Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id715768417?mt=12

can u not use this

p sure its built into wandows 4 him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

ughh,remote access will involve me telling him to install poo poo from Microsoft and he will just balls it up and then he will bleat on about how windows xp was a perfectly fine and didn't need changing then he will go on and on about how I don't have a pc so I won't be able to remote access him for some obscure and bullshit reason gently caress it I'm going to tell him to buy a new pc from his favourite pc parts distributor [Chinese]

it took him almost 3 years to work out how to use the Samsung link think on his tv smart tv not webos
teamviewer works for everyone, re: i was able to guide my mother through setup
you can remote access him from whatever system then too (even mobile you need for some idiotic reason)
dxdiag is built into system, assuming he has windows
also you can tell him to gently caress off if he tries to climb on your head, unless he owes you money/favour ir gives those away without obligations

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ughh,remote access will involve me telling him to install poo poo from Microsoft and he will just balls it up and then he will bleat on about how windows xp was a perfectly fine and didn't need changing then he will go on and on about how I don't have a pc so I won't be able to remote access him for some obscure and bullshit reason gently caress it I'm going to tell him to buy a new pc from his favourite pc parts distributor [Chinese]

it took him almost 3 years to work out how to use the Samsung link think on his tv smart tv not webos

splashtop works well but u do need to isntall something

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

kalstrams posted:

teamviewer works for everyone, re: i was able to guide my mother through setup
you can remote access him from whatever system then too (even mobile you need for some idiotic reason)
dxdiag is built into system, assuming he has windows
also you can tell him to gently caress off if he tries to climb on your head, unless he owes you money/favour ir gives those away without obligations

I have heard of but never tried teamveiwe right. Ta muchly :)

he owes me lots. this will be more so I don't know why I bother other than to preserve family unity through acts of loyalty.

this is the same uncle who drove my tractor into my septic tank.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this is the same uncle who drove my tractor into my septic tank
poo poo happens

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

broke the vent plus a poo poo load of dirt fell into the tank so $1000, choice

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

this is the same uncle who drove my tractor into my septic tank.

the single most moo cow thing ever posted

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
moo cow the USB port might be hosed or some ultrashit device driver

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kalstrams posted:

remote connect

this is the important bit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

ultrashit device driver

u, w/ the post button

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

is there an actualy non-terrible discrete sound card for computers with non-terrible drivers? i got a cheap xonar dg? dx? because the onboard card made a buzzing sound in my headphones but the xonar broke rocksmith 2014 and it doesn't consistently switch between rear panel speakers and front panel headphones when i plug the headphones in

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

is there an actualy non-terrible discrete sound card for computers with non-terrible drivers? i got a cheap xonar dg? dx? because the onboard card made a buzzing sound in my headphones but the xonar broke rocksmith 2014 and it doesn't consistently switch between rear panel speakers and front panel headphones when i plug the headphones in

I have one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102054 and the drivers aren't terrible. when i went looking at the xonars, there were third-party drivers and i read through the poo poo they were trying to fix and gently caress that.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

do you have optical or coaxial spdif out? you could get a cheap DAC and use that

also USB DACs are a fine choice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Hopefully this helps someone out because it has been driving me crazy. In Outlook 2013 with both imap accounts I was getting this super irritating behavior where I would mark an item as read, and out of nowhere it would cycle back and generally act super slow and lovely. Cleared out the outlook profile, re-added, same behavior. I lived with it for a couple months before I noticed that on the imap accounts in the lower left corner of the window there was this little FILTER APPLIED button down there. Clicked on it, found out that outlook is creating a default filter to hide marked messages on all imap accounts. Cleared out the filter, everything works fine now. Thanks a loving lot, MichaelSoft.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

do you have optical or coaxial spdif out? you could get a cheap DAC and use that

also USB DACs are a fine choice

cool, i thought dacs were a lot more expensive. i'll try that with the spdif out on the onboard card

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bobbilljim posted:

moo cow the USB port might be hosed or some ultrashit device driver

I just rang him, literally in the middle of reinstalling windows.

he's on his own now. thanks for your advice smart goons.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ohhhhh

Someone who is knowledgeable about PC gubbins; Cast an eye over this and see if the memory linked in the comment section will play nice with the motherboard pls.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/NoneMoreNegative/saved/xfk8TW

I'm prob. going to wait until the 8GB GTX cards come out for my :pcgaming: 4K experience, so none of the above is set in stone.

Answering myself: Those boards only work with ECC RAM with a Xeon proc, so no dice :mad:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Answering myself: Those boards only work with ECC RAM with a Xeon proc, so no dice :mad:

don't buy an overclocking cpu in 2015, you lose out on a lot of the hardware features of the cpu. Don't buy a socket 2011 anything for gaming.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lampey posted:

don't buy a cpu in 2015, you lose out on a lot of the hardware features of the Mac. Don't buy anything for gaming.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lampey posted:

don't buy 2015

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

what's a modern program for PC hardware burn in testing? not just CPU/RAM like overclock stability testing but video, hard drive, etc. I think something in my computer is going bad but I can't figure out what.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it really probably is the CPU or the RAM. Intel makes a CPU stress tester that will probably touch some memory

going to name some things to blame: power, stuffed up heatsink, fried up memory

the rest tends to go in obvious ways (polygons or pixels in video, all of the data missing, etc)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anyone have experience with these half-height PCIe to PCI adapter cards? I got a vendor that's trying to turn a garbage optiplex desktop in to a server because they need a PCI slot and I'm not too keen on that. looking at one of these

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Card-PEX1PCI1/dp/B0024CV3SA

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

reviews sound bad
compatibilty is seriously questionable
and if all that works out you're still using an optiplex as anything but a book-end

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'd throw it in an R320 so I can actually monitor and keep the thing up. Its so stupidly cheap that I might as well give it a try to see if it works, the bad reviews are mostly coming from people who don't know what a half-height card means.

e: the vendor is also trying to me charge $5,000 for that optiplex that's worth $750

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

what's a modern program for PC hardware burn in testing? not just CPU/RAM like overclock stability testing but video, hard drive, etc. I think something in my computer is going bad but I can't figure out what.

use whatever apple uses at the factory & in ives lab by buying a mac op

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

my Chinese knockoff computer came with burnintest, seems to test everything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

im a chump and grabbed 3ds mark on a steam sale

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

there's furmark for video cards and I guess one of the crystal disk products for hard drives? if it passes SMART it's probably not the hard drive

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

trap sprung

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

compuserved posted:

trap sprung

what? it's difficult to render (or so i am told)

like that blue guy from monsters inc melted a bunch of computers at pixar or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

what? it's difficult to render (or so i am told)

like that blue guy from monsters inc melted a bunch of computers at pixar or something
he made amazingly hilarious furry joke (LMAO!11!11) about perfectly fine gpu becnhmark tool

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kalstrams posted:

he made amazingly hilarious furry joke (LMAO!11!11) about perfectly fine fur on an anime dog tits lady

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

kalstrams posted:

he made amazingly hilarious furry joke (LMAO!11!11) about perfectly fine gpu becnhmark tool

actually the joke was really bad

much like the rest of my posting

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
what was the company that did low volume pcbs in cute colours and shapes?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

more like dICK posted:

butterfly labs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

more like dICK posted:

oshpark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007