Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Schrodingers cat posted:

The small stories you make for yourself are always much more fun than most of what the vanilla game offers.

My problem with coming back to Skyrim is that I restarted so many times, I can't get enjoyment from the first hours of the main quest and faction quests any more and usually give up :v:
This is my problem too. I have done the mages guild quests so many times that I really can't imagine ever enjoying doing any part of it ever again. I've never gotten that far into the main story, but I have done some quests over and over and the same dungeons. I don't know why I get stuck doing the same tiny subset of content every time I play the game but it happens.

quote:

On topic: do you guys know if the UNDEATH quest still breaks a lot of things? The posts and forum thread on TESN seem to only talk about a random camera bug.
I am also very interested in the answer to this. I wanna be a lich, but at what cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Schrodingers cat posted:

My problem with coming back to Skyrim is that I restarted so many times, I can't get enjoyment from the first hours of the main quest and faction quests any more and usually give up :v: And then I realized it's because I force myself to do it right from the start in spite of letting it flow and just enjoying the world. I made it through Dawnguard only twice, Dragonborn, once and I didn't touch Hearthfire's features.

Having picked up the game at launch, this is kind of why I feel like Bethesda not releasing the CK until like January 2012 was a blessing in disguise. I wasn't able to gently caress around with mods, so I was forced to actually play the vanilla game the entire time and didn't have to restart or re-run big sections of the game because of a botched installation or buggy mod. Meanwhile I STILL haven't finished Morrowind or Oblivion :smith:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

GunnerJ posted:

Well, it's not just a matter of story. Everything was so threatening (at one point I had to fake-out a bunch of frost trolls by using the landscape and well-timed sprinting), and I could never stay in one place too long or even sleep because I could wake up to some guys sent to teach my character the last lesson he'll ever get. Once I had a decent set of gear this stopped being a problem.

Yeah, I just started a Bosmer with the 'bandit in the wilds' background, bored of the lame-rear end poo poo my bros in valtheim towers were pulling, I said screw it and decided to become an adventurer. I dodged through Whiterun hold to avoid my pre-existing bounty, and trekked west finding out what a bunch of dickbags non-allied bandits actually are, I took in some word walls while dodging frost trolls, somehow managing to make it to Markarth at the limit of my encumbrance after a bunch of hick dirt farmers let me loose in their mines to clear out Forsworn. I just got roped into finding the Jesus of loving for the Dibellans when all I really wanted to do was steal their statue. :saddowns:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Using the expanded carriages mod and disabling fast travel has really made it so that I tend to stick to one area and really explore things and do the TG and DB missions as they are convenient for me to do. I found myself falling into the trap of doing those missions in quick succession and beelining to the objectives past everything else they put in the game. Frostfall and RN&D have also made me consider time of day and weather more, whereas before I really did not stop to consider if it was noon or three in the morning before just waltzing out towards a dungeon. I'm not a super immersion freak though, I did disable food spoilage in RN&D, and I use Crafting Cloud Storage because making the trek towards the nearest carriage stop to go all the way to Lakeview Manor to my basement to offload the pile of Dragon bones I've collected is honestly just an unfun chore. This is 30 hours into my fourth playthrough and I haven't even been to Markarth, Solitude, Dawnstar, Morthal or Winterhold and I'm not very far into TG and DB stuff either. Maybe I'm just enjoying the journeys more since I was able to pretty everything up more. Now I just need to get Shadowmere or that spirit horse because I've had five horses killed by dragons so far.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

Well, it's not just a matter of story. Everything was so threatening (at one point I had to fake-out a bunch of frost trolls by using the landscape and well-timed sprinting), and I could never stay in one place too long or even sleep because I could wake up to some guys sent to teach my character the last lesson he'll ever get. Once I had a decent set of gear this stopped being a problem.

On top of "stories" I meant these scenarios that can happen when you stray off the beaten path and try new things. But yes, Skyrim and TES games are good at applying that feeling of weakness and pump adrenaline in your blood stream.

Do Frostfall and RN&D consider Vampire or other statuses into the equation? Ie, Vampires are dead things, do they still get cold as fast? Does the food/drink need transition to blood?

