Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Smith's turn into PG movies came as his son turned 5, the age at which he's going to watch movies on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

edit
I just noticed a Luc Besson film I'd never heard of called The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec. Has anyone seen it? Is it poo poo?

I've watched it and really enjoyed it. It's got a similar energy and charm to it of movies like Amelie and Wes Anderson's stuff, with the adventurous spirit of Indiana Jones or The Mummy (with Brendan Frasier). It's based off a series of comics, so it gets pretty fantastical and there are 'leaps' in terms of plotting, but I thought it was really well done and as I mentioned, had a really fun time watching it.

It's a movie I'd definitely recommend if someone wants to watch a non-grimdark adventure movie.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 14, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I'm not sure of the opinions of either here, but I think I like Z Nation more than Walking Dead. In fact at times it seems like it's just like "oh hey here's the entire plot of season X in one or two episodes and also done not super lame and dramatic.'

It starts off really really rough but the more I watch the more I like it. Also DJ Qualls went from being one of my least favorite characters to my favorite which deserves recognition of its own.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 14, 2015

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I can't believe I am spoilering a Whole Nine Yards thing but it was pretty dumb how they told the cops that the dentist had no idea about how the hitman died but then he married his widowed wife. Canada has terrible detectives.

I think it's got something to do with it not being The Tulip that died, but his already fake persona. The guy that supposedly moved next door to Perry probably wasn't listed as married. Of course, then how could the guy's wife remarry without getting a divorce. Maybe she also declared her husband dead? I can't believe I'm trying to justify the logic in The Whole Nine Yards.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

The BBC sucks at signing licenses with Netflix. Once a year most of their stuff goes down (including Doctor Who and Sherlock and whatnot) for a bit until they sign contracts again. I'm sure it'll be back up.

Peep show is nothing to do with the BBC.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah, before Peep Show went up, they had That Mitchell and Webb Look up for a while. It got taken down shortly before Peep Show arrived so maybe they'll rotate it back in. :shobon:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It has disappeared from Netflix before though. They re-added it around the time series 8 came out.

I just watched the Quantocks episode. The drug frisbee is a high point of the series I think.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Leper Residue posted:

I'm not sure of the opinions of either here, but I think I like Z Nation more than Walking Dead. In fact at times it seems like it's just like "oh hey here's the entire plot of season X in one or two episodes and also done not super lame and dramatic.'

It starts off really really rough but the more I watch the more I like it. Also DJ Qualls went from being one of my least favorite characters to my favorite which deserves recognition of its own.

Yeah I originally dismissed Z Nation as a dumber version of the Walking Dead with way crappier VFX. It does grow on you though and while stuff like the zombie-nado are in fact dumber and crappier looking than anything on TWD, it's way more fun to watch, it keeps things moving at a good clip, and it's way more fun when your dumb zombie show doesn't take itself so goddamn seriously.

I also liked that most of the people they encounter are trying to carry on rebuilding some kind of community for themselves. It's a more realistic take on human society post major disaster than the TWD's "everyone else is just all about murder 24/7, it's so dark and gritty guys".

I wasn't super pumped about the finale though since the show seems to be in danger of going up it's own rear end chasing it's own mythology. Although the cliffhanger was so over the top it was almost a parody of dramatic cliffhangers.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The point is redundant because Peep Show is broadcast from a UK TV channel which is completely separate to the BBC called Channel 4. That Mitchell and Webb Look might follow the pattern because it was made by the BBC but this reasoning can't be applied to Peep Show.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Also, if you need a quick comedy fix, Aliens on the Moon: The Truth Exposed is hilarious from start to finish, and I mean laugh out loud funny

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I got bored and watched some terrible UFO thing with Dan Akroyd in it once, and all I got were loving conspiracy/alien doc recommendations for like an entire year. Never again, guy.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I went in knowing that and I'm glad I watched it anyway. Netflix recommendations are crap, usually, so it won't make much difference.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Truth. Netflix loves Maron too. No matter what I watch it recommends Maron. You watched Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell maybe you would like Maron. Maron.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you like Peep Show you need to watch David Mitchells Soapbox videos on YouTube.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Truth. Netflix loves Maron too. No matter what I watch it recommends Maron. You watched Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell maybe you would like Maron. Maron.

Season one was pretty funny. Season two was just awkward and sad. I hate the Louie show too though so I guess I'm just weird

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

This show is great, doesn't take itself seriously at all, and the plot actually advances at a decent pace. It's equal parts hacky SciFi channel acting ("I'm going to send you to walk among the dead" is a serious line in the first episode) and ridiculous humor with grimdark elements, I mean the Doc character smokes weed with a zombie while they're trapped in an air duct.

And DJ Qualls is great in Legit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Me too. I have 0 interest in this, never watch standup shows ever and it's popping up like mad.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Cheers season 1 is 32 years old but still rules and is as funny as any modern show I watch. it does such a fantastic job of making the joke funny on every line, and making every line give funny context to every other line

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In other news, Cheers is 32 loving years old. Jesus.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Aye Doc posted:

Cheers season 1 is 32 years old but still rules and is as funny as any modern show I watch. it does such a fantastic job of making the joke funny on every line, and making every line give funny context to every other line

It's true, Cheers is just as good a any modern sitcom.

