Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I find it amusing that Dark Enlightenment thinkers make MTG cards for themselves.

They never have a land value on them so I assume they're worthless.

also his card quote is the first time I've seen one of these neo-reactionary types talk about consent outside an MRA rape apology rant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
I had a run-in not too long ago with someone that, while they not full-on DE (they were a self-professed communist), had the same weird admiration for autocracy and same conviction that democracy was a failed experiment. I made the mistake of arguing with them, and these were the main points that came up:

-They were in favor of a strong social safety net, so I mentioned that most of the countries with those (included Scandinavia, Japan, Germany, France, the UK) were democracies. He said something to the effect of "Are they? Cuba isn't a democracy." and said that Japan and Germany didn't count because "their economies are due to collapse any day."

-He brought up China as an example of superior governance, using the recent passing of their GDP over the US's as evidence. I brought up the Foxconn factory suicides, and he said that those were "exaggerated by the media, and Foxconn workers actually had a lower suicide rate than the Chinese population in general." I also mentioned the horrible air and the buildings that weren't likely to last more than 20 years, which he waved off with a vague "China is actually working on fixing those."

-As an elaboration of the previous, he said that the problem with democracy was that "all the arguments create deadlock and nothing gets done." This was the reason he gave for the the US's economy fell behind China's.

-He claimed that it didn't make any sense to point out the USSR's gulags, because the U.S.'s high incarceration rate and terrible treatment of its prisoners didn't make it any better.

-I mentioned that autocracies often were plagued by hilarious wastes of taxpayer money, such as dictators' inauguration ceremonies that cost the entire nation's GDP. He said democracies weren't any better because they often wasted the taxpayers' money on military boondoggles such as the F35.

-The subject of food insecurity came up. When I pointed out that, for all their faults, democracies tend to have much higher food security and much lower starvation rates for their people (even the US), he claimed that the data was unreliable because it was pulled from American governmental agencies.

I just... holy poo poo. :psyduck: How can someone have so many left-wing sympathies (he's made his outrage over American police brutality very plain, I should add) and still support the forms of government that machine gun people like him?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Polybius91 posted:

I had a run-in not too long ago with someone that, while they not full-on DE (they were a self-professed communist), had the same weird admiration for autocracy and same conviction that democracy was a failed experiment. I made the mistake of arguing with them, and these were the main points that came up:

-They were in favor of a strong social safety net, so I mentioned that most of the countries with those (included Scandinavia, Japan, Germany, France, the UK) were democracies. He said something to the effect of "Are they? Cuba isn't a democracy." and said that Japan and Germany didn't count because "their economies are due to collapse any day."

-He brought up China as an example of superior governance, using the recent passing of their GDP over the US's as evidence. I brought up the Foxconn factory suicides, and he said that those were "exaggerated by the media, and Foxconn workers actually had a lower suicide rate than the Chinese population in general." I also mentioned the horrible air and the buildings that weren't likely to last more than 20 years, which he waved off with a vague "China is actually working on fixing those."

-As an elaboration of the previous, he said that the problem with democracy was that "all the arguments create deadlock and nothing gets done." This was the reason he gave for the the US's economy fell behind China's.

-He claimed that it didn't make any sense to point out the USSR's gulags, because the U.S.'s high incarceration rate and terrible treatment of its prisoners didn't make it any better.

-I mentioned that autocracies often were plagued by hilarious wastes of taxpayer money, such as dictators' inauguration ceremonies that cost the entire nation's GDP. He said democracies weren't any better because they often wasted the taxpayers' money on military boondoggles such as the F35.

-The subject of food insecurity came up. When I pointed out that, for all their faults, democracies tend to have much higher food security and much lower starvation rates for their people (even the US), he claimed that the data was unreliable because it was pulled from American governmental agencies.

I just... holy poo poo. :psyduck: How can someone have so many left-wing sympathies (he's made his outrage over American police brutality very plain, I should add) and still support the forms of government that machine gun people like him?

You're acting like you've never talked to an actual communist party flak before. I've known plenty of people like this during my left-wing activism in Israel. I guess one of the few good things about the US is that you don't really have parties with serious presence who contain the same leadership which has spent years running apologetics for the USSR and such.

