Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ethiser posted:

Well the Build Burning has to get another upgrade somehow. I refuse to believe that they will let the main suit not have some sort of crazy backpack.

During the final battle, Sekai's burning spirit causes the plavsky particles to spontaneously generate a small version of himself that rides piggyback on the Try Burning Gundam, thereby revealing to all the true meaning of "become one with your Gunpla."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ethiser posted:

Well the Build Burning has to get another upgrade somehow. I refuse to believe that they will let the main suit not have some sort of crazy backpack.

Soon...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Maybe its just because I find myself so refreshed by G reco's "keep up or gently caress off" approach to exposition that its soured me on anime writing in general, but holy poo poo the show needs to drop the habit of repeatedly stating the same goddamn thing multiple times within a few minutes of each other.

That said I hope we have more scenes of Sugita being Sugita in the coming episodes, and kid nemesis better live up to his role.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Maybe its just because I find myself so refreshed by G reco's "keep up or gently caress off" approach to exposition that its soured me on anime writing in general, but holy poo poo the show needs to drop the habit of repeatedly stating the same goddamn thing multiple times within a few minutes of each other.

That said I hope we have more scenes of Sugita being Sugita in the coming episodes, and kid nemesis better live up to his role.

The pacing in the first half was really bad, and kind of looks worse in retrospect. A lot of time is spent on which which doesn't matter or repeating the same basic plot treads over and over. Characters don't even get really well-defined personalities until like the last 2 episodes. You really could have trimmed the entire first 13 episodes down to 4-5 episodes at most and not really lost much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The first four episodes were ok/good, it's the tournament arc that was the show spinning its wheels because apparently they wanted to save everyone's big character development for the midway point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

The first four episodes were ok/good, it's the tournament arc that was the show spinning its wheels because apparently they wanted to save everyone's big character development for the midway point.

I think you need them to actually have some kind of character in order to be able to develop them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The best part of this episode was definitely Gyanko trying to have a conversation over the bushes. I don't care about more boring rivals, gimmie more funny stuff like that!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

The high point of the tournament arc was the Build Burning vs. Destiny fight. The low point was Team Song Dynasty Vase getting Worfed by team G-Master.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

The high point of the tournament arc was the Build Burning vs. Destiny fight. The low point was Team Song Dynasty Vase getting Worfed by team G-Master.

The Destiny fight was awesome but in retrospect it seems kind of a waste. Shimon is basically filling the same niche as Gyanko but with 1/4th the personality. Sekai really didn't need a second training buddy. Maybe he'll shine a bit more later on but so far it feels like at bare minimum he should have had an episode with Yuuma or Fumina instead of Sekai.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Shimon is basically filling the same niche as Gyanko but with 1/4th the personality. Sekai really didn't need a second training buddy.

I view Gyanko more as a potential love interest for Sekai to be clueless about than a training buddy. But that's just my take on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I view Gyanko more as a potential love interest for Sekai to be clueless about than a training buddy. But that's just my take on it.

He has like three of those - Fumina, Gyanko, and Shia.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I hope the writing keeps up, because then Try will end up as reverse Destiny.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Excuse me. The low point was Team Free! never getting to show us their burning spirit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The pacing in the first half was really bad, and kind of looks worse in retrospect. A lot of time is spent on which which doesn't matter or repeating the same basic plot treads over and over. Characters don't even get really well-defined personalities until like the last 2 episodes. You really could have trimmed the entire first 13 episodes down to 4-5 episodes at most and not really lost much.

Yeah G-Reco's pretty rough...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

nuru posted:

Excuse me. The low point was Team Free! never getting to show us their burning spirit.

Sure they did! Didn't you see that massive fireball they generated in Antarctica?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah G-Reco's pretty rough...

G-Reco has kind of the opposite problem though? If anything it needed to spend more time and slow down a bit. It spends the early episodes putting pieces into place and introducing characters and concepts who will be important later but doesn't really dwell on anything for very long even if it probably should. Their pacing problems are almost directly the opposite of one another.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 15, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

G-Reco has kind of the opposite problem though? If anything it needed to spend more time and slow down a bit. It spends the early episodes putting pieces into place and introducing characters and concepts who will be important later but doesn't really dwell on anything for very long even if it probably should.

It was a joke, man.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I dunno, both shows took a while to really stabilize. G-Reco definitely did it faster though; I would say it calmed down around episode 9, while Try here took till 12. 14 if you don't count the Meijin Episodes, which are good because of course they're good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You guys are such haters, the new OP is loving sweet!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It was a joke, man.

It came across as trying to go "No, see, G-Reco has the same problems" when it really doesn't. G-Reco certainly had a rough start but not really for the same reasons BFT did. v:shobon:v (and it still has plenty of problems, but even then they're not the same problems BFT has.)

