Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Shaggar posted:

stop using git

Shaggar posted:

the only thing that's good about git is it makes inexperienced developers stand out really well.

it makes people with a good attitude who want to learn it stand out

it's like a litmus test for go-getters willing to take on extra work for no productive, practical reason at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

git

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

but is it a monad??

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
git - the stupid content tracker

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

knit if u git

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Stringent posted:

lol you're not even talking about git you're just ranting about ruby again

MononcQc posted:

You can get that one in git as:
code:
[alias]
    glog = log --pretty=short --graph --color --decorate --all
in your .gitconfig file, and by enabling the graphlog extension in mercurial.

I'm guessing you might have better poo poo in a GUI version of these things, but I'm a CLI man :shobon:

prosecution rests

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you want pretty graphs not from the command line just use sourcetree

or does git have a web server that does that stuff like mercurial?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

please explain the meaningful difference between the two in the context of "I need a particular jdk to build this revision of my product"

if janet checked the build tools into source control, you have whatever binaries janet happened to use. the exact ones. whatever they are. god help you if you need to port to any platform that isn't identical to janet's workstation. and you can't really track the history of the toolchain -- you just have a bunch of git hashes and commit logs, version data has to be extracted by rooting around in the binaries.

if you used a build system that specified its actual requirements, and stored your (immutable!) artifacts in a repository, you will get the meaningful version that the application requires. when the time comes to port from hp-ux to linux you are not up poo poo's creek, because that semantic version exists for multiple platforms

in real life "whatever the gently caress janet was using on her workstation" might work out ok under ideal circumstances, but what you really want is "oracle jdk 1.7.0 patchlevel 25," so you can go fetch the correct package version for your platform from a write-once store.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 15, 2015

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

it's like a litmus test for go-getters willing to take on extra work for no productive, practical reason at all

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if janet checked the build tools into source control, you have whatever binaries janet happened to use. the exact ones. whatever they are.

yes, that's what we want, thanks.

your weird scenario where you'd suddenly need to go back and produce a build for a platform you never released on is super bizzare.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

your weird scenario where you'd suddenly need to go back and produce a build for a platform you never released on is super bizzare.

he used linux and hpux as an example which means he's talking about some bespoke branch a customer paid $$$$ for and now they want to pay $$$$$ for a new upgrade

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hardware upgrade of course. the app needs to not change at all

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

git needs better verbs, copying svn's verbs would've gone a long way to address issues people have with it, then using whatever special snowflake rebases or whatever

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rotor posted:

yeah, if you're shipping whatever was built on janet's workstation, you're in more basic trouble. (but who hasn't done that in a panic at some point?)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

he used linux and hpux as an example which means he's talking about some bespoke branch a customer paid $$$$ for and now they want to pay $$$$$ for a new upgrade

which means that it's a complete retest regardless and the fact that oracle says it's a certain version doesn't mean poo poo because who knows what the bugs that jdk on hpux has

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but that just means more billable time!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you're porting, you're not reproducing anything, because you've never done that build before. you're now establishing the build environment for that produced artifact, which you should probably save for later as well. What do you actually do in this situation?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

i would prefer to specify tool/binary versions in chef/puppet/ansible instead of checking them into source control

but i got started with clearcase, and checking in binaries was sinful

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

prefect posted:

i would prefer to specify tool/binary versions in chef/puppet/ansible instead of checking them into source control

if you have a lovely tool that doesn't handle binaries well then yeah do what you gotta do

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

prefect posted:

but i got started with clearcase, and checking in binaries was sinful

where does chef/puppet/ansible find them? go grab visual studio off Microsoft's site somewhere?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Subjunctive posted:

where does chef/puppet/ansible find them? go grab visual studio off Microsoft's site somewhere?

ideally, you have an internal repository of binaries that you can get stuff from

but yeah, those tools can go out and grab stuff to install

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

prefect posted:

ideally, you have an internal repository of binaries that you can get stuff from

but yeah, those tools can go out and grab stuff to install

sure hope Microsoft wants to distribute a version of their compiler/etc. as long as you want it. if you keep a copy internally, congrats, you're preserving the build environment. (programmatically grabbing and installing visual studio at least is hard, do you actually do this?)

what do you do for operating systems? install from vendor media, hit some websites, run some installers? or save an image that's exactly what you want with everything in place?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Subjunctive posted:

sure hope Microsoft wants to distribute a version of their compiler/etc. as long as you want it. if you keep a copy internally, congrats, you're preserving the build environment. (programmatically grabbing and installing visual studio at least is hard, do you actually do this?)

