Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Elukka posted:

I never have the money to be recruiting mages every turn if I'm doing anything else at all, never mind recruiting them in more than one place. I'm probably doing something terribly wrong.

Yeah, what scales did you use? That could easily be the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Right up until they curse your God. Then you hate them and want to burn their province.

Don't take lizards with your god. They are naked dudes so any nation should have little trouble clearing them with real troops.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

amuayse posted:

Yeah, lizard indies are the best indies you can recruit outside of throne mages.

Bloooooooooooood indies (and crystal zons)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

Yeah, lizard indies are the best indies you can recruit outside of throne mages.

Others are better like some Amazons and some site specific indies, but Lizard Shamans are the best common indie mages.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I Love You! posted:

Bloooooooooooood indies (and crystal zons)

Garnets are like winning the lottery. You will see them maaaaybe 1/10 games.

Lizards are common, and crystal/jade amazons slightly less common. I usually get lizard shams or some variety of amazon in any particular game with a decent year 1. Oh and if you see anything that makes sages, make them, forever. Sages are a huge kickstart for your RP and can give a distinct advantage early on. They are also S1 mages so if required, a ball of them can inflict a lot of pain rather easily.

Most other decent indies have to be searched out and the majority are worth labbing and recruiting if found.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Loremasters are pretty dope if we're talking about extremely rare site mages

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

DrManiac posted:

Thanks for the write up. My setup seems pretty good for the average gang of dudes but in the point of the game I'm in I really need to start busting up forts to take thrones which seems like a no-go when you let the AI do it's thing in battle. Any tips for the communion stuff? I tried it out with 4-5 mage commanders plus my pretender but they didn't do anything ground breaking.

The most basic use of a Communion is to reach the requirement to cast a spell.

For example, let's say you have eight Geomancers. What kind of battlemagic can they use?

Well, at E1 S1 they can cast Star Fires or Flying Shards.
If you give each one an earth gem, they can use that to cast Summon Earthpower, making them E2 S1 and they can cast Earth Meld.

If you, instead, have 4 Geomancers cast Communion Master and 4 cast Communion Slave, then have the masters cast Summon Earthpower next, the masters will be at E4 S4 in terms of spell access. That allows them to cast Gifts from Heaven, Blade Wind, Destruction, Soul Slay, or Enslave Mind. Of course, this communion isn't ideally formed. It will probably murder the slaves to fatigue quite quickly, has no spare slaves in case of lucky enemy spells, and takes two full casting rounds to set up, leaving only three remaining scripted rounds for your powerhouse spells. But you get the basic idea.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Pro tip for MA Tien: Give one of your nature mages a crystal matrix so he can cast personal regen to mitigate slave death.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

amuayse posted:

Pro tip for MA Tien: Give one of your nature mages a crystal matrix so he can cast personal regen to mitigate slave death.

Pro tip: do this for actually every communion or get a S1N1 caster to do it

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Do units with morale-increasing standards work for the entire squad they are in, or just the square, as I believe it was in Dom 3? Whats the benefit to multiple standard bearers other than redundancy if so?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

The Bramble posted:

Do units with morale-increasing standards work for the entire squad they are in, or just the square, as I believe it was in Dom 3? Whats the benefit to multiple standard bearers other than redundancy if so?

squad, none ex cept if they die you get to keep the morale bonus

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I Love You! posted:

Pro tip: do this for actually every communion or get a S1N1 caster to do it

Actually, I'm curious. If you have a communion master who can cast a pathboost spell with extra effects (like earthpower giving reinvig) do the slaves still get it if they have no earth path to boost?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

If any of you brand new players want i'll give up my EA Tien Chi spot in one of the games that hasn't started yet. Send me a message on IRC or post here or w/e.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Kitfox88 posted:

Actually, I'm curious. If you have a communion master who can cast a pathboost spell with extra effects (like earthpower giving reinvig) do the slaves still get it if they have no earth path to boost?

Yes, the slaves still get the reinvig.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Ive never really given slave buffing much thought because they are immobile, but could you have a master solely buffing slaves to make them traps/deterrents? Charge body or that holy gently caress you smite spell? There are other ways turn trap the slaves too, just make the living bombs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Ive never really given slave buffing much thought because they are immobile, but could you have a master solely buffing slaves to make them traps/deterrents? Charge body or that holy gently caress you smite spell? There are other ways turn trap the slaves too, just make the living bombs.

