Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
So your posts were completely wrong, got it. I was taking about Steve Jackson Games, who I assumed based on your posts had a product called Total Warhammer.

I highly doubt that GW gives a poo poo if the game is called Total Warhammer, because Warhammer is hugely prominent in the name and is included in full. It's Sega who would care because Total War isn't prominent enough in that title, which is why the title us Total War: Warhammer and I can't believe you made me post this about what is basically a joke made by fans.

E: ahaha, you edited your posts to hide your fuckup

shalcar fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

You're really hammering on that irrelevant point.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

shalcar posted:

I highly doubt that GW gives a poo poo

I can assure you.

You would be wrong.

Waiting patiently for skaven rushes.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Gimnbo posted:

You're really hammering on that irrelevant point.

Everyone taking about the name? I agree.

A good post, imo.

In all seriousness though, with no details announced there really isn't anything to talk about beyond "yay, I like setting" or "I wanted the other setting! ". It's nice to have it confirmed, but it's not really major news.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

shalcar posted:

Everyone taking about the name? I agree.

A good post, imo.

In all seriousness though, with no details announced there really isn't anything to talk about beyond "yay, I like setting" or "I wanted the other setting! ". It's nice to have it confirmed, but it's not really major news.

Well I meant the fact that you couldn't seem to accept that the person made an honest mistake by saying Steve Jackson Games rather than Games Workshop.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
[quote="Grand Prize Winner" post=""440241"]
I can't be the only one that's a little disappointed they're not calling it Total Warhammer, though.
[/quote]

Total Warhammer sounds like a magazine to me, to be sold on a shelf alongside Woman's Weekly and Popular Mechanics. :3:

I hope CA uses the fluff to put in wild random events and whacky character traits, there should be no shortage of crazy/awesome background material to tap into.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Delacroix posted:

Total Warhammer sounds like a magazine to me, to be sold on a shelf alongside Woman's Weekly and Popular Mechanics. :3:

I hope CA uses the fluff to put in wild random events and whacky character traits, there should be no shortage of crazy/awesome background material to tap into.

Your general looted some badass sword during the last battle! Whoops, it was cursed and turned him and his entire army into an undead horde; now you got to kill them (again).

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Your general looted some badass sword during the last battle! Whoops, it was cursed and turned him and his entire army into an undead horde; now you got to kill them (again).

To be fair that is a better reason than in M2 when generals just flipped because they felt like dying and wanted to take an entire stack with them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I mean obviously they were never really gonna call it that, I don't think anyone really expected them to.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

shalcar posted:

I highly doubt that GW gives a poo poo if the game is called Total Warhammer, because Warhammer is hugely prominent in the name and is included in full.

You've clearly never worked with in house attorneys in charge of Protecting The Brand, because that is exactly the kind of thing they give a lot of shits about. And I'm pretty sure GW has some.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I wonder how TWC will react when CA get Warhammer lore "wrong".

I wouldn't get too excited for Skaven because the underempire would be pretty difficult to fit into the standard style of Total War map. Also given this is coming out after the Warhammer End Times stuff if GW don't reset the setting and CA coordinate the game with it then it will be missing a number of the cooler armies. Hell if the weird rumours about the new edition are true the Warhammer:TW game might even resemble Eador: The Broken World.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Hell if the weird rumours about the new edition are true the Warhammer:TW game might even resemble Eador: The Broken World.

Huh some videogames aside I haven't been into Warhammer since my early teens, but I always thought the larger setting was pretty much static. They could just set the game whenever to include loads of factions though surely.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
So, for us not much in the know about what Warhammer entails except that it's Orcs and Humans and was once maybe an inspiration for Warcraft, what kind of factions and units could we be looking at here?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

StarMinstrel posted:

So, for us not much in the know about what Warhammer entails except that it's Orcs and Humans and was once maybe an inspiration for Warcraft, what kind of factions and units could we be looking at here?

There's pike and shot humans, barbarian orcs, 'wacky engineering' ratmen, demon vikings, Aztec lizards, dwarf dwarves, King Arthur style knightly humans and the usual elf stereotypes of posh elves, bondage elves and woodelves. There's more but that's what I recall off the top of my head.

e; Vampire counts with undead accomompaniment. The factions all have various sub-varieties so there's pretty big potential for fun match ups. A human army could in gameplay terms be a weird mix of Napoleon and the HRE from Medieval 2.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 15, 2015

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I wonder how TWC will react when CA get Warhammer lore "wrong".

