Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

I mean we're definitely homers. But LSU's losses were both worse, and we played 5 top 25 teams that season. Even the computers had us in. What a terrible season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Have I said lately how empirically bad VT's scheduling has been in the last 15 years and how it's cost them at least 1 national title appearance if not 2?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Have I said lately how empirically bad VT's scheduling has been in the last 15 years and how it's cost them at least 1 national title appearance if not 2?

Sure, we'd love to play Boise and then have 3 days of rest!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Nur_Neerg posted:

I mean we're definitely homers. But LSU's losses were both worse, and we played 5 top 25 teams that season. Even the computers had us in. What a terrible season.

Computers knew what was up, people kept us out by seeing that week 2 result. Gonna be a homer about 07 till the day I die.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Using rankings at the time you played isn't sincere, use the final season rankings. Also you lost to LSU by 41! points.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

swickles posted:

Using rankings at the time you played isn't sincere, use the final season rankings. Also you lost to LSU by 41! points.

We didn't have a single ranked team we played during the season fall out of the rankings. LSU had 3. We sure did get wrecked by LSU, luckily it was the catalyst to our QB getting benched in favor of a true freshman who turned out to be one of our best of all time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Georgia would've destroyed VT too. VT jumped Georgia on the last week of the season because (????).

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Georgia would've destroyed VT too. VT jumped Georgia on the last week of the season because (????).

Mmm that's a legit argument there.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Nur_Neerg posted:

Mmm that's a legit argument there.

Probably because VT was playing and Georgia wasn't since they didn't win their division. Also the computer's LOVED VT that year.

I'm a VT fan and while I can understand LSU getting in, I think VT had a good argument too. Not that it mattered since we poo poo the bed against Mangino and Co.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

drunk leprechaun posted:

Probably because VT was playing and Georgia wasn't since they didn't win their division. Also the computer's LOVED VT that year.

I'm a VT fan and while I can understand LSU getting in, I think VT had a good argument too. Not that it mattered since we poo poo the bed against Mangino and Co.

Yeah, we passed UGA because we beat the #12 team in the country handily in our conference championship game while they sat at home and wished they'd done well enough in conference to play in theirs. I was just being facetious. VT was pretty good then, but our QB/OL situation was awful at the beginning of the season. Got it turned around pretty well though.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Nur_Neerg posted:

Yeah, we passed UGA because we beat the #12 team in the country handily in our conference championship game while they sat at home and wished they'd done well enough in conference to play in theirs. I was just being facetious. VT was pretty good then, but our QB/OL situation was awful at the beginning of the season. Got it turned around pretty well though.

Ah gottcha. Yeah missed your sarcasm. Carry on.

vvvvv You and me both buddy. Tyrod ruled. vvvvvvv

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
All this 2007 talk makes me miss Tyrod Taylor a lot :( Who needs an offensive line, anyway?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

How can any Big 12 fans argue that OSU shouldn't have been in the playoffs when OSU just won it fair and square by undeniable margins?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
All the schools that got creamed in the playoffs weren't from the Big XII, that's how. :colbert:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
TCU fans are putting a ton of stock in beating an overrated SEC team.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

led by Bo Wallace

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Maxwells Demon posted:

How can any Big 12 fans argue that OSU shouldn't have been in the playoffs when OSU just won it fair and square by undeniable margins?

Wow 2 wins over some garbage teams that didn't deserve to be there over the TCU Horned Frogs and Baylor Bears, color me impressed. Big 12, bitch.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Baylor lost to sparty, so they are worthless garbage too wet and soggy to even catch on fire in the bottom of the portajohn some teenagers tried to set on fire

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sash! posted:

Baylor lost to sparty, so they are worthless garbage too wet and soggy to even catch on fire in the bottom of the portajohn some teenagers tried to set on fire

I'm okay with this description if it means that TCU is literally a small pile of wet poo poo. :v:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Maxwells Demon posted:

I think the argument is that TCU also deserved to be there and didn't get a chance to prove it. And they're right. Not OSU's fault, but still a lovely result for the first year of the CFP, and they have a legitimate complaint.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, we still kind of had one phony in there, it's just unfortunate that the phony in question was undefeated.