Hell, some of them will unironically portray North Korea as a positive role model. (Notable in that camp is a famous though marginal Israeli activist who would come to each protest with a shirt featuring Stalin).

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I used to work with a guy who was a self-professed fascist and the conversations were pretty much the same.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
"Horseshoe theory" looking more and more like "spirograph theory" every day.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Did you know there's a direct correlation between the decline in Spirograph and the rise in gang activity? Think about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

Did you know there's a direct correlation between the decline in Spirograph and the rise in gang activity? Think about it.

What is the neoreactionary position on Spongebob Squarepants?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

neonnoodle posted:

The repetitive geometric patterns of Spirograph are a mild form of self-hypnosis which relaxes and centers the mind and emotions.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I've been to Detroit and also made it out of Detroit. Didn't even seem like a big deal. I guess strength, courage, mastery, and honor just come easily to me.

I live in Detroit. It's a nice enough place. gently caress this guy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

But can you escape from it?!

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I know Kurt Russel wants to make a comeback, but there's got to be a better way.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Whatever happened with that Robocop statue anyways?

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

neonnoodle posted:

I used to work with a guy who was a self-professed fascist and the conversations were pretty much the same.
Please, do elaborate :allears:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Tracula posted:

Whatever happened with that Robocop statue anyways?

It's done, they're looking for a place to put it. It'll probably (hopefully) be up in a month or two.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Harry Potter Becomes a Communist posted:

"How do you know they were the Dark Ages?" asked Hagrid monarchically. "Were you there? Liberal democracy has every reason to portray itself as superior to the system which came before it. Maybe it was propaganda when the scary violence of the French Revolution was labeled the Enlightenment and the wonderful stability of the Habsburgs was labeled the Dark Ages. Maybe there was some enlightenment in the so-called dark times. That's why we call ourselves the Dark Enlightenment."

:allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you think the nazis seemed this pathetic when they tried appropriating vikings and poo poo, or is it more the face that these turds are using comfortable nostalgic avatars of their bourgeois childhood to style themselves the death of liberal democracy?

Like, how scary can you be when you can't let go of your suburban home and how Dragon Ball Z helped you feel safe when you were a fat nerd who got bullied every day?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I also speak very monarchically.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"the stability of the Habsburgs"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I also speak very monarchically.

How does one speak monarchically? I imagine it's speaking like Brian Blessed, but I have a feeling he's not dark and serious enough for these people.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

MizPiz posted:

How does one speak monarchically? I imagine it's speaking like Brian Blessed, but I have a feeling he's not dark and serious enough for these people.

We use the royal we, of course.

Polybius91 posted:

Please, do elaborate :allears:
I worked in a store with Fascist Guy for a brief period of time. He used to wear a belt buckle with the insignia of the British Union of Fascists. I didn't know what it was so I complimented him on what I thought was some kind of comic book Captain America type thing. You have to admit that it's a pretty cool looking design. It's even the logo for the Bolt Bus company. I really want to know who was responsible for that decision.

FG expressed general admiration for Oswald Mosley and the British Fascists, and felt that the United States was ill-served by the democratic process. In his opinion, we would be better off with a powerful, charismatic dictator who would "get things done" instead of waffling around looking for consensus.

With that in mind, I asked him his opinion of then-president George W. Bush. FG said he hated Bush because of the ways he had overstepped his power. :psyboom:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TinTower posted:

Harry Potter Becomes a Communist posted:

"How do you know they were the Dark Ages?" asked Hagrid monarchically. "Were you there? Liberal democracy has every reason to portray itself as superior to the system which came before it. Maybe it was propaganda when the scary violence of the French Revolution was labeled the Enlightenment and the wonderful stability of the Habsburgs was labeled the Dark Ages. Maybe there was some enlightenment in the so-called dark times. That's why we call ourselves the Dark Enlightenment."
:allears:
Is the gimmick here that Hagrid is supposed to be comically ill-informed about the history of these terms? The secular use of the term `the Dark Ages' was originally (by Petrarch) a commentary on the paucity of written material (literature, history, and so on) produced during the era. Use of the term `the Enlightenment' is largely, in English, a Victorian-era invention (by Victorians who thought that the French Revolution signified its death); the same propagandists could not conceivably be responsible for both terms.

