Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Our lorikeet Bounty used to sleep hanging upside down like a bat.

Taco just climbs into his hut, grabs his tail and tries to fold himself in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

Arriviste posted:

(Chilly is secretly a bat)

She is the night.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Judah is so pedestrian. At 10pm he'll hop up onto his rope perch because it is clearly bedtime, and he doesn't sleep anywhere else.

Bird.

Be more exciting.

No I did not mean shriek at four in the morning.

Oh no what have I done

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

crossposting from the pet helldump thread because look at that face

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 12, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My cockatiels spend the first 10 minutes after lights out fighting over where to sleep before going to the same perches they've been sleeping on for the past 3 years

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Rufous waits for the lights to go out and then sits in the dark crunching her pellets. If you wake her up at three am on accident she will get herself a midnight snack. She also sleeps on the bottom of her cage like an invalid.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hannah's new thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WG25IfDi7w

Yanks out the dish (which is in there pretty tight) and goes berserk.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Mindo has decided to be aggressive towards me in the mornings. He's been "grumpy" about me for a while now, perhaps because I had to toss a shirt over him 6 months ago to get him back into the cage when he was playing hard to get. Normally this grumpiness is abated by just waiting 10 minutes after I let him out in the morning and then feeding him some pellets. In the evenings he's super chill and will hang out on me or in my shirt.

Yesterday he growled at me from across the room, so I walked away from him per usual, but this time he followed me. Staryberry handed me coffee still away from him, and he flew/lunged a few feet and chomped onto my hand. I literally had to shake him off a bit. Now this morning he was doing the same sort of things, flying straight at me, came up to me and postured, etc. He was willing to be fed a pellet but went right back to aggression. When I went to refill his pellets in his cage he postured up, growled, and flew at me. I literally just tossed the pellets and ducked to avoid him.

Seems he has morning cage aggression. Sadly we can't just feed him coffee.

Birds.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

crossposting from the pet helldump thread because look at that face

He looks pretty pleased about it too

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Casey the Cockatoo, my girlfriend's mother's bird, has a hole under her crown that we discovered today. It feels hard or calloused through it; my girlfriend is afraid it might be a hole right to her skull, or that she has a fungus. But before shoving this frightened little thing into a box to get her to the vet I wanted to get some opinions on it from birbcrew.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'd go to the vet, it's worth the scary experience just to be sure. The skin also looks pretty dry there, could be something related?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Eikre posted:

Casey the Cockatoo, my girlfriend's mother's bird, has a hole under her crown that we discovered today. It feels hard or calloused through it; my girlfriend is afraid it might be a hole right to her skull, or that she has a fungus. But before shoving this frightened little thing into a box to get her to the vet I wanted to get some opinions on it from birbcrew.

Definitely go to vet. It's probably harmless, but certainly should be checked out.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'd go to the vet, it's worth the scary experience just to be sure. The skin also looks pretty dry there, could be something related?

Looks like follicle fragments, actually. Skin doesn't seem really all that abnormal for a cockatoo there. Aside from that thing.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is it a thing where if you trim both wings the bird will still be able to fly? I have only trimmed one normally and I've never really had the birds fly away from me, but I was told it would make it harder to fly straight for them, because the forces are uneven on each wing, meaning they can't get very far. This morning I locked up the cats in the bathroom and ate breakfast with the Quaker, and something must have spooked him, because he flew off my shoulder and did a complete lap of the room before falling very ungracefully into an empty cardboard box. Both of his wings are clipped, the breeder did that, not me.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Smaller lighter birds can stay airborne for a bit with clipped wings through sheer effort, yeah. It isn't easy though, so usually they won't try.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Clipping both wings is a safety issue. If you only clip one wing they will be unable to maintain a safe controlled flight in the event they take a leap from the back of the couch. You can clip lightly or more severely based on how limited you want their flight to be but you should absolutely clip both sides evenly to keep them from hurting themselves.

