Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I remember them hiding that marine in the back of the squad for subsequent pics until they eventually painted up a Multimelta to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Lungboy posted:

I'm still at a loss to explain why BA got tac squad heavy flamers, and not Salamanders.

Because a tank full of gasolinepromethium is far too expensive and valuable to entrust to the greatest gene-engineered warriors of a future space fascism.

Now quick, keep handing relic plasma technology to those BS3 Guardsmen.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Cataphract posted:

This was back when you rolled your attacks, re rolled the dice your opponent parried, picked out the highest, added your weapon skill, applied any ones your opponent rolled to your score and vice versa. Then you'd compare scores and the difference between the scores was the number of times you hit the opposing model. Repeat for all models in base to base contact... make sure you add the modifier for fighting aditional opponents.

Good times 2nd ed. good times.

poo poo like this makes me happy I waited all these years to finally committ to this game. It's like reading D&D 2nd Ed...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cataphract posted:

This was back when you rolled your attacks, re rolled the dice your opponent parried, picked out the highest, added your weapon skill, applied any ones your opponent rolled to your score and vice versa. Then you'd compare scores and the difference between the scores was the number of times you hit the opposing model. Repeat for all models in base to base contact... make sure you add the modifier for fighting aditional opponents.

Good times 2nd ed. good times.

I played very little 2nd edition as I was an idiot child, but i'm sure I remember modifiers from being attacked from the side and behind too?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

I played very little 2nd edition as I was an idiot child, but i'm sure I remember modifiers from being attacked from the side and behind too?

No.

adamantium|wang posted:

Man, I forgot that Genestealers used to be WS7 S6 I7 A4.

It was really, really difficult in 2nd edition for a model to kill more than 1 model per turn in close combat. You didn't have wound allocation to squads, only models in B2B contact, so your fancy hive tyrant wasn't likely to kill more than 4-6 models per game in close combat. As a kid it took me forever to realize that I should stop bringing tricked-out Chaos combat monsters to the table and just focus on shooting to kill things because that dude would only recoup his cost if he got into combat with an even more expensive enemy commander.

One way I found this out was playing against an Eldar player whose strategy was to give his Swooping Hawk Exarch a vortex grenade, then fly him (using the 2-turn 'fly anywhere' rule) to wherever my commander was and lob it at him, taking out the commander and the whole squad. gently caress 2nd edition.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 15, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Lungboy posted:

I'm still at a loss to explain why BA got tac squad heavy flamers, and not Salamanders.

Take solace in the fact that their special rules make a standard Flamer more dangerous than a Heavy Flamer against anything <T5, about equally as dangerous against T6 (~30% vs. 33%), and better at T7. They also save the point cost of the Heavy version for other things.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 15, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
God I would love Heavy Flamers on tactical marines in normal marine lists. Drop pod with combi flamer, flamer and heavy flamer would be an auto take for 215 pts ObSec unit.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Technically, this is filez but that's by GW's enforcement of their IP which includes: "even if we post it in public or as a free download you still can't share it." :jerkbag:

Pulsa Rokkit:
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1403/64/1403643055579.pdf

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh poo poo didn't realise that monstrosity actually had rules.

Are the Scimitar Jetbikes much bigger than normal bikes/outriders? I was toying with the idea of picking some up to use as normal bikes in my Minotaur army to keep with the "lods-e-mone" fluff.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

ijyt posted:

Are the Scimitar Jetbikes much bigger than normal bikes/outriders? I was toying with the idea of picking some up to use as normal bikes in my Minotaur army to keep with the "lods-e-mone" fluff.

They are significantly bigger but you should still use them because dick bikes are aweseome and Minotaurs are pretty big dicks from what I understand.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

No.

It was really, really difficult in 2nd edition for a model to kill more than 1 model per turn in close combat. You didn't have wound allocation to squads, only models in B2B contact, so your fancy hive tyrant wasn't likely to kill more than 4-6 models per game in close combat. As a kid it took me forever to realize that I should stop bringing tricked-out Chaos combat monsters to the table and just focus on shooting to kill things because that dude would only recoup his cost if he got into combat with an even more expensive enemy commander.

One way I found this out was playing against an Eldar player whose strategy was to give his Swooping Hawk Exarch a vortex grenade, then fly him (using the 2-turn 'fly anywhere' rule) to wherever my commander was and lob it at him, taking out the commander and the whole squad. gently caress 2nd edition.

Then I was either getting cheated or I'm thinking of something completely different.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Big Willy Style posted:

They are significantly bigger but you should still use them because dick bikes are aweseome and Minotaurs are pretty big dicks from what I understand.

