Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Saint Celestine posted:

Sounds like you've already lost in the situation you first described.

Welcome to pub games, how long has it been since you played one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Welcome to pub games, how long has it been since you played one?

Yesterday? What's your point? You can't win every game. Just try to swing the odds in your favor as much as possible by platooning, aiming, etc.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Saint Celestine posted:

So fire your shot, have it bounce, and then lose the game/arty regardless.

Or, hold your shot, try to either reposition to get a better angle, or to aim at a weakspot.

Sounds like you've already lost in the situation you first described.

Let me give you a quick tip:

It's better for your mental health if you stop arguing with this idiot.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Saint Celestine posted:

Yesterday? What's your point? You can't win every game. Just try to swing the odds in your favor as much as possible by platooning, aiming, etc.

Which doesn't remotely change the fact that shooting all gold from an E-100 is too expensive to pub in frequently. Doesn't matter where you go or what you do, teams suck, packet loss sends shells into the distance, shells inexplicably bounce on things they overmatch, damage vanishes into subsystems. You're either winning at a credit loss, or throwing matches because you hold off waiting too long for the perfect shot.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else going to give the personal missions a try?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

RandomPauI posted:

With free tanks on the line, absolutely

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Which doesn't remotely change the fact that shooting all gold from an E-100 is too expensive to pub in frequently. Doesn't matter where you go or what you do, teams suck, packet loss sends shells into the distance, shells inexplicably bounce on things they overmatch, damage vanishes into subsystems. You're either winning at a credit loss, or throwing matches because you hold off waiting too long for the perfect shot.

Holy poo poo, I'm not sitting there just holding my shot the entire game. The E100 is not even the worst at this.

If you really want to see winning matches at a credit loss, play an STB.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I may eventually come back for a few games here and there because of this. Eventually.

Also, I have to agree with Camador - if you just give up because of a match going to poo poo you are giving up the match yourself. I really am going to have to re-learn with cam or hellsau or something so I can not start as a tomato.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm not sitting there just holding my shot the entire game. The E100 is not even the worst at this.

If you really want to see winning matches at a credit loss, play an STB.

how can you lose credits with STB, doesnt it have APCR as standard ammo?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Descar posted:

how can you lose credits with STB, doesnt it have APCR as standard ammo?

You need to be firing HEAT at a lot of targets. The Standard APCR won't go through poo poo like E100 turret faces, IS7 fronts, 113 plates, E5 Cupolas, etc.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

rockopete posted:

e: beaten, Valle found it. Try playing with it on, it takes some getting used to but overall I think it works better, no need to switch keys to maintain a turn arc if you suddenly need to reverse nope, in fact the opposite :downs: but it does help with rotating to avoid/deflect incoming fire.

Thanks to you and Valle, I'll look for it again.

LostCosmonaut posted:

gently caress pubbies

I love the entire platoon on your side that died without doing a point of damage.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Do you drive saintonan?

Reversing is the same as going forward. Your tank will turn in the direction you steer.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
If you don't have a shot in a E100 and then load HE, duh.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

If you don't have a shot in a E100 and then load HE, duh.

Sela does this.

Don't do this.

Its the loving worst idea ever.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I load HE into my E-100 for CW training so I can shoot friendlies without killing them too much :shrug:

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Saint Celestine posted:

Sela does this.

Don't do this.

Its the loving worst idea ever.
The one time I played with sela while he was playing an e-100 running he i decided to oneup him and do the same in a jpe.

I did 4k damage even though it would have been more like 9k shooting ap or heat

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I may eventually come back for a few games here and there because of this. Eventually.

Also, I have to agree with Camador - if you just give up because of a match going to poo poo you are giving up the match yourself. I really am going to have to re-learn with cam or hellsau or something so I can not start as a tomato.

If you want to win, watch Camador play. If you want to get good, watch Camador play.