It's really interesting to compare them because they really are at opposite tends of the spectrum despite both being Gundam shows. If, admittedly, BFT isn't really trying to be a Gundam show (or even particularly a Gundam Fanservice show in the way that BF was.) It's interesting to see where their strengths and weaknesses lie, since it's basically the first time we've had two Gundam shows airing at the same time, especially since one is Tomino going Full Tomino and the other is... well, a Gunpla commercial with a plot.

Basically what I'm saying is that there should be a new show starring Klim Nick and Gyanko.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 15, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The new episode was great, I love how much fan service is happening in the show. I love how they are really building up all the big teams in the nationals. Season 3 lets go world championship, all nations build a space ring to start hosting g gundam! I think they went so over the top with everyones new gundam because they know they will sell.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 15, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The new episode was great, I love how much fan service is happening in the show. I love how they are really building up all the big teams in the nationals. Season 3 lets go world championship, all nations build a space ring to start hosting g gundam! I think they went so over the top with everyones new gundam because they know they will sell.

I donno. So far the only real 'over the top' Gundam is Winning and that is because it seems to have an absolutely absurd gimmick I can't wait to see in model form. Build Burning Try is probably going to do ridiculous things but considering the original Build Burning destroyed the moon it's gonna be hard to top that, and Lightning FB seems kinda like a traditional Gundam upgrade. I hope it has a gimmick of some kind because otherwise Winning and Burning make it look kinda boring as crap.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dudes on /m/ have spotted that Junya's gunpla is identical to a gunpla shown being built by the 2nd Meijin in the GBF manga so either Junya was inspired by his philosophy and decided to imitate his gunpla to or more likely he grabbed it to use for himself after the 2nd Meijin got hospitalised.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I actually bought the latest volume of Gundam ACE to get the RG WZC option parts for a friend, so I checked.

There are a lot of similarities, but enough differences that they're definitely different models. It's possible Sei and Junya might have both been inspired by it, though.

Still hoping Sei built a Good BB and an Evil BB and hid away both though.

EDIT: Actually, never mind, the differences (more dramatic sunken collar, different cheek vent shape, different cockpit) can probably just be chalked up to art style differences. I wanna say that Sei was the first to really work with transparent parts, though, and the 2nd Meijin's kit does conspicuously lack any clear parts as far as I can tell. Maybe after he was hospitalized, Sei finished his kit?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 15, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that there should be a new show starring Klim Nick and Gyanko.

I don't think we'll ever deserve such a wonderful event. Well... until they meet in Super Robot Wars. :getin:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
New kits are:
Shia's unit, Gundam Portent

Portriat Flier

SxDxG Gundam

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

...What happened to the GN Drives?

Anyways if it's based on 00 it'll be an amazing kit, so I'll probably get it.

EDIT: Oh, cool.

Shia actually keeps the twin drives tucked away!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

...What happened to the GN Drives?

Anyways if it's based on 00 it'll be an amazing kit, so I'll probably get it.

EDIT: Oh, cool.

Shia actually keeps the twin drives tucked away!

I like the basic design, but the back's a little too cluttered for my taste.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I can't say I'm a fan of the sculpting on SxDxG's face. Looks like a round ball with a big sticker on it.

The Portent looks cool and then the core fighter just kind of happens. That tail binder's shape just looks phoned in.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not a big fan of the head of the Portent, but the rest is cool. The SDs look dumb.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Portent looks nice.

Wonder how the dragon is gonna work with the 3 SDs.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

That Core Fighter seems kind of awkward.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

As the one person who likes AGE, I'm pretty excited that it looks like Sid will be appearing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TFRazorsaw posted:

As the one person who likes AGE, I'm pretty excited that it looks like Sid will be appearing.

As the one person who thought the design of the Sid wasn't all that bad for a final boss mobile armor I'm pretty okay with the Sid appearing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Omnicrom posted:

As the one person who thought the design of the Sid wasn't all that bad for a final boss mobile armor I'm pretty okay with the Sid appearing.
AGE is bad but SID and Final Boss SID looked pretty cool so I'm fine with that.

Sia's looks pretty okay, but where is the transient gundam :argh:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I want the gunslinger devil hand thing Gundam too.

Portent is cool, it seems yo have the fold-up feet like transient, which I think is another 00 design cue. Hides the ankle polycap joint, unlike many of the kits from the show though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Portent appears to be based on the Sakibure, of all things.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Parts of it are; good catch. If this leads to an HG Sakibure, it will be proof that Bandai's ketamine binge (the one that brought us the PG Unicorn) is showing no signs of abating.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Girl's got class, no doubt about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I really really like the Portent.

• Locked thread