Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You guys are right about how I should play some games with these things first before I go off the rails with purchases. My main concern at this point is having a balanced amount for both rebels and empire. I guess since the game's balanced to begin with it doesn't really matter on the ships themselves but more on their respective loadouts and how someone uses them in game, right?

I'll skip out on the Lambda and Outrider for now since ya, I've been eyeing up the Decimator. Though, I still sort of want a second b-wing for rebels since I just love the look of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm seriously looking forward to running a B-Wing with a Mangler Cannon, Merc Copilot, FCS, and Etahn flying wingman. Three crits all day erryday.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
OUtrider. Stick with HLC, or toss the mangler cannon on instead?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's a lot of points for a Mangler. On the other hand, it's at least as painful as a Falcon at most ranges, and has an extra crit to make up for the less dice at range 1. Better dial, more agility, and just a few less health might make it an even trade.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
2 green dice vs the Falcon with its perma-evade with C3PO is honestly the same survivability pretty much. Outrider edges ahead at range 3 and against poo poo like Wedge, but otherwise....

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You can put C-3PO on a 2400, so I have no idea why you're treating that like a point in the Falcon's favor. :shrug:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Or you could use lando and get two focus tokens or even two evades!

(Yes, I am putting Lando on my outrider build. I don't care how effective, or non-effective he is, I just need me some colt-45)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

You can put C-3PO on a 2400, so I have no idea why you're treating that like a point in the Falcon's favor. :shrug:

Because you actually have to guess with 2 green dice, so most people don't use it, at least as far as I've seen. On one evade die, C3PO adds a lot more value than he does with two.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Lando is absurdly effective, especially if you grab Experimental Interface or PTL and have him target lock or barrel roll for positioning. I don't know if I'd go for Gunner (the two dice primary is really lackluster) or a Merc Copilot (or even 3P0) for the even more crits factor. Merc plus Mangler plus Etahn is pushing all the right buttons right now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

All this Outrider talk is going to make me go and buy it now. Thanks, goons.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Looking to start going to tournaments in my local area, thinking of bringing this as its basically what I like to play. I think I'm going to get rekt, but it should be fun one way or another.

PEDROS' LEGACY

100 points

PILOTS

Major Rhymer (40)
TIE Bomber (26), Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6), Assault Missiles (5), Seismic Charges (2), Munitions Failsafe (1)

Captain Jonus (34)
TIE Bomber (22), Assault Missiles (5), Concussion Missiles (4), Seismic Charges (2), Munitions Failsafe (1)

Gamma Squadron Pilot (26)
TIE Bomber (18), Assault Missiles (5), Seismic Charges (2), Munitions Failsafe (1)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Swap out one set of Assault Missiles for Ion Torpedoes. Ion Torpedoes are the poo poo.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Strobe posted:

Swap out one set of Assault Missiles for Ion Torpedoes. Ion Torpedoes are the poo poo.

oh yeah I forgot about those, thanks. Would put them on Jonus I guess.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Disregarding all the warnings I got, I bought myself a couple of ships. While using the army builders on the net, I realized that printing this out would pretty much remove the need to pull out all those drat upgrade cards. Only thing I'd need would be the damage cards for the most part. Are people at FLGSs usually okay with this or can they get anal about not having all the "Correct" pieces? I know in 40k no one really gave a poo poo unless you were at a games workshop store if you proxied pretty much anything.

This would also make it easier to proxy random upgrades I don't actually have, since I got rebel aces, but all the good B-Wing weapons and bombs seem to be in the B-wing pack only.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 15, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If you play in a tournament you will need the cards. It's also a good idea to have the cards anyway so you can hand them to people who want to read the rule.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

alg posted:

If you play in a tournament you will need the cards. It's also a good idea to have the cards anyway so you can hand them to people who want to read the rule.

But the rules are all nicely listed out on the 100 point list that I printed out! Thats what I mean, it's less fiddly to just have it all listed on a one page piece of paper rather than digging out tons of cards to stack under my ship.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Why would you need the damage cards? Don't you have a core?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Tekopo posted:

Why would you need the damage cards? Don't you have a core?

I mean I'd have to dig the damage cards out from my core set, and not the upgrade cards. I'm just lazy is all. I get the sense I'd need a plano case or something if I wanted to really get into this game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah as long as you have core stuff like dice (get at least 6 attack/6 defence dice), maneuver templates, range ruler and damage deck, you should be fine, although I guess it changes from venue to venue. I wouldn't give a poo poo if someone didn't actually have the cards to actually play his list, and many people proxy anyway to try out new wave stuff anyway.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
poo poo, I need more dice than came in the core set? I see why people say to get two, then.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's very helpful. The X-wing can throw 4 dice totally unmodified two different ways without even leaving the core set. I only have four dice, and sometimes I need to borrow a fifth (or in one case a sixth; not often) in order to make an attack.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You can buy an extra set of 3/3 dice separately from the core if you don't want to get two extra TIEs and an X-Wing. This is actually how I ended up with 9/9 dice :v:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Got my Tie Advanced and Interceptor yesterday and Defender today, and my Phantom should arrive tomorrow or Saturday. Cant wait to try these bad boys (like Rexlar and Darth Vader) out today when my friend comes over after work.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Yeah Tie Fighters are the worst and I never want to actually fly them. Interceptors/advanced/defenders/gunboats or nothing.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Yeah Tie Fighters are the worst and I never want to actually fly them. Interceptors/advanced/defenders/gunboats or nothing.

Sure they're not super exciting but they have their place as cheap fighters that be taken en masse with something that makes them better (ie. Howlrunner).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Multiple TIEs are good to have. You only need 1 of any of the others (at the moment)

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Looking at the Tie Defender (and I'm still new to X-Wing) it seems like from my point a view a decent platform for the Ion Cannon with its dial and relative toughness but also a decent dog fighter. What in your guys experience is the best use for the Defender?

