Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So apparently Lucina's matchup against Marth's pretty abysmal, somewhere around 35:65 in Marth's favour

Which is kind of expected, they both play the same type of spacing game except he gets the extra reward for it, but then I read this

and suddenly I'm :psyduck: as all hell

I'd imagine that matchup evens out considerably with custom moves on and/or items, but yeah; Lucina has a horrible time against Marth on a competitive level.

(Doesn't help her case that Marth generally does 25% more damage and knockback than her if he hits with the tip and therefore kills earlier, while she generally only has a 12.5% advantage in damage and knockback over him when he whiffs the tippers.)

(And also that Marth's attacks are slightly less punishable than Lucina's in general.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
The neat thing about Marth's tipper is that there are situations when you don't always want the knockback (combo strings, etc) so it's not always optimal to get them, which makes Lucina even worse considering how you don't really have a choice of knockback for Lucina.

Though her upsmash is better because there's a glitch with it that doesn't give her even damage on her blade, but rather full marth tipper knockback along the whole thing for the first frame its out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

The neat thing about Marth's tipper is that there are situations when you don't always want the knockback (combo strings, etc) so it's not always optimal to get them, which makes Lucina even worse considering how you don't really have a choice of knockback for Lucina.

Though her upsmash is better because there's a glitch with it that doesn't give her even damage on her blade, but rather full marth tipper knockback along the whole thing for the first frame its out.

It's the one thing she's got :negative:

Where can I read more about these secret techniques

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Reinanigans posted:

Played Classic on 9.0 with Bowser for about three hours last night, got to Master Hand 3 times without dying. On attempt number 3, I loving finally beat all of Master Cores forms without losing a life. Then what happened? I loving die inside the Master Fortress for the first time since the very first time I played it. :what:

But at least I know I'm capable of doing it now. God drat is Classic utter bullshit.

How many of you guys have actually bothered with this bullshit challenge? I'd like to hear some words of encouragement before I try this again tonight.

It's pretty easy with Dedede, his gordos (plus the toss itself) get multiple hits on the bosses and absolutely tear through their life meters, and you can gordo snipe some of the cores in the fortress easy enough. Gordo supremacy

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's the one thing she's got :negative:

Where can I read more about these secret techniques

smashboards dot com is a pretty good website for smash brothers information

Water-Raccoon
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Reinanigans posted:

Played Classic on 9.0 with Bowser for about three hours last night, got to Master Hand 3 times without dying. On attempt number 3, I loving finally beat all of Master Cores forms without losing a life. Then what happened? I loving die inside the Master Fortress for the first time since the very first time I played it. :what:

But at least I know I'm capable of doing it now. God drat is Classic utter bullshit.

How many of you guys have actually bothered with this bullshit challenge? I'd like to hear some words of encouragement before I try this again tonight.

For Bowser, a big thing is to remember that his default grounded Down-B, if it's blocked, is a guaranteed shieldbreak(at least from my observations). Abuse, abuse, abuse, because the AI will bullshit you at the first opportunity. It also has MUCH more range than meets the eye, and I think it's a natural combo. Don't bother with fire breath, they'll just roll through it or just rush you as you recover. A fantastic move I felt was quite worthwhile is his Side-B 3, the Koopa Klaw(or whatever it's called), where he dashes forward and swipes. This can be very useful for recovery(if I remember, it doesn't put you into a helpless state!) and it has a VERY generous hitbox and surprising startup, with very solid knockback and damage on top. Give it a try, you'll probably like it. Also lol wavelands.

As far as the Master Forms, I wasn't quite proficient enough to no-death clear it with him, but if you can read the animations, I see no reason he just can't bruise his way through it. For the Fortress, remember that grabs are very useful to dislodge enemies in problem spots that either keep guarding or are just near enough danger zones to toss into. It's faster than relying on your tilts and smashes. Your Forward-Air is solid at damage on static objects, and isn't too bad on recovery, so feel free to go nuts on the cores that are out of Up-Smash reach.