Phetz posted:

Having picked up the game at launch, this is kind of why I feel like Bethesda not releasing the CK until like January 2012 was a blessing in disguise. I wasn't able to gently caress around with mods, so I was forced to actually play the vanilla game the entire time and didn't have to restart or re-run big sections of the game because of a botched installation or buggy mod. Meanwhile I STILL haven't finished Morrowind or Oblivion :smith:

I agree with the fact mod testing is the biggest culprit to my restarting probably 100 times and played the same 1-2 hours of the game every single time.

I should really try a playthrough where I start in a random place and ignore everything Dragonborn prophecy related for many hours... and the mage college too.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Someone mentioned the TNF remodelled vanilla homes earlier, they looked pretty cool but my load order is getting long, so I made my first foray into using TES5Edit and combined them into a single plugin. I'm going to make sure I haven't done anything which is going to break stuff, but once that's done, if there's interest I can upload it if anyone wants it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Schrodingers cat posted:

Do Frostfall and RN&D consider Vampire or other statuses into the equation? Ie, Vampires are dead things, do they still get cold as fast? Does the food/drink need transition to blood?

Frostfall by default ignores Vampires entirely. Exposure means nothing to them. RN&D I don't remember because it's been so long since I last used it but I think it ignores Vampires as well and doesn't add any needs to them. With iNeed Vampires need no food or water, but they will still get tired eventually and it takes more sleep to deal with that. In all of these cases I think there's options to change the behavior back to default.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What would be cool is if Frostfall's heat sources added the effects of exposure to vampires.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I believe vampires get tired in RN&D.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A few things for you folks!

First, I've made another simple tiny mod available: Improved D-Pad Bindings. It changes the functions of the D-Pad when using a controller.

Second, regarding Thunderchild: There was a poster a few days ago having difficulty with running Kyne's Fire to High Hrothgar. Having just done it, let me give you some tips. First, you'll really want to complete the Acolyte of the Voice challenge that requires you to use whirlwind sprint to jump off a high ledge. The reason you want to do this is that it nets you The Way of Peace, which is awesome. When you're not in combat, The Way of Peace reduces your shout cooldown to ten seconds, unless it's over sixty seconds. Very useful for doing the Kyne's Fire challenge. You'll probably need all three words of Whirlwhind Sprint. Once you have them, here's an easy place to do it, outside of High Hrothgar, right where Marcurio is standing:

Once you have that, you'll also probably want to strip your character down to just plain clothes so you don't have any speed reduction on you. If you have Wintermyst installed (you should), some "Fortify Sprint" gear would be helpful. Now that you have all that, carrying Kyne's fire should be much easier. Completing the Kyne's fire challenge nets you Stormcrown, another awesome ability which cancels your shout cooldown any time you enter or exit combat. Very nice.

Also, if you're sick of attempting the little meditation minigame, when you start it just open the console and type "player.getav stamina" every couple of seconds to monitor your stamina once the bar disappears. In case you didn't know, you can press the up arrow to repeat a previous command in the console.

Third, a little ini-file trick I figured out a while back which I've been meaning to share. If there are any custom INI settings that you don't want to have to keep re-doing whenever you open the launcher to fiddle with graphical settings, make a seperate INI in your data directory (or your overwrite, or a seperate mod if you're using MO) and name it exactly the same as an esp in your load order - I use "Merged Patch.ini". The game will load it and any conflicts with skyrim.ini will be overriden.

Fourth, about Skysight - Simply Bigger Trees. There was some concern about the game getting too cluttered. Here are a few screenshots of the Riften area playing with it:

And looking down from Lost Tongue Overlook:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
*plays a pc game using a controller*

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Well yeah, it's the better way to play.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

THE PENETRATOR posted:

It's a good way to avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome if you really are autistic and press harder on the mouse buttons to hit things harder (me). Or.... play in more moderate time frames.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Schrodingers cat posted:

It's a good way to avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome if you really are autistic and press harder on the mouse buttons to hit things harder (me). Or.... play in more moderate time frames.

Carpal tunnel syndrome happens from doing repetitive motions for hours on hand, it's not caused solely by mice (before the GUI Carpal Tunnel was an old lady disease because they'd knit all the time)

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
using a controller makes the game feel so much better in mid 20s fps range.