:ssh: Which means it's terrible.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's true, Cheers is just as good a any modern sitcom.

:ssh: Which means it's terrible.

Cheers and Frasier for life; it's sad that Wings turned out to be so mediocre upon second viewing it ruined the extended Cheersverse

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I wish there was a gif of Dan Akroyd eating cigs all the dang time. Him smoking wouldn't let my ears comprehend any of the nonsense he spoke. I love that ufo special.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Um what there's a netflix Wet Hot American Summer coming out?

quote:

Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler, H. Jon Benjamin, Michael Ian Black, Judah Friedlander, Janeane Garofalo, Nina Hellman, Ken Marino, Zak Orth, David Hyde Pierce, Joe Lo Truglio, Christopher Meloni, A.D. Miles, Marguerite Moreau, Marisa Ryan, Molly Shannon, Kevin Sussman, and David Wain himself

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollyw...social_facebook

8 episodes, original cast included. Also Paul Sheer. WTF I've been following this thread religiously when did this happen?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

A MIRACLE posted:

8 episodes, original cast included. Also Paul Sheer. WTF I've been following this thread religiously when did this happen?

This is the best news ever.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Catwoman is on HBOgo till Valentine's Day. Beat still my heart.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Junkie Disease posted:

Catwoman is on HBOgo till Valentine's Day. Beat still my heart.

I agree, the movie Catwoman does make me wish my heart would stop. In an unrelated but similar topic, rumor has it some of those stunts are done by slender, effeminate men. I don't care enough to look it up myself. I prefer the mystery.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Also, if you need a quick comedy fix, Aliens on the Moon: The Truth Exposed is hilarious from start to finish, and I mean laugh out loud funny

This is pretty funny. I'm glad that there are still plenty of cranks making and appearing in specials like this even though the internet gives them everything they need. I love the one real scientist who just keeps sighing and patiently explaining science to the unseen documentarian. I wonder how much she knew about the special when she agreed to be in it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I bet she didn't get to see the final edit before release anyway. Most of what she said was lies I think. she had no evidence. The narrator had loads of evidence, evidence like this

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Damnit Netflix if you're going to announce a new series based on a movie, you should have the movie streaming!

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Waking life is on netflix.

It's a love it/hate it, you'll most likely hate it sort of thing. Some would say it's way up its own rear end as it's just a bunch of people preaching with really trippy visuals, and it is.

But god drat if you want a good first acid trip. It's not in the sense of "get drunk/high" and watch this. It's more in the sense that Enter the Void is. It's one of those baseless movies that wanders around and is pretty good fodder for the best kind of stimulation. It doesn't exactly have a coherent plotline and nothing that happens in the movie really matters. Not to mention it goes to those places best left to ponder especially when in an altered state.

Just for clarity I no longer trip balls sadly. So I'm not intentionally soliciting/glorifying the use of substances to enhance viewing pleasure. I do know however having a fat stack of movies you can just randomly throw on and it'll be reliant that it's good enough to go on in the background at least.

The movie as is, is like philosophy 101 for dummies with a really cool visual gimmick in which every frame is hand drawn. That might sound a bit silly but considering the style varies from scene to scene and every frame is played with in some way makes it cool in my book. They may have used software, definitely used computers. But I know for a fact that A Scanner Darkly was done mostly by computers. This is made up for by being trippy as all loving hell.

If you read this entire post you can probably watch this movie.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 16, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People trash Waking Life but I've always dug most of it and think that most of the speakers are charismatic. Speed Levitch is a delight.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
scream 4 loving sucks

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

scream 4 loving sucks

the opposite reading is correct

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nah it's total dogshit.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

precision posted:

People trash Waking Life but I've always dug most of it and think that most of the speakers are charismatic. Speed Levitch is a delight.

If anything it's sort of a great typical human day. Meeting a shitload of new people and having incredibly interesting conversation with them. I don't think there's a single speaker I dislike. Each is incredibly unique and no one is redundant. My favorite has to be the ukelele guy. Also Speed was probably the best sequence of them all (for me apart from the "chill room" with the ukelele guy). Every trailer had that scene in it.

Not to mention it's not like interesting things don't happen in the film either... Just don't count on it much for plot.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I might just check out Waking Life for the bit with Jesse and Celine from the Before trilogy.

And Scream 4 is okay.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Scream 4 skates by on the virtue that ANYTHING is better than Scream 3.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I always like to think waking life is a near death experience that gives a young man a really good idea. Whether he survives or by a comic tragedy doesn't is open to interpretation.

But that's what I like to think. There's plenty there to say that scene didn't exist in literal form and was sort of a "THE MOVIE IS STARTING"

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 16, 2015

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Has there been any new development on Netflix still getting rid of BBC programming? Also the massive influx of more Frontline is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

wa27 posted:

Damnit Netflix if you're going to announce a new series based on a movie, you should have the movie streaming!

itll be up again soon, def before they launch the series

• Locked thread