Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Greetings, thread. I'm in a kind of a sticky situation at the moment, and if there's anyone here knowledgeable about housing benefit and the processes involved I'd really appreciate some advice. Or failing that, I just need to vent massively.

Right now my household is financially hosed. I'm lucky enough to own my own place (a maisonette on a pretty grim Peabody Trust estate in North London) after a very generous legacy from my grandparents ten years ago. For the past eight years I've been renting my spare room to a friend of mine from Belgium who came over here after his life there fell apart. We'll call him K. I charge him a below-market-value rent of 80 quid a week, plus a share of all household bills. For many years he worked for Eurostar (he's a railwayman by trade; was a Chef Du Train with the Belgian railways), but he lost that job after developing depression in 2011, around the same time I left a very well paid job in central London with G4S to retrain as a personal trainer. He then spent two and a half years unemployed during which I supported him (and nearly bankrupted myself in the process) before landing a job with Iwoca in 2013- they terminated his employment a couple of months ago, just before his one year anniversary at the company and he's been unemployed since. Last summer I broke my shoulder, which made physical training incredibly hard/impossible for a long time; as a result I have very little money coming in myself (and have had to start looking for security jobs again as a result- something I swore I'd never do. G4S hosed me hard and destroyed my mental health- I ended up taking them to a tribunal and winning in 2012 as a result of this). As a result, I'm very reliant on his rent/share of the bills to be able to run the household- all the services etc are in my name, so I'm the one ultimately on the hook. Aside from a couple of hundred quid a month that my cohabitating GF throws my way and £3-600 per month I get from a couple of still-loyal PT clients, I have no other income.

Last month, K came up short by £50 on his rent, as his housing benefit had yet to begin again. I swallowed this, knowing he'd be good for it when he was capable. Throughout december he made multiple visits to sort out his benefit- bringing multiple copies of the documentation requested and getting receipts each time that he dropped off paperwork. Which brings us up to today. Due to a combination of Christmas expenses, various annual fees for insurance etc coming out of my account by direct debit and all the rest, I've found myself with a maxed out overdraft and less than a thousand available on my credit cards. Now, his share of expenses would at least enable me to function in the shortterm- however today he was informed by the council that 'as he had not provided information requested his claim has been terminated'. He went over today with all the paperwork, plus the receipts showing that he HAD in fact handed in this information, and now apparently his claim will be fast-tracked; meaning it will take two weeks to process. His presentation of receipts was just met with a flat denial that they had the information. So as a result, not only is he completely hosed but as a knock-on effect I have no money for food, fuel or to pay my mortgage and half the household bills which are still due to be taken out of my account.

What the gently caress can we do? He's been hosed by the system, in turn /I'm/ being hosed by it too, and it seems there's no way to get any sort of rapid resolution or recompense in spite of him having done absolutely everything required, in good time and good faith. I'm trying to fight off panic-attacks constantly, as ultimately it's me that any creditors will come after. I've applied for 50+ jobs over the past few weeks with nothing back, I've got a potential line on employment for the government that I'm working through the recruitment process for, but that's long-term and uncertain anyway, and because I own my own house (well, technically a building society owns most of it, but eh) I'm not eligible for most of the benefits I've researched- I've never taken a single penny from the government, have paid in my entire working life and frankly I'm on the verge of going berserk.

So yeah. Anyone have any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You could sell the property and downsize?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Zephro posted:

The Guardian Media Group is losing tens of millions of pounds a year. The newspaper and the website are subsidised by the GMG's investments (the GMG being owned, in turn, by the Scott Trust), but at some point they are going to have to at least break even.

With £850m in the investment fund (and there are other assets that could be sold to bolster it) it looks like the Scott Trust are doing a bang-up job of their stated mission to secure the future of the Guardian. The plan is to aim for losses of £20m pa, but even if that's missed, even modest growth in the fund will cover it. Other than the BBC, I'm not sure there's another media group on the planet with finances this robust.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Saki posted:

I don't think Simon Jenkins, notable Guardian commentator, is particularly right-wing though?

Disinterested posted:

Compared to UK Goons he's to the right of the Kaiser. Then again, so are most people.

It's a liberal paper, so it's not inherently left-wing, he's definitely more on the right of the paper's political spectrum and a hypothetical "real" left-wing labour would be further left than both of them even if it falls short of the UKMT's preferred full communism.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Camrath posted:

Greetings, thread. I'm in a kind of a sticky situation at the moment...
I can't offer housing benefit advice, I'm afraid, but if you think you're in danger of missing a mortgage payment, call your lender and let them know - they'll try to work out some kind of arrangement to reduce your payments temporarily.