I don't think there's any way to make such traps cost efficient. Maybe Phoenix Pyre, if that transfers to slaves?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
e: ^^^ Phoenix Pyre definitely does transfer to slaves, and it will probably cost you your entire mage line if you have non-F mages in the communion, because they'll all go up.

Speleothing posted:

Yes, the slaves still get the reinvig.
But take such large fatigue penalties from having out-of-path spells cast through them that it might not be worth it.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 14, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Donkringel posted:

Phoenix Pyre and Hellpower are the two best traps you can set, and hellpower is by far the better of the two unless you really really like hilarious chain reactions.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

jBrereton posted:

But take such large fatigue penalties from having out-of-path spells cast through them that it might not be worth it.

Summon Earthpower, a spell that costs 20 fatigue, pays for itself in reinvigoration in just a few turns if you have more than about 4 slaves in your communion (and the slaves have no E at all), so it's not a big deal and is probably a good idea if you're expecting a long battle. Especially if your slave count is high.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Or you could set up a communion with more masters than slaves, then script the masters to cast a neverending wave of spells. Because who doesn't like 100+ dead mages in a single battle? (Disclaimer: I've said nothing about which sides' mages.) :shepface:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Communions got a boost recently which was interesting.
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/communion-fatigue-change

quote:

a master with N slaves will split fatigue (N+1) ways instead of N ways. I.e. a one-slave communion is no longer useless--it cuts your fatigue roughly in half.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

That gives me so many ideas. :getin:

When is the next patch supposed to arrive? Weeks, months, when?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
You guys realize that Regen in a communion is worth like 25 points of reinvig right

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
May as well make it 29 :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The less chances your batteries get weeping sores or holes in their chest or an arm falls off the better. :colbert:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

jBrereton posted:

e: ^^^ Phoenix Pyre definitely does transfer to slaves, and it will probably cost you your entire mage line if you have non-F mages in the communion, because they'll all go up.

Your mages will also eventually cast it whether you script them to or not :unsmigghh:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Yeah, fire mages make dangerous Communion Masters once you've hit Alt 7.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You haven't lived until you've watched 16 slaves go up in a puff of smoke because of a stray arrow.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

I Love You! posted:

You guys realize that Regen in a communion is worth like 25 points of reinvig right

the only time ive used regen in a communion the dude got feebleminded on his first tick of damage!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I spent this morning writing up a mod. No sprites, yet. But that just means it's playable with just a copy/paste into notepad.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2490
http://pastebin.com/TVBgvggK

It's the ASoIaF Valyria mod! Roast your enemies with fat stacks of dragons. Have slightly better than average human troops. Have two cheap mages and two expensive mages.

Lots of Blood and Fire, also plenty of Earth and Astral.

Edit: Before anybody brings it up, I'm already thinking about bringing down the dragons' rec limits and upping the gcost on all the human units by 1 or 2.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 15, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Well, that nation's overall recruitable pool of blood/astral mages would basically be the strongest mages in the game by a country mile, and the nation would have to have very below average troops in order to compensate or they'd be unstoppable.

Valeryan sages are incredible for recruit anywhere, even in EA, and I'd play a nation with them as my only mage in LA and consider it a blessing.

Dragon Lords are fantastic and have nasty combat magic or gross blood crosspaths no matter what.

Lord Patriarchs read like a really bad joke. If they are non-cap only that only adds to the punchline. S2B3s with upside aren't stoppable if they have any support whatsoever (hence Abyssia still sucking but being able to wreck if they are allowed to reach the lategame totally unimpeded) especially when you add E/S and F/S to the mix. This nation is Astral Corruption: the nation which is fine except Marig already does this and only stays fair by having almost totally useless troops.