If you're up for trying something new though, I did that challenge with MEGA MAN of all characters, and if you want to give the Way of Blue(Bomber) a go, my recommendation is pretty standard; load up on defense, HRB-cheese if you've got it, but also remember that Mega Man's vertical recovery is pretty dope. If you ever get forced into an FFA where you feel uncomfortable with the enemies ganging up on you and the level permits it, you can play almost exclusively off-stage and just watch the cheating CPUs hit each other with friendly-fire while all seven try to edgeguard you. Remember your walljump, crash-bomb explosions and footstool shenanigans because you're Mega Man. Also, the AI seems ill-equipped to handle Up-Smash spam from Mega Man, because they keep trying to land near you and get vacuumed into it. They will eventually move away, but it's usually okay for anywhere between 24-40%, more on heavies.

Metal Blade RUINS Master Forms in no time flat(multi-hits like crazy and must have a damage multiplier of some kind because I went through the dog in probably 10-15 seconds and took virtually zero damage) and does so even faster if you throw it at your feet and just manually hurl it(rather than using it as a B-move).

If you notice the swords are being a bit passive, be careful, they may be saving up for that bullshit 'glint' attack(you see a flash of gold and then a huge-launch swipe occurs) to catch you in the middle of an attack, which can easily KO you. Metal Blade if you think you can't bair them safely.

Maybe I just got lucky but the Master Clone fight was braindead easy because, again the enemy AI seems to have trouble with the vacuum effect Mega's Up-Smash has.

As for Master Fortress, just play Mega Man instead of Smash Bros and you'll be fine. Remember to use that Super Arm to open up guarding enemies and exploit danger zones.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Today is the last day to register Smash 3DS and Wii U with club nintendo to get the bonus soundtrack cd if you haven't already.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Why would you try to make 2 characters the same? Should have made Lucina a skin for Marth. God drat Sakurai hosed up all over the place with this game. It just seems logical yet Lucina is used as a character slot, where Wendy, Robin and Alph are skins.

Makes no sense.
Lucina was a skin for Marth, but they had some extra time and she was really popular so Sakurai gave her some tweaks and made her a separate character.

Same for Dark Pit, except there were specific technical limitations where you couldn't have a character skin with different attack animations. So they just made him his own character too.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Hey just so you guys know I just entered my Club Nintendo codes just now and was still able to claim the soundtrack. So if you haven't registered your games yet, get your poo poo in RIGHT NOW. I know it says it ended on the 13th, but I guess I was able to redeem mine anyway - I got an order number and everything.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Lucina was a skin for Marth, but they had some extra time and she was really popular so Sakurai gave her some tweaks and made her a separate character.

Which was great and a thing I liked, except the tweaks made her mechanically worse all around

like Roy was also worse but they at least stuck a bunch of fire to his sword and people loved that

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 15, 2015

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, gently caress that guy. Why is he even making games? My 7 year old nephew could make better games than that stupid shitbag! I swear literally all Sakurai does is try to make the game as unfun as possible, he really hates us pro players.
:goonsay:

comon dude..

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which was great and a thing I liked, except the tweaks made her mechanically worse all around

like Roy was also worse but they at least stuck a bunch of fire to his sword and people loved that
I mean, Brawl should be evidence enough that they only balance test at a very superficial level.

If anything, I'd be more surprised if Lucina had an average win rate against Marth, because then it might have meant they actually cared about balance.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lucina is very  cool and I believe in her.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

it would be rad if lucina was actually faster than marth like people were incorrectly saying when she first came out

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

it would be rad if lucina was actually faster than marth like people were incorrectly saying when she first came out

Yeah, or if her grabs were different.

If Lucina had non-awful grabs I could see that being something to differentiate her from Marth.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Marth's grab range used to be so good too. They're both kind of a joke now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

Marth's grab range used to be so good too. They're both kind of a joke now.

It's about where the grabs send people, too. Marth and Lucina have essentially 0 solid follow-ups to a grab, which was something Marth was really really good at previously.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vist is such a good Luigi. Ridiculous how slip and slide-y he is in Melee. Love me some Luigi

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I just played my first Diddy online...What the ever living gently caress is all I really gotta say.

his throw can turn 0% into 40% after he bairs you 4 times, and starting at like 70% he can throw > uair for a stock. And all of his aerials are incredibly spammable so unless you touch him with a stick he will always win every air fight.