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 16, 2015

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

The Sisko posted:

Looking at the Tie Defender (and I'm still new to X-Wing) it seems like from my point a view a decent platform for the Ion Cannon with its dial and relative toughness but also a decent dog fighter and . What in your guys experience is the best use for the Defender?

One fun trick is to put a Heavy Laser Cannon on Rexler Brath. The downside to the cannon (other than its point cost) is that it can't inflict critical hits, but with Brath's special ability you can crit to your heart's content. I hear this works particularly well against pesky Decimators.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Defenders are the only ENERGY FIGHTER in the game. Everything else is a turn fighter, or a turret platform. Turn fighters have an obvious definition, but energy fighters are at their best making slashing attacks against an enemy, then looping around to come do it again. In such a way, an ion cannon is a very good complement to their playstyle. Fire the ion cannon at long range, force the enemy to maneuver how you want them, and use your superior straight line speed and white K-turn to keep them in your gunsights.

The only problem is that they're really expensive, and they don't play well alone. You need a couple other TIEs or a big ship to keep opponents anchored, and to provide things to shoot at that aren't you. Defenders don't get an Evade action, so they're more vulnerable to taking hits than your run of the mill TIEs. The extra health offsets that, but drat if they're not expensive.

They're also utter pants at trying to turn at low speeds. Honestly, the Defender is the fighter in the game that needs a Segnor's loop most. I would be absolutely loving ecstatic to get a title for them later that allowed a player to treat a 3-bank maneuver as a Segnor's loop. Even if it was like a 5 point title I'd be all over that poo poo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I like to use Vessery and feed him target locks by using another ship with target locks (decimator, shuttle or firespray work well with this). He can work with an HLC or without (since 3 attack dice is pretty decent anyway).

The problem with the TIE Defender is that it is explicitly not an arc dodger. It can work well with the ion cannon, specially thanks to its white k-turn, but unfortunately since it lacks a 1 straight it can't walk things off the board reliability (the missing 1 straight on TIEs is actually a HUGE liability in some cases). Stressed TIE Defenders are also forced to go straight to shed stress, making them extremely predictable. This also means that you will hardly ever see a Defender do a 1 sharp or 2 sharp, due to this predictability.

Defenders end up having to tank shots since they are not arc dodgers and absolutely cannot take PtL due to the stress issues. They can do this fairly well with 6 overall HP and 3 agility, but you often end up in situations with them where you want to use your focus to do damage and if they do, the defender can get hurt easily, especially if your agility dice decide to have a day off (you should never rely on green dice in the first place though).

Defenders do have issues but I love flying them. They can be effective when used properly and can take a surprise amount of firepower aimed at them. The issue is that they came out with the Phantom and for all intents and purposes, the Phantom is a much better ship.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Thanks again for all the advice and bearing with me . As a newer player I'm still getting used to how all the rules work together and as such some combos aren't readily visible to me at first glance hence why I come here.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
TIE Fighters are absolutely amazing, please don't diss one of the best ships in the game tia

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm sorry I played way too much tie fighter, so I don't give a gently caress about primitive tie fighters, it's all about the high tech hot poo poo.

When are they going to add Tie Uglies, Missile boats, or Assault gunboats?

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 16, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I really like it when Imps bring the "high tech hot poo poo". So much easier to kill than swarms.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm not trying to play competitively. I do see lots of people say that tie swarms are a great strategy, but I really don't want to have to manuever around tons of ties anyway. So far I've got a shuttle, a defender and the ties from the core set. Seems like a good place to start at. The fighters at the very least seem to be good at filling in spots. Just running Night Beast right now, and an academy pilot to fill in points.

Shuttles seem tons of fun though. From the doom shuttle with vader to giving target locks to every loving ship I've got to a variety of other poo poo, they seem pretty hilarious. Just trying to avoid spending 50 points on a shuttle, keeping it down around 30ish points to avoid being an idiot.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 16, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think I like the imps better than Johnny Reb because I like throwing tons of cheap lovely TIEs at my enemy rather than putting all my eggs in one basket. Plus, I get a bunch more guns to point at a single target.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Bad list time! Thoughts:

Chewbacca + Expose (46)

“Dutch” Vander + Ion Cannon Turret (28)

Kyle Katarn + Ion Cannon Turret (26)

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Strobe posted:

I really like it when Imps bring the "high tech hot poo poo". So much easier to kill than swarms.

So would a 3-ship list like this one I just put together be a terrible idea?

Royal Guard Pilot (30):
Royal Guard TIE title
Push The Limit
Stealth Device
Targeting Computer

Royal Guard Pilot (30):
Royal Guard TIE title
Push The Limit
Stealth Device
Targeting Computer

Colonel Vessery (40):
Ion Cannon
Wingman

It seemed to me there must be some utility to the Royal Guard title, so I thought I'd give it a try--Targeting Computers are added purely to cater to Vessery's ability. I've played little with Imperial lists though, so if you're welcome to help save me from having to learn the hard way.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

I'm sorry I played way too much tie fighter, so I don't give a gently caress about primitive tie fighters, it's all about the high tech hot poo poo.

When are they going to add Tie Uglies, Missile boats, or Assault gunboats?

Sucks to have a wrong opinion, friendo.

The best missions were where you were flying TIE Fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Leo Showers posted:

Sucks to have a wrong opinion, friendo.

The best missions were where you were flying TIE Fighters.

Didn't you only play a tie fighter in like 3 missions before they moved you up to interceptors and bombers?

• Locked thread