Which is pretty useful when using ENB.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I just reinstalled and added a bunch of mods, and now it seems like I need vsync on to stop water from flickering. I don't think this really has anything to do with my mods, but is there any way to make the mouse not feel like poo poo with vsync on? I don't know how the two are related in Skyrim but for whatever reason this has always happened when I had vsync on. In the past I've always had vsync off for that reason, but I don't know of another way to fix this weird flickering water issue.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Triple-Buffering is supposed to help reduce input lag with v-sync on but it usually isn't as good as just not running v-sync. You will probably have to force the setting in your graphics card control panel.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I actually got fed up after using The Way of Peace + two words of Whirlwind spring multiple times (I don't have Wintermyst and my load list is perilously long as it is) and used the console to cheese it because my wrists were aching from holding down the alt key and I couldn't take any more. :saddowns:

And speaking of Thunderchild it makes your offensive shouts beyond insane as you gain perks and Kyne's Favor points. 120% Kyne's Favor + all three perks + meditate on "Yol" = 500+ damage from Fire Breath with an immediate chance to do it again. It's amazing. Bring a giant to near death in the first few seconds of a battle, kill seven Rieklings in one blast, cripple a dragon before you even close to melee range...:supaburn:

Is there any way to get rid of the blue flame effect from Black Book perks? My character has had that stupid flame effect around him ever since getting his first Black Book perk and I loving hate it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Do you actually need to use a mod to disable the kill cam? It's been ages since I played this game but that doesn't seem right...

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Anyone know how to fix SkyProc patchers through Mod Organizer? I've added the mods, added the executables through MO's data section, but when I run it it opens up a cmd.exe window, pauses, then closes it and goes back to MO without doing anything. I'm guessing it some Java problem but I have no idea how to fix it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

And speaking of Thunderchild it makes your offensive shouts beyond insane as you gain perks and Kyne's Favor points. 120% Kyne's Favor + all three perks + meditate on "Yol" = 500+ damage from Fire Breath with an immediate chance to do it again. It's amazing. Bring a giant to near death in the first few seconds of a battle, kill seven Rieklings in one blast, cripple a dragon before you even close to melee range...:supaburn:

One word: The Conqueror.

Blow up the sun. :getin:

quote:

Is there any way to get rid of the blue flame effect from Black Book perks? My character has had that stupid flame effect around him ever since getting his first Black Book perk and I loving hate it.

Not sure what you mean. is there a sizzling sound associated with it?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Woolie Wool posted:

It might be one of the many persistent effect fixes listed here.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Faldoncow posted:

Anyone know how to fix SkyProc patchers through Mod Organizer? I've added the mods, added the executables through MO's data section, but when I run it it opens up a cmd.exe window, pauses, then closes it and goes back to MO without doing anything. I'm guessing it some Java problem but I have no idea how to fix it.

I actually had a LOT of trouble getting that stuff to work. Here's exactly what you want to do to get it to work, or at least, it's what worked for me:

1 - Point to the correct binary. It should automatically select the correct version of Java. Try not to have more than one installed at once. MO only works with 32-bit Java, so get that if you haven't.
2- Set the Start In folder to a SkyProc patch folder within your main Skyrim install. For some reason it only worked when I did that, I don't know why. Just make an empty folder in the main directory called SkyProc Patchers and then a subfolder called T3nd0_PatchusMaximus. This may or may not be fully necessary, but I had a lot of issues before I did so.
3- Place the argument -Xmx1024m before anything else, and then add "-NOSTREAM" with quotes to the end. For some reason I could never get the actual bat files to run correctly through MO.

Please note that this is stuff I figured out through trial, error and googling. Parts of it are probably not necessary and it may not work.

Edit: I just realized you didn't explicitly mention that you were using them for PerMa. Uh, whoops. The instructions should still mostly work, just change the subfolder to whatever it is you're using. The third part is probably not necessary if you're running literally anything other than PerMa, though.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 15, 2015

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Faldoncow posted:

Update mod organizer. A bug crept in MO 1.2.15/16 that prevented SkyProc patchers from working. MO 1.2.17 fixes it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

delta534 posted:

Update mod organizer. A bug crept in MO 1.2.15/16 that prevented SkyProc patchers from working. MO 1.2.17 fixes it.

Well now I just feel stupid for doing that whole workaround for a bug that would've been fixed if I wasn't too lazy to update.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Seashell Salesman posted:

Do you actually need to use a mod to disable the kill cam? It's been ages since I played this game but that doesn't seem right...

