Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I love being able to control encounter frequency. Once I found groups of enemies I could easily dispatch I would double the encounter rate and just farm for a while (turn on auto-battle, dial the speed up to 4x and just wiggle the control stick while I watched TV).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

honestly using the friend attacks is probably fine because they drop off in utility pretty hard anyway

Depends on the friend attack.

I got an attack that hit the cap, took a whole stage off the final boss. Not the soft cap, to be clear.

The cap for Bravely Second damage. There were a lot of nines.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I picked up this game a few weeks ago and have been putting bits and pieces of time into it. :justpost:

Man, it's polished as gently caress. FFIII for the DS was my most memorable game on that system, and this feels like some kind of next-gen sequel to it with fan wet-dream additions from FFV and FF Tactics slapped on to its Job System. Speaking of FF Tactics, that goddamn Yoshida art everywhere, always with the semi-high fantasy with a hint of dark flavor, yessssss. What's this I hear about certain Jobs having character designs done by guest staff like from, say Nitro+?

Dual-language voices is always impressive on a tiny cartridge and I'm regretting playing with the albeit stellar :japan: tracks because wow, the localized text got really good, really quick. I guess it's easy to just switch anytime or just use the Event Viewer. Polished as gently caress.

I've only got two gripes about BDFF since I haven't played the spoiler chapter(s) yet (actually only near the end of chapter 2). The AR Movie feature still feels kind of tacked on as a feature specifically to sell the 3DS. I might just be a little frustrated that I don't have any of the 5 extra AR cards, probably. I'm playing on Hard mode for battles and just spamming Special attacks and friend Summons on bosses after getting my Rob Blind steals, which I think is kind of defeating the purpose of the tactics that older FF games required to beat tough bosses? Am I doing it wrong guys because it just feels so good to shoot off big numbers with special character music in the background

Stop using friend summons and instead send your own attacks out into the world. The most frustrating moment in this game was unleashing a bunch of my own spells and specials to buff my side and debuff the boss and accidentally killing the boss with the last turn before I used bravely second to lay down a 500k smackdown on a fairly major story boss. Sure, the game is easy to break. But breaking the game while sending out a higher friend summon than any of your friends have sent is satisfying.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
:siren:mrgrgr confirmed:siren:

also there's a job called exorcist that can turn back time, returning everyone's status to what it was up to three turns ago.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

And apparently one of the new jobs is Zeus from Disney's Hercules.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i think that one was supposed to be astrologer or something.

bigger thicker loads
Feb 28, 2003

you know you want it
I just started playing this game. My friend code is 0705-5126-0655, please be my friend!

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

bigger thicker loads posted:

I just started playing this game. My friend code is 0705-5126-0655, please be my friend!

I want to be your friend Mister bigger thicker loads! 0533-6749-7677

bigger thicker loads
Feb 28, 2003

you know you want it

Legin Noslen posted:

I want to be your friend Mister bigger thicker loads! 0533-6749-7677

Added you back. Thanks! Also, I added the last few people from the google doc in the first post.

bigger thicker loads fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 10, 2015

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

My code is 0189-9496-8208, bravely default late adopters!

Is there a trick to not make the fire temple boss drag out forever?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Red Bones posted:

Attacks that deal a set amount of damage or ignore defense will go through even when he's shielded. He's weak to Lightning. His big blast when he lets go of the shield deals Physical damage.

In fact, all special attacks monsters can do, with some very small exceptions, are Physical. Even stuff like breathing fire.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 11, 2015

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Are its HP drain attacks physical too?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Go Salve Maker and combine items that do Thunder-type damage. I forget what they're called.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I ended up grinding to get past it, waltzed my way through the next dungeon and now I'm at Eternia. This game's plot keeps surprising me in the coolest, funnest ways, especially since I was worried it was gonna be a bit bare bones on the writing front when I first bought it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Any tips for Chapter 7 fight against Heinkel, Barras and Ominas? I have Tiz as a Thief/Templar, Agnes is a Spiritmaster/Salve-Maker, Ringabell is a Ninja/Red Mage and Edea is a Valkyrie/Pirate. I think I need to switch Ringabell's secondary to Performer so that I can keep Agnes' BP up for Enigma and healing. I do have Agnes and Ringabell with BP Recovery, so if they get hit with Poison/Sleep they can recover some back, but it's not quite enough. I think I don't have enough abilities unlocked to truly cheese it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

irlZaphod posted:

I do have Agnes and Ringabell with BP Recovery, so if they get hit with Poison/Sleep they can recover some back, but it's not quite enough.

Take another approach; change who "they" are in this sentence.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Any tips for Chapter 7 fight against Heinkel, Barras and Ominas? I have Tiz as a Thief/Templar, Agnes is a Spiritmaster/Salve-Maker, Ringabell is a Ninja/Red Mage and Edea is a Valkyrie/Pirate. I think I need to switch Ringabell's secondary to Performer so that I can keep Agnes' BP up for Enigma and healing. I do have Agnes and Ringabell with BP Recovery, so if they get hit with Poison/Sleep they can recover some back, but it's not quite enough. I think I don't have enough abilities unlocked to truly cheese it.

You almost figured it out

Don't read this spoiler unless you want to break the entire rest of the game, but I think you're at the point where you begin to need it:

You don't have to wait to get Poison/Sleep cast on you for the BP bonus. You can cast it on yourself. There is also a passive ability that makes single-cast things like Poison effect your whole team.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh I'm aware of that. I've never really been able to land it regularly enough for it to be useful, though. I maybe need to strengthen my M.Atk or something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Oh I'm aware of that. I've never really been able to land it regularly enough for it to be useful, though. I maybe need to strengthen my M.Atk or something.

I think whoever I had casting it used dual rods and Status Ailment Amp just to make sure (Arcanist)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think whoever I had casting it used dual rods and Status Ailment Amp just to make sure (Arcanist)

You just need status amp and you'll hit every time. The second slot's much better as a shield.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
also once they're afflicted, every cast afterwards will "hit" as far as giving you bp.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yesssss I got it. :getin: I love how good it feels when you finally work your strategy well. I managed to get through it by keeping Agnes poisoned. On top of that, I had Ringabell absorbing some hits with Utsesemi/Kairai, then just chipped away at the trio one by one with Tiz and Edea. The only problem was Barras exploding at the end... I should have just been defaulting and letting him kill himself, but I was trying to get Tiz to get Rampart up. He got KO'd so I didn't get any JP for him. :smith:

Still feels like there's a long way to go, I could just go do the Crystals but I kinda want the JP from the subquests.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, this is definitely the best time to do sidequests. As a bonus, have someone with the Thief ability plus the passive that nets you double steals equipped, since the bosses on that chapter have some of the best gear in the game on them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah that's why I was rocking Tiz as a Thief, I mostly only got equipment that I already had, except for some nice armour from Heinkel I think. Maybe because I don't have that passive unlocked yet (I guess I could Abilink it).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Can I do the vampire castle stuff after I enter the pillar of light? I don't really feel like putting off the plot to go kill a bunch of dragons and count dracula, I wanna see what's in that light pillar.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, you can. The only thing is that the job you get in there is basically the Blue Mage, and there are many enemies who'll disappear once you go into the Pillar that won't show up again until the final chapter's bonus dungeon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Honestly, I'd recommend looking up a guide, since some of the spells you can't get again until the endgame can be pretty obscure, and a few of them are really good for later bosses.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Red Bones posted:

Can I do the vampire castle stuff after I enter the pillar of light? I don't really feel like putting off the plot to go kill a bunch of dragons and count dracula, I wanna see what's in that light pillar.

DO NOT DO THAT.

Just save yourself some misery and guide it for reasons mentioned above in spoilers. Seriously, you do not want to miss out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eh. I didn't do it until Chapter 5, and I never really used the Job anyway. If you think it sounds cool and wanna use the job (which is, admittedly, pretty drat cool and good), then yeah you should do it now. Otherwise, whatever.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Regarding the Vampire stuff. Get it before going into the light, then level up the class so you get the skill that charms an enemy and go to Wind Temple and get into a battle with Air Elementals. Charm one so it can cast White Wind on you. Reason for that is that the Air Elemental is one of the enemies you're not seeing again until the bonus dungeon and White Wind owns. Also, abilities learnable from monsters are inside anglebrackets in the monster's bestiary descriptions.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Red Bones posted:

Do what I did: save your game in another slot, go into the white pillar for about fifteen minutes, backtrack in mild disgust

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
they revealed a new job. i'd make a dumb pun but the article beat me to it: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/15/bravely-second-introduces-sweet-new-patissier-job/

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

quote:

Asterisk holder, Angelo W. Panettone, a pastry chef who uses the power of sweets to capture the hearts of ladies.

DANGER ALERT

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't imagine why they didn't send him against the Vestal in the first game, it would have been over in seconds.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cat wizards and pastry chefs, it's weird but I'm down with it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Justin_Brett posted:

I can't imagine why they didn't send him against the Vestal in the first game, it would have been over in seconds.

Edea was the one with the sweet tooth, not Agnes

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What's the Zeus dude's job again?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
"astrologian" which is not an actual word and will probably become astrologer or something for the western release.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Inflammatory posted:

"astrologian" which is not an actual word and will probably become astrologer or something for the western release.

Considering FFXIV is also getting an "astrologian" class, you might just see it stay as is.

Then again who knows, the just because both publishers are Square doesn't mean it will stay that way either; and they've changed the names of dumber things before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
"Magick"

• Locked thread