Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that must have taken so much restraint on the driver's part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

The first 3 candidates in dress rehearsals were canned for hitting 60 inside the building.

by the 4th guy, they nailed a wood block to the floor under the gas pedal.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

A MIRACLE posted:

Who are kidding, its all ecu controlled now, driver was probably an auto pilot like in MIB. No mere mortal could resist opening up the throttle on that halo car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, my dad's SHO did need a new front axle of some sort. I don't know exactly what happened to it but he lost all power on the highway, pulled over, and the parking pawl wouldn't work. It was sitting in park and he almost rolled into the cop car that parked in front of him.

It was covered under warranty and was actually part of a recall done.

That's it though, he's got over 60k on it now and he loves the poo poo out of it.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Tide posted:

There are not enough :flashfap: in the world for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-qSRnqUZg

It's cool looking but it sounded like a tractor.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

drat TW, really living up to that custom title today.

I've owned the following Ford vehicles in the last 8 years and all of them got the advertised MPG

2008 Escape (4cyl)
2009 Escape (4cyl)
2011 Fusion Sport (3.5L NA)
2012 Ford Explorer (3.5L NA)
2013 Taurus SHO (3.5L EB)
2014 Explorer Sport (3.5L EB)

I'd be interested if you supplied more information about these issues. Most of this seems to be your opinion, which of course you are entitled to. The only transmission issues with recent Ford's I'm aware of is the well documented issues with powershift unit on the Focus and Fiesta. I don't (obviously) keep my cars very long so I can't testify to the long term quality of the cars, but none of these cars gave me any problems at all. I put almost 70K on the Fusion with zero issues aside from routine maintenance, a set of tires and a new battery. My wife trades cars often, I don't think we ever went past 30K on any of hers ( The SUV's), and my current Taurus I've put about 16K problem free miles on so far for a total of 34K on the odo right now. I'll probably keep it another year and trade it in on something different.

Well the old Escape was based on an ancient Mazda 626 so whatever faults it had could be forgiven, the 6 cyl engine that they put into that generation was a Ford design and had all kinds of build quality issues, the 4 cyl Mazda engines were better.

The 2011 Fusion had massive transmission problems as it was the first year that they switched from the old Mazda transmission to the new Ford/GM joint venture 6 speed. Your 3.5l Sport didn't use that trans and continued using the old bulletproof Aisin(Toyota) tranny. The Hybrid also didn't have any issues because it was again essentially a Toyota drivetrain. This was also true of the Escape.

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/6384-2011-transmission-issues/

They eventually did a massive recall, I guess once the warranty costs from replacing all those transmissions started getting noticed. Interestingly GM vehicles that use the same transmission have no issues that I know of. GMs quality as far as I can tell is generally better than Ford's, they just have very odd product design and planning. e.g. the Camaro is a very fast, very reliable vehicle that's still loving terrible.

I guess I don't have any issue with the Explorer or the SHO other than the Chrysler competitors are just better?

Even the EPA rated fuel economy of most Ford vehicles just isn't very good compared to Honda or Toyota. Not even considering that their turbo engines mostly seem to get much worse fuel economy in actual usage compared to EPA ratings, more so than other car makers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr-Spain posted:

It reminds me of a deuce and a half.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

After everything I've seen in the last few years I think its very likely my next vehicle will probably be an American one unless Mazda puts out a really awesome V6 RWD sedan.

The new charger is absolutely growing on me and the only thing that remains to be seen is how well it drives and how fun it is compared to my Mazda3.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My wife doesn't pass a Fit on the road or hear the word fit in any context without reminding me she wants a Fit as our next car. I think our next car might have to be a Fit, and I'm okay with that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PCOS Bill posted:

My wife doesn't pass a Fit on the road or hear the word fit in any context without reminding me she wants a Fit as our next car. I think our next car might have to be a Fit, and I'm okay with that.