Also, it may be a bit embarrassing, but could you ask your girlfriend or other family members for a loan?

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 15, 2015

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

LemonDrizzle posted:

I can't offer housing benefit advice, I'm afraid, but if you think you're in danger of missing a mortgage payment, call your lender and let them know - they'll try to work out some kind of arrangement to reduce your payments temporarily.

Also, it may be a bit embarrassing, but could you ask your girlfriend or other family members for a loan?

My GF, no- she works in a pub at weekends and makes costumes/clothing on commission/to sell in Camden during the week. She puts in as much as she possibly can. My parents might/probably would be able to help out, but I'm 33 loving years old and (due to a long period of my life where I was very ill) have taken too much charity from them already.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Camrath posted:

Greetings, thread. I'm in a kind of a sticky situation at the moment, and if there's anyone here knowledgeable about housing benefit and the processes involved I'd really appreciate some advice. Or failing that, I just need to vent massively.

Right now my household is financially hosed. I'm lucky enough to own my own place (a maisonette on a pretty grim Peabody Trust estate in North London) after a very generous legacy from my grandparents ten years ago. For the past eight years I've been renting my spare room to a friend of mine from Belgium who came over here after his life there fell apart. We'll call him K. I charge him a below-market-value rent of 80 quid a week, plus a share of all household bills. For many years he worked for Eurostar (he's a railwayman by trade; was a Chef Du Train with the Belgian railways), but he lost that job after developing depression in 2011, around the same time I left a very well paid job in central London with G4S to retrain as a personal trainer. He then spent two and a half years unemployed during which I supported him (and nearly bankrupted myself in the process) before landing a job with Iwoca in 2013- they terminated his employment a couple of months ago, just before his one year anniversary at the company and he's been unemployed since. Last summer I broke my shoulder, which made physical training incredibly hard/impossible for a long time; as a result I have very little money coming in myself (and have had to start looking for security jobs again as a result- something I swore I'd never do. G4S hosed me hard and destroyed my mental health- I ended up taking them to a tribunal and winning in 2012 as a result of this). As a result, I'm very reliant on his rent/share of the bills to be able to run the household- all the services etc are in my name, so I'm the one ultimately on the hook. Aside from a couple of hundred quid a month that my cohabitating GF throws my way and £3-600 per month I get from a couple of still-loyal PT clients, I have no other income.

Last month, K came up short by £50 on his rent, as his housing benefit had yet to begin again. I swallowed this, knowing he'd be good for it when he was capable. Throughout december he made multiple visits to sort out his benefit- bringing multiple copies of the documentation requested and getting receipts each time that he dropped off paperwork. Which brings us up to today. Due to a combination of Christmas expenses, various annual fees for insurance etc coming out of my account by direct debit and all the rest, I've found myself with a maxed out overdraft and less than a thousand available on my credit cards. Now, his share of expenses would at least enable me to function in the shortterm- however today he was informed by the council that 'as he had not provided information requested his claim has been terminated'. He went over today with all the paperwork, plus the receipts showing that he HAD in fact handed in this information, and now apparently his claim will be fast-tracked; meaning it will take two weeks to process. His presentation of receipts was just met with a flat denial that they had the information. So as a result, not only is he completely hosed but as a knock-on effect I have no money for food, fuel or to pay my mortgage and half the household bills which are still due to be taken out of my account.

What the gently caress can we do? He's been hosed by the system, in turn /I'm/ being hosed by it too, and it seems there's no way to get any sort of rapid resolution or recompense in spite of him having done absolutely everything required, in good time and good faith. I'm trying to fight off panic-attacks constantly, as ultimately it's me that any creditors will come after. I've applied for 50+ jobs over the past few weeks with nothing back, I've got a potential line on employment for the government that I'm working through the recruitment process for, but that's long-term and uncertain anyway, and because I own my own house (well, technically a building society owns most of it, but eh) I'm not eligible for most of the benefits I've researched- I've never taken a single penny from the government, have paid in my entire working life and frankly I'm on the verge of going berserk.