What the gently caress is this bullshit character

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NTT posted:

What the gently caress is this bullshit character

Sakurai's vision

E: and they're probably not patching it either

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 15, 2015

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's so easy to shield that characters with long windups on most of their moves just seem to be at a huge disadvantage. I remember watching that Ike enthusiast play on that stream and all he did was run around and be hard to hit and pray to the lord Jesus Christ that someone would use an attack that left them open long enough for him to manage to hit them

e; Rob and ZSS also seem a tad overbearing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Rob's alright but he's not on the level ZSS and Diddy are, it's possible the really good players are just out in force tonight.

E: just watched a tournament match where the commentators marvelled at a whopping 20% damage combo. Please please bring on more techs like Falco's instant DAir cancel

E:E: what was causing you problems re: Rob? Lasers and tops?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 15, 2015

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
He just had a lot of combos ready to go for me. If I got punished, I ate at least 2 attacks. In particular, this guy liked to spam grabs and then toss me up + uair. I just need to get used to grab spammers and figure out a way to deal with them i guess. They're usually the type that likes to just hold down shield from the moment you leave the ground until the moment you land because for the life of me it's almost impossible to approach a standing dude as Shulk with an aerial, you just get grabbed once every 2 seconds and you have to figure out how to get back onto the platform since you can't actually attack them on your way back down since you eat a shield>grab every single fuckin time.

I've gotten some success by baiting out the shield and fast falling into a grab point blank, but even then they can technically grab first, it just catches people by surprise once or twice. After that, There's just no way to beat them to the grab and you're forced to land nowhere near them

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shulk can jump over the shielding opponent before he neutral airs, and it starts down and behind him so it's perfect for pressuring their shield without risking a grab to punish you.

E: Are you approaching in speed form? Speed is your best bet if they're shielding a lot, and in general it's probably Shulk's best form for the neutral game.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 15, 2015

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I've been practicing my perfect pivots all night, and I was still in that mode when I ran into this guy and got steamrolled. It's frustratingly hard to do. If I was able to map my right stick to moving like my left one I could probably do it way easier, but I checked the control scheme, and I'm not allowed to :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Alright recently I got hacked my email address I use to subscribe to gaming. A Rosalina Fan Support Group hacked me and told me what they wanted from me so they gave back my email. If I don't do what they said they will take back my email. I now have to be a member of the Rosalina Fan Movement and also make a video.

The whole summary of it can be shown in the comments section of this video. However, this doesn't mean you can draw anymore fanart with me or ship me with Rosalina. I am tired of that poo poo and I saw the Pootytanga and Peach poo poo fanart of me and it makes me pissed. I don't want to be any fanart with these loving hentai poo poo.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

NTT posted:

I've been practicing my perfect pivots all night, and I was still in that mode when I ran into this guy and got steamrolled. It's frustratingly hard to do. If I was able to map my right stick to moving like my left one I could probably do it way easier, but I checked the control scheme, and I'm not allowed to :(

I don't know how knowledgable you are coming into smash but it sounds like you're making things way harder for yourself than they need to be. Relax and work on your fundamentals. Find a short-hop aerial that has no landing lag for an approach tool, and learn to spot dodge grabs and then punish with a tilt. Perfect pivots sound like they're not going to help you until you have a good sense of how your guy's moves all work and fit together first.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
In general, if you're in the air and they are on the ground, try to avoid being aggressive at all. Unless you're a character with a command grab (Wario's Bite, Bowser's Koopa Klaw and, surprise, Diddy's Monkey Flip), nothing you do in the air can beat shield and you'll just get grabbed for trying. Same goes if they are on a platform and you are beneath them: they can hold shield and there's nothing you can do to beat that (although that position is in your favour because short hop-something can pressure and weaken their shield really easily, forcing them to get off - and put themselves in the air while you're on the ground.)

Perfect Pivoting is a new tech and likely won't see a lot of use for some time. On top of being much harder to do than wavedashing, you typically don't get much bang for your buck. It's a useful skill to learn now and you'll be ahead of the curve in a year's time, but unless you see yourself playing For Glory or even tournaments a year from now, you probably shouldn't bother.

