer on from the 8th to the 10th for 5 minutes.
Etc.

It takes a while, but your stupid uncoordinated fingers will become nimble geniuses if you just play every day.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Huh? Isn't every soundgarden song drop-D? Or did they switch to normal for the later stuff? I only know / figured out songs from the first couple albums.

Now I want the pack to just be the entirety of Ultramega-OK.

Ultramega OK, and Louder than love are mostly standard and Drop-D.

After that it gets weird... There's a bunch of open G6, D, and C songs on the next three albums and some Drop-B (?) BADGBE on Rusty Cage, Searching With My Good Eye Closed, and Holy Water.
4th of July is in CFCGBE.
There's even some Sonic Youth style tunings on: The Day I Tried To Live (EEBBBB), My Wave (EEBBBB), and Somewhere(EEBBEE).

This needs to be the pack to show off custom tunings.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Id go for a Sonic Youth or Dinosaur Jr pack. Mascis is a guitar god

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Chalupa Joe posted:

Ultramega OK, and Louder than love are mostly standard and Drop-D.

After that it gets weird... There's a bunch of open G6, D, and C songs on the next three albums and some Drop-B (?) BADGBE on Rusty Cage, Searching With My Good Eye Closed, and Holy Water.
4th of July is in CFCGBE.
There's even some Sonic Youth style tunings on: The Day I Tried To Live (EEBBBB), My Wave (EEBBBB), and Somewhere(EEBBEE).

This needs to be the pack to show off custom tunings.

Now I want all those ones instead. And seconding the Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth.

Bubba77
Jan 10, 2010

Lumpy posted:

Hammer on from the 9th-11th fret for 5 minutes using your index and ring.
After a little break, hammer on from the 8th to the 10th for 5 minutes.
Etc.

It takes a while, but your stupid uncoordinated fingers will become nimble geniuses if you just play every day.

I had thought of that. Doing the smaller spaced ones and working my way up. Thats a good idea. Thanks

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bubba77 posted:

I had thought of that. Doing the smaller spaced ones and working my way up. Thats a good idea. Thanks

Also like most things, There's A Justin For That™
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-101-FingerStretchExercise.php

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Serotonin posted:

Id go for a Sonic Youth or Dinosaur Jr pack. Mascis is a guitar god

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/opinion-alternate-tunings/

wrote this one after Radiohead got their custom tunings. I hope for some Sonic Youth eventually as well

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CitrusFrog posted:

Yep, happens to me a lot and it's really bloody frustrating. I have to completely quit out and relaunch it, then sit through the overly long loading screen.

I asked on the Steam forums about it and it seems to be an on-going issue, some people point it towards bad CDLC but some have reported it happening on a stock game with only official DLC though. I have no idea.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sire Oblivion posted:

I asked on the Steam forums about it and it seems to be an on-going issue, some people point it towards bad CDLC but some have reported it happening on a stock game with only official DLC though. I have no idea.

I most definitely think it's sketchy CDLC because I have a crapton (108 at last count) added to my game so it's more than likely there's a few duds in there.

Also, going back to pick talk, I use a grey Dava mostly, but I also like the feel of the Dunlop Tortex picks, the sharp attack on the Jazz III and the Graphtech picks are quite nice. You can get a 3-piece sampler with a sachet of finger-ease for free just by emailing them and asking.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Soundgarden Song Pack – $11.99

Soundgarden “Black Hole Sun” – Drop D: A455
Soundgarden “Fell On Black Days”
Soundgarden “Jesus Christ Pose” – Drop D
Soundgarden “Pretty Noose” – Custom Tuning (CGCGGE)
Soundgarden “Spoonman” – Drop D

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Found some way to stream with audio at least, although it sucks playing for an audience as you have to turn off Exclusivity mode meaning theres audio lag on my end, makes it really hard to play. ANyone know how to setup Rocksmith for streaming where you can actually use the Audio Exclusivity option *in* Rocksmith or is it just something you have to deal with when streaming?

I just followed this guide quickly
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/802833-Rocksmith-14-Stream-on-Twitch-Forums

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

toymach1ne posted:

Soundgarden Song Pack – $11.99

Soundgarden “Black Hole Sun” – Drop D: A455
Soundgarden “Fell On Black Days”
Soundgarden “Jesus Christ Pose” – Drop D
Soundgarden “Pretty Noose” – Custom Tuning (CGCGGE)
Soundgarden “Spoonman” – Drop D

No real surprises there! Funny how they didn't try to get a newer song in the pack though, just all prime-period singles

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
:lol: The Guitar World tab for Pretty Noose is all one finger barre chords, and a solo. The bassline is the hard part.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 13, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You've seen the video right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nkHrv_4Mg

Chillout session
e- hey they changed it, it used to put their names on the screen like some cheesy infomercial. VEVOOOOO

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 13, 2015

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I've never seen that video, the official one I remember has them sitting in a bar or something...

The Riff Repeater has a preview up:
http://www.theriffrepeater.com/rocksmith-2014-dlc-1132015-soundgarden/

This really needs to be Soundgarden Pack 1.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 14, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Astrobastard posted:

Found some way to stream with audio at least, although it sucks playing for an audience as you have to turn off Exclusivity mode meaning theres audio lag on my end, makes it really hard to play. ANyone know how to setup Rocksmith for streaming where you can actually use the Audio Exclusivity option *in* Rocksmith or is it just something you have to deal with when streaming?

I just followed this guide quickly
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/802833-Rocksmith-14-Stream-on-Twitch-Forums

You can't get it running with Audio Exclusivity, did you try lowering the number in the "Audio Engine" option? It reduces the amount of time it takes the game to process sound but uses more CPU so if you have a good computer try lowering that all the way to 1 to see if it changes anything. I had to set both of my audio devices to 48000 Hz quality to get the game to even stream audio, but since I've had the Audio Engine set to 1 I haven't experienced any lag in the sound.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sire Oblivion posted:

You can't get it running with Audio Exclusivity, did you try lowering the number in the "Audio Engine" option? It reduces the amount of time it takes the game to process sound but uses more CPU so if you have a good computer try lowering that all the way to 1 to see if it changes anything. I had to set both of my audio devices to 48000 Hz quality to get the game to even stream audio, but since I've had the Audio Engine set to 1 I haven't experienced any lag in the sound.

It can take a good few tries faffing around with the Audio Engine option before you get this dialed in right for your PC.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

welp, i've gotten my money's worth out of this game:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
eat the eggs

Choco Happy Ending
Mar 16, 2009

Mmmmfffppphggghhg

Too bad it's the wrong song.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Verizian posted:

Best pick in the world is the Dunlop Jazz III

End of discussion. I am thinking of maybe getting these Scale the Summit Jazz III's. I play almost exclusively fingered bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm watching this guy streaming Rocksmith and taking requests. He just did 77% on Rush -Working Man, the first time he ever heard the song.

http://www.twitch.tv/gryphonboy

He plays with the fretboard display upside down, like tabs. Is that a better way to do it? Seems to make sense, I might have to start doing that since I haven't been playing that long.