They're nice cars. We looked at one but ended up going with a Fiesta because you could get a lot more options on a Fiesta than on a Fit. Because of the depreciation expected, we were able to get a lower monthly lease payment, and our car has heated leather seats, satellite radio and bluetooth. It looks like you can get bluetooth in the Fit now but I don't think you could back in '12 when we got ours. And satellite radio (if it's available at all) must be bundled with nav, which we didn't want. We insisted on a manual transmission, and that alone locks you out of the top two Fit trims according to their website.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CornHolio posted:

Because of the depreciation expected, we were able to get a lower monthly lease payment

Are you telling me that the Fiesta depreciates less than the Fit?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

They're nice cars. We looked at one but ended up going with a Fiesta because you could get a lot more options on a Fiesta than on a Fit. Because of the depreciation expected, we were able to get a lower monthly lease payment, and our car has heated leather seats, satellite radio and bluetooth. It looks like you can get bluetooth in the Fit now but I don't think you could back in '12 when we got ours. And satellite radio (if it's available at all) must be bundled with nav, which we didn't want. We insisted on a manual transmission, and that alone locks you out of the top two Fit trims according to their website.

That's okay, the EX in manual is perfect, I went and drove one on a whim one day when I was out running errands near a Honda dealership and really liked it. Neither of us likes leather seats or needs/wants Bluetooth or navigation. I had a Mazda 2 as a rental for a while when some dummy hit my car a couple years ago, and it was alright, but the Fiesta is just completely uncomfortable for me. I have long legs, and it just felt cramped.

I'm just not in a good place to buy a new car right now. I could make the payments easily right now, but I can't guarantee 2-3 years from now I'm still in the same position. So I'm in "save some money for a bigger down payment down the road" mode, as the vehicle my wife drives may also not be so hot in 2-3 years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you telling me that the Fiesta depreciates less than the Fit?

It's probably that Ford is able to offer a lower selling price, which makes the difference between the selling price and the residual smaller which makes cheaper payments. When we were scoping out leases just to see, my wife and I encountered a similar thing where the best lease deal we could work on a Focus showed that it would depreciate less than the best leasea deal we could work on a base spec Civic somehow.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Have some GT noise from someone with a stupid youtube name.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

skipdogg posted:

Historically the Korean imports have brought a value proposition to the table, you can get a car similarly equipped to another manufacturers car but at a less expensive price. That's why people began to buy them. If the Sedona was priced 3,000 dollars less than the Honda it would make more sense to me.

Kia is now asking for an almost exact same price as the best vehicles in the segment, removing their value proposition which does beg the question if someone is going to spend 42,000 dollars on a new Minivan why the gently caress would they choose the Kia over the Honda. Maybe the car is better than the Honda, if it is I would expect a poster to write up a response saying that, and detailing why Kia is now at the point where they can command a similar price to the established market leader in the minivan segment.

Even if pricing is equal, there's still the warranty thing which has a significant value proposition. Kia has 10 years, 100,000 miles (powertrain), and 5 years, 60,000 on everything else. Honda has 3 years, 36,000.

If you do not think warranty coverage is that big of deal, I'd be willing to bet the kind of people who buy a minivan *DO* value warranty coverage.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

skipdogg posted:

Speaking about imports, the new Kia Sedona minivan, the top trim model runs over 43K MSRP, who in their right mind would buy this Kia over a Honda Odyssey Touring Elite when they're the same price?

While Motortrend does tend to be a bunch of Kia fanboys of late here is a recent comparison test that outlines some of the reasons why someone would get a Sedona SXL over a Honda Odyssey or other minivan right now.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/minivans-vans/1501_the_big_test_2014_2015_minivans/

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Even Lexus builds the occasional lemon, there's no guarantee of reliability even from the best brands, only better odds.

I wouldn't personally buy a Korean car but they make sense for the kind of people who buy Souls and minivans, a ten year warranty on the drive train and five years on the rest blows away the Japanese and is more valuable to most people than having a slightly lower rate of problems.

That resale data linked earlier was surprising though, anecdotally around here Hondas and Toyotas hold value way better than anything else on the secondary market.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Mr-Spain posted:

A lot of those kind of cars sound like poo poo unless you put you foot down. I've heard Lamborghinis being driven slowly in town, and they sound bad too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

kill me now posted:

While Motortrend does tend to be a bunch of Kia fanboys of late here is a recent comparison test that outlines some of the reasons why someone would get a Sedona SXL over a Honda Odyssey or other minivan right now.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/minivans-vans/1501_the_big_test_2014_2015_minivans/

That was a really good article, looks like KIA hit a homerun with that van. Makes me want to go look at one.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

skipdogg posted:

That was a really good article, looks like KIA hit a homerun with that van. Makes me want to go look at one.

I hear Chrysler is retooling their minivan plant for the next generation of Town and Country, I'm really interested to see what they come out with.