microsoft distributes msbuild as a separate package, so that you can build stuff without visual studio. it can be a pain sometimes, but it's nice not having that giant thing on your build systems

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

prefect posted:

microsoft distributes msbuild as a separate package, so that you can build stuff without visual studio. it can be a pain sometimes, but it's nice not having that giant thing on your build systems

right, but don't you still need the compilers? I thought msbuild was just the build/project driver.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Subjunctive posted:

right, but don't you still need the compilers? I thought msbuild was just the build/project driver.

no, the compilers are in there, too. whole shebang

although a lot of times developers will use visual studio-specific msbuild stuff in their projects. it's a mess

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

prefect posted:

no, the compilers are in there, too. whole shebang

although a lot of times developers will use visual studio-specific msbuild stuff in their projects. it's a mess

that's pretty great. does MSFT provide a reliable location to pull a specific version from as you bring up a build machine via chef or whatever?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Subjunctive posted:

that's pretty great. does MSFT provide a reliable location to pull a specific version from as you bring up a build machine via chef or whatever?

i would like to think that they do, but you never know. i don't trust anything to last forever, so i try to keep a copy locally (past tense, actually, since i'm no longer in the windows building business :woop:)

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
Lmao at this git hate. SVN pre git sucked. I guess they fixed branching a little bit since then I dunno

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

most documentation sucks.

gonna out myself as a terrible programmer here.

i was looking at angular ui, which has "states" rather than "routes". what is a state? i kind of know implicitly that it has something to do with different representations of the UI, but nowhere does it explicitly say. then there's "nested states". OK, I'm trying to imagine what that looks like. googling "nested states" shows mostly the angular ui docs. i found a pretty good slideshare about nested views where someone explains it in programmer language, but not one screenshot of what that actually looks like.

i could give more examples and embarrass myself further but you get the idea. i wish documentation would just assume zero prior knowledge of a subject. in my experience some people don't have the ability to put themselves in the audiences shoes.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

PleasureKevin posted:

i was looking at angular ui, which has "states" rather than "routes". what is a state? i kind of know implicitly that it has something to do with different representations of the UI, but nowhere does it explicitly say. then there's "nested states". OK, I'm trying to imagine what that looks like. googling "nested states" shows mostly the angular ui docs. i found a pretty good slideshare about nested views where someone explains it in programmer language, but not one screenshot of what that actually looks like.

i could give more examples and embarrass myself further but you get the idea. i wish documentation would just assume zero prior knowledge of a subject. in my experience some people don't have the ability to put themselves in the audiences shoes.

A workflow of "What would I tell someone, now that I just made this thing, about how to use this thing in practice, if I was asked right now?" and writing down what you'd say seems obvious.

But nobody does this.

Why?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

angular is garbage

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

angular is garbage

i would not be disagreeing to say that it's better than most alternatives

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
knockout.js is way way better and is actually mvvm. angular is like some weird hosed up pseudo-mvc, but only in so much as it has the words model view and controller in there somewhere.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
1. binaries in source control is fine. it's nice and good to be able to checkout trunk and immediately be able to build

2. clearcase is actually pretty good as a source control system as a user, it's just a pain as a sysadmin

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so here is where i am at. the place that was hiring me for that jr. developer/support janitor thing still hasn't sent me a job offer letter. i asked why last week, they said they needed "final budgetary approval" for it (which they claimed to have received) and i should have it by the end of this week but i still don't have anything. no start date, no salary, nothing. i'm not sure if they're stalling, jerking me around, or are just run by clowns. in the meantime, i got contacted by a recruiter today for a jr. c# developer position with a big financial company located in the same city that i was speaking to last month saying they wanted to bring me in for an interview. i'm not sure what to do!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

why not go in for that new interview? seems like a pretty easy choice really

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

~Coxy posted:

1. binaries in source control is fine.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fart simpson posted:

why not go in for that new interview? seems like a pretty easy choice really

yeah that would probably be the best option. i don't care what shithole wants to pay me $45k for a line on my resume, i just want it to be the ~right~ shithole.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

well i mean even if you still want to take the first job or whatever, what bad thing can happen because you did another interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Luigi Thirty posted:

or are just run by clowns.

9 times out of 10 it's this

Luigi Thirty posted:

in the meantime, i got contacted by a recruiter today for a jr. c# developer position with a big financial company located in the same city that i was speaking to last month saying they wanted to bring me in for an interview. i'm not sure what to do!

do the interview

• Locked thread