Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
tested out fedora 21 server quickly, I made a iscsi server for esxi and it ran at half the speed of centos 7
i didn't tune any settings for either of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

lol idk then is that like, fedora lts? what is the loving point

fedora where half the loving packages don't depend on the x libraries because someone decided that it was important to build vim with mouse support.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

fedora where half the loving packages don't depend on the x libraries because someone decided that it was important to build vim with mouse support.

Nah, that would actually be useful. Fedora server packages are the same as workstation.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
install oracle linux 7

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

Nah, that would actually be useful. Fedora server packages are the same as workstation.

:thumbsup:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Subjunctive posted:

loving freebsd of all things tries to install all of X and GTK with the default vim package.

who installs X on freebsd and who even uses GUI vim.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
why DesktopBSD of course, a high quality system that supports even less garbage software than your average linux, which is paradoxically a disadvantage

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

i use vim :ohdear:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

IPvSH6T posted:

loving freebsd of all things tries to install all of X and GTK with the default vim package.

who installs X on freebsd and who even uses GUI vim.

it's not even gvim, you can use the mouse on terminal vim

and to be fair on fedora there's vi (vim-minimal) and vim (vim-enhanced). I never noticed before that vim-enhanced comes with mouse support. but it's a little weird how it's not even enabled on /etc/vimrc (there's a /etc/virc for vim-minimal).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there's also a vim-X11

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I use vim-enhanced because you can't enable COLOURS on vim-minimal. I like colours.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

du -hast posted:

i use vim :ohdear:
        /

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

what the gently caress is fedora server

the anime lady that brings you pockys

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the anime lady that brings you pockys
Nice!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

du -hast posted:

why DesktopBSD of course, a high quality system that supports even less garbage software than your average linux, which is paradoxically a disadvantage

This is backwards; BSD has linux compatibility you can enable. So not only can you use whatever UNIX apps, you can install whatever linux apps you want. There are about 24k packages available at the moment. If it's important enough they've probably just ported it directly though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lysidas posted:

not convinced by https://getfedora.org/en/server/ that fedora server = rhel

lol im the server icon that looks like a menu icon that doesn't work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

lol idk then is that like, fedora lts? what is the loving point

as far as i can tell it's the same crazy short lifecycle as desktop fedora

i have no idea who the target audience is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

This is backwards; BSD has linux compatibility you can enable. So not only can you use whatever UNIX apps, you can install whatever linux apps you want. There are about 24k packages available at the moment. If it's important enough they've probably just ported it directly though.

linux compatibility on bsd is useless.

you have to have a complete linux userland to run even trivial applications. so you're managing your terrible garbage freebsd, and then also managing a hacked-up centos installation inside your freebsd root filesystem

this is also why nobody runs sco or solaris x86 applications on linux. in theory you could, in reality you would be copying a huge set of libraries from some other os, and that's just pointless

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

m'fedora
            /

also :saddowns:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

linux compatibility on bsd is useless.

you have to have a complete linux userland to run even trivial applications. so you're managing your terrible garbage freebsd, and then also managing a hacked-up centos installation inside your freebsd root filesystem

this is also why nobody runs sco or solaris x86 applications on linux. in theory you could, in reality you would be copying a huge set of libraries from some other os, and that's just pointless

isn't this literally lennart's proposed solution to cross-distro packaging?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Steam for linux just recursively deleted everything owned by my user in the file hierarchy. Including the 3tb drive I use for backups.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

keyvin posted:

Steam for linux just recursively deleted everything owned by my user in the file hierarchy. Including the 3tb drive I use for backups.

"lol"

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
good thing you have everything saved by a recent btrfs snapshot, right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

keyvin posted:

:psylon:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

keyvin posted:

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as far as i can tell it's the same crazy short lifecycle as desktop fedora

i have no idea who the target audience is

i talked to some coworkers about how stupid it sounds and they were like no way its cool blah blah. they said it has some kind of web interface and container template system ??

i guess this
https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit

so maybe its supposed to be babbys first server

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

keyvin posted:

does anyone remember if it was an nvidia driver or whatever a few years back that deleted /home instead of /home/driver-temp or whatever? i can't remember what it was exactly

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i would think that be more of a valve issue, and yeah the nvidia driver had a similar issue just recently as well

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

du -hast posted:

does anyone remember if it was an nvidia driver or whatever a few years back that deleted /home instead of /home/driver-temp or whatever? i can't remember what it was exactly

https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee-Old-and-abbandoned/issues/123

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

pro fucken click

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Celexi posted:

i would think that be more of a valve issue, and yeah the nvidia driver had a similar issue just recently as well
"you seem to be leaking files!"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
jesus christ

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Lol, quality shell scripting there gabe.

steam.sh : 467
code:
        # Scary!
        rm -rf "$STEAMROOT/"*
I am jack's utter lack of checking that the environment variable is set before running that command.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

is your bash not actually bash?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

it stands for Bespoke Artisanal SHell

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Symbolic Butt posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Symbolic Butt posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pseudorandom name posted:

Dunno, don't care. It was what someone posted in my bug ticket.