By all accounts GW are super super over the top about making sure lore in games is correct.

Looking forward to this, but I don't think the Warscape engine is up to the job. Unit collision please.

The DLC will 100% be totally out of control as well.

Kial fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 15, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kial posted:

By all accounts GW are super super over the top about making sure lore in games is correct.

I expect they will have some GW Liason as an in between who will ensure lore will be correct. TWC will no doubt be angry at the lack of strong white fascist factions punishing everyone who isn't a strong white fascist faction.

I personally deep down hope the game is a hit and forces them to face the fact it exists. For now most will not give a gently caress and go back to making the same boring RTW2 revamps.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

From what I can remember:

-Human Empire: 30 Years' War era Holy Roman Empire, but with magic, witchhunts, and crazy technology
-Bretonnia: Pretty much high medieval France with a focus on heavy cavalry
-Chaos: Pseudo-Viking raiders, augmented with crazy mutants, daemons, cultists and chaos magic
-Orks: Orks.
-High Elves: Medium and heavy infantry and cavalry, highly skilled units but generally few in numbers and expensive.
-Dark Elves: A little bit like high elves, but generally lighter armor in return for more offensive power. Augmented with strong magic and trained monsters.
-Wood Elves: Super mobile light skirmishers with lots of bows everywhere, also the occasional forest monster.
-Skaven: Ratmen who drown the enemy with shitloads of lovely infantry. They also have really strong, if unpredictable artillery
-Dwarves: Heavily armored slow infantry, lots of guns and artillery.
-Khemri: Ancient egypt, but they're all skeletons
-Vampires: Lots of rather lovely zombies and skeletons, augmented by a handful very strong vampires controlling them.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 15, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Come on now, you know you can describe Warhammer Orks better than that.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Dont forget Cossack Orgres

Guy below me: Fantasy orcs also waaagh

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 15, 2015

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Was Waaagh!! just a 40k thing or is that in the fantasy one too? That could be a fun mechanic, it could even build off confederations if they went into more depth with it.

For total war nerds who aren't warhammer nerds, GW orcs thing is that they are a scary but disorganised nuisance on the edge of civilisation, except when a Waaagh!! happens then they go all Genghis Khan.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 15, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's also Kislev which is a 16th century PLC and Russia mix.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Are the unit sizes likely to be smaller than in typical TW games? Maybe it will be more in the direction of Myth, which was a pretty awesome game in its time

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

alex314 posted:

There's also Kislev which is a 16th century PLC and Russia mix.

And Cathay and the Dogs of War. The former of which is basically dark fantasy china and the latter of which is a catch-all for every mercenary group in the world.

That nation list really doesn't give credit to the sheer amount of crap Warhammer FB has in it though. The Empire alone has a ton of factions in it. And don't forget the Ogre Kingdoms and all the other crap that only rarely shows up. Like the race of Lizardmen that secretly control the world, can sink continents, and are about ten times as autistic in following the instructions of the old gods as your average goon is.

If they put out a Warhammer game they had better make it really moddable. Because the sheer size of the setting means that they'll never put everything they could in it. And people will crucify them for that. You think TWCenter is bad? Wait until you see some goony bastard rage because he couldn't play as the shifty double crossing not-Spaniard faction. Or as an arabian kingdom knockoff.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 15, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Earwicker posted:

I really don't understand why hardcore history people are playing these games at all.

They're not hardcore history people. They're nerds who think they're hardcore history people. Huge difference.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I imagine they are so self deluded and jaded they won't believe any real world properly taught history aside from their own clearly biased incorrect brand brought on by gaming entertainment.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Earwicker posted:

Are the unit sizes likely to be smaller than in typical TW games? Maybe it will be more in the direction of Myth, which was a pretty awesome game in its time

Warhammer is fairly mutable, with players using a point-buy system to command anything from an elite platoon to an entire army. And much of that is limited by the reality of actually playing so many units, with the fluff featuring the clash of multiple armies at a single time. So the unit scales should probably be the same as other TW games, but perhaps with more of an emphasis on what TW players would call "Hero Units".

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
Back to TWCenter Reacts to TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER because it entertained me more than it probably should.

quote:

Honestly guys, I think it's a curse in disguise for Total War to be going down this route. It's a slippery slope when you take your franchise out of the grounded world of historical reality and open it up to the endless impulses of fantasy.