As far as I know, yes. SkyTweak can remove kill cams, but if you're talking about kill moves/executions then you'll need a mod like No Kill Moves to remove them. I installed it because I like trying to punch above my weight and use the SkyTweak ability where a perfectly timed block will negate all damage from an attack, but with enemy kill moves they would just execute you in the middle of a block or before they were even done recovering from a missed swing, you'd just instantly die and it was loving horrible.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

delta534 posted:

Thanks for the attempt to fix it Infinite Gaia, but thanks even more delta534. So simple of a fix, but I was nearly pulling my hair out over trying to get that to work.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHeG0wCkxE8

My Bob Ross mod made it into a Brodual video, dancing in the credits.

Lurker Above
Jun 17, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I hate that when I'm mashing to steal all the plates from a table, sometimes I mouse downwards and accidentally sit. Is there a mod that just removes the "sit" button from benches and chairs? I tried Googling it, but got buried under "sit anywhere" and various Hearthfire mods. gently caress sitting.

Here you go:

No more sitting
Also a couple of chairs/benches added by Dawnguard
And several added by Dragonborn
(Hearthfire only uses chairs and benches from the main game.)

I disabled the "sit" function of every chair and bench (except crafting benches). No more sitting. I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work fine. (The "Sit" prompt still shows up, but it just gives the "occupied" message instead of making you wait 10 seconds while you sit and then stand back up because you didn't want to sit in the first place.)

Caveats:
-Does not prevent sitting in anything that isn't a chair or bench. (I know there's a quest where you have to sit on a throne.)
-Might cause unforseen problems. (Is there anything other than that one quest that requires sitting?)
-Does not affect furniture added by mods.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lurker Above posted:

Here you go:

No more sitting
Also a couple of chairs/benches added by Dawnguard
And several added by Dragonborn
(Hearthfire only uses chairs and benches from the main game.)

I disabled the "sit" function of every chair and bench (except crafting benches). No more sitting. I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work fine. (The "Sit" prompt still shows up, but it just gives the "occupied" message instead of making you wait 10 seconds while you sit and then stand back up because you didn't want to sit in the first place.)

Caveats:
-Does not prevent sitting in anything that isn't a chair or bench. (I know there's a quest where you have to sit on a throne.)
-Might cause unforseen problems. (Is there anything other than that one quest that requires sitting?)
-Does not affect furniture added by mods.

I know Inigo wants you to sit for various parts of his quest. I think there's one quest in interesting NPCs that requires sitting too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
There's a point in the Companions questline where you need to sit on a regular chair.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So in the past, I've only really used mods like Cloaks of Skyrim, XCE, Frostfall and so on. Mods that add stuff that enhances vanilla. I think I'm going to do that again because I haven't finished the game. However I've been reading about the various different mods that affect perks and rebalancing for later playthroughs and I'm curious about what the consensus is about them. Mostly I'm looking at the differences between SPERG and SkyRE/Perkus Maximus. The former seems very lightweight while the latter seems really intrusive, but that's just from initial impressions.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

you're better off not being a loving lame bitch, idiot.

Morrowind is a sacred, holy game. Even installing MGSO is blasphemy.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

All hail the blocky models straight out of 1997, we revere the terrible default journal system and pray to the Bloodmoon assassins that kill you in your sleep at level 1.

E: The effect around my character was the Dragon Priest effect, and the steps in the OP of that thread Flagrant Abuse posted turned out to be the wrong way to do it. I had to add the Dragon Priest abilities spell and then remove it.

Bethesda :allears:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 15, 2015

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

So in the past, I've only really used mods like Cloaks of Skyrim, XCE, Frostfall and so on. Mods that add stuff that enhances vanilla. I think I'm going to do that again because I haven't finished the game. However I've been reading about the various different mods that affect perks and rebalancing for later playthroughs and I'm curious about what the consensus is about them. Mostly I'm looking at the differences between SPERG and SkyRE/Perkus Maximus. The former seems very lightweight while the latter seems really intrusive, but that's just from initial impressions.

Morrowind is a sacred, holy game. Even installing MGSO is blasphemy.

Pretty much this. SkyRE (old)/Perkus (new) both require skyproc patchers, and according to other posters in this thread once you start a Perkus playthrough you're stuck with whatever mods you had loaded.

Basically SPERG is the vanilla game but with better perks. SkyRE/Perkus make deep changes to various game mechanics beyond just altering perk trees.