Not because I'd buy one, but historically they've been the go-to company for Minivans, and have always been very innovative with things like Stow-N-Go and whatnot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Twerk from Home posted:

It's probably that Ford is able to offer a lower selling price, which makes the difference between the selling price and the residual smaller which makes cheaper payments. When we were scoping out leases just to see, my wife and I encountered a similar thing where the best lease deal we could work on a Focus showed that it would depreciate less than the best leasea deal we could work on a base spec Civic somehow.

It's possible - and that would be what is happening - except I think the Fit is drat near close to the least-depreciating car sold in the US. More likely that Ford is straight out offering more incentives including lease rate subsidies.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I hear Chrysler is retooling their minivan plant for the next generation of Town and Country, I'm really interested to see what they come out with.

Not because I'd buy one, but historically they've been the go-to company for Minivans, and have always been very innovative with things like Stow-N-Go and whatnot.

LX based. hellcat minivan!

That would probably kill floor/storage space in the back, but that's a sacrifice i think we all need to be willing to make.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

skipdogg posted:

A good friend/coworker of mine just bought one for his family, hes a car guy (one without real brand preference) and a savvy shopper so I assume it's the best and the best value of the bunch.

I end up renting a lot of minivans for work and I didn't really believe him until I had a Sedona rental last week, drove very nice, was comfortable, more then enough power.

Really the only thing its missing is proper Stow and Go seats in the Chrysler. Thats fantastic for moving gear around but I imagine if you're just hauling kids then thats more of a moot point, and the rest of the van makes up for the lack of stow and go.

The Sienna definitely feels 'sport' and its more fun to drive then the Chrysler since I had them back to back, would like to drive it again after driving the Sedona though to compare.

No one rents Odysseys, nor do I know anyone that owns one, so I cant speak for that, will have to go with MotorTrends take.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
A Kia minivan now comes with 276 hp standard. This is a very strange future we live in.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It appears to even have good safety scores, so you can't even make the obvious Kia jokes from that angle.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 220 days!)

InitialDave posted:

It appears to even have good safety scores, so you can't even make the obvious Kia jokes from that angle.

Figures you'd go for a sideline- when the whole premise is crippled.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PeterWeller posted:

This would be relevant if we were talking about sports cars instead of appliances.

No? Civics were never really sports cars but they weren't boring as poo poo. Everything Honda and Toyota, aside from the 86, is boring and uninspired now. Mazda only has one true sports car but the rest of their cars are still sporty and engaging to drive. Whens the last time you got excited to drive a honda, ten years ago?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I really like the looks of the Kia Sedona. If I needed a minivan, it's the one I would choose. Kia has absolutely left Hyundai in the dust when it comes to styling.

As for the old guard, some safe bets for the new Town & Country is that it will get the 9 speed auto, rotary gear selector, Cherokee/200 AWD, and the upgraded Pentastar (confirmed power boost but nothing else atm). It should be pretty drat quick, even more so if they were perverse enough to shove the turbo PentastarMaserati V6 under the hood.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tekne posted:

even more so if they were perverse enough to shove the turbo PentastarMaserati V6 under the hood.

They could even call it the Chrysler TC (for Town and Country, obviously) by Maserati :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tekne posted:

I really like the looks of the Kia Sedona. If I needed a minivan, it's the one I would choose. Kia has absolutely left Hyundai in the dust when it comes to styling.

Then you should be excited for their new stuff.

quote:

Peter Schreyer (born 1953) is a German automobile designer for Kia Motors,[1] widely known for his design contributions to the Audi TT.[2][3][4]

In 2006, Car Design News called the Audi TT one of "the most influential automotive design in recent time".[5]

He has been the Chief Design Officer at Kia Motors since 2006[6] and on 28 December 2012, was named one of three presidents of the company.[7] Three weeks later, he became the Chief Design Officer of both Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

D C posted:

A good friend/coworker of mine just bought one for his family, hes a car guy (one without real brand preference) and a savvy shopper so I assume it's the best and the best value of the bunch.

I end up renting a lot of minivans for work and I didn't really believe him until I had a Sedona rental last week, drove very nice, was comfortable, more then enough power.

Really the only thing its missing is proper Stow and Go seats in the Chrysler. Thats fantastic for moving gear around but I imagine if you're just hauling kids then thats more of a moot point, and the rest of the van makes up for the lack of stow and go.

The Sienna definitely feels 'sport' and its more fun to drive then the Chrysler since I had them back to back, would like to drive it again after driving the Sedona though to compare.

