Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

It will be whatever thread gets sidetracked into talking about alcohol the most frequently.

Docjowles posted:

It's hard to keep a thread going when the posters regularly drink themselves to death.
Well in that case does anyone here do Sharepoint development? I've been tasked with updating a web app that runs on top of it (:wtc:) but I can't find a way of updating the codebase without redeploying the entire site every time I want to push new files to the server. Is there no way to FTP updated files individually to a Sharepoint site like with normal web development? I'm currently working in Visual Studio and clicking Start which proceeds to nuke the current site and reupload everything.

...Now I understand why the other threads drank themselves to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Karthe posted:

Well in that case does anyone here do Sharepoint development? I've been tasked with updating a web app that runs on top of it (:wtc:) but I can't find a way of updating the codebase without redeploying the entire site every time I want to push new files to the server. Is there no way to FTP updated files individually to a Sharepoint site like with normal web development? I'm currently working in Visual Studio and clicking Start which proceeds to nuke the current site and reupload everything.

...Now I understand why the other threads drank themselves to death.

Your post is basically everything that is wrong with Sharepoint. And yes, last I checked there was no way to do that outside of editing "core" files.

Sorry about your unfortunate task.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

Your post is basically everything that is wrong with Sharepoint. And yes, last I checked there was no way to do that outside of editing "core" files.

Sorry about your unfortunate task.
Sharepoint has always struck me as a Document Management System anyway, why the hell are people trying to design applications that run on top of it? Did Microsoft shoehorn in that "ability" to try and piggyback off of the app store movement?

For now I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'll be set loose in a couple of months to code a proper web app version to replace the Sharepoint version. Until then I'll just slog through these updates to the Sharpoint version and mark the rest of them as "can't do".

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Microsoft does it themselves - see also Team Foundation Server.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Karthe posted:

Sharepoint has always struck me as a Document Management System anyway, why the hell are people trying to design applications that run on top of it? Did Microsoft shoehorn in that "ability" to try and piggyback off of the app store movement?

For now I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'll be set loose in a couple of months to code a proper web app version to replace the Sharepoint version. Until then I'll just slog through these updates to the Sharpoint version and mark the rest of them as "can't do".

Any attempt to turn sharepoint into anything more than a repository for files/knowledge/company portal site is doomed to tears. And stupid.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sharepoint may do literally everything you want but it's enormously complex. That's why Sharepoint devs/admin's make six figures.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Tab8715 posted:

Sharepoint may do literally everything you want but it's enormously complex. That's why Sharepoint devs/admin's make six figures.

Six figures? Please tell me about these jobs because I'd love one.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You don't want a sharepoint gig.

E: You have to be an expert on AD/Federation/IIS/Windows HA IN ADDITION TO being a dev.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't OneDrive for Business being moved to something that isn't SharePoint in the next year or so anyway because it turns out that it's not great at storing an unlimited amount of data.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

incoherent posted:

E: You have to be an expert on AD/Federation/IIS/Windows HA IN ADDITION TO being a dev.

That's not completely true. Aside from the standard Windows Server stuff you need to know AD, SQL Server, IIS and basic Windows crap because SharePoint only works well in IE.

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't OneDrive for Business being moved to something that isn't SharePoint in the next year or so anyway because it turns out that it's not great at storing an unlimited amount of data.

No poo poo, it's loving gross and SharePoint was never designed to hold large files but Microsoft markets it as a alternative to Dropbox which it absolutely is not.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Six figures? Please tell me about these jobs because I'd love one.

Have fun! http://www.indeed.com/q-Sharepoint-Administrator-$100,000-jobs.html

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

incoherent posted:

You don't.

Source: I have SharePoint gig.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Man, comparatively, I'm in Pennsylvania and can't find anything near that.

I don't gently caress with Sharepoint regardless but for 6 figures I might!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Lol what I need to start job shopping apparently

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Just spin up a few poorly thought out and implemented deployments with no buyin from the stakeholders

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

SharePoint gets a bad wrap. The main reason why it is so problematic in the real world is because it requires a lot of configuration and setup to work well. Most people just do a basic proof of concept for management with an underpowered farm, and then they get told "Great! Make it production!", and that's how you end up with really lovely implementations.

