Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Has anyone ever laughed at a political cartoon, like, ever? Kelly doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm gonna need context.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/395667/we-have-brand-john-fund

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ladyboy pancake posted:

:siren: Carlos Latuff is anti-semitic garbage who uses Muslim oppression to justify his bigotry :siren:

How long is it going to take people to realize that Latuff is the living embodiment of LF?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Not sure if it's brought up before (and I know, I know; "don't touch the poop"), but the Indiegogo Terms of Use prohibit

quote:

any items promoting hate, discrimination, personal injury, death, damage, or destruction to property; or any items (a) prohibited by applicable law to possess or distribute, (b) that would violate applicable law if distributed, or (c) that would result in infringement or violation of another person's rights if distributed.

Wouldn't it just be magical if all of Dry Bones's funding got taken away at the last second? A man can dream. :allears:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hahahaha I forgot all about MittFitts

I'm gonna need context.

MLK's kids/heirs have kind of built up an infamy for trying to cash in on his legacy as much as possible.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Though I give him the benefit of the doubt, since he's clearly trying to make a comparison of 'sacred cows' in the Western media, this comes across as pretty loving disingenuous. Trivializing a genocide versus breaking a dictate of a religion you aren't part of are not comparable and there's a good reason why this is an AGC. I think he's trying to get at a comparison of what is considered acceptable/deplorable the depiction between Muslims and Jews as groups (and the fact that it's considered acceptable to draw stink-lined guys in turbans) but this cartoon's labels say otherwise.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

How does this guy make so terrible cartoons? "The wording of this newspaper is oddly specific and kind of bad. It somehow fits exactly to my very specific life conditions." Also that's aparently what this guy wears in everyday life.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All I got from the flag is that he doesn't actually have a war on anything anymore.

Awesome!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ladyboy pancake posted:

:siren: Carlos Latuff is anti-semitic garbage who uses Muslim oppression to justify his bigotry :siren:

nah

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ladyboy pancake posted:

Go shoot him about it why dont you. :rolleyes:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Don't slander Monty Python with your bullshit Mccoy.

I always forget that Bok is based in Akron which makes it really loving weird when he suddenly does a cartoon on local issues that I totally agree with.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Normally the cartoonist will write "Apologies to..." whomever they ripped off with their hack garbage.

Glenn McCoy doesn't even have the decency to do that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scholtz posted:

Not sure if it's brought up before (and I know, I know; "don't touch the poop"), but the Indiegogo Terms of Use prohibit

Wouldn't it just be magical if all of Dry Bones's funding got taken away at the last second? A man can dream. :allears:

If multiple peope submit a complaint with helpful links to his blog, it might help.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Neodoomium posted:

Normally the cartoonist will write "Apologies to..." whomever they ripped off with their hack garbage.

Glenn McCoy doesn't even have the decency to do that.

To be fair I doubt most artists anyone would accept an apology from a McCoy.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 15, 2015

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

How long is it going to take people to realize that Latuff is the living embodiment of LF?

And LF was terrible so

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Samurai Sanders posted:

But...it's true, isn't it? France has laws to protect against anti-Jewish talk, but not anti-Muslim. Or did I hear wrong?

French laws protect against anti-Muslim speech, Mohammed caricatures just aren't considered anti-Muslim speech.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Carlos :qq: "why can't I make fun of those hook noses going to the gas chamber" :qq: Latuff

It's a shame because he has done some really great work but then again David Dees is very artistically competent too.

I agree that publishing racist poo poo against Jews shouldn't be punished by law (and it isn't in my country, the US, which I'd think he'd agree is part of The West :shrug: ) but I think Latuff is crying about it just a bit too much. Are there even holocaust denial laws in Brazil?

At the same time, Jews have been a religious minority for almost all of recorded history and suffered various degrees of persecution all the way up to history's most infamous genocide for most of that time. Islam once held hegemony over most of the developed world and today counts about half the planet among its followers. It's kind of disingenuous to equate drawing the prophet with mocking the Holocaust.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Gilganixon posted:

To be fair I doubt most artists anyone would accept an apology from a McCoy.