You should be elegible for jobseekers, if nothing else. ~£200-300/month isn't a lot but you might as well take it if you can get it. So long as you're willing to be regularly shamed and humiliated by pencil pushers on a regular basis.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Definitely call the mortgage company if you think you're going to be short on a payment, they should be able to work something out for you in the short run.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

ThomasPaine posted:

You should be elegible for jobseekers, if nothing else. ~£200-300/month isn't a lot but you might as well take it if you can get it. So long as you're willing to be regularly shamed and humiliated by pencil pushers on a regular basis.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm eligible- as I said, I bring in between 300 and 600 a month from PT clients, which would prevent any claim going ahead. And while (given I'm often paid in cash) I surely /could/ chance it anyway, my conscience wouldn't let me. And that's before you consider the risks of being caught defrauding the state.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

namesake posted:

Horribly murdering all the poor might be a little difficult.

Uh, not now that we have the neu-tron bomb it isn't.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Camrath posted:

Unfortunately I don't think I'm eligible- as I said, I bring in between 300 and 600 a month from PT clients, which would prevent any claim going ahead. And while (given I'm often paid in cash) I surely /could/ chance it anyway, my conscience wouldn't let me. And that's before you consider the risks of being caught defrauding the state.

With your income being as low as it is, you may be able to claim income support and support for mortgage interest.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Camrath posted:

You could try getting your tenant to write to your MP, see if they would chase it up. Or could your tenant apply for a hardship loan?

Could your flatmate not borrow money from his family or friends?

Edit: Get him to go to the homeless department and tell them you are throwing him out. The risk of him landing on them might help

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Camrath posted:

Do it and don't tell anybody. gently caress the state; it'll gently caress you every chance it gets.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Camrath posted:

because I own my own house (well, technically a building society owns most of it, but eh) I'm not eligible for most of the benefits I've researched- I've never taken a single penny from the government, have paid in my entire working life and frankly I'm on the verge of going berserk.

Having a mortgage is no barrier to benefits - there's even Mortgage Interest Support available if someone is on an income-based benefit - so don't panic too much. I'm guessing you are self-employed? This page is a good place to start http://www.turn2us.org.uk/information__resources/benefits/working_or_looking_for_work/self_employment.aspx and a visit to the CAB is probably a good idea.

Some advice - let your building society know asap about your circumstances. Bite the bullet and do it straight away. They don't like surprise missed payments very much at all, but if you let them know, they can be really helpful. Don't feel too embarrassed to do this - I know it's daunting - but it's in both yours and theirs interest to sort it out. Mortgage payments can be deferred for a time, there's all sorts of things that can be done. Also, you'll feel much better having some breathing space.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

Do it and don't tell anybody. gently caress the state; it'll gently caress you every chance it gets.

This is not very sound advice.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Camrath posted:

If you're concerned about creditors, then I'd recommend speaking to someone at Citizen's Advice Bureau. Their debt people are very good at contacting your creditors and at least getting the debts frozen - so the interest stops, if you're in a situation where you're unlikely to be able to pay.

They can also offer advice on any benefits that you might be able to qualify for, and provide form letters for you to complete. You can even get some of these on their website.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england.htm

Hope that helps.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The state is forcing people to work in the private sector for public money if they're on JSA. gently caress 'Em.

If the system worked and wasn't built around exploiting people I'd say you would be morally wrong to do it, but seeing as how IDS is a giant leech of misery just consider it going someway to balancing the karmic deficit he's created.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

hookerbot 5000 posted:

You could try getting your tenant to write to your MP, see if they would chase it up. Or could your tenant apply for a hardship loan?

Could your flatmate not borrow money from his family or friends?

Edit: Get him to go to the homeless department and tell them you are throwing him out. The risk of him landing on them might help

I've passed all this on to him, thank you.

Oberleutnant posted:

I appreciate the sentiment, but no. Absolutely not, ever.

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Having a mortgage is no barrier to benefits - there's even Mortgage Interest Support available if someone is on an income-based benefit - so don't panic too much. I'm guessing you are self-employed? This page is a good place to start http://www.turn2us.org.uk/information__resources/benefits/working_or_looking_for_work/self_employment.aspx and a visit to the CAB is probably a good idea.

Some advice - let your building society know asap about your circumstances. Bite the bullet and do it straight away. They don't like surprise missed payments very much at all, but if you let them know, they can be really helpful. Don't feel too embarrassed to do this - I know it's daunting - but it's in both yours and theirs interest to sort it out. Mortgage payments can be deferred for a time, there's all sorts of things that can be done. Also, you'll feel much better having some breathing space.

Thanks, looking over that link now.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Poverty porn, Southend edition!