Don't imitate Hellsau that dude is terrible. Also I don't even play tanks - I've been organizing thirty thousand Magic cards instead of playing Tanks. gently caress pubbies.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Anyone have a working hedge trimmer link that's current? I remember not having one bothering the gently caress out me.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

rockopete posted:

Ah I'm utter poo poo at articulating. The setting I have it at means that A will always turn my tank's nose to the left, regardless of forwards or backwards movement. Meaning that if I'm trying to rotate my front end to face someone, I use the same directional key going forwards or reversing.

Ah right, I see. So basically to keep your front towards an enemy tank trying to circle you, you'll go from AW to AS, while I'll go from AW to SD. I'm still sure not how people see this as "natural", but you're not the first case to ask about the reverse inverse function. I guess you're just special snowflakes! :sun:

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
After watching some of the replays of the alpha on youtube I'm getting really hyped for World of Warships, I know I shouldn't after Warplanes but it just looks like it actually works and I can't wait to get my hands on it to try it out.

Between Warships and Armored Warfare I'm really excited to see where this genre of games is going.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

DonkeyHotay posted:

The one time I played with sela while he was playing an e-100 running he i decided to oneup him and do the same in a jpe.

I did 4k damage even though it would have been more like 9k shooting ap or heat

Exactly.

The games where Sela plays an HE-E100, and does like 5k damage, its because Sela is already an extremely good player, and if he was using AP/HEAT, its likely he would have done even more damage.

Its not easily repeatable by most everyone.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Sphrin posted:

After watching some of the replays of the alpha on youtube I'm getting really hyped for World of Warships, I know I shouldn't after Warplanes but it just looks like it actually works and I can't wait to get my hands on it to try it out.

Between Warships and Armored Warfare I'm really excited to see where this genre of games is going.

The Warships leaks annoyed me. How many people needed to start leaking and get banned in tier one anyway?

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

NTRabbit posted:

Which doesn't remotely change the fact that shooting all gold from an E-100 is too expensive to pub in frequently.

Please stop being bad at the tanks thanks in advance oh seven

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

rossmum posted:

If I was to pick a T10 TD to pubstomp with it would be the 263 or 268 [...] a better version of the same concept exists (the T30).
:what:
If you're going to complain about the E3 being less effective at tier than the T30, the 268 is an awful counterexample. It is the poster child for being worse than the tier 9.

NTRabbit posted:

Well that's totally absurd, what if it's either shoot HEAT at the side of an IS-3/7 or lose your artillery to it and potentially the game? That's ok, I'm holding my shot waiting for a better opportunity.
So move and get a better shot, or lose your irrelevant artillery and win anyway (I spent my last ~500 games soloing and team killing artillery at the maximum possible rate, and my win rate was unaffected) or aim correctly and damage the IS-3/7 through the tracks?

How do you manage to be wrong about so many unrelated things, NTRabbit?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Sphrin posted:

Have you checked out Fractured Space? I'm about this . . close to buying it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310380/

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

James Garfield posted:

If you're going to complain about the E3 being less effective at tier than the T30, the 268 is an awful counterexample. It is the poster child for being worse than the tier 9.

What? The 268 loving owns, and has actual mobility, unlike the 704.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Subyng posted:

Do you drive saintonan?

I do drive, but I don't use a keyboard to do it.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

NTRabbit posted:

As I understand it nobody wants to bring the FV215b(183) or W-100 to anything clannish either, but they still both boss the gently caress out of pub matches on account of being able to utterly annihilate every tier 8 and 9 in the game with only a 5% chance of a single effective retaliation shot, and are still readily capable of loving up the not so great tier 10s, and the better tier 10s driven by not so great players.

In contrast the E-100 is the go-to clan stuff tank (still? I think?), but is fairly pointless to drive in pubs because, while it's still powerful, it's so ridiculously expensive to fire the mandatory HEAT shells all battle that there's no point to driving one unless you're really, really into the thing.

Object 140 is boss at both clan and pub though.

Those of us who aren't poo poo can actually make a profit in pubs in the e100 very easily. Also, lol @ 183 and Wfl-e100 being 'boss'.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Is there a place- a channel mayhaps, where one can watch Camador, best player NA stream his exploits?

