Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sweet Gulch posted:

We've been having a few bouts of this with our 4.5 month old. In his case, I think he's just being extra sensitive since he's teething - if we miss his early nap/sleep cues he now goes into nuclear meltdown. It doesn't help that my milk supply is going down (as planned) and he's suddenly decided that all formula and most thawed breastmilk is unacceptable. Stopping exclusive pumping was supposed to be LESS stressful, ugh.

We're at 5 months now and are experience the same sleep issues. Not really napping, but melting down pretty regularly. Her night sleep is going ok though. Although she's back into the "wake up every 2.5 hours to feed" mode.

As for that rocker, that thing is the BEST. Someone got us one, but never really told us how awesome it is. We tried an heirloom bassinet we had, but Eleanor did not like that at all. We put her in that rocker and it was golden. We did like 2 or 3 months of that thing. It was great. And then transitioning to crib sleep (in our room, we're moving her to her own room this weekend) went flawlessly.

We're finally about to wean down the breastfeeding which my wife is sad about (she actually turned out to really like it despite our near quitting right at the beginning) and excited about (because it means she can now do the "your turn!" thing when it's time for night feedings... even though I get up with her every time anyway).

We've also started doing 1st stage foods a few times a week and she instantly took to it with zero trouble at all. So that's exciting too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

BonoMan posted:

We're finally about to wean down the breastfeeding which my wife is sad about (she actually turned out to really like it despite our near quitting right at the beginning)

Yay, I remember you! I'm so happy it worked out for you guys :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Alterian posted:

Ours would not sleep in the co sleeper for the first month. We had to get one of these. http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-deluxe-newborn-rock-n-play-sleeper-my-little-snugamonkey/-/A-14069814

This is the best drat thing ever when it comes to baby sleep. My son wouldn't really sleep worth a drat in anything else for the first 6 months of his life.

We were visiting family and he had a giant assplosion in it, it was going to be down for a day for cleaning and drying. My wife looked at me and told me to find another one, NOW. I managed to find one in stock at a Walmart 20 something miles away at 1AM and gladly paid full price for it to get another one. He stopped sleeping in it 3 weeks later and it was still worth every penny.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're still waffling on having another kid so I did get rid of some baby things that wouldn't be that huge of a pain to rebuy and weren't too expensive but I am keeping our monkey bed.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

jassi007 posted:

Our little guy is/was an eater also. Little dude is 18 months and 31.5 pounds. My 3.5 year old is 34 pounds.

Hahaha, my nephew is 9 months and 32 pounds! At least he's relatively tall (long?), though. I'd be worried, but his dad was the exact same way and lost all his baby fat by 3.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Sleeping on their stomach: Our 5 month old is rolling over at this point and when we put her down to sleep she typically whines a bit, then rolls over onto her stomach and puts her hands under her head and falls asleep. It's totally adorable and I guess it's more comfortable for her because she goes to sleep pretty quick once she's on her stomach.

But of course we all know the recommendation to prevent SIDS and not let them sleep on their stomachs. If she's napping (and thus we can monitor her) we let her sleep on her stomach. If it's nighttime and we're all going to bed, we try to roll her over (which usually leads to waking, crying for a while, then finally getting back to sleep).

Is that the best course of action?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Sleeping on their stomach: Our 5 month old is rolling over at this point and when we put her down to sleep she typically whines a bit, then rolls over onto her stomach and puts her hands under her head and falls asleep. It's totally adorable and I guess it's more comfortable for her because she goes to sleep pretty quick once she's on her stomach.

But of course we all know the recommendation to prevent SIDS and not let them sleep on their stomachs. If she's napping (and thus we can monitor her) we let her sleep on her stomach. If it's nighttime and we're all going to bed, we try to roll her over (which usually leads to waking, crying for a while, then finally getting back to sleep).

Is that the best course of action?

Our pediatrician said that, as long as we put him on his back initially, where he chooses to go from there is up to him. He emphasized nothing in the crib except for the mattress with a sheet on it and no more swaddling.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah once the babies can roll themselves around the "sleep only on the back" advice no longer applies the same way. Start them on their back, keep out stuff that can smother them from the crib, and don't sweat it when they inevitably migrate all over the crib.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And migrate is the perfect word for it. Expect head bumps that sound like she went through the wall but don't even wake her.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Thwomp posted:

And migrate is the perfect word for it. Expect head bumps that sound like she went through the wall but don't even wake her.