Half a dozen of these on lamp-posts down my road. (well, not anymore...)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Saki posted:

I don't think Simon Jenkins, notable Guardian commentator, is particularly right-wing though?
He's socially liberal(ish) and pro civil liberties, but also economically conservative, ie low taxes and a small state. He used to edit the Times, and the Evening Standard.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Camrath posted:

Thanks, looking over that link now.

That's crushingly depressing. Eligible benefits: £0.00.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Anybody followed the TTIP debate today? Caroline Lucas seems to have done a good job.

The Guardian posted:

Caroline Lucas, the Green MP, is speaking now. She tabled an amendment saying the TTIP talks should be “frozen in their entirety”, but it is not being put to a vote.

She says people are increasingly opposed to an agreement that could undermine democratic law-making.

The purpose of ISDS provisions are to give new rights to companies, she says. She quotes from a pro-TTIP briefing circulated in the City. It says TTIP would “set a precedent” and it addresses the question of why firms who lose out from a trade deal need ISDS provisions, and why they can’t just use national courts. It’s because ISDS provisions “depoliticise” the issue, the briefing says, and provides a “neutral panel”. But, Lucas says, most of us would assume that this is what the courts provide anyway. So why do we need this corporate-only dispute settlement mechanism? It is not depoliticising the issue; it is trying to take these issues out of public scrutiny. And it implies the current judicial system is not good enough for private companies. That attitude is “incredibly worrying”.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think you understand, you have more than enough money to build a mansion, you don't need another benefit mansion.

It's extremely difficult to get any money out of the government unless you're willing to lie through your teeth I'm afraid.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Camrath posted:

That's crushingly depressing. Eligible benefits: £0.00.

Ah, sorry to hear that. Hie thee to the Citizen's Advice (just after you phone the Building Society). It's worth giving your bank a call too, giving them a heads up should save you some on fees if the overdraft limit is breached.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Camrath, I think you'd be best advised to swallow your pride and call your parents to ask them for a short-term loan if they can help you out. I can entirely understand your reluctance, but realistically it could easily take a month or more for any benefits you and your tenant are owed to be sorted out and in the meantime you have bills you can't pay and only a nearly-maxed credit card plus two unreliable and inadequate income sources to cover living expenses.

You also probably need to have a serious talk with your housemates about your financial situation. At the end of the day, the problem you're going to have to deal with is that you have a household of three adults in which no one is bringing in any sort of significant consistent income.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Am I to understand you need to last two weeks before his benefits come through? Or have I misread?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

LemonDrizzle posted:

Camrath, I think you'd be best advised to swallow your pride and call your parents to ask them for a short-term loan if they can help you out. I can entirely understand your reluctance, but realistically it could easily take a month or more for any benefits you and your tenant are owed to be sorted out and in the meantime you have bills you can't pay and only a nearly-maxed credit card plus two unreliable and inadequate income sources to cover living expenses.

You also probably need to have a serious talk with your housemates about your financial situation. At the end of the day, the problem you're going to have to deal with is that you have a household of three adults in which no one is bringing in any sort of significant consistent income.

No argument there. Serious talk has already been had, and was terminated because we were both getting ourselves so worked up. Round 2 tomorrow.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Oberleutnant posted:

The Labour Party of my dreams would stand up for poorer people. Where is it?
Nice to see somebody outside our UKMT Socialist hugbox Support Group saying this for a change

I thought Kevin McKenna did a decent job:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/10/jim-murphy-how-to-make-glasgow-man-love-labour

quote:

I entreat you, Jim, establish a clear and radical leftwing identity for Labour in Scotland. Here are some suggestions: restore Clause 4 as one of the cornerstones of the party’s philosophy. Of course you couldn’t do this in England, but Glasgow Man would rejoice at its return. Pledge to stop Scotland becoming a police state by bringing our coppers back into the community and out of Stephen House’s private army. End the charitable status of private schools and stop getting hung up about pupil/teacher ratios. Instead, devote your energies to establishing educational enterprise zones in Scotland’s most deprived areas. Embrace the living wage.

Desist from fatuous claims about providing 1,000 more nurses than the SNP would, as contrived a piece of political posturing as I’ve ever seen, and instead work to bring an end to the obscenity of two-tier health provision in this country. Pledge to establish a six-month-long health and inequality symposium, bringing together Scottish, UK and international thinkers in these fields; be ready to fund and embrace their proposals, no matter how radical. I promise you, Jim, this will bear fruit, even if not within either of our lifetimes. Reject the abject, neoliberal doctrine of profit before people that disfigures Westminster politics. Seize back our lost lands, Jim. And listen to me closely: never again curry favour with cartoon, neocon sects such as the Henry Jackson Society.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

:siren: GOON PROJECT :siren:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-30830799

BBC News posted:

Rudyard Lake Steam Railway in Staffordshire for sale

A miniature steam railway in Staffordshire, including a mile-and-a-half of track, six steam engines, four diesels, 13 carriages, a footbridge, two signal boxes and three stations, has gone up for sale.

