Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I would like the restriction on Viking horns to be removed. Viking horns were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

You are all wrong... Super Aguri had the best car/colors of all time! There is no debating this! It has the best green!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Human Grand Prix posted:

5 minute lap time.

and yet was only the second slowest car in 1990

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, Coultard may have had a point when he complained about the new Superlicense points system

This article on Autosport highlight a couple of issues:

quote:

Table 1: current F1 drivers and how many superlicence points they would have had at the time of their debut

Eligible for superlicence:
Nico Hulkenberg 110
Lewis Hamilton 98
Pastor Maldonado 68
Nico Rosberg 63
Romain Grosjean 60
Felipe Nasr 52
Valtteri Bottas 50
Sebastian Vettel 48
Sergio Perez 42
Daniil Kvyat 42

Not eligible for superlicence:
Daniel Ricciardo 38
Carlos Sainz Jr 38
Felipe Massa 30
Fernando Alonso 30
Max Verstappen 20
Jenson Button 15
Marcus Ericsson 14
Kimi Raikkonen 5

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
All I see there is it having an adverse effect on the Red Bull Child Slavery Incubation problem and some horrible pay driver.

Alonso, Raikkonen, Massa and Button would have made it or maybe they wouldn't have made it to F1. Who knows and who cares. Let's just apply that superlicense rule to all the decades of F1 preceding it. These are the rules now going forward. Not much point looking back now.

What if Hitler was disqualified from becoming head of the Nazi party? Huh, what then, tough guy?

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

Wirth1000 posted:

What if Hitler was disqualified from becoming head of the Nazi party? Huh, what then, tough guy?

well_that_escalated_quickly.jpg

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Godwins law in full effect

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

People would have tried to debut differently, by choosing to race in different series to maximise their chance of maximum points

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Wirth1000 posted:

All I see there is it having an adverse effect on the Red Bull Child Slavery Incubation problem and some horrible pay driver.

Alonso, Raikkonen, Massa and Button would have made it or maybe they wouldn't have made it to F1. Who knows and who cares. Let's just apply that superlicense rule to all the decades of F1 preceding it. These are the rules now going forward. Not much point looking back now.

are you suggesting that are daniel would not have made it?????

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

coaxmetal posted:

are you suggesting that are daniel would not have made it?????

simplefish posted:

People would have tried to debut differently, by choosing to race in different series to maximise their chance of maximum points

Janky The Clown
Jan 13, 2015
I don't have an issue with the new licensing rules. The top tier of drivers will still find their way to F1 no matter what.

simplefish posted:

There will always be a way to game the system a little bit, and I think you got it right. Drivers running in diffrent series with diffrent cars would really only help them in the long run.

When Kimi came to F1 there was a very loud and vocal opposition to him getting his license. Would Kimi running a year of GP2 have hurt his F1 chances? I think not.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

For what it's worth, an MP4/4 was also at Honda's booth at the Tokyo Auto Salon last weekend, and was in promo pictures when the McLaren-Honda deal was announced. It's an iconic car from an era when Japan loooooooved F1 the most, of course it'll be used.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Increased Japanese involvement is pointless and boring and only matters to the shitbox Mclaren unless there is also a rising amount of brilliant Japanese drivers to amuse the 99% of the crowd who would rather that mclaren would stop disgracing this sport already.

Perhaps the return of Super Aguri

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

freeranger posted:

You are all wrong... Super Aguri had the best car/colors of all time! There is no debating this! It has the best green!

Oh my god this is hilarious. "Aguri", in Greek, means "cucumber". Yes, F1 fans in Greece did laugh a bit when the team was first announced.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

did they get rid of the "special talent" or whatever loophole in the superlicense regulations? bc raikkonen wasn't eligible when he entered F1, sauber just managed to convince the FIA to give him one

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/188829.html

honda to the FIA: "if you're going to hold us to the 2014 rules then we should get a fifth engine, as was allowed in 2014"

genius

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Barely back, they already know how to play the rules game. Perfect.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Meanwhile, in Nascar

quote:

Testifying about a request for a protective order against him, race car driver Kurt Busch told a Dover, Del., court this week that his former girlfriend is an assassin.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Increased Japanese involvement is pointless and boring and only matters to the shitbox Mclaren unless there is also a rising amount of brilliant Japanese drivers to amuse the 99% of the crowd who would rather that mclaren would stop disgracing this sport already.

Perhaps the return of Super Aguri

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

harperdc posted:

helps that that's possibly the most aesthetically pleasing car design in Formula 1 history, certainly for the last 25 years or so.

this is my pick btw

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

be nice wicka posted:

the RA107 owned bones too and idk how people hated it

I think it was someone in the worst thread that coined that livery 'turtle ejaculate'.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

the early 90s cars were boss

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

this is my pick btw

I like that from the top it looks like a vase. Once again, there are no bad looking '89 cars.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Alain Post posted:

this is my pick btw

I miss the days when the tyres still had the labels on them while leaving the pits.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I too miss the days when rear wings doubled as beds.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It would be cool if Bellof wasn't dead.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sashimi posted:

I too miss the days when rear wings doubled as beds.

Give 'em a break, it was the post ground effect era and that was the best solution. It must have been neat when you hosed up designing the chassis back in the day and the solution was to add bigger/more wings.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
You loving idiot.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lmao at the eternal shame of having the word "Blackberry" tattooed to your body.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Why the hell would you get the sponsors tattooed on as well lmao

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Wirth1000 posted:

Why the hell would you get the sponsors tattooed on as well lmao

authenticity m8. how will your lewis tat come to life without the sponsors?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

coaxmetal posted:

authenticity m8. how will your lewis tat come to life without the sponsors?

Well he's missing the gigantic blackberry banner below Petronas. So much for authenticity.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I dont get why the FIA thinks its a good idea to take a hard line with Honda on the engine rules. Doesn't look good to other manufacturers thinking of joining.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I would be surprised if any other manufacturers join up under the current regulations considering the noises being made about changing them as early as 2017.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Wirth1000 posted:

Well he's missing the gigantic blackberry banner below Petronas. So much for authenticity.

I'm getting that part done in the next session

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

AgentJotun posted:

I dont get why the FIA thinks its a good idea to take a hard line with Honda on the engine rules. Doesn't look good to other manufacturers thinking of joining.

Because the FIA are loving idiots.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Because the FIA are loving idiots.
loving Idiot Authority.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Payndz posted:

loving Idiot Authority.
2015 thread title here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Fédération Imbécile de l'Automobile, surely.

• Locked thread