On the other hand, this suggests reading `the Dark Enlightenment' as `the Unproductive Enlightenment', which is eerily apt.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Do you think the nazis seemed this pathetic when they tried appropriating vikings and poo poo, or is it more the face that these turds are using comfortable nostalgic avatars of their bourgeois childhood to style themselves the death of liberal democracy?

Like, how scary can you be when you can't let go of your suburban home and how Dragon Ball Z helped you feel safe when you were a fat nerd who got bullied every day?
Nazi germanic mysticism and parading would be just as laughable if it wasn't legitimised by being connected to actual power. Luckily these guys have little chance of snaring more than a few impressionable silicon valley wunderkind.

You can compare the KKK's goofy names too. 'Grand Dragon'. 'Imperial Wizard'. The history of radical right thought is the history of ridiculous dorks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

The Nazis were giant goons. Apart from his questionable taste in facial hair, Hitler delighted in the fact that 'Adolf' meant 'noble wolf', and did stuff like call his Eastern Front HQ the Wolfsschanze, or 'Wolf's Lair'. Goering kept making up super-special medals to award himself. Himmler created the Ahnenerbe, an organisation geared, in part, at weaponising magic. Rudolf Hess was a member of a bona-fide cult called the Thule Society whose beliefs appeared to be primarily based on Conan the Barbarian novels.

They'd be hilarious if they weren't some of the most successful mass-murderers in history.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Peel posted:

You can compare the KKK's goofy names too. 'Grand Dragon'. 'Imperial Wizard'. The history of radical right thought is the history of ridiculous dorks.

Organization and Principles of the Ku Klux Klan posted:

Section 1. The officers of this Order shall consist of a Grand Wizard of the Empire and his ten Genii; a Grand Dragon of the Realm and his eight Hydras; a Grand Titan of the Dominion and his six Furies; a Grand Giant of the Province and his four Goblins; a Grand Cyclops of the Den and his two Night Hawks; a Grand Magi, a Grand Monk, a Grand Scribe, a Grand Exchequer, a Grand Turk, and a Grand Sentinel.
Section 2. The body politic of this Order shall be known and designated as "Ghouls."

You can't make this stuff up.

Bonus points for not realizing that "Magi" is plural.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Jan 14, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So is the Grand Turk the "black friend" of the KKK hierarchy? "No, it's cool, we can say n*****, my Grand Turk friend says its okay."

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Silver2195 posted:

You can't make this stuff up.

Bonus points for not realizing that "Magi" is plural.
Welcome to the Order, initiate. You are a grand, uh...roll 2d10...a grand svirfneblin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Self styled Col. Simmons who founded the second incarnation of the Klan was a giant loving dork who was way into secret societies of the time. He wasn't so much a member, but a nerd who read about them in books.

Besides creating the above titles, he also created a secret language, he called Klanversation which was complete gibberish that is probably the 20s version of gamer/anime nerd speak. Dark Enlightenment dorks would fit perfectly in the Klan of this time, as its entire look, actions and motives were inspired by Birth of a Nation, which took its images from romanticized version of the UK. Bunch of social outcasts that latch onto popular culture to fill the void of their empty lives does kind of describe most fascist movement members doesn't it? Could be video games, Wagner or whatever.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Self styled Col. Simmons who founded the second incarnation of the Klan was a giant loving dork who was way into secret societies of the time. He wasn't so much a member, but a nerd who read about them in books.

Besides creating the above titles, he also created a secret language, he called Klanversation which was complete gibberish that is probably the 20s version of gamer/anime nerd speak. Dark Enlightenment dorks would fit perfectly in the Klan of this time, as its entire look, actions and motives were inspired by Birth of a Nation, which took its images from romanticized version of the UK. Bunch of social outcasts that latch onto popular culture to fill the void of their empty lives does kind of describe most fascist movement members doesn't it? Could be video games, Wagner or whatever.