If the bird is already clipped and you think it's too severe and he might hurt himself when he gets spooked like that you have no real choice but to just wait for him to naturally regrow his wings and clip them less next time.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I was actually really impressed with his flight. I didn't expect him to have the ability so far, he maintained a steady height from the ground and went probably 20m total distance. I mean hes a baby, and as far as i know, that's his first flight. I don't really want him to be able to fly, if I didn't have cats and was confident in my ability to do the target training I've seen a lot of parrots do, it would be OK, but because I can't, I'd prefer he not be able to do much other than fall without hurting himself, maybe be able to fly a few meters. I know it's their natural behaviour, but hes not a bird that's able to be out of his cage in the house often enough to be able to know what he can and can't land on etc without hurting himself. Normally I can only play with him in a closed room. I'll trim his wings a little more.

E: I'll start trimming both evenly as well.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 13, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The ringnecks are back!

Last time I told my mom to catch them all and give them to me (jokingly) so she showed me how she tries. She stands in the yard with her finger out whistling :negative:

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010
Paranoid new bird owner again. I've noticed Raz doesn't seem to have any feathers on his "chin" (directly after the beak on the underside of his head) or throat. It's not visible unless you're really up in his face, covered by the other feathers. I haven't observed him plucking at all and there's no loose feathers that I can see, so I would imagine this is normal cockatiel anatomy? Can someone confirm? I'm not sure if he's had this the whole time I've had him or not, but the vet didn't comment on it when I took him in.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It's normal. Some of them (lutinos especially) also have little bald spots on their heads behind their crests.

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's normal. Some of them (lutinos especially) also have little bald spots on their heads behind their crests.

Okay, phew. Glad to hear it. Thanks!

He had his first night fright last night, too. Got to him before he hurt himself, but that was scary. Let him come chill on my shoulder for a while before putting him back to bed.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yah night frights are always scary incidents for me. I'm normally up late at night anyhow so it's mostly me just walking across the house to where the bird sleeps and uncovering him and letting him calm down a bit. It does make for a good excuse for late night birb cuddling though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You can really help prevent night frights by not perfectly covering the cage and having some light able to get in. Remember that birbs normally sleep with moonlight and starlight, to say nothing of urban birds coping with artificial light sources.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

We've been lucky and never had a night fright with either bird, knock wood. The one time ritz flipped out in the night is because of an earthquake, he usually sleeps through them though haha.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Incidentally, should I be worried that my budgies aren't very physically active? Most of what they do is chewing on toys and sitting in one place and singing/chattering.

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010

Eejit posted:

You can really help prevent night frights by not perfectly covering the cage and having some light able to get in. Remember that birbs normally sleep with moonlight and starlight, to say nothing of urban birds coping with artificial light sources.

There's actually no way for me to perfectly black out his cage. The blanket I use is a thin polarfleece one that doesn't entirely cover his cage, and he's right next to the finches and their nightlight, plus he lives in my room and I usually stay up another 4-5 hours after he goes to bed (quietly). That's part of why I'm kind of wondering how it happened. Because birds, I guess.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
We lost Lolita our sweet eclectus parrot tonight at 1 am. It was sudden and we were with her.

I mean I don't know what else to say. Luke our male is all confused that he can't find her.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh no. :( My deepest condolences. I'm sure you did your best for her and gave her a wonderful life.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm so sorry, Jack. :(

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

That's just heartbreaking dude. Very sorry.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sorry for your loss, Jack. Do you know what happened? If not, I'd suggest getting a necropsy done (as most would agree with) so you can make sure that Luke isn't at any risk.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sorry for your loss, that sucks

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I'm very sorry for your loss, it was good that you could be with her.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I'm so sorry to hear that, that's terrible news :(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I feel really bad for poor Luke too. :(

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Preliminary results from the necropsy indicate a liver issue of some sort, won't know more until Friday.

I'm just so glad I got up there when I did so I could at least be with her. She was so nice to everyone too. :ohdear: :(

Luke is getting tons of attention but it really breaks me up when he flys over to her cage and starts looking for her.

It just loving sucks when you're expecting 30 more years and you get 30 seconds instead.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That's really bad to hear. How old was she?

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
10, just about 11. I knew her for almost 7 years.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I saw this uplifting bird story today:

quote:

I got this bird 7 years ago untamed, today was the first day he ever cuddled with me. Huge accomplishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I love their next comment:

quote:

Mines a pain in the rear end 99% of the time, I actually got bit in the face 5 minutes after this was taken and he had to go to bad bird jail again