This was also the secondary reasoning.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
You did get a bonus for multiple combatants. For each opponent a model faces after the first in the one CC phase the enemy would get to roll an extra die and add 1 to their final score. Of course with how long even a single combat would take, you wouldn't see this past 2 or 3 guys too often.

Fun fact: the Gauntlets of Ultramar let you ignore this. Calgar could wade in to a squad of Genestealers by his lonesome and slaughter them all in one turn.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

adamantium|wang posted:

You did get a bonus for multiple combatants. For each opponent a model faces after the first in the one CC phase the enemy would get to roll an extra die and add 1 to their final score. Of course with how long even a single combat would take, you wouldn't see this past 2 or 3 guys too often.

Fun fact: the Gauntlets of Ultramar let you ignore this. Calgar could wade in to a squad of Genestealers by his lonesome and slaughter them all in one turn.

only if he was in base-to-base contact with all of them. You had to fight each model you touched one-at-a-time, and each subsequent one would get the bonus.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Then I was either getting cheated or I'm thinking of something completely different.

That was definitely the rule for WFB at the time. I was also an idiot child at the time and would buy every box set game GW put out so had inadequate armies for both WFB and 40k

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ijyt posted:

:sigh:

*dutifully goes to youtube and watches Harry Enfield's loadsamoney*

I'm seriously considering breaking my space marines out of storage and painting for shits and giggles. I'm at a loss for what chapter to paint though. I know I don't want to do any more Templars because I'm tired of stark black. I'm think of going with the Dark Hands scheme with minor colour changes, but I was just looking at alternatives and noted that the Storm Giants were founded 738.M41, yet their first notable battle was the Second Purging of Lastrati 543.M36. Fricking warp shenanigans. :argh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have a lore question

There are different chapters and affiliations for space marines and guardsmen and orks and whatever

Are there different "chapters" for techpriests and enginseers and whatever? Like, how many different cults of mars or whatever are there?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ijyt posted:

I'm not sure what monstrosity you're talking about.

(fits on a 40mm base)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Babe Magnet posted:

I have a lore question

There are different chapters and affiliations for space marines and guardsmen and orks and whatever

Are there different "chapters" for techpriests and enginseers and whatever? Like, how many different cults of mars or whatever are there?

There's all sorts of competing houses and factions on Mars. The first and most significant is obviously the Dark Mechanicus but there are many others. There is an impressively detailed list here: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus

Non-Imperial note:

Slightly more than half-way through my painting workload with a little more than a month to go. :unsmith:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Repent, Heretic! Or face death by autocannon

Other colours than grey and metal! who knew i could do that....

so this is where i'm at with my guard transports by now. 4 of them are 90% finished (missing touch ups and decals) And i've got a remaining one still in my old paint scheme. i'm ever so happy that i never figured out basecoating back when i originally did most of these tanks...

EDIT: looking at the pictures, i shamefully drilled the barrels on all the tanks :v

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 15, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PierreTheMime posted:

There's all sorts of competing houses and factions on Mars. The first and most significant is obviously the Dark Mechanicus but there are many others. There is an impressively detailed list here: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus

On top of that there's also loyalty to particular forge worlds

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Let's hope that eventually they get the Chaos Spawn treatment and go from garbage to one of the best units. And get a plastic kit. :v:

Yeah this is exactly why I was asking. I gave the question to the GT judge to ponder but Instinctive Fire is written really poorly. RAW it just shoots one close unit five times, but it's written to suggest otherwise.

Yep, its White Dwarf issue 41, page 16 in a sidebar labeled "Instinctive Fire" Each of the guns of the model automatically fires at the nearest enemy model as measured from the muzzle of the gun. Measure, find out what is closest, take a shot resolve it, repeat for the other unfired guns. It spews rounds at the closest enemy and it seems it can be one target or many depending on the distance.

This is an unusual MC technique.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

TheChirurgeon posted:

And yet, this was a thing.

And wait a second, it was PISS EASY for a character to kill more than one thing, as long as he was winning the combat each time. Each model fought separately, and the loser took hits equal to the score loss, with each additional combatant after the first adding +1WS +1A. So as long as your guy was higher WS than the accrued total, and you had enough Attacks/Parries to ensure you got a 6 and they didn't, you could murder things with total impunity. This was why Genestealers were so drat frightening then with their WS9/A4, one could quite easily chew up a Tactical Squad then die to the final few guys.

E: BRB, going to check the Rulebook & Wargear to check I haven't gone mad.