The Rudyard Lake Steam Railway, which is owned by Mike and Eileen Hanson, has an asking price of £349,950. Mr Hanson, who is selling because he "wants some time to himself", described the line as "the ultimate train set". The line attracts 40,000 people a year.

Mr Hanson said: "We have had the railway since 2000 and have come to the point where it's time to do something else." He said he had was working in an office as an accountant when the opportunity came along to buy the track. "I've been into trains all my life and we put a silly offer in," he said. "Since then we have probably invested hundreds of thousands of pounds in it. It's the ultimate train set. We have built the station and the café and added all the engines and carriages."

The railway, which also includes a cafe, wagons and engine sheds, is run by a small number of part-time staff and a group of about 25 volunteers.

"It's the full kit," said Mr Hanson. "But it's not the sort of thing you're going to do to make a lot of money. I hope we find a buyer who's a bit like me - an enthusiast who wants to make it work. "

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Nationalise that railway imo

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I would love to help out with something like that, although it seems like a lot of money to raise.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

No argument there. Serious talk has already been had, and was terminated because we were both getting ourselves so worked up. Round 2 tomorrow.

How much are you short of? I can send £50 your way. You can set up a profile on a crowd funding website. Pretty sure other goons would help you out as well.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

awesome-express posted:

How much are you short of? I can send £50 your way. You can set up a profile on a crowd funding website. Pretty sure other goons would help you out as well.

Thank you very much, but no. I have Views on things like online begging, have spoken out about it before, and I'd sooner be broke than a hypocrite. But the offer is very kind indeed.

I've made some calls, looks like the next couple of weeks will be tighter than a gnat's arse, but in the short term at least things will be survivable.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

Poverty porn, Southend edition!

Half a dozen of these on lamp-posts down my road. (well, not anymore...)

Huh. Wonder why they changed the contact mobile number and email and removed two of the bullet-point questions ("Are you better off on benefits then if you had a job?" and "What is life really like on benefits?") since I removed some of these posted around Leith in October.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

Huh. Wonder why they changed the contact mobile number and email and removed two of the bullet-point questions ("Are you better off on benefits then if you had a job?" and "What is life really like on benefits?") since I removed some of these posted around Leith in October.

Why did you remove them?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Prolly for the same reason DesperateDan did?
Not facilitating poverty porn.

I also drew them to the attention of people working with the Autonomous Centre Edinburgh/Coalition Against Poverty etc. so that they could respond/investigate if they wanted.

e: It is interesting that the most leading question (Are you better off on benefits...?) has been removed now - change in thrust for the programme or just trying not to make it too obvious?

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 15, 2015

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

Thank you very much, but no. I have Views on things like online begging, have spoken out about it before, and I'd sooner be broke than a hypocrite. But the offer is very kind indeed.

I've made some calls, looks like the next couple of weeks will be tighter than a gnat's arse, but in the short term at least things will be survivable.

I respect that. Best of luck to you man.

Somewhat unrelated, but I wonder how many of us North London goons are out there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

awesome-express posted:

I respect that. Best of luck to you man.

Somewhat unrelated, but I wonder how many of us North London goons are out there.

Me! I'd happily stump up for a no-interest loan if I had a job, but things aren't that secure for me right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One nice thing that's happened since the recession is that a lot of banks and building societies seem a lot more up front and willing to help you out if you're struggling fianancially. I dunno if they've always been happy to do that or whether it's a new thing but certainly it seems more publicised. Talking to your bank or creditors is a good idea if you're up poo poo creek because they do generally seem keen to not have you go bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

One nice thing that's happened since the recession is that a lot of banks and building societies seem a lot more up front and willing to help you out if you're struggling fianancially. I dunno if they've always been happy to do that or whether it's a new thing but certainly it seems more publicised. Talking to your bank or creditors is a good idea if you're up poo poo creek because they do generally seem keen to not have you go bankrupt.

It's usually more effort to gently caress with you than to just put you on your payment plan from their perspective.

• Locked thread