Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Montasque posted:

USMNT fans are often retarded, and write for the bleacher report.

ney a truer statement could be said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Shrapnig posted:

I didn't have the heart to tell him.

Its gonna sting when he finds out.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Bea Nanner posted:

Not to say that it couldn't be better, but there is no academy churning out superstars constantly. Even Ajax mostly just creates functional players these days. Academies are just a roll of the dice where most of the time you lose, but occasionally something decent comes up. To expect Permier League quality players straight out of any academy is always going to be a rarity. That said, Arsenal's academy fell behind the pack a bit when they started getting real money again and buying the players they needed rather then trying to create them. I think Jonker's overhaul is very welcome, but to expect a constant stream of superstars is a pipe dream.

They're probably not superstars, but Southampton probably have the best academy in England. Over the last decade or so they've produced a bunch of solid Premier League players. They must be doing something right.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

They're probably not superstars, but Southampton probably have the best academy in England. Over the last decade or so they've produced a bunch of solid Premier League players. They must be doing something right.

They actually have produced at least one legit superstar, too.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

vyelkin posted:

They actually have produced at least one legit superstar, too.

Bale/Lallana/Walcott is a dench three behind *checks wiki* Alan Shearer??

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

EvilHawk posted:

They've benefitted from a huge catchment area for the population and dearth of teams around them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adnar posted:

A few years ago I went along to the FA youth cup final at the Emirates (Arsenal demolished Liverpool) and that was supposed to be the first team that had been brought through from kids completely under Wenger's system and would be core of the all british team he was building who played football The Arsenal Way

Here's the line up and (Current Club)

11 England Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (c) (Bristol City)

He's going to knock West Ham out of the out of the FA Cup this year.

Last season Emmanuel Thomas finished the season with 21 goals. His strike partner Sam Baldock, had scored 26 goals, meaning the two were the 3rd best strike partnership in England with 47 goals between them in the 2013/14 season, behind Liverpool's Suarez and Sturridge and Manchester City's Aguero and Negredo. tnx wiki.

Anyway, it may be league 1 but 21 in 55 games last season is not bad at all and he's going to help Bristol City back to the Championship this year. If he has a decent season next season he could well end up back in the prem. Stranger things have happened.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The gently caress is the Ben Arfa thing? It sounds really dumb.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Players can't play for more than 2 clubs in a season and apparently playing for the Newcastle u-21 team to gain fitness counts for some reason

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

tbp posted:

if you want a manchester united defender lvg could always give ninpo a call haha

:(

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The Guardian says that Liverpool are keen on ruining Matthew Ryan of Club Brugge.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/14/liverpool-australia-goalkeeper-mathew-ryan-club-brugge

Sorry, Australia.

I have no idea what this guy is like, but he's so young that it makes me wonder how he'll prosper while Reina and Mignolet declined.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Mat Ryan is Australia's first choice because he's playing every week and he'd be stupid to lose his place in the national team by moving somewhere to be second choice, and I'm not convinced he's ready to play for a 'title challenger' in a top league yet. That said he's always gone on about how he wants to play in England, but he's not a physical keeper and is only 6" so I think he'd struggle. He's very good with his feet though and is best playing high up as a sweeper, so maybe he'd do well in The Rogers System?

I've also heard vague rumours that Liverpool are keeping an eye on another Australian star, Matt Spiranovic, who plays in central defense in the A-League. He's no where near good enough though. I'd guess a good Asian Cup run would do a lot of Australian players well in the eyes of clubs too.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Yep as Bogan said, he's fantastic with his feet and very quick off his line but most views are that his height would limit him from the top top level (especially in England)

He's probably the best youth product to come out of the A-League. 22 with 140 first team appearances in Australia and Belgium is a good level experience for a keeper too.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
If he's actually 6' that's not too bad, Casillas is only an inch taller.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Mat Ryan is Australia's first choice because he's playing every week and he'd be stupid to lose his place in the national team by moving somewhere to be second choice, and I'm not convinced he's ready to play for a 'title challenger' in a top league yet. That said he's always gone on about how he wants to play in England, but he's not a physical keeper and is only 6" so I think he'd struggle. He's very good with his feet though and is best playing high up as a sweeper, so maybe he'd do well in The Rogers System?

I've also heard vague rumours that Liverpool are keeping an eye on another Australian star, Matt Spiranovic, who plays in central defense in the A-League. He's no where near good enough though. I'd guess a good Asian Cup run would do a lot of Australian players well in the eyes of clubs too.

Tbh he'd probably be first choice at Liverpool right now, the only thing stopping Rodgers from playing Brad Jones in goal right now is the fact he got injured.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

vyelkin posted:

Tbh he'd probably be first choice at Liverpool right now, the only thing stopping Rodgers from playing Brad Jones in goal right now is the fact he got injured.

He's about a million loving times better than Brad Jones but doesn't have cool hair like Big Bradders

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
"brad jones" might be the most boring name i've ever heard. what does he look like?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Your Weird Uncle posted:

"brad jones" might be the most boring name i've ever heard. what does he look like?

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
just as i suspected

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Brad Jones can throw the ball really far.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Paddyb posted:

Brad Jones can throw the ball really far.

Pity he can't catch it

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Places are saying Arsenal put in a £6m bid for Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Marcelo Brozovic. Pretty awesome name, so I guess I approve.

Here is the Mail link. It's elsewhere too, but I couldn't find the original source.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2909844/Arsenal-make-6m-bid-Marcelo-Brozovic-say-Dinamo-Zagreb.html

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bea Nanner posted:

Places are saying Arsenal put in a £6m bid for Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Marcelo Brozovic. Pretty awesome name, so I guess I approve.

Here is the Mail link. It's elsewhere too, but I couldn't find the original source.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2909844/Arsenal-make-6m-bid-Marcelo-Brozovic-say-Dinamo-Zagreb.html

I've been saying arsenal will buy an attacking midfielder this window

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Adnar posted:

Yep as Bogan said, he's fantastic with his feet and very quick off his line but most views are that his height would limit him from the top top level (especially in England)

He's probably the best youth product to come out of the A-League. 22 with 140 first team appearances in Australia and Belgium is a good level experience for a keeper too.

No, that was Marco Rojas. Shame he broke his ankle as soon as he signed for Stuttgart :(

Liverpool need to spend proper money on a already good and experienced keeper. We took a risk on Mignolet as he hadn't been in the League long and wasn't used to having the ball at his feet as much as he does now. I would have liked us to throw some serious money at (Betr) Cech as he is quality. Rodgers and Mourinho are close and Chelsea don't see us as challengers...shame they sold Schwartzer otherwise I think he'd have been available.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Cech could go to almost any club. Can't see him going to a place without CL football.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/14/manchester-united-suspend-european-scout-torben-aakjaer-facebook

Man Utd have sacked one of their european scouts lol

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Bogan Krkic posted:

Reina's shorter than that but was agile enough that it didn't matter, is this aussie turd not very agile then

Mignolet is big and a "good shot stopper" and still sucks rear end, I'd take a keeper who could come off his line over him. Look at de Gea in December

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Squeal Team Six lol

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

chuggo is BACK posted:

Reina's shorter than that but was agile enough that it didn't matter, is this aussie turd not very agile then

Mignolet is big and a "good shot stopper" and still sucks rear end, I'd take a keeper who could come off his line over him. Look at de Gea in December

The club brugge fans seem to be very excited about his form this season and he gets european football so I think he is decent. As a Socceroos fan I don't want somebody blighting themselves by enetering the rodgers system and getting ruined.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

chuggo is BACK posted:

Squeal Team Six lol

But enough about your mum haha.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

chuggo is BACK posted:

Reina claims to be 6'2" but I always remember him as being super short for a keeper so yeah. Maybe this Aussie won't be so bad.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Reina claims to be 6'2" but I always remember him as being super short for a keeper so yeah. Maybe this Aussie won't be so bad.

If nothing else he'll only be the second worst Australian keeper Liverpool have signed.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I remember when Norwich signed an Australian keeper would anyone like to guess what his goals conceded per game advanced stat was?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Daily Telegraph: Swansea are hoping to reinvest some of the money received for the £28m sale of Wilfried Bony to Manchester City on a £5m bid for Stuttgart midfielder Alexandru Maxim, 24.

I've watched him play once and he was bad.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Leeds have sold Stephen Warnock to Derby in news that makes me want to slam my head against a wall

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Doubt Brugge will let Ryan go that easily. He's been really good for them and their back-ups are kinda worhtless. Also Ryan himself will want to play every game, I dobut if he can be a guaranteed starter in the PL. But who knows, nobody is immune to money.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star Error posted:

I remember when Norwich signed an Australian keeper would anyone like to guess what his goals conceded per game advanced stat was?

5 in one half and never played again iirc, he is first choice at my a league club now and has found his level.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Byolante posted:

5 in one half and never played again iirc, he is first choice at my a league club now and has found his level.

Played 1 conceded 7. Didn't he change his name as well? I like to think it was out of shame.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star Error posted:

Played 1 conceded 7. Didn't he change his name as well? I like to think it was out of shame.

He went from Theoklitos to Theo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Yeah.

We used to chant 'conceded 7 for Norwich' when he came back with his tail between his legs.

Pretty successful local career since though.

• Locked thread