Wouldn't be a problem if we expanded to 8.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

JT Jag posted:

Some teams might lose good. Some times might win bad. The argument of Ohio State versus TCU was not good losses versus bad wins, however. It was a bad loss, singular, and multiple good wins versus a good loss, singular, and what was perceived as "bad wins". The team with the better wins on its resume was more impressive to the committee than the team with the better loss. If Ohio State hadn't blown the gently caress out of Wisconsin, TCU probably would have gotten in.

No, because TCU's "good loss" was against a team from their own conference with the same record as them. Even if Ohio State had lost to Wisconsin, the committee would have put in Baylor. They made that clear by ranking Baylor above them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The goal of the 4 team playoff was to make sure an undefeated team didn't get left out. It accomplished it's goal, and the rest is bickering among teams that dropped a game. If it was 8 teams then Ole Miss fans would have been bitching that Miss St got in over them.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sam Ficken is ESPN's #1 NFL prospect at kicker.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

The goal of the 4 team playoff was to make sure an undefeated team didn't get left out. It accomplished it's goal, and the rest is bickering among teams that dropped a game. If it was 8 teams then Ole Miss fans would have been bitching that Miss St got in over them.

Because Ole Miss was so clearly a playoff contender by the end?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Eltoasto posted:

It's eerie how similar these arguments are to the ones SEC fans used for years to justify one loss SEC teams going to the NCG over one loss teams for other conferences.

"Well, we won so I guess they made the right choice."

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Because Ole Miss was so clearly a playoff contender by the end?

They were ranked #9 by the playoff committee, 2 spots behind the team that they just beat. Those are the arguments you start getting with 8 teams. 4 teams means you get in all the undefeated teams from big conferences and then the 1-loss teams can fight it out. But that's ok, if you drop a game you aren't owed anything. The number of teams that are "clearly a playoff contender" will vary by year. I'm just not too keen on adding a 16th game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NippleFloss posted:

It's eerie how similar these arguments are to the ones SEC fans used for years to justify one loss SEC teams going to the NCG over one loss teams for other conferences.

"Well, we won so I guess they made the right choice."

Well duh homers generally pick the arguments that favor their teams.

SEC doesn't have monopoly on that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eltoasto posted:

Well, an undefeated big conference team at least. Anyway of course Ole Miss/Mississippi State/whoever would be whining, but it seems so completely obvious to me that it's better to push that argument away from the top. Within reason of course before the 128 team tournament joke gets thrown in again.

8 seems to be the sweet spot most people like to get everyone with a real argument in.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Maxwells Demon posted:

heres an article i just read i copied it from text and pasted it here with keyboard:
College Football Playoff a rousing success everywhere but Texas

true i dont know anyone who watched it except the thousands of ohio transplants living in texas because Ohio is so good
no one wants to watch some almost playoff, include all of the P5 champions and it'll be less inconclusive

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Wow 2 wins over some garbage teams that didn't deserve to be there over the TCU Horned Frogs and Baylor Bears, color me impressed. Big 12, bitch.

Sounds right, baylor bitch
oregon is just a worse version of baylor

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
People place way, way too much emphasis on non-title bowl results.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

Agreed. I remember some ex-college football player on a sports radio show a few weeks ago talking about how in their bowl games, they were more concerned about the destination of the game because it was a vacation for them. The game was just an exhibition.

Therefore, TCU's win over Ole Miss means absolutely nothing.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am in favor of doing whatever it takes to ensure Ohio State never wins another championship, up to and including bringing back the BCS

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

Sounds like someone's team can't win in the postseason. :smug:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

I am in favor of doing whatever it takes to ensure Ohio State never wins another championship, up to and including bringing back the BCS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

I am in favor of doing whatever it takes to ensure Ohio State never wins another championship, up to and including firebombing Columbus

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Maxwells Demon posted:

How can any Pac 12 fans argue that OU shouldn't have been in the playoffs when OU always loses to decent teams by undeniable margins?

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

I didn't understand why Pac-12 fans cared about Oklahoma losing a couple of championship games by 100 then I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Start a new war with Japan and then convince Barack Obama that Columbus is a sleeper cell city.

• Locked thread