Any apology that an absolute rear end in a top hat like McCoy managed to squeeze from his hateful lips would also be worded in the classic fashion of bullies everywhere, "I'm sorry that my very truthful words cut you so bad, I didn't know you were so easily offended."

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ladyboy pancake posted:

Fuckin lol

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It helps that Cameron is pretty bulbous and plasticky.

It's very Silent Hill (art direction guidelines for the game indicate, among other things, that the monsters should have a slick, slimy appearance - as if they are being enveloped by a full body condom).

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

Obama could move us forward if the GOP hadn't stolen the people's paddle, forcing us to spin in place. AGC

Yeah, thats kinda the point. Judge is not a "truth is in the middle" kinda guy.

WarpedNaba posted:

Really? A blue hairy monster with a tail can camouflage himself?

How the gently caress else do you think the guy managed to sneak a knife into a white house tour in Post 9/11?

Did 9/11 happen in those movies? Like, do they acknowledge it at all?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Look I asked my comic book nerd friend which one to use and he said nobody would get it if I used a more obscure one but clearly we both underestimated the :spergin: of something awful dot com.

And the reason you didn't think to use the one whose power is the ability to blend into any situation instantly by shifting her appearance on a whim, and has featured prominently in every X-Men movie that I am presently was made happened is because....

Alkydere posted:

Calling the people that are calling out your racism racist means we've reached post-racial America?

I...wait...just... :psyboom: Ow....

Rational. He asaid post- rational. "You think its racist to try and derail a movement to end inequality by whining about white people being inconvenienced? How stupid are you".

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
please look at the date on the Latuffs

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

So this mid-70's National Lampoon article by PJ O'Rourke entitled :nws: Foreigners around the World :nws: popped up on imgur. Kind of interesting to look at in light of Charlie Hebdo's content because it's more obvious (to me anyways) that the over-the-top racist jokes and cartoons are aimed at satirizing racist/xenophobic views in America. But I think that goes back to the idea of having to place satire in the context of the culture that's producing it, which is why Americans are struggling to interpret some of Charlie Hebdo's stuff.

I just wanted to chime in to say that these are really, really bad. I got as far as the third page before realizing I hadn't read anything remotely fresh or entertaining and wasn't likely to. It's all just so tired and offensive for the sake of it, and I swear most of this stuff doesn't even resemble a joke, unless you think "Canadians are boring and polite" is the height of off-color humor. It's virulently racist, I guess, but really it's more like the guy you know who says the most shocking and "un-PC" thing he can think of and then laughs at himself for being so daring while everyone else just furrows their brows. It's kind of hard to hate someone who's just so... pathetic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Latuff has done cartoons comparing the plight of the Palestinians to that of Jews circa 1940s.

He's not complaining that he can't draw Wyatt Man styled hooknoses but rather that Israel tries to conflate all criticism against it as antisemitism. Meanwhile, as evidenced in this very thread, actual racists get off scot-free doing actually racist cartoons against Muslims.

Like, we just discussed that the contest in Iran also had cartoonists like Art Spiegelman as contestants.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

McCoy being stabbed and eaten will only lead to people rejoicing. AGC.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Rorus Raz posted:

Latuff has done cartoons comparing the plight of the Palestinians to that of Jews circa 1940s.

He's not complaining that he can't draw Wyatt Man styled hooknoses but rather that Israel tries to conflate all criticism against it as antisemitism.
I agree with him on both these points but that's not what his '06 cartoon there said. It's clearly a complaint that people think it's inappropriate to mock the Holocaust but acceptable to draw the Prophet.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

I agree with him on both these points but that's not what his '06 cartoon there said. It's clearly a complaint that people think it's inappropriate to mock the Holocaust but acceptable to draw the Prophet.
It says "Cartoons of the Holocaust" and not "cartoons mocking the Holocaust"

It wouldn't even make sense since Latuff has shown he knows the Holocaust happened and was a Bad Thing. I've never seen a Latuff where he mocks the Holocaust just for the sake of mocking it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Many of the cartoons in the competition are about how the holocaust didn't happen though.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rorus Raz posted:

It wouldn't even make sense since Latuff has shown he knows the Holocaust happened and was a Bad Thing. I've never seen a Latuff where he mocks the Holocaust just for the sake of mocking it.

That'd be reasonable if depicting the Holocaust was something anybody ever got upset about. Did anyone (who isn't Ted Rall) ever get upset about Maus (only cartoon about the Holocaust that jumps to mind) or any of the films or books like Night that are so widely acclaimed and also depict the Holocaust?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Edit: This poo poo aint worth it, you fuckers believe what you want.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 15, 2015

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rorus Raz posted:

He's not complaining that he can't draw Wyatt Man styled hooknoses but rather that Israel tries to conflate all criticism against it as antisemitism. Meanwhile, as evidenced in this very thread, actual racists get off scot-free doing actually racist cartoons against Muslims.

Like, we just discussed that the contest in Iran also had cartoonists like Art Spiegelman as contestants.

Thing is, non-governmental organizations like the Simon Wiesenthal Center agree with the statement that Latuff is extremely anti-semitic. And I think a Jewish organization might have a pretty good perspective on whether somebody is an antisemite.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ElMaligno posted:

This is a lovely loving point and has nothing to do with Latuff.

Unless you believe in the correlation and causation effect then yes Latuff is the biggest anti-semite in the history of the world. A Brazillian Super Hitler if you will.

I'm just saying, taking part in something like this is a bad idea, unless you want to make a cartoon that goes against what these fuckers believe, which isn't exactly apparent in Latuff's cartoon (I'm not saying he's a holocaust denialist, just that his cartoon doesn't disprove holocaust denialism).

Which leads me to think that he doesn't really care about it.

Randler posted:

Thing is, non-governmental organizations like the Simon Wiesenthal Center agree with the statement that Latuff is extremely anti-semitic. And I think a Jewish organization might have a pretty good perspective on whether somebody is an antisemite.

Some of those organizations aren't objective in the least and have a clear pro-Israeli bias. The defamation league for example called pro-palestinian rallies in America antisemitic rallies.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 15, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Randler posted:

I would think that a Jewish organization would consider it in their interests to label a critic of Israeli policy towards the Palestinians as an anti-Semite.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Randler posted:

He's aware.
And got 3rd place in the list of the year's greatest anti-semites.

For the express reason:
"Israel slandered by Brazilian Cartoonist."

quote:

During the recent conflict instigated by Hamas against the Jewish state,
the Brazilian cartoonist slandered Israel and her Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu for doing what every world leader would do against the onslaught
of rocket attacks targeting innocent civilians

He was ranked higher than fuckin Jobbik and Golden Dawn for god's sake man.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Some of those organizations aren't objective in the least and have a clear pro-Israeli bias. The defamation league for example called pro-palestinian rallies in America antisemitic rallies.

You can easily be both pro-Palestine and anti-Semitic, and The Anti-Defamation League as I understand it is pretty even-handed on such things. It's the Wiesenthal Center that's a rabid attack dog in the pocket of AIPAC.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC the SWC is pretty heavily zionist.

efb

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Nevermind, this is as cyclical and worthless as Why Do We Like Bennet

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 15, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bloodnose posted:

You can easily be both pro-Palestine and anti-Semitic, and The Anti-Defamation League as I understand it is pretty even-handed on such things. It's the Wiesenthal Center that's a rabid attack dog in the pocket of AIPAC.

True, but I think the fact that the ADL map used Palestinians colors to denote antisemitism was a clear sign of trying to frame the issue. I don't remember if there were any antisemitic incidents during those American protests, but I don't remember any reported here (while people here reported incidents in France) (back during the invasion of Gaza)

Maybe it was from the Wiesenthal Center, I could be wrong, it was a while ago.

It's bad? As I said in a latter post, the cartoon he submitted didn't try to oppose holocaust denialism, which I think would be the moral thing to do in a cartoon contest ran by holocaust denialists.

I like what Latuff does, I just think this wasn't a very intelligent cartoon to submit.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would think that a Jewish organization would consider it in their interests to label a critic of Israeli policy towards the Palestinians as an anti-Semite.

Not all Jewish organizations are pro-Israel though.

• Locked thread