I don't play either Shulk or Diddy, but a peek at the Shulk boards on Smashboards say the Shulk mains believe the match up is strongly in Diddy's favour (roughly 65-35). This is probably the best video available detailing the match up. The only time he goes Shulk goes so poorly that he switches to Charizard for the rest of the set. You should strongly consider a secondary :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Also perfect pivots are super-easy and intuitive.

For an advancing F-Smash facing left out of a Perfect Pivot, just slam the L-stick left, then slam the L-stick right immediately while simultaneously slamming the R-stick left.

For an advancing F-Smash facing right, just slam the L-stick right, then slam the L-stick left immediately while simultaneously slamming the R-stick right.

Everything else is a variation on that. I could shoot, like, a hand-cam video or something, if that would help.

The point is, the timing's not strict and the inputs are simple and memorable. It's still tech-y-er than Smash "should be", but it's not L-cancelling or wavedashing or whatever.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

NTT posted:

perfect pivoting is Yet Another Gay Advanced Technique that came from smashboards.

ever since brawl came out, smashboards was infested with "oh, melee was awesome because of wave dashing! Let's point our sticks in random directions until something weird happens and film it, call it wave something, put it on youtube, and post a thread."

perfect pivoting is the sm4sh equivalent.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's called Zaw Dancing please respect its founder.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Alright recently I got hacked my email address I use to subscribe to gaming. A Rosalina Fan Support Group hacked me and told me what they wanted from me so they gave back my email. If I don't do what they said they will take back my email. I now have to be a member of the Rosalina Fan Movement and also make a video.

The whole summary of it can be shown in the comments section of this video. However, this doesn't mean you can draw anymore fanart with me or ship me with Rosalina. I am tired of that poo poo and I saw the Pootytanga and Peach poo poo fanart of me and it makes me pissed. I don't want to be any fanart with these loving hentai poo poo.

Stay safe.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

I mean, Brawl should be evidence enough that they only balance test at a very superficial level.

If anything, I'd be more surprised if Lucina had an average win rate against Marth, because then it might have meant they actually cared about balance.

This is apparently how they balanced Mario vs. Doc Mario. I think Lucina/Marth they straight up didn't have time, they even have the same customs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good videos of Falco in competitive play? Like, preferably winning?

I can play him fairly well now, but I guess play him a bit like a gimped Captain Falcon or something. I wonder what he's capable of, but so far I've tried watching Replay Channel matches 1v1 For Glory and they all end up with Falco losing, often 2 - 0 :negative:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If you must play a space animal, play Fox. Fox is really fun in this game. Instant air fox illusions! Jab frametraps! Upsmash your friends!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sade posted:

If you must play a space animal, play Fox. Fox is really fun in this game. Instant air fox illusions! Jab frametraps! Upsmash your friends!

Does Fox look like this?

No? Then forget about it :colbert:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't remember Falco being that good in 4 :/. I think fox is the better character (kinda like the Marth vs lucina discussion) so if you like his play style just go with fox

I hear you though, as Falco is a bad rear end looking birdman

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If I wanted a good character I'd play King Dedede or Captain Falcon or something, but that's easy and everyone else is doing it :colbert:
(If I struggle beating someone I always switch to Dedede and murder them, hail to the king)

I'm very aware that Falco is an avarage or sub-par character, but surely he has some tricks up his sleeve that I can learn from watching some pros. I'm already getting adept at :airquote: Reverse Aerial Rush :airquote:, but there must be more.

bef posted:

I hear you though, as Falco is a bad rear end looking birdman

:agreed:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is apparently how they balanced Mario vs. Doc Mario. I think Lucina/Marth they straight up didn't have time, they even have the same customs.

Which is fine, but they should patch it once they have time post release.

Your Computer posted:

If I wanted a good character I'd play King Dedede or Captain Falcon or something, but that's easy and everyone else is doing it :colbert:
(If I struggle beating someone I always switch to Dedede and murder them, hail to the king)

I'm very aware that Falco is an avarage or sub-par character, but surely he has some tricks up his sleeve that I can learn from watching some pros. I'm already getting adept at :airquote: Reverse Aerial Rush :airquote:, but there must be more.

:agreed:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spHWz-9F7cQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No way :aaa:

GET SOME.

• Locked thread