I've worked with it every day for just over a year now and at first I hated it, and then I loathed it, but now I've come to terms with my fate and it's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. The biggest issue is underfunded implementations or lovely admins who don't do any routine maintenance on the farm. Security updates? Pfft. SQL performance analyzing? Oh, let's only do that when tables are locking or long running queries take down the entire farm because we haven't indexed anything. Actually configure search crawlers? Who needs to do that? It's not a problem when a crawler hits every *.aspx page and crashes the farm.

Call it Stockholm Syndrome, but a lot of it can be attributed to lovely planning or lovely admins, which is usually what causes most problems in IT from what I've seen.

incoherent posted:

Just spin up a few poorly thought out and implemented deployments with no buyin from the stakeholders

The webdav mount isn't a bad idea, but I don't think most people realize you can still access 2007 sites with PowerShell.

http://get-spscripts.com/2011/03/using-powershell-scripts-with-wss-30.html

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For me the biggest red flag against using SharePoint for anything is that it's the only service that is almost constantly degraded in the Office 365 portal. Even Microsoft can't keep SharePoint running properly.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Probably because they edited the Office 365 sharepoint template files inside Program Files and oh my god why is everything broken

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of want to move all our department drives from SharePoint over to Onedrive for Biz, in hopes that they do spin it off and simplify it. I know O4B runs on SharePoint but at least my users can right-click share a file/folder with it.

Meanwhile mapping a SharePoint folder as a drive is only 37 easy steps!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They could throw all of OneDrive for Business into a hole and just give me a way to build a folder structure centrally and assign permissions to groups and I would be happy. Every product like this seems focused on the individual user sharing their own folders instead of a cloud version of a file server, which is a lot more familiar to people as a concept.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We looked at OneDrive for Business but so much of our sales force uses iOS devices that we had to give up on it, just not enough supported features for iOS. God I wish I could banish Apple from my work except for peoples personal phones...

I don't know why this is bothering me so much but I can't get icons to show up for applications in the software center! They show up in the app properties in SCCM and I've made sure to place the .ico files in a directory that everyone has full access to and no dice. Anyone ever come across this before? I'm going to let it bug me for one more day and then move on because it is trivial but I just see those default icons staring back at me in mock silence.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Hey, at least Apple isn't Blackberry.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

We looked at OneDrive for Business but so much of our sales force uses iOS devices that we had to give up on it, just not enough supported features for iOS. God I wish I could banish Apple from my work except for peoples personal phones...

I don't know why this is bothering me so much but I can't get icons to show up for applications in the software center! They show up in the app properties in SCCM and I've made sure to place the .ico files in a directory that everyone has full access to and no dice. Anyone ever come across this before? I'm going to let it bug me for one more day and then move on because it is trivial but I just see those default icons staring back at me in mock silence.

Nothing drives me more crazy then Mac's and Outlook Calendars

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gyshall posted:

Hey, at least Apple isn't Blackberry.

Yeah, whatever complaints you have about apple, at least you're not like me and have a BES server limping along in a VM for all 7 of our BB users. I'd kill to get them off of BlackBerry.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah, whatever complaints you have about apple, at least you're not like me and have a BES server limping along in a VM for all 7 of our BB users. I'd kill to get them off of BlackBerry.

I run BES 5 and 10 side by side right now for many hundreds of users and am going to be building BES 12 soon. Wanna trade?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

CLAM DOWN posted:

I run BES 5 and 10 side by side right now for many hundreds of users and am going to be building BES 12 soon. Wanna trade?

Hell no. Once those contracts are up, it's iphone time.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
What is the loving deal with sysprepping and capturing Windows 8.1 with MDT?

I deploy with MDT, but the capture never happens.

Do I need to deploy, pause, getappxpackage | removeappxpackage, THEN sysprep THEN capture?

Why do I have so many WIM files? Which version are they? AAARRGGHHH

#Deployment

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Oh joy, integrating 365 to out local network (and then moving in a couple of months :gonk)

I'm a bit confused though about 365 Hybrid setup with regards to password management. From everything I'm reading, its sounding like you can only change a password once the domains are linked from the local AD side and not in 365/Azure without a premium license that includes writeback?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Set up adfs and dirsync, manage passwords in your local AD like you always do.