The fantasy monster titles actually come from the First Klan. The Second Klan ditched many of those titles but invented some even sillier terminology: Kloran, Klonversation, Klavern, Klavaliers...

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jan 14, 2015

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Silver2195 posted:

The fantasy monster titles actually come from the First Klan. The Second Klan ditched many of those titles but invented some even sillier terminology: Kloran, Klonversation, Klavern, Klavaliers...

It's like Rare made a game about Donkey Kong's racist third cousin.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Alien Arcana posted:

It's like Rare made a game about Donkey Kong's racist third cousin.
Kranky Kong Klavern.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

SubG posted:

Welcome to the Order, initiate. You are a grand, uh...roll 2d10...a grand svirfneblin.

"I rolled a two, what cool fantasy creature do I get to be? A Dragon? A Cyclops?"

"No. Exchequer."

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Jack Gladney posted:

Wasn't there some German author of plucky-kids-on-adventures books that lots of top Nazis were infatuated with?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
In which the government printing money is bad, but saying who can have kids is good

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Wasn't there some German author of plucky-kids-on-adventures books that lots of top Nazis were infatuated with?

Karl May, and Hitler made his generals read the books for the wisdom they contained:

Albert Speer posted:

Hitler was wont to say that he had always been deeply impressed by the tactical finesse and circumspection that Karl May conferred upon his character Winnetou ... And he would add that during his reading hours at night, when faced by seemingly hopeless situations, he would still reach for those stories, that they gave him courage like works of philosophy for others or the Bible for elderly people.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
The other day I watched the Jon Ronson documentary "The Secret Rulers of the World," and the more I look at all this crap the more it seems clear that it's just this week's flavor of the John Birch Society.

"THE INTERNATIONAL BANKERS!!!" Who could that be...?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Karl May, and Hitler made his generals read the books for the wisdom they contained:

In May's defense, he was also a favorite of Albert Einstein:

quote:

"My whole adolescence stood under his sign. Indeed, even today, he has been dear to me in many a desperate hour..."

From what little I know about his work, he always tried to portray Native Americans sympathetically, and Hitler seemed to have missed May's messages about world peace and tolerance for other races. He hosed up as much as one would expect for a white dude writing in the latter half of the 1800s, especially when it came to what we see today as pejorative terms for ethnic groups, but he was head and shoulders above his contemporaries otherwise.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spoilers Below posted:

In May's defense, he was also a favorite of Albert Einstein:

From what little I know about his work, he always tried to portray Native Americans sympathetically, and Hitler seemed to have missed May's messages about world peace and tolerance for other races. He hosed up as much as one would expect for a white dude writing in the latter half of the 1800s, especially when it came to what we see today as pejorative terms for ethnic groups, but he was head and shoulders above his contemporaries otherwise.

I think that what Hitler must have loved about Karl May is how, say, Old Shatterhand could just waltz into the Old West and master it with the power of having sat down and read a lot of books. It must have appealed to a goony shut-in.

I did read one of those books; they were popular in their Hebrew translation at some point. I vaguely remember it as kind of a bland Western with Old Shatterhand being an obvious Mary Sue; I didn't bother looking for another.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The Karl May books were and still are legendary in Germany and you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone here who doesn't know about Winnetou and Old Shatterhand. There is this weird infatuation of many Germans with anything concerning Native Americans and the Old West, and it comes almost entirely from May's work - which is hilarious as the dude never even set foot in America. And yes, Old Shatterhand truly is the Mary Sue to end all Mary Sues - he is good in just about anything, kind, at with the ladies, a good friend and a pious Christian... That said, the books are still good fun and I loved reading them as a kid. Still do, actually.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Hatred of the "international banksters" may be the glue that allows Occupy-types like Justine Tunney to jump over to the Dark Enlightenment. It's quite possibly one of the most obvious codewords for Jews going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Maybe I'm living in a fool's paradise but I think it's possible to be angry at Bank of America, Lehman Brothers, rich financial sector douchebags, etc, without it being code for antisemitism. Or is this like the thing where (some) Texans complain about "Canadians" on Facebook and "Canadian" is secret code for "black?"