Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I don't use the Youtube app, but the website has been horrible for me in Safari since the last iOS update or two. About half the time when I watch a video, the 'done' button doesn't work to return me to the web page and I have to actually close the app from the application switcher (double tap home, swipe the tile up) to be able to do anything other than watch the video I opened.

It even persists if I switch apps and switch back or go to the home screen and open safari again or whatever unless I actually quit Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yep, it's almost like Youtube is garbage trash made by a lovely company or something.

I get the same "Done" button not working except if I'm fortunate enough, it will just crash all of Safari for me which is very convenient.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Do any of the other youtube apps let you minimize the viewer so you can browse while the video continues playing?

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
Does anyone know of an app that would allow me to easily create and manage music playlists on my iPhone / iPad? Just need to able to preview, add and delete from the one view as opposed to the cumbersome way it's done in the stock music app.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Snowy posted:

Do any of the other youtube apps let you minimize the viewer so you can browse while the video continues playing?

MxTube and its replacement TubeX does.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

xzzy posted:

Has the youtube official app performance gone to poo poo lately for anyone, or is it just my 5 starting to show its age?

Most notably rotating from portrait to landscape takes forever and it sometimes freaks out and spews gui elements all over the video after rotating.

Same problem here on my 5, so I'm not sure if it's limited to the 5's performance capabilities or not. Shouldn't be, considering how fast it used to be, and all we're doing is rotating the drat thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Incidentally, I had a ton of problems with YouTube and they went away once I turned off IPv6 support on my router. This was on U-Verse.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Is there an app that will let me transfer long audio files to my iPhone and play them back? Longer than what iTunes match will play.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

slogsdon posted:

Is there an app that will let me transfer long audio files to my iPhone and play them back? Longer than what iTunes match will play.

Like, 2 hour EDM mixes?

Transfer using Goodreader or VLC or google drive or Dropbox or plug your iPhone in.

So yeah, there are a few apps for this.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

tuyop posted:

Like, 2 hour EDM mixes?

Transfer using Goodreader or VLC or google drive or Dropbox or plug your iPhone in.

So yeah, there are a few apps for this.

Three hours, but not EDM. Didn't think about VLC, I'll give that a shot.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Chome Remote Desktop is now on iOS. I use it on my Nexus 7 from time to time, and it works great.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Chome Remote Desktop is now on iOS. I use it on my Nexus 7 from time to time, and it works great.

oh HELL yes.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Kheldarn posted:

Seriously this app is amazing. I'm pretty sure I can cancel my Splashtop subscription now this app works so well.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

The couple of posts before this say it, but I'll echo how good this app is. It works perfectly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Seriously this app is amazing. I'm pretty sure I can cancel my Splashtop subscription now this app works so well.

Seriously it works as well as Splashtop? And it's free?

Talk about a giant gently caress you to basically all remote desktop solutions out there.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Oh man, google just shat all over every single premium vnc business.

I'll try to put this thing through its paces tonight. I don't buy that it's as good as splashtop just yet. Splashtop isn't great because of the fidelity, it's the control schemes they offer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Disappointing Pie posted:

It's a very slick app that connects seamlessly and then just displays a black screen on my iPhone. (Presumably because my iMac is Retina running super high Rez.)

(But I know it's connected because I can move the mouse on my iMac.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

How is it different from/better than MS RDP client for connecting to Windows?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Well slick is right but it lacks. If you're down with Splashtop's controls, you won't find that here and you'll want to stick with that. The lack of a right click in touch mode precludes it from all two of the mouse-driven pc games I play with it.

It's really good, otherwise. And free.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wow this app is cool as hell but I have no idea how I'm going to use it.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Can any screens user tell me if its worth switching over?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Well slick is right but it lacks. If you're down with Splashtop's controls, you won't find that here and you'll want to stick with that. The lack of a right click in touch mode precludes it from all two of the mouse-driven pc games I play with it.

It's really good, otherwise. And free.

Does it require an Internet connection on both devices for handshake like Splashtop?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Does it have anything over TeamViewer? TeamViewer is the poo poo.

xzzy posted:

Seriously it works as well as Splashtop? And it's free?

Talk about a giant gently caress you to basically all remote desktop solutions out there.

Nope, TeamViewer's free version is excellent, better than VNC, and you don't need to know the IP of devices on your account. Seems that Google's installation is a little simpler though, and most people already have Chrome.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 14, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I want to connect to synIRC and idle there, without disconnecting or changing from active to idle continously as I multitask or lock my phone. Any app that lets me do this?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fat Samurai posted:

I want to connect to synIRC and idle there, without disconnecting or changing from active to idle continously as I multitask or lock my phone. Any app that lets me do this?