"Cry 'Fantasy!', and let slip the bonds of video game realism"

quote:

I'd love to know why this forum has a stick up its rear end about calling people out. It's not academia, it's a video game forum. Let people each other out on what they type. It isn't like this community is good, it's total cancer that hates playing video games.

:eyepop:

quote:

Wow. CA just signed their own execution order.

It's death warrant. As in "Who's the slimy little Communist poo poo twinkle-toed cocksucker down here, who just signed his own death warrant?"

quote:

Warhammer is not in the slightest bit interesting. It's a poor man's Lord of the Rings.

I don't know which fandom is more offended by this statement.

quote:

Will not be buying this game, or Attila, or any other Total War title...

#paradoxtillidie

The Invasion never Sunsets on the Paradox Empire.

quote:

It is also accurate to say that I'm a defender of traditional Total War "values" and I don't see that there is anything wrong with that.

Wait... Are we still talking about video games?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The general units are going to be the raddest wizards. :pcgaming:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Doink9731 posted:

quote:

Honestly guys, I think it's a curse in disguise for Total War to be going down this route. It's a slippery slope when you take your franchise out of the grounded world of historical reality and open it up to the endless impulses of fantasy.

Grounded

World

Of

Historical

Reality

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kial posted:

Looking forward to this, but I don't think the Warscape engine is up to the job. Unit collision please.

The DLC will 100% be totally out of control as well.
Units hit each other and stop, how is that not collision detection?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if they'll include the Knightly Orders in Total Warhammer (gently caress you that's what everyone will call it). I'd like to see some of the Pariah orders or the cursed orders who defied the Empire for worshiping foreign gods.

Also, Blood Dragon Vampire Counts. Militant Vampire cavalry.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if TWCcenter and Paradoxplaza have this weird migratory stations in their forums, where when CA releases a game people get enraged at how much they destroyed history so they go to ParadoxPlaza where true historical games exist, then Paradox releases another expansion\game where they destroy history yet again so they abandon Paradoxplaza in a fit and go back to TWCenter in nostalgia, only to be absolutely enraged when the next CA game makes a mockery of history.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mans posted:

I wonder if TWCcenter and Paradoxplaza have this weird migratory stations in their forums, where when CA releases a game people get enraged at how much they destroyed history so they go to ParadoxPlaza where true historical games exist, then Paradox releases another expansion\game where they destroy history yet again so they abandon Paradoxplaza in a fit and go back to TWCenter in nostalgia, only to be absolutely enraged when the next CA game makes a mockery of history.

I haven't read ParadoxPlaza in a long time but back when I did (which was in EU2 days) most people there referred to Total War as an "arcade game" and a "Warcraft clone"

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Perestroika posted:

Grounded

World

Of

Historical

Reality

You missed some.

Truly historical.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

This reminds me sorry for the off topic but this is actually a good place maybe. Can anyone recommend any sweet samurai movies while I reinstall Shogun 2 on my lovely connection? I'm not a history buff or anything but one without a white American protagonist would be nice.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

This reminds me sorry for the off topic but this is actually a good place maybe. Can anyone recommend any sweet samurai movies while I reinstall Shogun 2 on my lovely connection? I'm not a history buff or anything but one without a white American protagonist would be nice.

Seven Samurai, all the Zatoichi films, Ran, Yojimbo, basically anything starring Toshiro Mifune.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ran has one of the best battles in cinema.

and The Last Samurai is sweet don't hate

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

TEAYCHES posted:

I think it'll be good to see CA work with a loose fantasy license. I'm also completely gay for Imperial pikes against filthy goblins in the Total War engine. Extremely my poo poo.

same, I want to play as Khorne and add more skulls to the skull throne

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Earwicker posted:

You've clearly never worked with in house attorneys in charge of Protecting The Brand, because that is exactly the kind of thing they give a lot of shits about. And I'm pretty sure GW has some.

Attorneys tend to be quite relaxed about business partners using trademarks owned by our clients on a product where the trademark has been licensed to the business partner specifically for use on that product in exchange for cash and a royalty though. But yes this is a silly discussion; GW and CA/Sega will both want it to be called Total War: Warhammer because the name is familiar to customers of both products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Seven Samurai, all the Zatoichi films, Ran, Yojimbo, basically anything starring Toshiro Mifune.

For more recent stuff, how about 13 Assasssins or Hara-Kiri (the new one, I mean)?