How do they bang their heads so many times in the middle of the night without making a peep?! I don't understand!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thwomp posted:

Haha. At this point she loves to lift her legs up as high as she can, hold them there for a second or two, and then SLAM them down as hard as poo poo in the middle of the night. It's hilariously loud.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
thanks, thread. We were almost looking at one of those mamaroo things but she just doesn't care for the cosleeper. I see that thing linked above is a hell of a lot cheaper.

also, how soon is tummy time/crawling? I put our two week old on her stomach for a few seconds to test because she can almost roll over and even though she can't keep her head up continually she was doing crawling motions with legs and hands unsupported.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

thanks, thread. We were almost looking at one of those mamaroo things but she just doesn't care for the cosleeper. I see that thing linked above is a hell of a lot cheaper.

also, how soon is tummy time/crawling? I put our two week old on her stomach for a few seconds to test because she can almost roll over and even though she can't keep her head up continually she was doing crawling motions with legs and hands unsupported.

It doesn't really hurt as far as i recall to start doing tummy time even that early, the whole thing is it has to be 100% supervised until they can safely and reliably push up with their hands/roll over. They can suffocate because their diaphragm isn't strong enough to breathe when they're on their tummy. They can also get their face buried in the carpet/blanket and suffocate. Just be attentive.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Re: Crawling - every baby is different and will reach crawling whenever they are ready.

Anecdotally, my boss' son is 5 months and lunging on the ground so he'll be crawling in a few weeks. She was an early crawler as a baby though so there's that. My son, 6 months, isn't quite there (maybe because he's content to roll loving everywhere) but can get up on hands and knees. And then my nephew didn't crawl until just short of his 1st birthday. All of these are okay.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Thwomp posted:

Re: Crawling - every baby is different and will reach crawling whenever they are ready.

Anecdotally, my boss' son is 5 months and lunging on the ground so he'll be crawling in a few weeks. She was an early crawler as a baby though so there's that. My son, 6 months, isn't quite there (maybe because he's content to roll loving everywhere) but can get up on hands and knees. And then my nephew didn't crawl until just short of his 1st birthday. All of these are okay.

Yup my youngest boy, I swear he was lazy as poo poo. he just didn't want to move. He got tired of watching his older brother play though so about 10-11 months he got his rear end movin.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Choadmaster posted:

Hahaha, my nephew is 9 months and 32 pounds!

Haha, oh my god, and my itty bitty 1,5 year old has finally passed 20 pounds! (21 now!) Whenever I lift one one of her little friends the same age, I feel like they're made of lead compared to her, it's ridiculous.

Re sleep migraters: If they sleep through it, no problem, but my kid would get her feet stuck between the bars of her crib and wake up, so we put her in a sleepsack, they're amazing. Keeps them covered and limits stuck limbs to arms, which she generally managed to remove herself.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm a big guy and I get tired of holding him after a few minutes. I don't know how his mother does it!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Choadmaster posted:

I'm a big guy and I get tired of holding him after a few minutes. I don't know how his mother does it!

It's like an ongoing excersise program with a squirmy dumbbell of gradually increasing weight, so you pretty much adapt to carry your particular kid. Mums of toddlers may have squishy stomachs and junk in the trunk, but they've got amazingly toned arms.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Mine was doing that at 2-3ish weeks. She'd try to get her knees up under her butt and kick out to try to scoot forward on her face. She also rolled randomly once or twice. Don't expect it to happen quickly though - Elly is 5 months now and is just getting the hang of rolling over (she's mastered back to front going leftward) and though she seems to want to move she's not near crawling yet. Also - tummy time is great but don't push it too hard to start with if they don't like it. She hated it when she was 1-2 months, but in the last couple she's come to love it. Except for sleeping. Why oh why must she roll onto her front when she doesn't want to sleep there?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thwomp posted:

Exactly, every kid is different. My oldest skipped crawling for the most part. She maybe crawled around for a week then started teeter tottering everywhere. My youngest crawled for months zooming after his sister.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

skipdogg posted:

Exactly, every kid is different. My oldest skipped crawling for the most part. She maybe crawled around for a week then started teeter tottering everywhere. My youngest crawled for months zooming after his sister.

my daughter didn't walk until after a year, because she was a drat fast crawler. she'll be 2 in march and now she runs and jumps and poo poo.

rule of thumb: If your pediatrician isn't worried, you shouldn't be.

2nd rule of thumb: Ignore mommy Olympics types. "Well, JAYY'DEN was crawling at 3 months...."

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
A word of advice on tummy time: if they have a habit of spitting up, keep a towel close by or they will faceplant into it. My youngest hated it for that reason. He tolerates it more now that we have an activity pillow that we can put under his arms and chest.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

McStabby posted:

He tolerates it more now that we have an activity pillow that we can put under his arms and chest.

I totally understood my kid's hatred towards tummy time after we did this exercise at my postpartum Mensendieck class:

It sucks! But for her the turning point was simply when she finally got strong enough to lift her head properly and get a little leverage with her arms. She suddenly realised the point of this apparently inhumane torture - now she had a proper view of things, and could engage with the world much better than when she was flat on her back.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I need advice. We're about to have another baby, and our good friends are going to let our three year old sleep over there at least one night while we're in the hospital. Our friends have kids of their own, with the youngest the same age as our daughter.

In my opinion our friends have poor judgment when it comes to entertainment, permitting their kids to watch scary movies and have unsupervised access to Youtube. I'm not too worried that the parents will willingly sit my daughter down to watch a zombie movie, but they do let their kids hang out on their own and it's the older two siblings I worry about. They certainly aren't malicious but I could see them thinking it would be funny to show our daughter something to scare her, or just playing a movie or show for their own entertainment without considering my girl.

What would you do? These are my best friends, and their kids are like nephews to me. I don't want to offend them though by saying, "Hey please don't let my daughter watch some poo poo that will give her nightmares" but I want to make sure my daughter doesn't come home scarred with things she has seen.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 9, 2015

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

me your dad posted:

I need advice. We're about to have another baby, and our good friends are going to let our three year old sleep over there at least one night while we're in the hospital. Our friends have kids of their own, with the youngest the same age as our daughter.

In my opinion our friends have poor judgment when it comes to entertainment, permitting their kids to watch scary movies and have unsupervised access to Youtube. I'm not too worried that the parents will willingly sit my daughter down to watch a zombie movie, but they do let their kids hang out on their own and it's the older two siblings I worry about. They certainly aren't malicious but I could see them thinking it would be funny to show our daughter something to scare her, or just playing a movie or show for their own entertainment without considering my girl.

What would you do? These are my best friends, and their kids are like nephews to me. I don't want to offend them though by saying, "Hey please don't let my daughter watch some poo poo that will give her nightmares" but I want to make sure my daughter doesn't come home scarred with things she has seen.

For one night, I think you might be overblowing this a little bit. From the relatively mundane description you give, the likelyhood of anything happening that would cause a real problem is probably extremely low.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

me your dad posted:

Sever

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Consider it done.

Okay so I'm worried over nothing. That's good to know.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

me your dad posted:

how old are their kids? I'd need to know that before I could tell you if their judgment is really "questionable"

If you truly question their judgment, then why would you trust them with your kid? But it's not really a fair leap to assume that because, say, they let an 8 year old boy watch nightmare on elm street, or a 15 year old boy watch game of thrones (which you might not do with your child, but isn't really "wrong" just a different parenting choice) that they would let your 3 year old binge watch the walking dead.

you're probably worried about the new baby and are creating other things to worry about to deflect the stress. Let it go. kid will be fine.

And if you're that worried, phrase it in terms of "our daughter is really worried about her mommy, so I think it would help if she had a lot of story book time, and here are some of her favorite movies to comfort her." That way you somewhat control the activities without coming across as questioning their parenting.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 9, 2015

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, parenting story: I get a permission slip home for the DARE program. Having fond memories from my own youth, I went ahead and looked up the efficacy of DARE programs, and found NIH studies from 1991 through 2009 that say that the program has a "less than small" effect on any of the stated goals.
So, I fired off a 3 line e-mail saying "NIH studies indicate that the program is ineffective in any of the stated goals, what are the alternatives if my child chooses not to participate in the program?".
Turns out, the alternatives are that the teacher forwards the e-mail to the Principal, and I get a 30 minute daytime phone call from the principal, 29 of those minutes spent not answering the question, and offers to make appointments with the officer in charge of the program, and the school psychologist.
If for some reason I don't get the hint by then, my kid can sit in the principals office and write essays instead of going to health class for the rest of the semester.

Interesting how much administration springs into action, if you mistake a permission slip for a question.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Heh, I thought I'd read they actually had negative effects (DARE: "Now kids, everyone is going to tell you drugs are cool and make you feel good but [exaggerations and bullshit]." Kid's brain: *Wait, drugs are cool and make you feel good?!*). Good to know it's just a waste of time, I guess.

One high schooler I was tutoring a couple years back told me about his school starting up a drug-dog-random-search system on campus (hey ActusRhesus, how is that constitutional?) and during the intro assembly, the police officers explained that drug dogs are 100% accurate and never make a mistake - that if a kid does no drugs, he's got nothing to worry about, but they'll be sure to catch all the rest. I kinda get trying to fill elementary schoolers up with hyperbole (eh, lies) since there's a chance they'll believe you. Do it to kids that are old enough to know better and they just lose all respect for you.

In baby-related news, on the flip side of all the people complaining their holiday guests brought their children gifts of disease, my friends and I had been avoiding my brother's house for a few weeks because we had the flu and didn't want to get my nephew sick. Got a call from him the other day complaining he'd not seen us for a while and he invited us over for lunch. Turns out baby was in the middle of battling some barftastic GI bug, and now everyone in my household has gotten hit too. :argh: Babies! :argh:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Choadmaster posted:

In baby-related news, on the flip side of all the people complaining their holiday guests brought their children gifts of disease, my friends and I had been avoiding my brother's house for a few weeks because we had the flu and didn't want to get my nephew sick. Got a call from him the other day complaining he'd not seen us for a while and he invited us over for lunch. Turns out baby was in the middle of battling some barftastic GI bug, and now everyone in my household has gotten hit too. :argh: Babies! :argh:

haha, thats funny. Man this kid is sick and driving me crazy, I know i'll invite people over to share the misery! Mission accomplished.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

One high schooler I was tutoring a couple years back told me about his school starting up a drug-dog-random-search system on campus (hey ActusRhesus, how is that constitutional?) and during the intro assembly, the police officers explained that drug dogs are 100% accurate and never make a mistake - that if a kid does no drugs, he's got nothing to worry about, but they'll be sure to catch all the rest. I kinda get trying to fill elementary schoolers up with hyperbole (eh, lies) since there's a chance they'll believe you. Do it to kids that are old enough to know better and they just lose all respect for you.

School get away with things that would otherwise be 4th amendment violations for a number of reasons:

1. In loco parentis duty to keep students safe
2. students do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in school property
3. because gently caress you kids, we said so.

Check out New Jersey vs. Either TLO or TRO I can't remember the kid's initials. It's the big case on schools and 4th amendment.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had drug dog searches at my high school back in the 90's.

The whole lying to kids to make them do the right thing but it doesn't work is definitely true. I remember my mom telling me that she never tried drugs or drank or had sex until she was married so I should never ever ever do those things. I found out that was pretty much all a lie when I was in middle school and lost a lot of respect for her and felt I could never really talk to her about serious issues.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
We've all been sick in various combinations since early December. GI things, cold like things, fever things, garbage.

So, Liam has an ear infection right now. We started meds yesterday. During the night, he was up a lot because of pain. We cuddled while waiting for the ibuprofen to work. He asked if I could stay in his room for a long time--of course I can. Rubbed his back while he wimpered and cried, poor thing. He pulled my palm under his face and went to sleep on my hand. I just sat there for a bit, sort of enjoying the moment of actually providing Mom Comfort to my unhappy three year old. Had a feels. Then, he says (eyes closed, after several minutes of silence), "..grumble something...just as soon as you get out of here!" Um, what? I said, "Do you want me to leave now?" and with his eyes closed still, he rolls over and says angrily "Yes! I can't sleep with you in here!" (Sounds like "Yesth! I can't sweep wif you in here!)

I thought the whole situation, and turn of mood, summed up parenting in a nutshell. ;)

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Oh man, all hell is going to break loose when I run out of frozen breastmilk. I'm still pumping four times a day, but it's not quite enough - I was planning to supplement with formula, but my son has decided formula is Evil Posion Milk. Last night I didn't have anything thawed, so while my husband warmed some up I tried to give the baby formula. This resulted in thirty minutes of inconsolable crying. It wasn't too hot, it was mixed correctly, and we've tried two brands in both powder and liquid. He's five months, and at his immunizations the nurse suggested giving it to him in a sippy cup. I wonder if that will make drinking formula novel enough to work, or if it'll put him off sippy cups for the forseeable future. Sigh. Guess I'll have to start mixing formula and breastmilk, but I don't want any wasted. :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Kid was sleeping great but after getting rid of his crib side because he was about to start climbing out, he now just wants to go out and keep playing. A fifteen minute bedtime routine has become an hour and a half and he gets up multiple times most nights.

We've reverted to cry it out, which works and puts him to bed in fifteen minutes, but dear God it is so much worse now that instead of crying noises he knows words and is shouting "Mommy daddy! Mommy daddy! Out! Get down! Mommy! Daddy! No no no no!" like his room is on fire.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Sweet Gulch posted:

Oh man, all hell is going to break loose when I run out of frozen breastmilk. I'm still pumping four times a day, but it's not quite enough - I was planning to supplement with formula, but my son has decided formula is Evil Posion Milk. Last night I didn't have anything thawed, so while my husband warmed some up I tried to give the baby formula. This resulted in thirty minutes of inconsolable crying. It wasn't too hot, it was mixed correctly, and we've tried two brands in both powder and liquid. He's five months, and at his immunizations the nurse suggested giving it to him in a sippy cup. I wonder if that will make drinking formula novel enough to work, or if it'll put him off sippy cups for the forseeable future. Sigh. Guess I'll have to start mixing formula and breastmilk, but I don't want any wasted. :(

It actually *can* make it different enough to get them to drink it, sometimes. If it's in this kind of container, it's supposed to taste like THIS. Different container, different taste? Ok. No guarantees it will work, but for some it does.

In other news, my kid had strabismus surgery on monday and he's super metal now. Went back to school on Wednesday and was wildly popular with the other first graders for having eyes that are "SUPER GROSS AND COOL!"
Monday:
Yesterday:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

I said earlier that we hadn't killed my cancer-riddled chemo-weakened mother with a baby plague during Christmas, but then she got sick :( Turns out my daughter gave her RS-virus for Christmas, and now she's had her next round of chemo postponed by three weeks because her body has been weakened by the infection. I feel like absolute poo poo, but she's taking it in stride and insists that it was worth it for getting to spend time with her granddaughter (we live in a different part of the country).

Stupid cancer :(

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Sockmuppet posted:

Stupid cancer :(

Well, I had to order in some lovely overpriced Chinese food last night and then I nearly vomited. I think I win this one. :colbert:

Best of luck to your mom. Don't feel too guilty about it; literally every person I know has managed to get sick this winter from one source or another (often twice, like me), and and grandbaby-disease is more worthwhile than supermarket-cashier-disease.

In related news, my town had a pertussis outbreak (this is CA so it was of the hippy nature-knows-best variety, not the conservative God-knows-best variety) and a baby just died of it. The anti-vaxxers are out in force on local forums trying to justify themselves and I just can't loving fathom it. Get your vaccinations, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Choadmaster posted:

Well, I had to order in some lovely overpriced Chinese food last night and then I nearly vomited. I think I win this one. :colbert:

Best of luck to your mom. Don't feel too guilty about it; literally every person I know has managed to get sick this winter from one source or another (often twice, like me), and and grandbaby-disease is more worthwhile than supermarket-cashier-disease.

In related news, my town had a pertussis outbreak (this is CA so it was of the hippy nature-knows-best variety, not the conservative God-knows-best variety) and a baby just died of it. The anti-vaxxers are out in force on local forums trying to justify themselves and I just can't loving fathom it. Get your vaccinations, people.

Haha, thank you :) We're having a pertussis outbreak here as well, for the same reason, thankfully no dead babies yet. There are people in their 60s today who lost siblings to childhood diseases that vaccines now protect us again. It must be such a slap in the face to see people throwing away all the progress we've made due to selfishness and a total ignorance of what is still recent history. The US actually managed to eradicate measles in the year 2000! Now it's back, there were around 650 cases in 2014.