Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol why would you @ twitter from twitter and then link to ig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol why would you @ twitter from twitter and then link to ig?

why would you release a phone with a physical keyboard at any point after the iphone came out in 2007

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that blackberry twitter thing made the news in Canada (yahoo news digest anyway)

also samsung wants to buy blackberry so it's all over i guess

http://recode.net/2015/01/14/samsung-makes-takeover-approach-to-blackberry/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, that's not going to fly any better now than when lenovo tried last year

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why would you release a phone with a physical keyboard at any point after the iphone came out in 2007

if youre a successful business professional

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Thanks Ants posted:

if youre a successful business professional

i can confirm this

just today a member of the CESO bought a bb classic

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

blackberry put out a denial

"BlackBerry has not engaged in discussions with Samsung with respect to any possible offer to purchase BlackBerry."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"we tried really hard but they just weren't interested"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

who the gently caress in their right mind would buy blackberry in 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

olds and middle managers too out of touch to realize how desperately uncool it makes them, while still caring about looking cool

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

infernal machines posted:

olds and middle managers too out of touch to realize how desperately uncool it makes them, while still caring about looking cool

see also: porsche design blackberries

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mishaq posted:

don't they still have some nice patents?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

don't they still have some nice patents?

well, people believe they do. i've never seen anything itemized

given the other things people believe about blackberry (re device and coms security for example), i'd take it with a grain of salt

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

well, people believe they do. i've never seen anything itemized

given the other things people believe about blackberry (re device and coms security for example), i'd take it with a grain of salt

they own qnx.

qnx is still a nice thing to own.

blackberry will probably sell qnx off before blackberry gets bought out tho

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 15, 2015

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i meant the company not the devices, but maybe the answer is the same

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mishaq posted:

the ontario teachers pension plan board.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

terrifyingly, the largest investor in the country

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Mister Macys posted:

the ontario teachers pension plan board.

Don't they also have or had part ownership of the Leafs? I see a trend here.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the leafs suck but they sell out every game and sell a ton of merch, thus having no incentive to win the cup

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they have part ownership of everything. they fully own a bunch of malls and condo towers(through cadillac fairview), partly own european airports, rail lines, a bunch of power and water utilities, they own the UK lottery outright (??!), they have multi-hundred million dollars stakes in basically every major us corporation

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Perplx posted:

the leafs suck but they sell out every game and sell a ton of merch, thus having no incentive to win the cup

this is true and so loving frustrating. the nhl needs to move to a european-style system where the shittiest teams get relegated to the minor leagues at the end of every season.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Pinterest Mom posted:

they have part ownership of everything. they fully own a bunch of malls and condo towers(through cadillac fairview), partly own european airports, rail lines, a bunch of power and water utilities, they own the UK lottery outright (??!), they have multi-hundred million dollars stakes in basically every major us corporation

the quebec pension plan owns a 14% of heathrow airport.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ontario teachers are spending 2 billion dollars to build 5 gigantic condo towers around the bell centre in downtown montréal, essentially creating a new neighbourhood out of scratch

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Pinterest Mom posted:

they own the UK lottery outright (??!)

fuckin lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pinterest Mom posted:

they own the UK lottery outright (??!)[/url]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelot_Group

In March 2010, Toronto-based Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan announced that it was buying Camelot for £389m.[5]

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they were also very heavily invested in nortel back in the late 90s

if you know any teachers in ontario who were working back then ask them about it...

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
http://www.itworld.com/article/2873895/blackberry-wants-to-mandate-app-developers-to-make-apps-for-its-platform.html

BlackBerry CEO John Chen wants net neutrality to extend to content and applications, so that developers of apps for Android and iOS will be mandated to develop on the BlackBerry platform as well.

Not all content and app providers have embraced openness and neutrality, Chen wrote in a blog post that the company said was adapted from a letter sent to U.S. lawmakers on Wednesday. Policymakers must demand openness not just at the traffic and transport layer, but also at the content and applications layer, he added.

“Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM [BlackBerry Messenger] service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple’s iMessage messaging service,” Chen said. He also took a shot at streaming service Netflix for refusing to make its streaming movie service available to BlackBerry customers.

“Many other applications providers similarly offer service only to iPhone and Android users,” said Chen, who added that as a result a “two-tiered wireless broadband ecosystem” had been created where Android and iPhone users have more access to content and applications than users of mobile devices running other operating systems.

“Therefore, neutrality must be mandated at the application and content layer if we truly want a free, open and non-discriminatory internet,” said Chen, who added that all applications and content providers must be prohibited from discriminating based on the customer’s mobile operating system.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
very nice. should extend the law to force microsoft to make halo for the playstation, wii, and colecovision

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

RubberJohnny posted:

http://www.itworld.com/article/2873895/blackberry-wants-to-mandate-app-developers-to-make-apps-for-its-platform.html

BlackBerry CEO John Chen wants net neutrality to extend to content and applications, so that developers of apps for Android and iOS will be mandated to develop on the BlackBerry platform as well.

Not all content and app providers have embraced openness and neutrality, Chen wrote in a blog post that the company said was adapted from a letter sent to U.S. lawmakers on Wednesday. Policymakers must demand openness not just at the traffic and transport layer, but also at the content and applications layer, he added.

“Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM [BlackBerry Messenger] service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple’s iMessage messaging service,” Chen said. He also took a shot at streaming service Netflix for refusing to make its streaming movie service available to BlackBerry customers.

“Many other applications providers similarly offer service only to iPhone and Android users,” said Chen, who added that as a result a “two-tiered wireless broadband ecosystem” had been created where Android and iPhone users have more access to content and applications than users of mobile devices running other operating systems.

“Therefore, neutrality must be mandated at the application and content layer if we truly want a free, open and non-discriminatory internet,” said Chen, who added that all applications and content providers must be prohibited from discriminating based on the customer’s mobile operating system.

lmfao

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
is tgis real life?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

apple should release iMessage for android and blackberry, but keep the green bubble for non-iphone havers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RubberJohnny posted:

:downsbravo:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RubberJohnny posted:

that is extraordinary

i'm going to go create a phone os in my garage, and everybody should be forced to create apps for it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
someone call rotor cuz WEBOS IS BACK BABY

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

what is less irrelevant in 2015, webos or firefox os?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
2008: iphone? heh. blackberry remains a singular experience :smug:

2015: stop singling out blackberry :negative:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

RubberJohnny posted:

He also took a shot at streaming service Netflix for refusing to make its streaming movie service available to BlackBerry customers.

same except the VIC-20

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Unlike BlackBerry, which allows iPhone users to download and use our BBM service, Apple does not allow BlackBerry or Android users to download Apple’s iMessage messaging service. Netflix, which has forcefully advocated for carrier neutrality, has discriminated against BlackBerry customers by refusing to make its streaming movie service available to them.

bbm for iOS came out in october 2013 after they basically had no other choice.

man how the tables have turned when you are asking, begging, the competition to replace your best service on your own device

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

that is just embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

RubberJohnny posted:

He also took a shot at streaming service Netflix for refusing to make its streaming movie service available to BlackBerry customers

wait seriously? like every single electronic thing i've bought in the last decade that's more complex that a flashlight has had neflix pre-installed

• Locked thread