Edit: Also, a little late to the E4/T30 discussion, but.

I think Rossmum was saying that the T30 is better and more flexible than the E4 because it has more gun depression and a better turret, but man, I am really not having such a fun time with my T30. The turret that was great at tier 7 is unreliable at best at tier 9 and 10: the guns are so much more accurate and powerful that people can casually aim for your cupola and miss it, but still easily overmatch the top of the turret if their guns are good enough. Also occasionally, someone manages to snipe the little lip on top of the mantlet by accident, and even when going hulldown, some people are smart enough to just load HEAT and shoot right through the mantlet.

I though the great turret + tier 10 gun would make for a fantastic combination. So far I have been unable to make it work, sadly.

OSad fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 15, 2015

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So if I start as soon as possible, platoon with goons, and sacrifice a goat, what're the chances that I'll be one of the first 5 players to earn a Stug and win the contest?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
I really didn't mean to start a war over the E4 guys goddamn.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

rossmum posted:

Really? I thought the 268 was widely regarded as pretty bad nowadays. I have the 704 and although it turns like a boat the straight line speed is adequate.

This wotlabs article has a low opinion of it and even claims the 704 is better in absolute terms not just at tier. http://wotlabs.net/articles/comparison-object-268-vs-object-704/

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 15, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:allears:

rossmum posted:

Just had a pretty kick rear end game in mine. When left alone, it can lay down the pain.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 15, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I double post like a scumbag.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

xthetenth posted:

The Warships leaks annoyed me. How many people needed to start leaking and get banned in tier one anyway?

The same people who can't keep themselves from taking pictures of what they're eating and putting it on their Facebook wall.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

quote:

Victory
Winter Himmelsdorf
Challenger
Experience received:3,132 (x2 for the first victory each day) Credits received 33,129
Battle achievements Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "II Class"

Repairs: -6 234
Ammunition: -4 550
Total: 22 345 WN8: 4 589 (100)

Seriously though, the challenger is the new amx-40. It sucks so drat badly. tier 7 match? eh, ok, it can work. Tier 8s? Umm, yeah, not really. tier 9s? just drown yourself, even gold won't fix it. I already free-xped out of the tank, but I keep punishing myself with it as I really don't want to fly around in a charioteer without 6th sense. It might help the challenger too, but I doubt it.

Edit: the replay:

Seriously, watch how ridiculous this was.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 15, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Axetrain posted:

This wotlabs article has a low opinion of it and even claims the 704 is better in absolute terms not just at tier.
Yeah no, that's horseshit, the 268 is fine. The massive leap in mobility alone makes up for any downsides compared to the 704.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

rossmum posted:

704>268 :colbert:

Crash74
May 11, 2009

thylacine posted:

Have you checked out Fractured Space? I'm about this . . close to buying it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310380/

Dont do this. Its a buggy piece of poo poo no one plays, and it has huge bugs such as: You cannot cancel joining a server once you click to join. So then you are stuck joining the server until you ctrl-alt-del out and start over. So with like 50 open servers 2-3 have people in them. It took me 6 tries to join a game. In the 3 games I was actually able to join it would put 5 people on one team and one on the other, People would all spam the sniper ships and rape the gently caress out of you when you could not even see them, Game would randomly cut off right before the end of the match so you would not get any points, Map is garbage (You think wot is bad with always having 3 lanes, well this really is just a 3 lanes with waypoints laid out in three rows) The grind is also 10x worse than wot, you need 10-20k to get the next ship and I was only getting 200ish with 4-5 kills each battle.

E: So in conclusion, they made a game that is somehow worse in every way to wot, and is not made by russians :iiam:.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Nordick posted:

Yeah no, that's horseshit, the 268 is fine. The massive leap in mobility alone makes up for any downsides compared to the 704.

What is a worse tier 10 TD than the 268? It's an honest question. I only have 2 (the Waffle and the E3) but it doesn't seem to compare favorably to many of them. The only thing that comes to mind is the Foch, even the 183 has a gimmick it can fall back on.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 15, 2015