Since this is EA they will either be totally horribly useless due to No Sacreds or pretty much unstoppable if their dudes are good enough, I'm honestly not sure which it would be, but I don't know if they will be much fun in either case. But I'm a skeptic so maybe I'm dumb and wrong.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 15, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah, the other nations that get a reliable recruitable S2B3 are goddamn MA and LA Abysia, Hinnom can also get S2B3 on 1 in 3 Melqarts.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh god i just saw they get foreign D and N mages that are also healers to slam into the communion and the sages get a research bonus

Their human troops will get butchered by EA sacreds so it's 100% whether the dragons are OP or not I guess

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I Love You! posted:

Oh god i just saw they get foreign D and N mages that are also healers to slam into the communion and the sages get a research bonus

Their human troops will get butchered by EA sacreds so it's 100% whether the dragons are OP or not I guess

That mage is a hero, not a foreignrec. So you won't be seeing many of those.

Astral Corruption is accessible, but no more so than it is to Hinnom or Abyssia, and the nation is vulnerable to rushes. I'll drop the E/S random to 1 if you're so concerned about it.

The dragons are reclimited to essentially be cap-only sacreds that you can't bless. So take that as you will.

New version of the pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/6TLWXhB6

Changelog
v 0.2
increased all infantry cost by 1 or 2
increased wyrmling cost 40 -> 65
increased drake cost 80 -> 95
Lowered wyrmling and drake reclimits by 1
lowered Patriach ES random 2 -> 1
changed Lord random from 200FES to 66ES
increased F path on Lords 1 -> 2

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 15, 2015

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

amuayse posted:

Also summon earthpower, and mistform/luck/twist fate once earthquake becomes a thing.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Flight works perfectly fine against earthquakes.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Looks like I'll be playing MA Abysia in an upcoming game. Can someone give me some pointers on research goals? I understand fireball is an easy early goal, but what else should I look for to keep me viable in the early and mid game? What blood spells should I be looking at building myself around? I have never played a blood nation before.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Bramble posted:

Looks like I'll be playing MA Abysia in an upcoming game. Can someone give me some pointers on research goals? I understand fireball is an easy early goal, but what else should I look for to keep me viable in the early and mid game? What blood spells should I be looking at building myself around? I have never played a blood nation before.

You might want to look at getting a pretender with nature paths so you can get yourself that global that helps your old dudes. Because all your dudes will be old.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Bramble posted:

I am playing with this:

Everything that you have which isn't a slayer or a warlock is poo poo garbage. Take an awake god and try to not get murdered early, which shouldn't be TOO hard. Your starting army is actually really good and I double blind expanded with it and an Azi in my current game as MA Abysia with no trouble. Grab mercs and expand as much as you can because that's basically all the land you will have for a long time, unless an opportunity to gobble a dying neighbors stuff comes up.

Ignore fire and troops as much as possible. Snap up independent mages as quickly as you can (lizard shamans, amazons etc). I started hunting from like turn 4 because I needed to 1) blood sac my turmoil out so Azi could defend me 2) have a foundation of slaves for hellpower defense and or imp spam. Research horror defense ASAP (blood 2, thau 2) as the ability to wave your hellpowering dick around is usually enough to dissuade attackers. Then just grab const and blood with whatever derails are necessary on the way up (probably conj2 for wolves to patrol blood provinces. make sure you lab N indies ASAP to get up a +1 or more N income. This is enough to sustain wolves).

I have exactly one fort making national fire mages and all of my other mages are independent or warlocks. This is the ideal imo.

Note that this build is highly difficult to play, even more so than normal MA Abysia, as you must deploy your mages and limited resources with the utmost care. If you get no independent mages worth recruiting you are hosed so pray to the RNG beforehand for at least one amazon or lizard sham province.

Alternatively, you can just go full scales with a more conventional build and try to use your overpriced poo poo to kill people. I've never seen it work. Your f2h2 baseline mage is 185 loving gold and old. Your troops are good in very early game melees but just melt when people get magic researched. I am unironically using jaguar tribe as my primary line troop because it can patrol, get buffed from flaming arrows and is very cheap.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's the difference between "Defend Province" and "Defend Castle"?

The manual says that units with Defend Castle orders will retreat into the castle in case of an attack, while units with the default order will not. Fair enough.

But then, the manual says "The difference between “Patrol” and “Defend” in a province with a fortress is that patrollers will engage in combat outside the fortress, while defenders will concede the province and become besieged."

And this is before explaining Defend Castle.

:confused:

• Locked thread