Lurker Above
Jun 17, 2014

Agents are GO! posted:

I know Inigo wants you to sit for various parts of his quest. I think there's one quest in interesting NPCs that requires sitting too.

If you just need to be sitting anywhere for those, you could use a throne. If a particular chair from Skyrim.esm was made part of a quest... Well, you'd have to fire up the Creation Kit, load the location where the chair is to find its editor ID, then go into WorldObjects/Furniture and turn the Sit marker back on for that type of chair. (Or disable the mod and enable it again afterward? It doesn't use any scripts; not sure whether that means it'd be safe to do that.)

MaliciousOnion posted:

There's a point in the Companions questline where you need to sit on a regular chair.

Thanks for catching this! (Would've been annoying to find out the hard way.) I uploaded a new version that doesn't disable the unique chair used in that quest. I checked to make sure (ran through the quests in godmode), and you can start the dialogue with Kodlak now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Buried alive posted:

Pretty much this. SkyRE (old)/Perkus (new) both require skyproc patchers, and according to other posters in this thread once you start a Perkus playthrough you're stuck with whatever mods you had loaded.

Basically SPERG is the vanilla game but with better perks. SkyRE/Perkus make deep changes to various game mechanics beyond just altering perk trees.

I was, for a while, considering making PerMa the foundation of my next playthrough, but after a certain point in time, with all the other modding busywork I have laid out for myself, it just seemed like way too much loving work. Especially with all the issue people seem to have using the patcher. Some other things that bug me about PerMa that are a matter of taste: the designer like perks that add craftable things and active abilities, I don't. Also not a huge fan of the new weapon system.

Lighting Lord, I don't know of any comprehensive reviews but you can check out some of Gopher's videos dealing with PerMa (they're in here somewhere): https://www.youtube.com/user/GophersVids/videos, BroDual also had brief intro videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC8CHnymFhM

A buddy of mine who loved SkyRe seems to be really enjoying ParMa so there's that.

My only issue with SPERG is really a frustration of my own making, in that there's other perk tree overhauls that I'd like to use in the place of some of SPERG's, but I don't want to lose the auto-perk function, which means at some point I'll have to muck with making patches that set perks to be automatic at the same skill level as their SPERG analogs. That's just me though.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Changing load order is simple enough, but how do you guys deal with install order and all the merge/replace prompts Mod Organizer gives you. I have no idea what overwrites what or if I should start the process again. Complete Crafting Overhaul was a headache with this.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

Changing load order is simple enough, but how do you guys deal with install order and all the merge/replace prompts Mod Organizer gives you. I have no idea what overwrites what or if I should start the process again. Complete Crafting Overhaul was a headache with this.

Not really sure what you mean by "merge/replace prompts" but I generally don't deal with install order, which corresponds to the "mod order" in the left panel. MO sometimes has an alert basically saying that it's a good idea to make sure things are ordered there to match the load order (after running LOOT usually), but the newer versions have an option to work it out automatically. Otherwise, I will look and see whether there are suspicious overwrite notices (i.e., the lightning bolt icons). Worth specific attention are grey icons, because they indicate that non-plugin content is being completely overwritten by something else.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Bouchacha posted:

If a mod has a lightning bolt icon next to it with a Plus and/or Minus sign that means it's involved in a conflict, plus meaning that it's a conflict winner, minus meaning the opposite. If you right-click the mod, select Information from the bottom of the list, and go to the Conflicts tab, then you get a couple of file-by-file lists of what within the mod is conflicting and with what. You use this information to decide where each mod should go in your Install order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

When that prompt comes up installing a mod to MO the best option is to hit the rename button and give it a different name. This way it's easier to get the scripts in the right order and to make sure that patches properly overwrite other resources. If it's a minor upgrade patch you can merge unless the mod install instructions say otherwise. Overwrite is when you just want to completely re install the mod.

The left side of MO is the list of mods installed to MO. They have to be checked there to show up in game. The various thunderbolt icons tell you if something is being overwritten or if the mod is overwriting something. you can hover the icon to get an explanation of it. You can get a list of what is in conflict by double clicking on the mod and going to the conflicts tab. The order of the mods on the left is the order of install if you had installed everything manually.

The right side is your standard mod load order and is best controlled by loot until you get a feel of how mods should be ordered.

• Locked thread