No one rents Odysseys, nor do I know anyone that owns one, so I cant speak for that, will have to go with MotorTrends take.

The Stowngo seats stow underneath the floorpan, Chrysler minivans can have it because they have a twist beam rear suspension and no AWD. With the next generation going to IRS and available AWD it might be gone for good unless they come up with something radical like electric motors for the rear or some such.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's possible - and that would be what is happening - except I think the Fit is drat near close to the least-depreciating car sold in the US. More likely that Ford is straight out offering more incentives including lease rate subsidies.

This was the case when we cross shopped the Acura MDX to the Explorer Sport. The Acura didn't have a discount off MSRP, and no incentives. We bought the Explorer for more than 4K off MSRP between dealer discount and lease incentives. Made a big difference in the lease payment. The residual values were pretty close to the same but that 4K difference made the Ford the winner.

CornHolio posted:

I hope they go a bit more upmarket on the interior and refine some things. My wife's Aunt bought one 2 years ago, A 2013 model year I think, 100% fully loaded T&C. HID's, entertainment, power everything. Her cousin drives a 2012 Sienna XLE, the difference between the two is very noticeable. The Toyota is nicer in many ways even though it's not as well equipped. One of the most glaring differences to me is the side doors operating, the Toyota's are smooth and quiet, the T&C, not as much.

I will say they got a smoking discount off MSRP on the T&C though, over 5K I think. The value is there right now.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

If the 200 is any indication, I think those refinement issues will be a top priority. It has acoustic laminated glass to cut down road noise, a soft touch dash, and real wood accents on the higher trims. Chrysler would be loving retarded to not apply those to the T&C, their biggest seller and with a next gen most likely more expensive than the 200 when it arrives.

On a random note, I'd pick up a used Kia K900 in a few years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tekne posted:

If the 200 is any indication, I think those refinement issues will be a top priority. It has acoustic laminated glass to cut down road noise, a soft touch dash, and real wood accents on the higher trims. Chrysler would be loving retarded to not apply those to the T&C, their biggest seller and with a next gen most likely more expensive than the 200 when it arrives.

Are the K900s depreciating like the Hyundai Equus? I've been watching Equuses on Autotrader, and the top trims appear to depreciate more than $1/mile.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Are the K900s depreciating like the Hyundai Equus? I've been watching Equuses on Autotrader, and the top trims appear to depreciate more than $1/mile.

loving hell. I should pick up an Equus.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CornHolio posted:

They could even call it the Chrysler TC (for Town and Country, obviously) by Maserati :v:

:golfclap:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

El Scotch posted:

Have some GT noise from someone with a stupid youtube name.

Here it is on the track (kinda)

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Tekne posted:

Just came home from the Boston Auto Show and this was one of the cars that was most impressive to me. I mean obviously the Astons and the likes were nicer, but out of the main manufacturers, the K900 was really nice. Not nice enough that I'd pay for a new one, but I'd definitely consider it used at the right price. I came away really impressed with everything about it. If I didn't have a big rear end loving Kia logo on the steering wheel, I'd never guess it came from them.

The new Nissan Murano was surprisingly awesome too. The seats are god damned comfortable. It's far nicer than my wife's 2010, that's for sure.

Lincoln really needs to work on differentiating from Ford. There wasn't a single Lincoln that made me think it was worth $10k+ over the Ford platform mate 20 feet over from it.

I felt sort of bad for Mitsubishi though. All these other manufacturers had pads with like 10-15 cars, Mitsubishi had like 3 cars squeezed into a corner. "Hey guys, we still make cars too!"

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 16, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Lincoln really needs to work on differentiating from Ford. There wasn't a single Lincoln that made me think it was worth $10k+ over the Ford platform mate 20 feet over from it.
Although I will say a black MKZ manages to look classy as hell even if it's covered in salt because that's what happens to the roads this time of year. I'd rock one if I could afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Nodoze posted:

No? Civics were never really sports cars but they weren't boring as poo poo. Everything Honda and Toyota, aside from the 86, is boring and uninspired now. Mazda only has one true sports car but the rest of their cars are still sporty and engaging to drive. Whens the last time you got excited to drive a honda, ten years ago?

Nah, none of the cars we were talking about really get the blood pumping. The 3 is relatively fun for a boring compact shitbox. Are you gonna tell me that the Elantra is exciting?

And I'd rather get an Si than a 3s. :colbert: