Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How much service do you have to your shop? I know most homes are around 200 amps, and a giant majority of sub panels are 100 amp. I know your new shop is set up well though.

Not enough for full tilt. I have a 100A panel out here, but only fed it with wire appropriate for 50 amps (which is what it's broken at on the main panel). I've run it on the medium setting at 100% on the dial and it melts the poo poo out of 1/2" mild steel. I'm not sure I'll need more than that, although thicker aluminum work supposedly gets nasty (it transmits heat too well so you need to crank the power).

But if I want to run much more power on this thing I'll need a different torch also and will probably want a watercooled one. Which means I'll obviously have to cobble a watercooler together out of rover/porsche parts. It came with a different torch that's a reasonable duty cycle at max amperage, but it's huge (air cooled) and has the worst loving cable ever - it's PVC and you can't even bend the thing when it's cold out. My main torch that I got for it is this bastard with a superflex cable, which weighs almost nothing and you can bend into a 2" radius or less.

As far as plasma cutters go........that's definitely on the list. But I think a nice metal bandsaw will come first.

drat that's a nice setup. Looks like you're a superflex whore too. What are you running for a torch and cooler?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have never mig welded before, but I could do decent with a stick, and from what I have been told, if you can do stick, mig is a breeze.

Making passable MIG welds is super easy, especially with ANY prior welding experience. It comes down to learning how to set up the machine and practice, practice, practice. TIG will be easier to learn to some extent with prior stick experience (at least it seems like that's what's helping me), although it's more like oxy fuel welding because you're feeding rod (never done that). I'm finding it a lot more challenging but way more satisfying than the electric glue gun (MIG). You have so much more control and if you're good enough and find the right filler can basically make any kind of metal stick to any other kind of metal.

And now I often find myself watching TV with a glove on feeding rod just to practice, because I'm a huge nerd like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

TIG will be easier to learn to some extent with prior stick experience (at least it seems like that's what's helping me), although it's more like oxy fuel welding because you're feeding rod (never done that).

I have done some brazing before, but honestly, it was pretty awful and not for critical use. It looked TERRIBLE.

The only other thing I would really like but isn't a deal breaker is the ability to add a spool gun, but again, I don't think it will a be a deal breaker. The downside to plasma cutters is the ones that are high end are pretty much out of my price range as of now, and the other options are the lovely Chinese models. I think I will save for the Hobart model with the built in compressor. Again, I don't think I will ever be hitting the 1/2 stuff, and mostly 1/4 is honestly the biggest I will most likely go.

I would like to get a metal band saw as well, but thats further down the list. Honestly though I need to just start melting metal together and see what interests me the most. Right now its just doing body work, but I have been hankering to build a go-kart or some form of bar stool racer. Or just something motorized that's completely pointless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
#beardpride

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wow that is a terrible beard.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

I've seen rear end hair look better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

#beardpride

:colbert: I have to shave because I'm Air National Guard.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
my beard was thicker when I was 20 years old

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think I will save for the Hobart model with the built in compressor. Again, I don't think I will ever be hitting the 1/2 stuff, and mostly 1/4 is honestly the biggest I will most likely go.

The old Jeep resto garage I occasionally do work at has the Hobart with the compressor built in and it's a fantastic little machine. I've never done anything more than 14 gauge with it, but it definitely has the power to do more. I don't know how much more, but it's a great little box for what it is and absolutely the exact thing I'm looking for unless something heavier duty falls into my lap.....and even then it might be a tough decision because having the pump built in means it's really portable.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: I have to shave because I'm Air National Guard.

Air Guard is like ROTC. You don't go telling people you're in the Air Guard.

(I'm Army Guard, same poo poo different filth)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a sort of friend of mine. He's a very talented singer currently working on an album of metal Diseny covers. Sadly his personal grooming skills are terrible.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

MrChips posted:

I grew a beard recently, it's all grey. The only part that's not is the mo. So I shaved it off but kept the mo (*terrible confessions).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Air Guard is like ROTC. You don't go telling people you're in the Air Guard.

(I'm Army Guard, same poo poo different filth)

But I got the license plate and everything :qq:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Goddamn parts are ridiculous these days. Roomie's Taurus decided that having a working starter was not something it enjoyed, so we had to replace that tonight. Had to front him $172 for a new one. loving hell...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

T1g4h posted:

Goddamn parts are ridiculous these days. Roomie's Taurus decided that having a working starter was not something it enjoyed, so we had to replace that tonight. Had to front him $172 for a new one. loving hell...

Better an expensive starter than a cheap* radiator.

*Go look up the service procedure and ask yourself how much you value your time.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Jesus... That's a ton for a starter. (Its a Vulcan right?) That's such a common engine you'd think it would be cheaper.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Picture-heavy post (for me) coming up:

Decided to drag the Enfield out after six or eight or whatever months of not riding it.

First order, new tires. The front is from 2007 and the rear is 2010 or 2011. Rear is still good, but Kenda K671s are like $50 apiece so I bought two

Old and busted vs new hotness:

Old vs new rear. About 2-3k on the old rear, with 15-25 horsepower. Not a lot of stress on that driving wheel :haw:

Old front's date code:

I was riding on this for years

:catstare: :jebstare: :stare:

Unfortunately, after a whole two loving hours of work, it turns out I punctured the innertube, and I can't inflate it. gently caress it, on payday, I'm bringing both new tires and the wheels to a shop to have them do the tube replacements and mounts. I can't handle any more levering, and I'm willing to pay :tenbux: :tenbux: for two date code 2414 tires.

Funny license plate I saw on the way to get new innertubes.

BONUS I 3D printed some visor clips for the Beetle. The old ones are impossible to find, and I could make these in glow-in-the-dark plastic (the only "white" filament I have on hand." Seriously looks so much better.

(this one has some of the raft I later removed still stuck to it)

EDIT: looks like I put the rear on in 2011 (link to imgur album of me installing it).

Reminder: this is what it looked like in 2011. So glad I repainted it and pulled the other poo poo off:

And this is what happened to the paint in just over a year in Phoenix.

(don't have a full shot, but it was so chalky even a wax just "soaked in")

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 15, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah thats almost the price for a rover v8 starter. goddamn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

:stare:

Oh my god why did I not know about this? Buying this tonight. Post haste.

Edit: Is that rootbeer milk?!

Rootbeer is good, but the pro choice is orange.

They spent a lot of time / money restoring some old bottling hardware to be able to put it in glass bottles the way god intended milk to be delivered. Mooecow, if you ever do a resto project on something like that, post it in here dammit. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
gently caress if it is for a 3.0 vulcan tell me where I am sending the starter that I got with the new engine for my dad's 2000 ranger. I bet it fits in a 15 dollar flatrate, how's 35 bucks shipped sound? I paid like 20 for it including core and taxes.

Just doublecheck that rockauto says the same one fits his taurus and a 2000 3.0/auto ranger first.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Holy poo poo those tires.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

kastein posted:

gently caress if it is for a 3.0 vulcan tell me where I am sending the starter that I got with the new engine for my dad's 2000 ranger. I bet it fits in a 15 dollar flatrate, how's 35 bucks shipped sound? I paid like 20 for it including core and taxes.

Just doublecheck that rockauto says the same one fits his taurus and a 2000 3.0/auto ranger first.

Pretty sure it's the Vulcan, 3.0 V6. Don't worry about it though, we already got the new starter on and the old one boxed up. Just shocked me, that's crazy expensive for a starter. Hell, my new radiator was only $100, i'm amazed a starter could be that insane :psyduck:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

quote:

beardchat

I understand beards (not that kind CSB) and their appeal, but I the feeling after a good wet shave is just so loving incredible I couldn't ever give it up. Plus my facial hair grows in such a way that I would have the gooniest loving neckbeard you could imagine. It would almost be as bad as Captain Gingerbeard up there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

did u no

that you cna... shave only hte neck? if you want

and still beard

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Fucknag posted:

did u no

that you cna... shave only hte neck? if you want

and still beard

What the gently caress is this poo poo

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I can only grow big dumb sideburns. Good for Blues Brothers costumes, bad for not looking like an idiot the other 364 days of the year.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I can only grow a beard up to about a quarter inch from my chin. Doesn't help that I'm an amply-necked gentleman, but facial hair and not looking like a freak isn't an option.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo

It's called unironic shitposting, son. get on board.

E; real answer it's dumb seeing guys say they won't grow a beard because they have a lot of neck hair. that's literally what beard trimmers are for.

but i only grow a beard because i hate my loving face so i want to hide it as much as possible.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

This winter is the first time i've ever grown a proper beard, i'm finding I actually like how I look with a beard way more than I do cleanshaven.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Fucknag posted:

It's called unironic shitposting, son. get on board.

E; real answer it's dumb seeing guys say they won't grow a beard because they have a lot of neck hair. that's literally what beard trimmers are for.

but i only grow a beard because i hate my loving face so i want to hide it as much as possible.

Do me a quick favor and delete the 9 on your forumid.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

Adiabatic posted:

Oh poo poo. Here comes pac-man.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm a recent convert to beard oil. poo poo works wonders on not only keeping it soft, but also keeping it growing in the correct direction, rather than in whatever way it deems appropriate.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

MrChips posted:

I understand beards (not that kind CSB) and their appeal, but I the feeling after a good wet shave is just so loving incredible I couldn't ever give it up. Plus my facial hair grows in such a way that I would have the gooniest loving neckbeard you could imagine. It would almost be as bad as Captain Gingerbeard up there.

I would love to take part in the "good wet shave with a safety razor" thing going on, but unfortunately I am bald as gently caress which means I have to grow a beard if I don't want to look like a broke-rear end Moby, and there's no way I'm shaving my head with a safety razor.

Beard oil is the poo poo though, and I fully endorse it. You can make your own with some poo poo from Amazon for way cheaper than you buy it pre-mixed.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

jamal posted:

Ok thanks. I kinda mangled up the antenna getting the back of the case off so I'm thinking that's the problem, although like I said data, wifi, and texts still work. Have a new one coming. It is stock firmware but I'll do a reset if the antenna doesn't fix it.

Well.. I was assuming you didn't mangle it. I'd also replace the antenna first, then. SMS can be sent via Wi-Fi gateway for providers, so that isn't entirely surprising.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

Even i have too much bowel control for that.

e: god dammit they are loving WITH THE STYLE SHEETS AGAIN

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 15, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

now accepting applications to punch me in the head like the piece of garbage I am

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fucknag posted:

now accepting applications to punch me in the head like the piece of garbage I am

We already have a 13" dick.. And a guy with a similar moniker. :getout:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GODDAMNIT STOP loving WITH THE FONTS

Got all my W2's. Looks like Pizza Hut never setup my withholding correctly; they withheld a whole $700 last year for federal taxes :wtc:. Watched my refund go from high triple digits to $38 in TurboTax once that W2 got imported; I guess I didn't notice last year because I got a huge education credit. And my income was higher than I estimated for my medical insurance subsidy, so I'm going to wind up having to repay some of that. I'm waiting for healthcare.gov to come back up so I can get the last form I need for my taxes, I think I'm going to wind up owing a little bit for the subsidy.

leica posted:

drat I've had good luck lately with craigslist, just sold a bunch of poo poo for the asking prices with no haggling, and just picked up a set of Yakima towers, crossbars and cargo carrier for $130 in like new condition because I ended up knowing the guy that was selling it! Now all I need is a hitch and hitch mount bike rack and the Camry is ready for camping hells yeah gently caress SUV's.

The last time I sold something on Craigslist, I actually made a small profit.

A kit lens, of all things. I had priced it expecting some haggling (I bought the body without a lens, but found the matching kit lens the same day to tide me over until I could get a prime AF-S lens). Got it nice and clean, threw up a couple of decent photos, guy paid asking price for it. Which was :20bux: more than I paid for it.

Fucknag posted:

e: god dammit they are loving WITH THE STYLE SHEETS AGAIN

I got a pretty nasty headache just reading 2 pages of the thread. :argh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

#beardpride

...why don't the friends of these people tell them they look loving awful?

Me, on a carousel at the Christmas market with an actual beard. #stuntinlikemydaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Welder chat.

I bought my greenbird TIG from my friend, he had been welding with it for 3? 4? years and it's still going strong.

Before that I used a home made tig made with a thunderbolt power supply and a commercial high frequency unit.

For mig I have a 140amp Clarke that gets me into plenty of trouble. Currently it's the only welder I can run since I don't have 220v in the garage.

• Locked thread