Setup a ZNC bouncer on your computer at home and use your phone to connect to it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Colloquy has background support but I think it's limited by the OS and will drop you eventually. I haven't used it in years.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Setup a ZNC bouncer on your computer at home and use your phone to connect to it?

This is exactly what I do. ZNC even has a Colloquy module that will (sometimes) push notifications to you when people say your name in chat,

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Neurophonic posted:

Does it require an Internet connection on both devices for handshake like Splashtop?

Yes, it does. There's no obvious way (and I only skimmed through their help section so I didn't see any way) to connect directly to an ip or 'advertised' machine over a local network.

Michael Scott posted:

Does it have anything over TeamViewer? TeamViewer is the poo poo.

Nope, TeamViewer's free version is excellent, better than VNC, and you don't need to know the IP of devices on your account. Seems that Google's installation is a little simpler though, and most people already have Chrome.

Teamviewer is exactly like CRD just crappy in its own ways. They're both free though so play with both to your liking. Also, a direct IP connection is a plus, not a negative.

Splashtop and premium VNC are still worth the money, imo. The fidelity and especially the control options for a touch screen blow everything else out of the water.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Jedi425 posted:

This is exactly what I do. ZNC even has a Colloquy module that will (sometimes) push notifications to you when people say your name in chat,

Colloquy still disconnects you after 3 minutes of background idle. There is no solution for this (for any client), AFAIK.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I like using a VPN in combination with Splashtop to make it think I'm on a local network, even when I'm not.

Also, Nintype keyboard just got an update that squashed a lot of bugs and made it even faster and better. Also, if you're jailbroken there's a cool tweak called NinKeyboardMoreMem that is able to allocate more memory to third-party keyboards which basically solves almost every issue with their unreliability in iOS 8.1.2.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

IRCCloud lets you idle on iOS but it is a monthly subscription (has a 30 day trial too). I use it and it works very, very well. Push notifications to all devices.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

An Enormous Boner posted:

Colloquy still disconnects you after 3 minutes of background idle. There is no solution for this (for any client), AFAIK.

If you are using the ZNC bouncer the ZNC instance always stays connected to the IRC server even after Colloquy disconnects from ZNC. You also continue to get push notifications when Colloquy is disconnected. Obviously, this requires running ZNC on some computer that is always on.

edit: basically when using a ZNC bouncer, ZNC sits between your IRC client (in this case Colloquy) and the IRC server(s) you want to always be connected to.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

astr0man posted:

You also continue to get push notifications when Colloquy is disconnected. Obviously, this requires running ZNC on some computer that is always on.

Is this a ZNC plugin? If this is the case then I could swap from Trillian when I'm multitasking.

Sometimes when I reconnect to ZNC from a background dropped session I don't get my bitlbee /msg channels back, though... not sure what that's about.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah its a ZNC plugin: http://wiki.znc.in/Colloquy

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Question re: Chrome Remote:

Anyone else getting a black screen on their phone when accessing their Mac? I can see the mouse moving on the Mac so it's definitely "Connected" but all I see is a black screen. I assumed it was my iMac Retina's insane resolution but I'm seeing some other complaints online as well... (but no concrete reasons...)

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I have a tiny vps that I pay $12 a year for that only runs ZNC. I use Palaver and then ZNCpush for notifications on my phone. Takes about 30 minutes to get it all setup but its solid after that.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

There's a new scanning app from Evernote out.

I don't know what it's like though as the App Store won't let me download anything at the moment.

It's really good, definitely worth downloading if you always save your scans to Evernote anyway.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone use a good Facebook alternative aside from Paper? I don't like how I can't get rid of the "hey! download messenger! hey! did you download it yet?" part of Facebook.
I use Friendly, it's far from perfect but it fixes 2 things that were really bugging me about the official app:

- Maintains messaging without having to download a separate app
- Remembers 'Most Recent' post setting so I don't have to change it every time I open the app

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Spikey Willow posted:

I use Friendly, it's far from perfect but it fixes 2 things that were really bugging me about the official app:

- Maintains messaging without having to download a separate app
- Remembers 'Most Recent' post setting so I don't have to change it every time I open the app

If you're cool with jailbreaking, there are two tweaks that add these back to the official app.

e: In case you guys were wondering what Tapbots is up to, they are building version 2.0 of Calcbot. It's cool, I guess, but I'm not using it for anything practical yet.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The attached photo is a screenshot of Apple's weather app. What does the weather symbol for Friday mean? If it just means that it's freezing, then I already know that on account of the temperatures being in the negative. Why not show the sunny symbol or the snow symbol, or any other symbol? If that symbol just means that it's below zero degrees, then displaying any other symbol would be more informative, as I already can get that data from the numerical values.