EE: So, you only fought the models in base to base, but you still got your 2" Consolidate, which meant you got to stay in combat, but I can't find/remember if 2nd forced the rest of the enemy unit to 'pile in' as was definitely the norm from 3rd onwards - It always did happen in our games, so either we were playing wrong, or it's in there, somewhere. Hey, I was only 15, damnit.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 15, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Which angry tractor is the preferred farm equipment in the grim dark battlefields of the Mechanicum?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
The Venator is significantly better than the basic version of the Krios. Venator throws out S9 Ordnance shots (which don't affect its ability to fire the bolt-on weapons) and cuts apart tanks and Monstrous Creatures with impunity. The Lightning Cannon, while cool, is really just another MEQ-killing gun (and one strictly inferior to the Battle Cannon, I might add) in an army that gets that sort of thing in abundance. Unless for some reason you're not running Castellax, Thanatars, or any of their other shooting platforms, there's no real reason to go for the Lightning Cannon.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shockeh posted:

And yet, this was a thing.

And wait a second, it was PISS EASY for a character to kill more than one thing, as long as he was winning the combat each time. Each model fought separately, and the loser took hits equal to the score loss, with each additional combatant after the first adding +1WS +1A. So as long as your guy was higher WS than the accrued total, and you had enough Attacks/Parries to ensure you got a 6 and they didn't, you could murder things with total impunity. This was why Genestealers were so drat frightening then with their WS9/A4, one could quite easily chew up a Tactical Squad then die to the final few guys.

E: BRB, going to check the Rulebook & Wargear to check I haven't gone mad.

It was only piss easy to kill the things you were, with that model in base-to-base contact with. If you are on a standard size base, that's at most, 3 models per turn. One of Kharn's big rules in 2nd edition let him move and fight multiple dudes per turn. Genestealers would house a marine squad by having a bunch of cheap models that could contact all of them in b2b. For a single character, it's a big pain in the rear end.

One of the great changes of 3rd edition was letting a model in close combat allocate wounds to the unit he was fighting rather than a single model. In 2nd edition you didn't fight a unit, you fought a model that you were touching.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
2nd ed's rules really did benefit from being narrowed down to 10 dudes a side and being called Necromunda, really.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Drythe posted:

Which angry tractor is the preferred farm equipment in the grim dark battlefields of the Mechanicum?

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Bruennhilde

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Can one of you Horus Heresy havin' Goons answer a question for me?

I've got the first big book and some stuff to start the Sons of Horus with. A while back I mistakenly bought a Reaver squad before realizing that their rules are in Istvaan 2. Is that the only stuff for Sons of Horus in there? Should I pick that one up or just get the red book with the Legion Rules? Continuing on that line, are the changes to the army lists enough to warrant buying the Legion list book, or will I be set just working off the list from Istvaan 1?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Strangely enough, after the recent chat, this just showed up on my Facebook.

It is an Aegis Line made from a raccoon spine.

An Aegis.

Made from a raccoon.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Well it's better for the environment than casting it. Also would make some cool Krayt Dragon desert terrain.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I always like the Citadel Journal I think option of a model could take a equal number of points equivalent to it's initial cost for 2nd edition. We played that a lot because it made the game interesting and more like Rogue Traderish.

2nd edition was actually quite fun, and also incredibly frustrating but overall just fun to play, huge gently caress off battles were a pain but small 500 to 1000 points were great as long as Eldar were not involved.

2nd edition Eldar were loving bullshit.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hollismason posted:

2nd edition Eldar were loving bullshit.

The more things change the more they stay the same :v:

it is an eldar are OP joke

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

2nd ed's rules really did benefit from being narrowed down to 10 dudes a side and being called Necromunda, really.

Yeah they worked much better for gangs or even kill-team like scenarios. 3rd edition was a huge shock but as soon as I realized I could play a game that was double the points in half the time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Would a thunderfire cannon barrel get hot? I wanted to paint mine glowing red/orange/white hot but I don't know if it actually would.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

Would a thunderfire cannon barrel get hot? I wanted to paint mine glowing red/orange/white hot but I don't know if it actually would.

I think you've answered your question there. If you want to do it, do it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ijyt posted:

Since it would probably look cool? Yes, very hot!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As I clicked submit I realised it was a dumb question.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
That rakin bone wall offends me. Because he didn't bother filling in the gaps on the edges of the cardboard

Very fitting if his army is Deathworld Veterans or Kroot. :black101:

:whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The replacement bottom for my Dracosan...also does not fit. This is fun.

• Locked thread