Just adds another layer of education for users and the service desk, if you have a phone tied in, change your password, at the 90 day interval and don't immediately also change it on the phone, it will lock out out.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Yep. I get that. I just know that the other main admin guy is gonna bitch that we can't do it as easily remotely anymore. I suppose this is really a convenience vs control.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

AAB posted:

Yep. I get that. I just know that the other main admin guy is gonna bitch that we can't do it as easily remotely anymore. I suppose this is really a convenience vs control.

How would it be any different?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Currently 365 is a separate directory from the local one. Local doesn't have all the people in 365 but would then sync up with it. So right now we can reset either password from their respective side of things, especially 365 basically anywhere. I know this is kinda dumb which is why we're trying to unify everything for single sign on. Management wise, from what I understand, with a hybrid setup you could only change it from the local AD. I'm trying to make my life easier here without having to remote into the network to change a password.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AAB posted:

Oh joy, integrating 365 to out local network (and then moving in a couple of months :gonk)

I'm a bit confused though about 365 Hybrid setup with regards to password management. From everything I'm reading, its sounding like you can only change a password once the domains are linked from the local AD side and not in 365/Azure without a premium license that includes writeback?

This is correct. If you use Azure AD Sync, you can push your passwords from on prem AD to the O365 tenant and that works (password sync), but you have to have Azure Active Directory Premium licenses (not cheap), and install the AAD Connect software and enable writeback in order to allow your users to change their passwords in O365 and have it sync back down to on premise AD.

AAD Connect is still in 'public preview' and is not officially supported for another 60 days or so. There are 2 other sync tools, the legacy DirSync, and the Azure AD Sync tool. Once Azure AD Connect goes GA, both of those tools will be deprecated. AADConnect supposedly runs on the newer Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM) code instead of older Forefront Identity Management code.

We recently purchased Azure AD Premium and will be implementing everything as soon as writeback functionality goes into GA. For right now we have separate credentials for O365 and yes it's a giant pain in the rear end.

We never bothered standing up ADFS, so I don't know how password change functionality would work with that.

edit:

There are 3rd party SSO SaaS suites out there that can help you do what you want. Okta or OneLogin should have this functionality if you want to explore a non Microsoft SSO solution. I'm a fan of OneLogin to be honest.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 15, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ah yes, it's Apple's fault that Microsoft won't write a proper OneDrive app because they have to cling to their stillborn baby of a phone platform.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I have implemented ADFS and DirSync for both of our AD instances to O365. Using password sync, we are able to change passwords and attributes (phone, location, etc) locally and the changes are synced to the O365 AD.

The system works surprisingly well, but DirSync is a moving target, and the methods for doing a sync are different between my 2 instances because of a 6 month difference in setup time last year.

I'd love to play with ADD connect though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Ah yes, it's Apple's fault that Microsoft won't write a proper OneDrive app because they have to cling to their stillborn baby of a phone platform.

It's not their fault at all. I just hate having to have an MDM provider and jump through a bunch of bullshit hoops to support Apple devices because sales wants something shiny.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What non-Apple smartphone platform doesn't need an MDM to manage it?

I don't get Apple hatred when iOS devices are secure, play nicely with hundreds of different competing MDM providers, and are still the only devices to have an app volume purchase system in place. So it's not something you can domain join and manage with group policy, get over it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It's not their fault at all. I just hate having to have an MDM provider and jump through a bunch of bullshit hoops to support Apple devices because sales wants something shiny.

Thanks Ants posted:

What non-Apple smartphone platform doesn't need an MDM to manage it?

I don't get Apple hatred when iOS devices are secure, play nicely with hundreds of different competing MDM providers, and are still the only devices to have an app volume purchase system in place. It's not something you can domain join and manage with group policy, get over it.

Having had to spearhead this at my company, this is pretty accurate. No company is putting out both a good phone AND a really good and secure MDM platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Having had to spearhead this at my company, this is pretty accurate. No company is putting out both a good phone AND a really good and secure MDM platform.

It's not phones that I care about. I could care less what users do with their phones. Its iPads that get sent out to all of sales. I've been trying again and again to make the switch to surfaces or Yoga Pro's. Instead we have to try and find a way to make everything work on iOS, including office, sharepoint, etc. It's a giant pain in the rear end.